Swiss president Doris Leuthard is on a three-day visit to India
- In the term of the ties of the Bilateral, Swiss President Doris Leuthard has started the three-day visit to India on Wednesday night.
- In this visit there is the main of the Switzerland is the chair of the Nuclear Suppliers Group where India has been seeking membership.
- “Both countries share common views on many major global issues. The visit will provide an opportunity to both sides for holding wide-ranging discussions on bilateral, global and regional issues of mutual interest,” a press release said.
- “First engagement for an honoured guest. EAM @SushmaSwaraj called on President Leuthard and discussed wide-ranging issues of mutual interest,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar tweeted.
- Switzerland is a mountainous Central European country, home to numerous lakes, villages and the high peaks of the Alps
- Its cities contain medieval quarters, with landmarks like capital Bern’s Zytglogge clock tower and Lucerne’s wooden chapel bridge
- The country is also known for its ski resorts and hiking trails
- Banking and finance are key industries, and Swiss watches and chocolate are world-renowned.
- Dialing code: +41
- Currency: Swiss franc
- Official languages: German, French, Romansh, Italian
Delhi LG Anil Baijal bans dumping of solid waste at Ghazipur
- In the term of the joint with the some of the there is the uniqueness with the Ghazipur landfill site, in the term of the management of the waste that has been comes at the site in Ranikhera near the Delhi-Haryana border, civic officials said.
- “The city’s garbage, which was being sent to Ghazipur site would now be taken to a temporary site in Ranikhera near the Delhi-Haryana border,” a senior civic body official said.
- “The Ghazipur site had reached its saturation point in 2012 itself. The DDA is working on allotting an alternative site, but we have to take clearance of the NGT before that,” the EDMC mayor said.
- “The NHAI has assured the L-G that it will begin the process of lifting, segregating and processing of the solid waste by November 2017, for its use in road construction,” the L-G office said in a statement today.
- “Bhalswa landfill site falls under the jurisdiction of the North Delhi Municipal Corporation. She has sought a status report from the Municipal Commissioner about the landfill site,” the NDMC said.
- Delhi, India’s capital territory, is a massive metropolitan area in the country’s north
- In Old Delhi, a neighborhood dating to the 1600s, stands the imposing Mughal-era Red Fort, a symbol of India, and the sprawling Jama Masjid mosque, whose courtyard accommodates 25,000 people
- Nearby is Chandni Chowk, a vibrant bazaar filled with food carts, sweets shops and spice stalls.
Karnataka to give free education to all girls till graduation
- In the term of the clearance of the Karnataka government has been planning for the free education free for all girls from Class 1 to graduation level in all public and aided private schools and colleges, for involving the professional institute in the final year. The earmarked funds, however, are anything but grand.
- “We expect around 18 lakh students whose parents’ income would be less than Rs 10 lakh to opt for this scheme and are planning to earmark Rs 110 crore,” higher education minister Basavaraj Rayareddi said, hoping only the poor would avail of the scheme.
- “We are not copying their schemes,” Rayreddi said. “It’s a model one and a major leap towards women’s empowerment. The scheme is for all girls unlike their schemes which are restricted to certain classes and income groups.”
- “It is mainly in rural areas where girls come from families earning less than Rs 10 lakh that the government needs to extend incentives. But the government will not discriminate between cities and rural areas and poor and rich. It is ready to reimburse fees to all girl students,” he said.
- Karnataka is a state in southwest India with Arabian Sea coastlines
- The capital, Bengaluru (formerly Bangalore), is a high-tech hub known for its shopping and nightlife
- To the southwest, Mysore is home to lavish temples including Mysore Palace, former seat of the region’s maharajas
- Hampi, once the medieval Vijayanagara empire’s capital, contains ruins of Hindu temples, elephant stables and a stone chariot
- Capital: Bengaluru (Executive Branch)
- Districts: 30
- Language: Kannada
Joint India-Nepal army exercise begins in Saljhandi, Nepal
- Just after the one-day Indian and China has been some of the two-month long military stand-off in the Sikkim sector, the Indian and Nepali armies are set to begin a joint exercise from Sunday.
- Joint military exercise, Surya Kiran, being held at Nepal Army Battle School at Saljhandi, that has been total of the 350 troops from each side, focussing on counter-insurgency and counter-terror operations.
- By the statement of the Indian Army officials, “Among the series of military training exercises undertaken with different countries, Surya Kiran is the largest in terms of troop participation.”
- The battalion level joint training between the two armies will focus on counter terror operations in mountainous terrain by facilitating interoperability. Disaster management and joint operations for disaster relief will also be a part of the exercise.
- The Indian Army is the land-based branch and the largest component of the Indian Armed Forces
- The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Army, and it is commanded by the Chief of Army Staff, who is a four-star general
- Motto: “Service Before Self”
- Chief of the Army Staff (COAS): General Bipin Rawat, UYSM, AVSM, YSM, SM, VSM
- Vice Chief of the Army Staff (VCOAS): Lieutenant General Sarath Chand, UYSM, AVSM, VSM
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 15 August 1947, India
- Color: Gold, red and black
Nepal signs UN development assistance plan
- Nepal has signed a $635 million UN the some of the package of the 2018-2022 for the taken of from the country’s development strategy for the next five years, officials said today.
- “We are pleased to be signing this framework with the United Nations in Nepal, it is broadly aligned without national priorities as envisioned by the Government of Nepal. And it is our hope it will contribute to our ambition to achieve the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development,” Chairman of the National Planning Commission Swarnim Wagle said.
- “The strong alignment of the UNDAF with the national plans, international conventions, and the Constitution of Nepal provides the foundation to support the Government of Nepal’s efforts in ensuring that ‘no one is left behind’ as laid out in the Sustainable Development Goals,” remarked United Nations Resident Coordinator Valerie Julliand.
- Nepal, officially the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, is a landlocked central Himalayan country in South Asia
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Nepalese rupee
- Prime minister: Sher Bahadur Deuba
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
Seychelles ratifies international solar alliance framework pact
- The International Solar Alliance (ISA) has been taken the one more step for the come in the sign of the inter-governmental body under the United Nations charter, after Seychelles has been ranked himself in the ninth member to ratify the ISA Framework Agreement, an official at the interim ISA Secretariat told in the report of the media.
- With this, the ISA that will need the some of the recognised inter-governmental body. Until now India, France, Nauru, Niger, Fiji, Mauritius, Tuvalu and Bangladesh have specify the ISA Framework Agreement. The ISA aims to get at least six more countries on board before October-end.
- In the last month, there is the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Coal, Power, New and Renewable Energy and Mines Piyush Goyal had said: “Before the end of this calendar year, we will see the ISA as a multilateral agency, ratified by the first 15 countries who would then be founding members.”
- The ISA established for the connection of the 121 solar-resource-rich nations for research, low-cost financing and rapid deployment of clean energy. These countries lie within the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.
- The International Solar Alliance is an alliance of more than 120 countries, most of them being sunshine countries, which come either completely or partly between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn
- Headquarters: Gurugram
- Membership (As of 2017): 121 nations
- Interim Director General: Mr. Upendra Tripathy (Indian)
- Founded at: Gwal Pahari
- Founder: Narendra Modi
- Founded: 1990
- Budget: 47 million USD