Inauguration of MITS Mega Food Park at Rayagada, Odisha
- On the June 1st, 2017 by the Honble Minister of Food Processing Industries Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal have announced the the first Mega Food Park in the state of Odisha M/s MITS Mega Food Park Pvt. Ltd. at Rayagada. In the last 3 years by the present government this is the 7th Mega Food Park operationalized.
- Badal said that this mega food park has been set up at a cost of Rs 80.17 crore and on a 50.05 acre plot. The Centre government has already provided a financial assistance of Rs 50 crore to the park. This food park has facilities like fully operational industrial sheds for SMEs, developed industrial plots for lease to food processing units, rice processing complex of 12 tonnes per hour, dry warehouse of 10,000 tonne, cold store of 2,500 tonnes, multi fruit processing facility and other food processing facilities.
- Union food processing minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal, “Mega Food Park will benefit not only the people of Rayagada but also those in the adjoining districts of Nabarangpura, Ganjam and Khurda. Common facilities and enabling infrastructure is created at Central Processing Centre and facilities for primary processing and storage is created near the farm in the form of Primary Processing Centers (PPCs) and Collection Centres (CCs). he Mega Food Park will leverage an additional investment of about Rs 250 crore in 25-30 food processing units in the park.”
- On this occasion Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti, MoS (Food Processing Industries), Government of India, were also present.
- Minister of Food Processing Industries – Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal
Pratibha Patil bats for Sharad Pawar as next President
- On Thursday the Former President Pratibha Patil said about the former Union Minister and NCP chief Sharad Pawar that he should not decline the Opposition parties’ offer and run for presidency.
- Former President Pratibha Patil said , “There are reports of Pawar being offered, by all the Opposition parties, the candidature for President post. He has been declining it. He has not sought my suggestion, so I can only give my opinion. I think he should not decline the offer. There are reasons, but I will not talk about them in the open. I am sure the best wishes of women will be with Pawar, as he was the one who gave recognition to them in politics by introducing reservation in the local civic body”.
- “If there is conviction then only it transforms into action. It was his conviction that made him take decision in the interest of women, by giving them reservation in local civic bodies and at various other levels. The policy decisions are mostly taken to gain political benefit, but Pawar had a vision on the situation in future,” she said.
- The event of the presidency also marked up to 25 years since women were given reservation in local civic bodies, a decision taken during Pawar’s tenure as the chief minister of Maharashtra.
- Pratibha Devisingh Patil is an Indian politician who served as the 12th President of India from 2007 to 2012.
- A member of the Indian National Congress, Patil is the only woman to hold the office.
- Born: December 19, 1934 (age 82), Nadgaon, India
- Party: Indian National Congress
- Awards: Glamour Award The Chosen Ones
- Education: Mooljee Jetha College, Jalgaon, Government Law College, Mumbai
India ranked 137th in the Global Peace Index 2017
1. In the report of the Global Peace Index India was on ranked 141 the result of which declaired on Wednesday on a making it less peaceful than countries like Burundi, Serbia and Burkina Faso with violence taking a 680-billion dollar toll on its economy in 2015.
2. Global Peace Index have showed its reports of ranking the 163 countries, compiled by the global think tank Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP), followed by South Sudan, Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia Syria has been named as the least peaceful. On the other hand, Iceland was ranked as the world’s most peaceful country, followed by Denmark and Austria.
3. In the report it is said, “India’s scores for ongoing domestic and international conflict and militarisation have deteriorated slightly. The country remains vulnerable to acts of terror and security threats at its shared border with Pakistan. As such, the number of deaths caused by externally organised terror strikes has risen over the year”.
4. “In 2015, violence containment expenditure in India totalled USD 679.8 billion PPP, an increase of 7 % from 2008. At 9 % of GDP this was ranked 65th in the world,” Killelea said.
