1st National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement Inaugurated
- MoS Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir to inaugurate first National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement tomorrow. Conference expected to deliberate a roadmap for drug law enforcement
- The Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir will inaugurate the two-day first National Conference on Drug Law Enforcement here tomorrow. The conference is being organsied by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Ministry of Home Affairs. The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh will be the Chief Guest at the closing session on 24th
- More than 50 State and Central law enforcement agencies involved in combating drug trafficking have confirmed their participation in this Conference. This includes State Police forces, State Excise departments, Border Guarding Forces, Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF), Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI), Central Bureau of Narcotics (CBN), CBI and other Central agencies involved in drug enforcement work. More than 110 delegates are expected to attend this Conference.
- Conference working sessions will be focused on various topics such as ‘Wider context of drug trafficking in India’, ‘Financial Investigations’ and ‘Foreign & Cyber Investigations’. There will be presentations by various agencies attending the Conference as well as specialist presentations on topics of importance. There will also be experience sharing by UN and foreign law enforcement agencies.
Chandigarh Becomes North India’s 1st City to Install Digital Automatic Speed Gun Cameras
- Chandigarh, the City Beautiful, has been ranked as the North India’s 1st city to install digital automatic speed gun cameras for traffic management.
- Chandigarh police have installed high- tech speed cameras that has the facility to see in the night vision technology to check vehicles driving more than the permissible speed limit.
- The cameras that has installed will be help in the police to record the speed of the running of the traffic and issue challan to anyone driving above the city speed limit. The digital cameras also have the facility that will scan the speed and to caution the motorists of their speed. If the speed is more than the given limit a challan will be sent to the vehicle owner’s residential address along with the image of over speeding.
- UT administration has always try to more secure in term with the safety and traffic management. Chandigarh is one of the some of the that considers driving on high-beam inside the city limit as a punishable offence.
World’s Longest Sandstone Cave Discovered in Meghalaya
- The state that is known for the many of the caves that is that has hidden, Meghalaya now has been comes in the longest sandstone cave in the world. The cave named Krem Puri discovered near the village of Laitsohum in Mawsynram area of East Khasi Hills district.
- With the total of the length that is of 24,583 metres, Krem Puri was discovered back in the year 2016 but the actual length of the cave has been get by the Meghalaya Adventurers’ Association (MAA) during one of its recent expeditions.
- In the starting it was the 6,000m longer than the in the recent of the listed sandstone cave in the world, Cueva El Samán, (18,200m) in Venezuela.
- In caves, there has the fossils of the dinosaurs, especially the Mosasaurus, a giant reptile that lived 66-76 million years ago.
BIRAC Celebrated 6th Foundation Day
- The Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) celebrated its 6th Foundation Day on Tuesday in New Delhi. A large number of dignitaries from the scientific and industry sectors both from attended Themed as ‘Sustaining Innovation – A Market Driven Pathway’, the event within the country and overseas.
- Inaugurating the event, the Chief Guest, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences and Environment, Forests and Climate Change, Government of India said, ‘BIRAC has played a critical role in supporting the entrepreneurial aspirations of brightest minds in the country through its programs and mentor support networks in keeping with the Government’s mandate. It is through these efforts that we are able to develop affordable products and technologies that will better the lives of our people. I commend the work of BIRAC and am convinced that this is only the beginning of success.’
- The Guest of Honor Dr. Vinod Paul, Member (Health), NITI Aayog, Government of India said, ‘The role that BIRAC has played in bringing together healthcare, entrepreneurship and science has been pivotal. From affordable devices or diagnostics, to treatments, BIRAC supported innovators and technologies are on their way to changing healthcare in India and beyond.’
- Through the course of six years, BIRAC has supported over 650 projects, more than 500 start-ups, & entrepreneurs, and 30 incubators across the country, resulting in over 100 products and technologies and 150 Intellectual property rights being generated.
1st Indian Sign Language Dictionary of 3000 Words Launched
- Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment at a function here, launched “First Indian Sign Language Dictionary of 3000 words” today. The dictionary has been developed by Indian Sign Language Research & Training Centre (ISLR&TC) under Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), M/o Social Justice & Empowerment. Ministers of State for Social Justice and Empowerment Shri Krishan Pal Gujar and Shri Ramdas Athwale and Shri Krishan Pal Gurjar were also present on the occasion.
- Addressing on the occasion, Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot said that the basic aim of developing the ISL Dictionary is to remove communications barriers between the deaf and hearing communities as it is focused on providing more information in Indian sign language. Its aim is to give Deaf people the constitutional right to speech and opportunity of freedom of expression and also bringing them into the main stream of the society. He said that soon many new words will be added in this dictionary. The ISL dictionary has focused on providing more information in Indian Sign Language. He hoped that more and more people use this dictionary and get the benefit of learning Indian Sign Language.
