Delhi University launches helpline number for African students; extends admission deadline
- Delhi University has undertaken a slew of measures with an aim to enroll more African students, such as extension of online registration for foreign nationals till 31 May and answering their queries on email. The Foreign Students’ Registry (FSR) of the varsity has received over 300 applications from African nationals, the varsity registrar said in a statement.
- The varsity’s registrar said in the statement, “To increase the number, the varsity will be extending online registration deadline for foreign nationals from 20 April to 31 May. The varsity is committed to reaching out to international students which will result in strengthening social, cultural and political ties between the two countries”.
- In parts of Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR) attacks on African students took place earlier this year, and it resulted in a diplomatic backlash for India. Amnesty International in Nigeria had asked, “On 27 March, four Nigerian men were beaten up by locals. Why would people face such terror because of the color of their skin?”
- Chancellor Delhi University -Vice-President of India
- Founded on – 1922
Piyush Goyal launches energy efficient fan programme in UP
- In Uttar Pradesh Power minister Piyush Goyal has launched the National Energy Efficient Fan Programme (NEEFP) . The Power Minister said today under the scheme, BEE 5-star rated ceiling fans of 50 Watt will be distributed to consumers at an attractive EMI model.
- In Varanasi yesterday Goyal distributed energy efficient fans to 15 consumers. In collaboration with Purvanchal Vidyut Vitaran Nigam (PUVVNL) in Varanasi Energy efficient ceiling fans will be distributed by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL).
- To adopt the energy efficient fan programme Uttar Pradesh is the second state in the country. It is estimated that consumers electricity bills will reduce by about Rs 700-730 annually with the usage of 50 Watts BEE 5-star rated ceiling fans, distributed under the NEEFP.
- Therefore, the cost of recovery of purchasing these fans is less than 2 years. The fans are 30 per cent more energy efficient as compared to conventional fans, which ranges from 75-80 Watts, the Power Ministry said.
- Full form of NEEP- the National Energy Efficient Fan Programme
- Full form of PUVVNL- Purvanchal Vidyut Vitaran Nigam
Sohail Mahmood, Pakistan’s new High Commissioner to India, will constantly walk a tightrope
- Pakistan’s new high commissioner Sohail Mahmood designate to India, may well view his posting as one that caps a successful career. Not only due to tensions between the two neighbours, but also because of political infighting in Pakistan Equally, however, it could end on a high decibel note.
- His shoulder before he takes a step an ambassador has to always look over. But when Mahmood does so, all he is likely to see is a welter of accusations and counter-accusations, as Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his team trade barbs — not only with the Pakistan Army but with those of the same skin, including the ever ebullient former president, Asif Ali Zardari.
- Keeping the India-Pakistan relations on an even keel, while balancing divergent interests back home, the new ambassador designate will therefore have to be ambidextrous.
- Pakistan’s new high commissioner- Sohail Mahmood
State TV declares Hassan Rouhani winner of Iranian presidential election
- Iran’s state television has declared the President Hassan Rouhani giving him a second four-year term to see out his agenda calling for greater freedoms and outreach to the wider world the winner of the country’s presidential election.
- Based on vote tallies state TV offered its congratulations in a brief statement Saturday. At home and better relations with the outside world the 68-year-old has come to embody more liberal and reform-minded Iranians’ hopes for greater political freedom.
- Out of 38.9 million counted so far preliminary vote tallies earlier had Rouhani ahead with 22.8 million votes. Officials say more than 40 million people voted.
- President of Iran- Hassan Rouhani
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI may impose curbs on branch expansion by UBI
- The Reserve Bank of India direct it to make higher provisions to cover risks due to its rising stressed loans and may put restriction on United Bank of India’s -1.77 %’s branch expansion.
- The state-run lender a second category offender for risk threshold breach under prompt corrective action (PCA) measures continuous rise in its sticky loans makes under the new guidelines issued last month, said the analyst who requested not to be identified.
- It would be the second time in four years that United Bank of India (UBI) came under regulatory sanctions and be forced to take corrective measures in case the central bank initiates the action.