1. Iceland – 1st Rank
2. Denmark- 2nd Rank
3. Austria- 3rd Rank
4. New Zealand- 4th Rank
Modi-Putin summit: Officials working overtime to iron out details of nuclear power project in Tamil Nadu
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived at St Petersburg in Russia at the night of Wednesday for an annual summit with President Vladimir Putin during which the two sides will sign a host of agreements, with all eyes on a deal to build with Russia’s help the last two units of India’s largest nuclear power plant.
2. Pankaj Saran, India’s ambassador to Russia said to PTI, “There is a lot of mutual trust and personal chemistry between the two leaders that has developed over the last three years. The leaders will take stock of the current relationship and discuss a blueprint for a vision of the future”.
3. “Our relations with Russia are on a different pedestal and we have a full agenda between us that is important to both of us. We have clear understanding of our core concerns and vital security interests,” he said, hours before Modi was to arrive from Spain.
4. With hours to go before the summit, Indian officials told PTI that last-minute talks are taking place to iron out details and language of the agreement on a line of credit for building Unit 5 and 6 of the Kundankulam nuclear power plant in Tamil Nadu. “The agreement remains work in progress,” the source said.
1. CM of Tamil Nadu- Edappadi K Palaniswami
2. Tamil Nadu Governor- C Vidyasagar Rao
3. Districts: 32
4. Population: 67.86 million (2012)
5. Capital: Chennai
6. Formation: 26 January 1950†
7. Colleges and Universities: Anna University, Annamalai University
BANKING & FINANCE
India signs loan agreement with the World Bank for USD 36 million for “Himanchal Pradesh Public Financial Management Capacity Building Program”
1. For Himachal Pradesh Public Financial Management Capacity Building Program was signed today in New Delhi an agreement for IBRD Credit of USD 36 Million from World Bank by Shri Raj Kumar, Joint Secretary (MI), Department of Economic Affairs on behalf of the Government of India and Mr. Junaid Kamal Ahmad, Country Director, World Bank (India) on behalf of the World Bank.
2. The Implementing Entity Agreement was signed by the Additional Director, Treasuries, Accounts and Lotteries, on behalf of Government of Himachal Pradesh (GoHP), and the Country Director (India) on behalf of the World Bank.
3. The program focuses on the priority areas identified by the Government of Himachal Pradesh, which were articulated in various stakeholder workshops during the planning of the programm. USD 36 million will be financed by the bank from the programme size is USD 45 million, and the remaining amount will be funded out of State Budget. The programme duration is total of 5 years.
4. Improve the efficiency of Public Expenditure Management and Tax Administration in Himachal Pradesh is the objective of the project. The Program is expected to boost the efficiency of key departments, improving budget credibility, strengthening systems and procedures to improve fiscal discipline, improving revenue administration to increase fiscal space, and targeted organisational reforms including human resource reforms.
1. Himachal Pradesh is a northern Indian state in the Himalayas
2. It’s home to scenic mountain towns and resorts such as Dalhousie.
3. Host to the Dalai Lama, Himachal Pradesh has a strong Tibetan presence.
4. This is reflected in its Buddhist temples and monasteries, as well as its vibrant Tibetan New Year celebrations.
5. Capital: Shimla
6. Population: 6.856 million (2012)
7. Chief Minister: Virbhadra Singh
8. Colleges and Universities: Himachal Pradesh University,
Science and Technology
Japan launches new satellite to improve GPS
1. On Thursday Japan launched a new satellite to improve the global positioning system’s (GPS) accuracy and establish an efficient communication system in the event of natural disasters.
2. The latest version of the H-IIA rocket with the Michibiki 2 communications satellite on board from the Tanegashima Island space centre in Kagoshima launched by the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries prefecture at 9.17 a.m.
3. Combining with the U.S. GPS and the Japanese system will enhance the increase the precision of position information and stability of receiving radio waves. The U.S. GPS has a margin of error of about 10 meters but together with the Japanese system positioning error will be reduced to only several centimeters.
