Government approves first phase of Army reforms
- In the first term of the phase the government on Wednesday has given the approval for the Indian Army to enhance the combat capability of the forces for the generate the defence expenditure in a phased manner by December 2019 based on the Lt Gen Shekatkar committee.
- Lt Gen Shekatkar said, “This is certainly a welcome step and a good beginning. The committee made a total of 188 recommendations, out of which 99 were initially approved by the Defence Minister. Now they have ordered implementation of 65 of those 99. I hope that in due course of time the government will not only implement the 99 but also the remaining ones. Implementation will result in significant saving of manpower, funds and infrastructure. It will improve quality, accountability and answerability.”
- “My only fear is that those who sit behind the files in centres of power do not scuttle this issue because of the fear of losing their own empire. These recommendations will result not only in better combat potential but also combat endurance, both of which are crucial,” he said.
- “Restructuring of the Indian Army is aimed at enhancing combat capability in a manner that the officers will be used for improving operational preparedness and civilians will be redeployed in different wings of the armed forces for improving efficiency,” stated a press release issued after the Cabinet meet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- “The net effect of this is, as to various, different functions in the Army, as per the changed environment of technology, economy, combat capability of the Army, how it is to be best utilised,” said Arun Jaitley, Minister of Finance, Defence and Corporate Affairs, while briefing reporters on the decision.
- The Indian Army is the land-based branch and the largest component of the Indian Armed Forces. The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Army, and it is commanded by the Chief of Army Staff, who is a four-star general
- Motto: “Service Before Self”
- Chief of the Army Staff (COAS): General Bipin Rawat, UYSM, AVSM, YSM, SM, VSM
- Vice Chief of the Army Staff (VCOAS): Lieutenant General Sarath Chand, UYSM, AVSM, VSM
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 15 August 1947, India
- Color: Gold, red and black
Government to release new industrial policy
- The department of industrial policy and promotion (DIPP) under the commerce and industry ministry has been going to pass the new effect until the October for the effort of the Indian branded products with higher value addition and will review the existing foreign direct investment (FDI) policy regime to facilitate greater technology transfer.
- “It is time to shift from a policy of ‘continuity with change’ in 1991 to radical and accelerated reforms for greater strategic engagement with the world. A comprehensive, actionable, outcome-oriented industrial policy will enable industry to deliver a larger role in the economy; to fulfil its role as the engine of growth and to shoulder the responsibility of adding more value and jobs,” a discussion paper released by DIPP said.
- The six thematic areas are “Manufacturing and MSME”; “Technology and Innovation”; “Ease of Doing Business”; “Infrastructure, Investment, Trade and Fiscal Policy”; and “Skills and Employability for the Future”.
- “Competitiveness can be improved by reducing the cost of infrastructure such as power, logistics, easing regulatory/compliance burden, reducing the cost of capital and improving labor productivity,” it added
- “The quantum of value addition has to be increased at all levels. Larger the value addition, greater the positive externalities from economic activity. Creating complete value chains domestically and globally or integrating into existing chains is vital to ensure that the world market is accessed at the right time,” it said.
Arunachal Pradesh, J&K are fastest growing economies: Central Statistics Office
- Jammu and Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh has been come in the list of the fastest economic growth of the year 2015-16, by the new series of the State domestic product data with 2011-12 as the base of the year by the Central Statistics Office.
- National growth rate in the term of the rate of the economic the States such as Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh has been expanded such as the 8-8.5 per cent that year. The national economy has been increases as the 8 per cent in 2015-16 at constant 2011-12 prices.
- In the term of the other state there is the double digit of the growth has been seen such as the Goa (11.5 per cent), Gujarat (11.1 per cent), Andhra Pradesh (11 per cent), Mizoram (10.9 per cent) and the Union Territory of Puducherry (10.3 per cent).
- Maharashtra has secure its place at the highest at the ₹16,59,776.05 crore (₹16.6 lakh crore) at constant 2011-12 prices. The second-biggest State economy is of the Tamil Nadu, that is of the ₹9,48,673.85 crore. Gujarat replaced the Uttar Pradesh to become third largest state. Gujarat’s economy was estimated at ₹9,01,375.28 crore and Uttar Pradesh at ₹9,01,256.8 crore. Karnataka has been placed at the fifth place at the ₹8,14,802.64 at constant 2011-12 prices.