- RBI Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata
- Governor: Urjit Patel
Singapore’s DBS Bank adds over a million customers in India
- Singapore’s DBS Bank, has added more than a million customers through its digital banking foray even as it awaits a RBI approval to open a wholly owned subsidiary in India when many foreign banks are shrinking their operations.
- Digi-bank lunched last April allows customers to transfer money open a full-fledged savings account using Aadhaar card based fingerprint authentication to an e-wallet initially and later.
- Surojit Shome, CEO, DBS India said, “We now have 1.2 million individual customers which is a combination of savings accounts and wallet. Our deposits have grown well. Demonetisation has been more beneficial for everybody including us,”.
- CEO of DBS- Piyush Gupta
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Indian archers win team gold at World Cup in Shanghai
- By beating team Colombia in Shanghai to bag the gold medal in the World Cup Stage-1 event the Indian men’s compound archery team. Abhishek Verma, Amanjeet Singh and Chinna Raju Srither were a part of the victorious trio for India. In a closely-fought match the Indians beat Camilo Andres Cardona, Jose Carlos Ospina and Daniel Munoz 226-221. On Friday the Indians had earlier overcome USA 232-230 in the semi-final.
- To enter the bronze medal play-off in mixed pair event Earlier, Verma coupled with Jyothi Surekha Vennam. Including Olympians Atanu Das and Deepika Kumari, cut a sorry figure as they bowed out of their respective events early Indian recurve archers.
- Verma and Jyothi will take on the USA in the mixed pair bronze medal match. The duo lost to second seeded Korea 152 -158 in the semis. In the recurve section Atanu and Deepika came up with poor performances. Atanu made a quarterfinal exit after going down to Dutch debutant Steve Wijler.
- Population of sanghai -24.15 million
Science and Technology
SpaceX to launch Dragon spacecraft for commercial resupply mission to ISS
- NASA said in a statement on Saturday Dragon will lift into orbit atop the Falcon 9 rocket carrying crew supplies, equipment and scientific research to crew members living aboard the station. The flight will deliver investigations and facilities that study neutron stars, osteoporosis, solar panels and tools for Earth-observation.
- NASA said, “In addition to studying the matter within the neutron stars, the payload also includes a technology demonstration called the Station Explorer for X-ray Timing and Navigation Technology (SEXTANT), which will help researchers to develop a pulsar-based space navigation system,”.
- Full form of NASA- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Italian Open roundup: Rafa Nadal’s winning streak on clay ends, Venus Williams loses
- Thiem’s 6-4, 6-3 victory came after he was beaten by the Spaniard in the Madrid Open final last week.
- Thiem said, “Of course I came in with a very aggressive game style, because I knew that if I want to have a chance, then I have to do something different and be more aggressive. I knew that if it goes in, everything, maybe I have a chance. If not, maybe I also lose easy. But today was one of these days where I really felt the ball great on the racquet, and a lot of risky shots went in. It was a very, very good performance and I think probably one of my best matches.”
- The 30-year-old Nadal, had won consecutive clay-court tournaments in Monte Carlo who was seeded fourth, Barcelona and Madrid and was aiming for an eighth title at the Foro Italico as he prepares for the French Open in less than two weeks.
- Nadal said, “I just have to congratulate (Thiem), because he was better than me this afternoon. He played great in all aspects. Just well done for him. It’s obvious that I did not play my best match. I have been playing a lot … so is not easy after playing almost every day for the last four weeks”.
- Capital of ITLY- Rome
World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
- On May 21 World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is annually held to help people learn about the importance of cultural diversity and harmony.
- The Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity in Paris, France, on November 2, 2001 the General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) adopted.
- At the 57th session of the United Nations General Conference it was the 249th resolution adopted. It was adopted in the wake of the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 although the declaration was the culmination of years of work. This reaffirmed the need for intercultural dialogue to prevent segregation and fundamentalism.
- Full form of UNESCO- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization