Ministry of External Affairs Launches “#AsktheSpokesperson” for better understanding of foreign policy
- External Affairs Ministry has started the new initiative that has named #Ask the Spokesperson on Twitter that has started for the aim of the better awareness and understanding of foreign policy issues to general public.
- In this startup, the Ministry uses the social media platforms for inviting questions from public on India’s foreign policy and the selected questions are responded to by the spokesperson live on social media.
- “The inaugural session of #AsktheSpokesperson initiative was held on the Ministry’s official Twitter handle @MEAIndia. Out of numerous queries received, the Spokesperson responded to selected question, live through periscope,” MEA said.
- The Ministry has also started the one of the LinkedIn profile with the objective to expand its engagements in the social space focussing on professionals and building network and to take digital activations to an altogether different set of audience.
- The Ministry of External Affairs of India, also known as the Foreign Ministry, is the government agency responsible for the conduct of foreign relations of India
- Website: mea.gov.in
- Formed: 2 September 1946
- Jurisdiction: India
- Headquarters: South Block, Cabinet Secretariat, Raisina Hill, New Delhi, 110 011
- Cabinet minister: Sushma Swaraj
- Minister of state: Vijay Kumar Singh, M J Akbar
Cabinet approves Rs 7,000 crore for construction of six IIT campuses
- The Union Cabinet has approved over Rs 7,000 crore for construction of permanent campuses of six new Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) across the country, an official release said today.
- “Each of the permanent campuses to be established at Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh), Palakkad (Kerala), Dharwad (Karnataka), Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir), Bhilai (Chhattisgarh) and Goa will have a facility for housing 1,200 students from the academic year 2020-2021,” it added.
- “Cabinet’s nod for the construction of permanent campuses gives six new IITs desired impetus #ExpansionofIITSystem,” Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar wrote on Twitter.
- In the recent these institute has been working as the temporary institute with a total strength of 1,530 students. After the construction of the campuses, this strength will go up to 7,200.
- “The Union Cabinet on October 24, 2017 approved a Rs 7,002 crore plan for construction of permanent campuses for six new IITs, to be completed by March 31, 2020,” the release said.
India, France agree to strengthen bilateral defence cooperation
- Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman has get the French Minister for the Armed Forces, Ms Florence Parly, in South Block today. Minister has been getting the visit to the India from 26-28 October, 2017 on her first official visit as the French Minister for the Armed Forces.
- The Ministers has been shown the ties of the both of the side of the defence cooperation as a key pillar of the strategic partnership between India and France. In this meeting they also get the talk of the regional and international developments of mutual interest.
- In the term to expand and raise the military of both the side with the military ties, including enhancing the scope of their joint exercises, in particular the VARUNA naval exercise scheduled in early 2018, were agreed upon. Both countries will also actively explore additional measures to facilitate operational level interactions between their respective armed forces.
14th South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law
- South Asia’s top judges, legal practitioners, academics and all the persons who has been interested in the development of law in the region are gathering in Colombo, Sri Lanka today to discuss emerging legal trends in the South Asian countries.
- This meeting and conference has been conducting as the 25th anniversary of SAARCLAW, which had been established in Sri Lanka in the year 1991. By spending the 25 years the conference provides a platform for legal professionals from the South Asian region to meet and discuss issues of mutual interests pertaining to justice, legal reforms, good governance and enforcement.
- The topics selected for panel discussions include: (i) The Role of National and International Counter-Tracking Laws in Combatting Issues of Tracking and Forced Labour in International Labour Migration in South Asia, (ii) Artificial Intelligence and Human Aptitude working in Tandem, (iii) A Common Regional Platform for Combating Climate Change, (iv) The Confluence of Law and Technology, (v) The Role of Law and Judicial Activism, (vi) Role of Lawyers in Advancing Separation of Powers, (vii) Promoting FDI and Cross-Border Transactions in the SAARC Region, and the (viii) Role of Law in Ensuring Compliance with Corporate Governance Rules.
Catalonia declares independence from Spain
- The Spanish government has been get over the rules of the Catalonia on Friday, stripping the region of its autonomy less than an hour after its parliament declared independence in a stunning show of defiance.
- “Exceptional measures should only be adopted when no other remedy is possible,” Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said in an address to the Senate on Friday morning.
- “In my opinion there is no alternative. The only thing that can be done and should be done is to accept and comply with the law,” said Rajoy, who has staked out an uncompromising position.
- “Tensions are likely to rise significantly over the coming days,” Antonio Barroso of Teneo Intelligence said in a note.
- “Demonstrators might try to prevent the police from removing Catalan ministers from their offices if the central government decides to do so. This increases the risk of violent clashes with the police.”
- “It is not going to be easy, it is not going to be free, it is not going to change in a day. But there is no alternative to a process towards the Catalan Republic,” lawmaker Marta Rovira of the Junts pel Si pro-independence alliance said in a debate leading to the vote.
- “I am emotional because Catalonia has struggled for 40 years to be independent and finally I can see it,” she said.
- The Catalonia region, in northeastern Spain, is known for the lively beach resorts of Costa Brava as well as the Pyrenees Mountains
- Barcelona, the regional capital, has a historic Gothic Quarter, La Rambla pedestrian mall, museums and several beaches
- Antoni Gaudí’s distinctive modern art and architecture can be seen at the Sagrada Família Basilica and in the colorful outdoor mosaics of Park Güell
- Area: 32,108 km²
- Capital: Barcelona
Banking and Finance
SEBI revises block deal norms, minimum order size hiked to Rs10 crore
- Market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) on Thursday has started again the work of the ‘block deals’ by providing two separate trading windows of 15 minutes each and by putting the more of the minimum order size to Rs 10 crore.
