Ministry of Railways permits m-Aadhar as one of the prescribed proofs of Identity for Rail Travel Purpose
- The Ministry of Railways on Wednesday has been announced that the m-Aadhar will be taken as the proof of identity while travelling in trains.
- The official statement released on Press Information Bureau by the Ministry of Railway stated, “Ministry of Railways has decided to permit m- Aadhar (Aadhar card on mobile app namely m- Aadhar launched by UIDAI) as one of the prescribed proofs of Identity for Rail Travel purpose in any reserved class”.
- The report claimed, ‘”a mobile application launched by UIDAI, on m- Aadhar, a person can download his/her Aadhar Card. It can be done only on the mobile number to which Aadhar has been linked. For showing Aadhar, the person has to open the app and enter his/ her password to show the Aadhar Card”.
- It further stated, “m- Aadhar when shown by the passenger on his/her mobile after entering the password should be accepted as proof of identity for undertaking journey in any reserved class over Indian Railways.”
- The Ministry of Railways is a ministry in the Government of India, responsible for the country’s rail transport
- Formed: 16 April 1853
- Jurisdiction: India
- Headquarters: Rail Bhavan, 1, Raisina Road, New Delhi
- Cabinet minister: Piyush Goyal
- Minister of state: Manoj Sinha, Rajen Gohain
- Subsidiaries: Indian Railways, Railway Board
UGC rolls out application process for institutes seeking status of eminence
- The University Grants Commission has announced the startup of the 90-day application process for universities and that will be for the public and private for the present the status of institutions of eminence, which will provide them freedom from the regular regulatory mechanisms.
- From the March-April 2018, the chosen institutions will be accorded the status of “Institutions of Eminence” with a mandate to achieve world-class status over 10 years.
- “The institutions which can apply are divided into three categories — existing government educational institutions, existing private higher educational institutions and sponsoring organisation for setting up of private institutions,” Kewal Kumar Sharma, Secretary (Higher Education), told reporters.
- “The mission is to set up universities with all-India character and with international standards. For a large country like India the possibility of providing globally recognised best education is what we are trying to create,” said Mr. Sharma.
- “The process for setting up of institutions of eminence gets underway from 13 September with the invitation for applications. The institutions which can apply are divided into three categories – existing government educational institutions, existing private higher educational institutions and sponsoring organization for setting up of private institutions,” Kewal Kumar Sharma, secretary, ministry of HRD told reporters.
London retains top in 2017 Global Financial Centers Index; Mumbai ranked at 60th position
Z/Yen group on 11 September 2017 has announced and showed its twenty-second Global Financial Centres Index (GFCI 22). By the rank of the index the London has on the top with the 780 points, while New York was placed at the second position with 756 points.
Top 10 Centres in the Index are
Zomato acquires Runnr
- Food technology start-up Zomato Media Pvt. Ltd has taken the new step that is the Runnr as part of a widely expected, in that there will be the all the things will be in the stock with the former significantly to raise its food delivery business, amid intense competition from rapidly-growing rivals such as Swiggy.
- “We’ve been adding to our Runnr team steadily over the past week; it is already 1,500 strong, and growing by the day…Yes, that’s right, we just signed our long-rumoured acquisition of Runnr,” Goyal said in the blog post.
- “Emotionally, the deal has been in place for a couple of months now, and both the teams have been working closely with each other quite some time now. So much so, Mohit Kumar, the founder and CEO of Runnr, has been living in Delhi (moving from Bangalore) for about two months already,” he added.
- “For the record, we have maintained that the most cost-efficient delivery fleet is the restaurant’s own, where they can use the same staff during off-peak hours for back-of-house and marketing activities. That belief is still intact. Keeping that in mind, Runnr will continue to function as an independent logistics company (owned by Zomato) offering the full stack of logistical services to players other than Zomato as well – e.g. pharma, grocery, e-commerce, etc. This will ensure that the delivery fleet capacity that we build operates on a positive unit economics level while serving the mega peaks in the food delivery business,” Goyal said.
- “On my part, whenever I see a delivery boy on the road, I slow down (or stop) to respect the right of way. After all, every meal matters,” said Goyal.
- Available in- English, Turkish, Portuguese, Indonesian, Spanish, Czech, Slovak, Polish, Italian
- Founded- July 2008
- Headquarters- Gurgaon, Haryana, India
- Area served- India, Australia, United States, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Lebanon, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Slovakia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Brazil, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Malaysia
- Founder(s)- Deepinder Goyal, Pankaj Chaddah
- CEO- Deepinder Goyal
- Key people – Deepak Gulati (COO), Gunjan Patidar (CTO)
- Industry- Consumer Services
- Services- Restaurant Search & Discovery, Online Ordering, Table Reservations & Management, Whitelabel Apps, POS Systems
BANKING & FINANCE
Nagaraja Sharma appointed new CMD of United India Insurance
- The Union government has recruit the M Nagaraja Sharma as the chairman and managing director of United India Insurance (UII).
- The appointments committee of the Union Cabinet given the approval of the selection, a government notification said.
- Sharma, who is the recents director and general manager of UII, has been going to take the charge from next day itself. His retirement may be in the May next year.
- The post of chairman and MD was remain blank after the retirement of Milind Kharat a few months ago.