- Arunachal Pradesh is one of the 29 states of India and holds the distinction of being the Northeastern-most state of the country
- Area: 83,743 km²
- Districts: 20
- Official bird: Great hornbill
- Official animal: Gayal
- Capitals: Guwahati (Judiciary), Itanagar
Ministry of Railways Signs two MoUs with Switzerland
- The two MoU has been signed by the prasence of the President of the Swiss Confederation, Mrs. Doris Leuthard to India on on Thursday i.e.31.8.2017 between Ministry of Railways and Swiss Confederation.
- “While it makes seated passengers feel squashed by the armrest, standing passengers tend to lose their balance. The design of the tilting trains counteract this,” an official said.
- The railway ministry has signed two MoUs with the Federal Department of the Environment, Transport and Communications of the Swiss Confederation for technical cooperation in rail sector in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The MoU aims at cooperation in the areas of:
- Traction Rolling stock
- EMU and Train sets
- Traction Propulsion Equipments
- Freight and Passenger Cars
- Tilting Trains
- Railway Electrification Equipments
- Train scheduling and operation improvement
- Railway Station modernization
- Multimodal transport
- Tunneling technology
BRICS Innovative Competitiveness Report 2017
- BRICS summit of year 2017: India is expecting the China Science and Technology Exchange Center say the China for the year 2025-2030, BRICS Innovative Competitive Report 2017 released by it.
- The report observed, “The average score of innovation index of each BRICS country would be on the rise for 2017-2025 as the overall national innovation competitiveness of BRICS countries would be constantly strengthened over time. It is predicted that the innovation competitiveness of India would see a significant rise with its growth rate probably surpassing China between 2025-2030.”
- The report notes: “international community lacks an in-depth strategic study on international collaboration among BRICS countries. It is urgent to set up a regular network for technology collaboration and transfer as both the governments and a regularly organized conference on technology transfer could no longer satisfy the needs for the transfer and flow of technology, funding, and talents under new circumstances.”
- “At the invitation of the President of People’s Republic of China, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will visit Xiamen in China’s Fujian province during September 3-5, 2017, to attend the 9th BRICS Summit,” India’s External Affairs Ministry said in a statement.
U.S. gives $225 million worth of conditional military assistance to Pakistan
- The Trump administration has announced that it has given the congress the $ 225 million that is for the conditional military assistance to Pakistan that the country can access only if it takes more action against terror groups.
- “Once Pakistan more aggressively pursues the Taliban and Haqqani network, the aid will be released — a determination to be made by Secretary of State Tillerson,” officials were quoted by the report as saying.
- “If the State Department had failed to notify Congress in the next few weeks of its intention to spend the money, it would have been returned to the United States Treasury,” it said
- “We value our cooperation with Pakistan and want to see it continue,” a State Department spokesperson told in the report of the media.
- “The President has been clear that we are looking to the Pakistani government to take decisive action against militant groups based in Pakistan that are a threat to the region. It is vital to US interests that Pakistan prevent terrorist sanctuaries,” the spokesperson said.
- The United States of America, commonly known as the United States or America, is a federal republic composed of 50 states, a federal district, five major self-governing territories, and various possessions
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
- Dialing code: +1
- President: Donald Trump
Kenya Supreme Court declares presidential election invalid, calls for new poll
- Kenya’s Supreme Court nullified President Uhuru Kenyatta’s election win has been get in the win on Friday and that is the order of the 60 days of the last month’s voting was followed by protests and sporadic violence that killed at least 28 people.
- “The declaration (of Kenyatta’s win) is invalid, null and void,” said Judge David Maranga, announcing a verdict backed by four of the six judges. He said the election board “failed, neglected or refused to conduct the presidential election in a manner consistent with the dictates of the constitution.”
- “This indeed is a very historic day for the people of Kenya,” Odinga said after the decision. “For the first time in history of African democratisation a ruling has been made by a court nullifying irregular elections for the president.”