- ISLR&TC has been working on its dream project of developing the Indian Sign Language Dictionary for last one and a half years. As per the census 2011, there are 50, 71,007 Deaf people and 19, 98,535 with speech disability in India. ISLRTC, New Delhi realized the gravity of the situation and issues being faced by the large number of Deaf people in common communication.
- Therefore, ISLRTC has developed an ISL Dictionary for Deaf people and Hearing people, offering them the maximum words to learn and expressing their feelings, ideas etc. ISL dictionary consists of various categories of words for example legal terms, medical terms, academic terms, technical terms and daily use words. The videos are subtitled.
BANKING AND FINANCE
Allahabad Bank Gets Nod for ABFL Merger
- State-run Allahabad Bank on Wednesday has announced that the Ministry of Corporate Affairs has given the permission for the amalgamation of its wholly own subsidiary – All Bank Finance Ltd (ABFL)-with the lender.
- The bank’s board had also given the approval for the proposed merger in December in the year 2016. The Board of the company has decided for the give up of the NBFC (non-banking finance company) license in 2005.
- “..the Scheme of Amalgamation for amalgamation of its wholly-owned subsidiary namely All Bank Finance Ltd with the bank has been confirmed by the Regional Director (Eastern Region), Ministry of Corporate Affairs,” the bank said in a regulatory filing.
- The ABFL has given the fee based financial services such as trusteeship services (debenture trustee/security trustee), investment advisory and portfolio management services, distribution of Mutual Funds schemes and other corporate services including valuation of security and so on.
BHEL Inks Tech Pact with Korea-Based HLB Power
- State-run power equipment maker BHEL on Wednesday has announced that it has been collaborating with the technology collaboration agreement (TCA) with HLB Power, Republic of Korea.
- This partnership is for in-house design and will be manufacture of large size gates and dampers for use in coal fired power plants, that will be implemented or retrofitted with high capacity emission control equipment, a BHEL statement said.
- In the presence of Atul Sobti, CMD, BHEL, Subrata Biswas, Director (E, R&D) BHEL and Dr. Jong Weon Kim, CEO and Director, HLB Power at BHEL’s corporate office here signed the TCA.
- This TCA will has been going to help it in term of the capability for in-house design, manufacture and testing of very large size gates and dampers, the company said.
ISRO Ties Up with BHEL
- ISRO has entered into a Technology Transfer Agreement (TTA) with Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), which is one of the country’s leading PSUs, to transfer the technology for the manufacture of space grade Li-Ion cells. The TTA was signed at ISRO Headquarters, Bengaluru yesterday in the presence of Dr. K. Sivan, Chairman, ISRO and Mr. Atul Sobti, Chairman & Managing Director, BHEL.
- ISRO uses Li-Ion batteries as power sources for satellite and launch vehicle applications due to their high energy density, reliability and long cycle life. Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) of ISRO at Thiruvananthapuram has successfully developed the technology to produce space grade Li-ion cell, demonstrated the performance of the cell under various testing conditions and established its cycle life characteristics in accelerated mode. These cells are currently being used for various satellite and launch vehicle applications.
- This Li-ion cell Technology Transfer will enable BHEL to produce space grade Li-Ion cells which can meet the country’s space programme requirements. This technology can also be adopted to cater to the Li-Ion cell requirement for other national needs.
Elavenil Valarivan Wins Gold in Junior ISSF World Cup Shooting
- Indian shooter Elavenil Valarivan has created the world record and clinched the gold medal in 10m women’s air rifle event of the season’s first junior ISSF World Cup here on Thursday.
- Except of her finish in the term of the first, Elavenil has also combined with Shreya Agrawal and Zeena Khitta for the clinch of the team gold medal.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
John Bolton Replaces McMaster as US National Security Adviser
- National security adviser H.R. McMaster has given the resignation letter and his place has been going to take the former US ambassador and Fox News analyst John Bolton, President Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Thursday.
- “I am pleased to announce that, effective 4/9/18; @AmbJohnBolton will be my new National Security Advisor. I am very thankful for the service of General H.R. McMaster who has done an outstanding job & will always remain my friend. There will be an official contact handover on 4/19.”
- “The two have been discussing this for some time. The timeline was expedited as they both felt it was important to have the new team in place, instead of constant speculation,” a White House official said. “This was not related to any one moment or incident, rather it was the result of ongoing conversations between the two.”
International Day of the Unborn Child
- The International Day of the Unborn Child has been celebrated every March 25 yearly. This was firstly celebrated by the Pope John Paul II to coincide with the Feast of the Annunciation.
- John Paul II has pictured the day as “a positive option in favor of life and the spread of a culture for life to guarantee respect for human dignity in every situation”.