- Headquarters: Chennai
- CEO: Shri A.V.Girija Kumar (Mar 2017–)
- Founded: 18 February 1938
Hindustan Shipyard Ltd, Hyundai to join hands in ship building
- The field has been constructed that is by the partnership between Hyundai Heavy Industries Company Ltd of South Korea and the Hindustan Shipyard Ltd that for the devlopment of the fly of the ships for the Navy in both the countries.
- The agreement that has to be signed that is likely to be next years. There are the meeting has been helding between the MoD and South Korea. Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Hyundai in May 2015 when the issue of mutual cooperation was discussed.
- HSL Chairman and Managing Director LV Sarat Babu said on Wednesday that the first ship was expected to roll out in October, 2022, from the Hyundai facility in South Korea. Like this only there, the construction of another FSS will start at HSL with the guidance of Hyundai.
- “Our plan is to roll out one FSS every 10 months after the delivery of the first vessel from Hyundai,” the CMD said.
- “The total cost of the five FSS would be around ₹9,500 crore,” he said.
- The Hyundai Motor Company is a South Korean multinational automotive manufacturer headquartered in Seoul, South Korea
- Customer service: 1800 11 4645
- Headquarters: Seoul, South Korea
- Production output: 4,962 million units (2014)
- CEO: Chung Mong-koo (14 Mar 2014–), Choong Ho Kim (15 Mar 2013–), Gap Han Yoon (16 Mar 2012–)
- Subsidiaries: Kia Motors, Genesis Motors, Beijing Hyundai, MORE
- Parent organization: Hyundai Motor Group
Science and Technology
Uttar Pradesh tax department launches webpage for GST related complaints
- The Uttar Pradesh tax department has published and initiated the web page that will allow the traders and others submit their complaints and feedback related to the GST, a state official said today.
- “Traders, businessmen and others can forward their complaints and problems related to the new tax regime GST to the UP commercial tax department through the page,” commercial tax commissioner Mukesh Meshram said today.
- “The page, comtax.up.nic.in/feedback.htm, facilitates uploading of supporting documents for any complaint and will help the department address GST related issues,” the official said.
- “Traders can raise queries related to migration, registration, return, payment/challan, composition scheme, backend issue, connectivity, eway Bill and others through the page,” the official said.
14 year old Indian Rishabh Shah wins two bronze medals at Western Asia Youth Chess Championship
- Rishabh Shah from Mumbai has won the two bronze medals in the under-14 rapid and blitz formats of the 2nd Western Asia Youth Chess Championship which was in the recent has held in the Waskaduwa in Sri Lanka.
- Third-ranked Rishabh (ELO 1,667 points), who get the tranning from the South Mumbai Chess Academy, started with a win against Sri Lankas Alwala A D Hansaja Ramith in the opening round.
- “Its an honour to represent and win medals for our country. Winning the world chess title is my goal,” he said.
- Sri Lankas Candidate Master G M H Thilakarathne (ELO 1,781) picked the gold with a tally of six points, while Bangladeshs Mohammad Fahad Rahman finished with 5.5 points bagging the silver.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
National Book awards 2017: Jesmyn Ward and Jennifer Egan among finalists
- There are the list of the 2017 National Book award for fiction that has been announced on Friday, with 10 contenders vying for one of the highest honors in American literature.
- The complete list is below.
- “Dark at the Crossing” by Elliot Ackerman Knopf / Penguin Random House
- “The King Is Always Above the People: Stories” by Daniel Alarcón Riverhead Books / Penguin Random House
- “Miss Burma” by Charmaine Craig Grove Press / Grove Atlantic
- “Manhattan Beach” by Jennifer Egan Scribner / Simon & Schuster
- “The Leavers” by Lisa Ko Algonquin Books / Workman Publishing
- “Pachinko” by Min Jin Lee Grand Central Publishing / Hachette Book Group
- “Her Body and Other Parties: Stories” by Carmen Maria Machado Graywolf Press
- “A Kind of Freedom” by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton Counterpoint Press
- “Sing, Unburied, Sing” by Jesmyn Ward Scribner / Simon & Schuster
- “Barren Island” by Carol Zoref New Issues Poetry & Prose
Veteran actor and ‘Sopranos’ mobster Frank Vincent dies at 80
- Frank Vincent, a veteran character actor who use to play the tough people, including mob boss Phil Leotardo on “The Sopranos,” has died at the age of 80 years.
- “Legendary Actor and accomplished Musician Frank Vincent has passed away peacefully at the age of 80 surrounded by his family on September 13, 2017. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time,” the family’s statement read.
- Vincent had small roles in two Spike Lee films, “Do the Right Thing” and “Jungle Fever.” Among his more than 50 movies, Vincent also was in “The Pope of Greenwich Village,” ”Last Exit to Brooklyn,” ”Night Falls on Manhattan” and “Shark Tale.”
International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer
- September 16 was designated by firstly introduced by the United Nations General Assembly as the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer.
- This was the established in December 19, in the year 2000, in commemoration of the date, in 1987, on which nations signed the Montreal Protocol on in Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer.
- In the year 1994, the UN General Assembly proclaimed 16 September the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer, commemorating the date of the signing, in 1987, of the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer.
- There was the hole in the ozone layer was observed 30 years after the protocol was signed. Due to the nature of the gases responsible for ozone depletion their chemical effects are expected to continue for between 50 to 100 years.