- A lawyer for Kenyatta, Ahmednasir Abdullahi, said the decision was “very political” and the election board had “done nothing wrong.” However, he said the decision had to be respected. “Let’s go back to the people and the Kenyan people will express themselves again,” he said.
- “Over 8 million people supported the election of Uhuru Kenyatta but the Supreme Court has ignored this in the ruling which is very shameful,” said Matheri Wa Hungu.
- “Today is a special today and I will celebrate until I am worn out,” said 32-year-old Kevin Ouma.
- Kenya, officially the Republic of Kenya, is a country in Africa and a founding member of the East African Community
- Its capital and largest city is Nairobi
- Capital: Nairobi
- Dialing code: +254
- Currency: Kenyan shilling
BANKING & FINANCE
Freyr Energy ties up with Axis Bank
- Freyr Energy, which is the energy provider, that has been get the partnership with the Axis Bank to offer term loan facility ranging from Rs 5 lakhs to Rs 50 lakhs for up to 5-years tenure to its customers in Goa.
- This event of the signed can be led to Freyr Energy’s customers reduce their power bills drastically, and that is also there is the affordablity. This loan has been given to the medium, small and micro enterprises (MSMEs) and self-employed individuals to install their solar rooftops for industrial and commercial purposes.
- “This loan program will help MSMEs significantly reduce their electricity bills. Going forward, we will continue working on innovative financial instruments to improve affordability. This will help India move closer to achieving the renewable energy target of 40GW of solar rooftop installations,” co-founder and managing director Freyr Energy Saurabh Marda said.
- Freyr’s mobile app SunPro will ignore the entire problem that will come in the design, pricing, proposal generation and makes it easier to sell a solar system, while ensuring the customer gets the best product possible.
- Axis Bank Ltd is the third largest of the private-sector banks in India offering a comprehensive suite of financial products
- The bank has its head office in Mumbai and Registered office in Ahmedabad
- Customer service: 1800 209 5577
- CEO: Shikha Sharma
- Chairperson: Dr. Sanjiv Misra (Part Time)
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Director: Usha Sangwan
- Subsidiaries: Axis Direct, A.Treds Limited, Axis Capital Limited,
SEBI bans Orion Capital, Orion Broking from markets for 10 yrs
- Markets regulator Sebi on Friday has been created the Orion Capital as well as Orion Broking and that have the partner of the 10 years for has been getting low for the some of the non- settlement of funds due to the clients.
- “Orion Capital and Debt Market and Orion Broking Services India have failed to redress the investor grievances till date,” Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) said in an order.
- “Arbitration Awards were passed against Orion Capital and Orion Broking and none of the Awards has been implemented by the notices,” it added.
- “In view of the gravity of the violations perpetrated by Orion Capital, Orion Broking and their partners … I am of the opinion that they should not be allowed to have access to the securities market in view of the possible danger to the investors at large,” he added.
- Accordingly, Sebi has restrained Orion Capital, Orion Broking, Johnson Puthiaparambil Jose, Cinzy Johnson and Joseph Puthiaparambil Chacko from “buying, selling or otherwise dealing in the securities market, directly or indirectly in whatsoever manner for a period of 10 years”.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India is the regulator for the securities market in India
- It was established in the year 1988 and given statutory powers on 30 January 1992 through the SEBI Act, 1992
- Founded: 12 April 1992
- Sector: Securities market
- Jurisdiction: India
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Agency executive: Ajay Tyagi (Chairman)
- Type: Statutory corporation
Rajiv Gauba appointed as Union Home Secretary
- Seasoned bureaucrat Rajiv Gauba has been taken the charge on Friday as the Union Home Secretary after superannuation of incumbent Rajiv Mehrishi. He is the year 1982-batch IAS officer of Jharkhand cadre, 58-year-old Mr Gauba will have a fixed two-year tenure in the sensitive post, a home ministry official said.
- Mr Gauba has the big experience of the making and programme implementation in both central and state governments and in international organisations. Born in Punjab in 1959, Mr Gauba had graduated in Physics from Patna University.
- Mr Gauba has also served in the central government’s ministries of home, defence, finance, environment and forests and department of electronics and information technology in different positions.