4. “After we establish the four-satellite network, its use can expand into self-driving cars, agriculture, construction and other fields,” Yosuke Tsuruho, a state minister in charge of space policy, told reporters, according to Jiji Press.
1. Japan is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean with dense cities, imperial palaces, mountainous national parks and thousands of shrines and temples.
2. Capital: Tokyo
3. Currency: Japanese yen
4. Emperor: Akihito
5. Prime minister: Shinzō Abe
Ramachandra Guha quits board panel after he opposed Virat Kohli’s say on coach
1. “He didn’t mince words. He put it on mail that the captain and coaches are already deciding commentators, and if they are allowed to pick the coach of their own choice, they will soon be deciding the selectors, even the CEO,” the official said.
2. Shirke, who was part of the coach selection process last year, told The Indian Express, “There had been some murmurs about this (Kumble-Kohli rift) even at the time of Mr Kumble’s appointment. At that time, our president (Anurag Thakur) had taken the initiative and had a detailed discussion with both parties, and it was decided that since the cricket committee (CAC) had recommended Mr Kumble as the best option, we should go ahead with that. Therefore, I think the real reason for a one-year contract was that we would work and evolve, and see how this went, so as to keep the options open at a future date.”
3. “Let us say he (Kohli) had his own views about it. And like I said, our president, Mr Thakur, took the initiative and told him that this was the unanimous choice of the cricket committee and we would have to abide by their recommendation and Kohli should accept it,” Shirke said.
1. Full form of BCCI- Board of Control for Cricket in India
2. Chairman: Vinod Rai (interim)
3. Secretary: Amitabh Choudhary
4. Vice president: Rajeev Shukla
5. Headquarters: Mumbai, India
6. Chief Exec: Rahul Johri
7. Men’s coach: Anil Kumble
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Kapil Sharma, Priyanka Chopra honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Award
1. Dadasaheb Phalke’s grandson, Chandrashekhar Pusalkar (son of his daughter, Mansi Phalke) also supports these awards. He told DNA, “First of all, we feel sorry about the manner in which Dadasaheb Phalke’s name is being misused everywhere. Even when it concerns the Central Government awards, which are supposed to be the most credible awards, we haven’t been invited for a single award function in the past 46 years. They did not even bother to locate us. In that respect, the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy though it is a private academy, took the trouble of tracing us.”
2. Chandrashekhar Pusalkar told DNA: “There is a Foundation award besides a Dadasaheb Excellence awards and another award. Initially, we welcomed them, but later learnt that all kinds of things were happening backstage like people purchasing awards. It is disappointing that Dadasaheb Phalke’s name has become like a marketing commodity, being used by people with an intention of commercial gains.”
3. “We have been told that these people float big names in the market and generate sponsors for the awards. They are definitely not for a social cause. The stars and the people who were accepting these awards are unaware about the fact that they were not the real awards,” Mr Jain said.
1. The Dadasaheb Phalke Award is India’s highest award in cinema
2. First awardees: Devika Rani
3. Recent awardee(s): Kasinathuni Viswanath
4. Instituted: 1969
5. Total awarded: 48
6. Cash award: 1 million INR (US$15,000)
7. People also search for: Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan
Coronation Street actor Roy Barraclough dies aged 81
1. Goodyear, 75, said: “My dearest friend, Roy Barraclough, has passed away at 6am this morning. I have no words to describe how devastated I feel. We kept in close touch and spoke to each other at least two or three times every week. I will treasure all the happy times we had working and laughing together. We were just like a married couple – crazy, I know, but true. Rest in peace, Roy. I will always love you.
2. Executive producer Kieran Roberts said: “Roy was a delightful person as well as a wonderful actor and will be greatly missed by all of us connected with the programme.”
3. “The fact that the character of Alec Gilroy was at the heart of the show for so many years and was held in such affection by so many fans is a tribute to Roy’s genius, for drama as well as comedy.”