- “Between the period 2:00 pm and 2:05 pm, stock exchanges shall calculate and disseminate necessary information regarding the VWAP applicable for the execution of block deals in the afternoon block deal window,” Sebi said in the circular.
- The main and last of the normalisation has been put by the term of the consideration views of market participants and the Secondary Market Advisory Committee (SMAC).
- The morning window would operate from 8:45 am to 9:00 am and the reference price for execution of block deals in this window would be the previous day’s closing price of the stock.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India is the regulator for the securities market in India
- It was established in the year 1988 and given statutory powers on 30 January 1992 through the SEBI Act, 1992
- Founded: 12 April 1992
- Sector: Securities market
- Jurisdiction: India
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Agency executive: Ajay Tyagi (Chairman)
- Type: Statutory corporation
Star Health Insurance Launches First-ever Insurance Policy for Persons Diagnosed with Cancer
- Star Health and Allied Insurance (SHAI) has initiated the first ever of its industry-first health insurance cover for people already diagnosed with cancer.
- The new health insurance scheme, Star Cancer Care Gold, comes in two sum-insured options — ₹3 lakh and ₹5 lakh. Persons in the age group five months to 65 years, who have already been diagnosed with cancer (stage 1 and 2), can take this insurance.
- “This is the first-ever insurance cover for cancer-affected people. At present, health cover is not available for people who are diagnosed with cancer. The unique feature of our policy is that it can be bought without a prior medical check-up.
- “Customers can submit previous medical records, including details of latest treatment,” said V Jagannathan, Chairman and Managing Director, SHAI.
- “This is a pilot stage and we will gradually increase the sum-insured amount based on the response and other outcomes,” said S Prakash, Chief Operating Officer, SHAI. V Shanta, Chairperson, Adyar Cancer Institute, Chennai, who launched the scheme, said cancer cover is important in the context of growing treatment costs. “The burden has increased from about ₹4.73 lakh in the mid-1980s to ₹12 lakh now, and is expected to increase ₹15 lakh by 2020,” she added.
- Star Health and Allied Insurance Co Ltd is an Indian insurance company that commenced its operations in 2006
- The company primarily focuses on Health Insurance, Travel Insurance and Accident policies
- Customer service: 1800 425 2255
- Founded: 2006
- Headquarters: Chennai
Science and Technology
Assam CM launches a new web portal “Assam Darpan” to provide data to people on government projects
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has launched today the website as the portal ‘Assam Darpan’ where details of government schemes and projects would be available to the people.
- This portal also help in the term of the outcome and impact of the schemes for taking appropriate and timely decisions, Sonowal said while launching the portal.
- “Assam Darpan is an important step taken by the government for open, transparent and accountable governance where details of key programmes and projects are made available to the people”, he said.
- In the starting of the phase, progress indicators of 15 government schemes have been made available in the web portal in English and Assamese. The schemes include National Food Security Act, Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, Deendayal Gram Jyoti Yojana, MGNREGS, Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, Swacch Bharat Mission (Gramin) and Chief Ministers Free Diagnostic Services.
Chris Gayle Wins Australia Masseuse Court Case
- West Indies cricket star Chris Gayle Monday has won the court case of the defamation Australian media group which claimed he exposed his genitals to a massage therapist.
- “At the end of the day I’m very, very happy,” Gayle said after the verdict, according to the Herald, adding that coming to court had been “very emotional”.
- “I’m a good man. I’m not guilty,” he said.
- The publication of the stories followed an uproar after Gayle attempted to flirt with an Australian presenter on live TV, asking her out for a drink and telling her: “Don’t blush, baby.”
- Gayle’s close friend Donovan Miller told the hearing that since the allegations the West Indian had become “scared, especially (around) females and he always feels someone is out to get him”.
Awards and Recognitions
Sharmila Tagore honored with Lifetime Achievement Award
- She still ruling as the ‘Sapnon Ki Rani’ in many heart and she has honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award has sworn to the actor Sharmila Tagore’s crown. The 72-year-old actor who is the best known and the holder of PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry in New Delhi for her contribution in the field of cinema.
- Minister of State for Prime Minister’s Office Jitendra Singh and Delhi BJP chief Manoj Tiwari presented the award to Tagore at a ceremony held last night at Siri Fort Auditorium.
- This actor has been work has with the many of the legend directors like director Satyajit Ray’s Bengali film Apur Sansar in 1959. Her breakout role in Hindi cinema was Shakti Samanta’s 1964 film Kashmir Ki Kali and Sharmila Tagore went on to feature in classics such as Aradhana, Mausam, Amar Prem and Satyakam, among others.
- She had also obtained the National Award for Best Actress for the film. The actor also received National Award for Best Supporting Actress for 2003 Bengali film, Abar Aranye.
International Orthopaedic Nurses Day
- Orthopaedic nursing (or orthopedic nursing) is a nursing has been specially decided to celebrate because of the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Orthopaedic issues can be from little to more like the fractures or hospitalization for joint replacement to chronic systemic disorders such as loss of bone density or lupus erythematosus.
- Orthopaedic nurses have the best skills like the neurovascular status monitoring, traction, continuous passive motion therapy, casting, and care of patients with external fixation.