- He had also served as district magistrate of Gaya, Nalanda and Muzzaffarpur districts before Jharkhand was carved out of Bihar. He represented India on the board of International Monetary Fund for four years.
Science and Technology
IIT Researchers develops bio artificial implantable pancreas
- Researchers of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at Guwahati have successfully created bio artificial pancreas model grown and which is implantable within a 3D silk scaffold.
- The “pancreas” in animal is encapsulates insulin-producing cells and it is capable of producing insulin in a sustained manner naturally.
- If this implantation is successful in animal and human then it can be used to treating the people who are suffering with type 1 diabetes.
- This silk scaffold found as a biocompatible which is not toxic to living tissue and it did not trigger any immune reaction and cause any adverse reaction when implanted in animal body.
- Type 1 diabetes arises in the body when immune system kills the insulin-producing beta cells.
- Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati is a public institution established by the Government of India, located in Guwahati, in the state of Assam in India.
- Campus size: 2.849 km²
- Director: Gautam Biswas
- Founded: 1994
Rediscovering Dhoni at 36
- Out of six-century partnerships for India in India vs shri Lanka series, three have come in the middle order and all three century have involved Dhoni.
- One century Dhoni involved with top-order batsman Rohit Sharma, one century Dhoni involved with middle-order batsman Manish Pandey and one more with a lower-order member Bhuvneshwar Kumar.
- In the second and the third ODIs Dhoni came in before 20 overs when India were chasing and Dhoni came in the fourth game close to the 40th over when the visitors were batting first.
- Dhoni is at the age of 36 and seeing his progress in the ODIs against Sri Lanka and Dhoni looks set to add more to 300 ODI caps.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Bleacher Report’s 2017 Expert Consensus NFL Preseason Awards
- In the next week, there is the Kansas City Chiefs that will get the eliminated the 2017 season by traveling to Fox borough to face the defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.
- “I think the first three weeks have gone well for us,” Carroll said. “I like that we have made progress and that the games kind of look the same in a number of areas. We continue to find a lot of stuff that we have to clean up and work on, but in general, we have been making progress. I like some of the consistency that has shown up but yet we are trying to improve of course.”
- “What I like about what he’s done is how he’s used Russell Wilson,” he said. “It’s always a tricky proposition how you play your starting quarterback in preseason, but Carroll found that balance.”
- Gary Davenport, NFL Analyst
- Doug Farrar, NFL Lead Scout
- Mike Freeman, NFL National Lead Writer
- Brad Gagnon, NFL Analyst
- Matt Miller, NFL Draft Lead Writer
- Brent Sobleski, NFL Analyst
- Mike Tanier, NFL National Lead Writer
- Sean Tomlinson, NFL Analyst
Mike Cockerill, well-known football journalist, dies of cancer
- The legend of the Football journalist and Football Federation Australia Hall of Fame member Mike Cockerill has died at the age 56 year due to Cancer.
- Former Socceroo Robbie Slater said, “Mike was greatly respected. A really top man. We pass on all our best to his family. He was a very, very special person to me. I’ve known him since I was 17. It’s a huge shock to me. He was doing the FFA Cup only four weeks ago and he’s been struck down. It happened very, very quickly.”
- About him there was the note has written in the book of the 2006, and that has been get in the understanding of the later, was the central role Mike played in the evolution of Australia football. With this, he has fought in the two of the fought for the game when doing so was a lot harder than it has been for the rest of us in recent times.
3rd September 1971: Man Booker Prize Winning Author Kiran Desai is born
- On 3rd September in the year 1971, Man Booker prize winning author Kiran Desai had born. Kiran Desai who is the daughter of the Anita Desai, who was the great writer and the Booker Prize nominee in her own right.
- In the term of the, The Inheritance of Loss, Desai has been said that the character which she use in her writes or the notes that are that drew inspiration from the journeys of her grandparents and her own travels between East and West. In the other statement, she told about her that this life of her is not accident, but her inheritance.
- In the year 2006, Desai has published her second book titled ‘The Inheritance of Loss’ which received immense praise by critics across Asia, Europe and the United States.