VAJRA faculty scheme – 260 applicants for government’s visiting researcher programme
- The Centre’s ambitious scheme for the aim to attraction of the international talent in the country’s research and development ecosystem has got the one of the new enthusiastic response with nearly 260 global scientists filing applications, of whom 70 would be shortlisted, a senior official said.
- “Nearly 260 scientists have applied. Before shortlisting the names, we have to see that their expertise and our area of interests match. The DST will look for scientists who have experience in fields like renewable energy, water, and other technology in which India lacks expertise” Mr Sharma said.
- “These institutions should appoint them as adjunct visiting faculty and involve them in co-guiding and mentoring of students and developing collaborative programs. The faculty can also be allowed to participate in other academic activities,” Mr Sharma said.
- This is a multi-purpose project, he said. “We will be able to collaborate with best scientific minds and our students pursuing their doctorate will receive their guidance. The students will also be exposed to international practises.”
Gujarat becomes first state to slash VAT on petrol, diesel; cuts taxes by 4 per cent
- In the many offers of the diwali like the bonus that is at the poll-bound Gujarat, the state government today reduced the value added tax (VAT) on petrol and diesel by 4 per cent.
- “After the central government’s instructions, Gujarat has decided to reduce VAT on petrol and diesel by 4 per cent from today mid-night,” Chief Minister Vijay Rupani said at a press meet here.
- “With this rate cut, the price of petrol will come down by Rs 2.93 and that of diesel by Rs 2.72 in the state, he said. The effective price of petrol in Gujarat from mid-night today will be Rs 67.53 per litre and that of diesel Rs 60.77 per litre,” the chief minister said.
- “We have taken this decision in the interest of the people. The decision should not be considered to have any links with the polls. This is only aimed at giving relief to the people and it is a permanent decision,” Rupani said.
- “The rate reduction has been done with an eye on polls. They (government) have come under pressure after looking at the response Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi has been getting during his campaign tour in Gujarat,” Congress’ spokesperson Shaktisinh Gohil said.
- Gujarat, India’s westernmost state, has varied terrain and numerous sacred sites
- In its urban center of Ahmedabad is the Calico Museum of Textiles, displaying antique and modern Indian fabrics
- Spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi’s base from 1917–1930 was Sabarmati Ashram, where his living quarters remain on view
- The Jama Masjid (Friday Mosque), built in the 15th century, has a huge courtyard and a columned design.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Districts: 33
Government approved Rs 2,000 crore to set up Aadhaar units in post offices
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given the approval for the Rs 2,000 crore specifically for for the installation of the Aadhaar centres in post offices, a move that will see private contractors phased out from the data collection process.
- Aadhaar enrolment and updating facility has been given to the minimum of the 15,000 post offices by March 31 next year and this will complement the earlier decision that bank branches will have similar centres by October 31. Around 5,000 post offices will have the facility by December this year.
- In there there are the banks has already developed its branches of 2,000 branches running centres. A total of 15,200 bank branches will have centres with Aadhaar facilities. The action is of the facilation of the Rs 2,000 crore is intended to respond to issues raised by the court and activists and to ensure improved access to Aadhaar enrolment and updation. Now many of the banks and the post offices can be reach with the many of the UID, particularly in remote areas where they are often the only permanent presence in terms of government services.
- This decision has been taken after the comes of the many of the count that has given by the vendors on counts such as petty corruption and attempted frauds and the Supreme Court taking note of reports of alleged leakage of UID data.
President of India inaugurates India water Week 2017
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, has set up the installation of the India Water Week-2017 today (October 10, 2017) in New Delhi.
- Speaking on the occasion, the President said, “Water is essential to life. It is fundamental to the economy and to ecology – and to human equity. The issue of water is becoming still more critical in view of climate change and related environmental concerns. Better and more efficient use of water is a challenge for Indian agriculture and industry alike. It requires us to set new benchmarks in both our villages and in the cities we build.”
- The President said, “Currently, 80 per cent of water in India is used by agriculture and only 15 per cent by industry. In the coming years, this ratio will change. The total demand for water will also rise. Efficiency of water use and reuse, therefore, has to be built into the blueprint of industrial projects. Business and industry need to be a part of the solution.”
- The President said, “In urban India, 40 billion litres of waste water is produced every day. It is vital to adopt technology to reduce the toxic content of this water, and to deploy it for irrigation and other purposes. This has to be part of any urban planning programme. Access to water is a byword for human dignity. For India, providing safe drinking water to a population spread across six hundred thousand villages and urban areas is not just a project proposal. It is a sacred commitment. The government has prepared a strategic plan for ensuring drinking water supply in all rural areas by 2022, when India complete 75 years of Independence. By that year, the goal is to cover 90 per cent of rural households with piped water supply. We cannot fail. The deliberations of this conference have to ensure that we do not fail.”
- Among the dignitaries present on the occasion were Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Shri Nitin Gadkari; Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation, Sushri Uma Bharti; Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Shri Arjun Ram Meghwal; and Minister of State for HRD and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Dr Satya Pal Singh.
House panel headed by Shashi Tharoor to look into China-India relations
- A parliamentary committee has taken the decision to test the all the gamut of Sino-Indian relations, including the border situation.
- This move has been taken after the Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi had demanded that Prime Minister Narendra Modi explain the resumed road-construction by the Chinese near the Doklam plateau.
- This willl be the main of the event that will be on the Chinese position with regard to Pakistan-based terrorists and India’s bid for a permanent membership of the UN Security Council and entry to the NSG.
- The standing committee has also decided to closely look at India’s “Relations with Myanmar and the Rohingya situation”, the country’s “Act East Policy, including BIMSTEC”, the “Situation in the Far East: Japan and North Korea”, India’s engagement with SAARC countries, global terrorism and voting rights for NRIs.
Himachal Pradesh implements Senior Citizen Health Insurance Scheme (SCHIS)
- In the term to give the extra event for the realastic of the health care services by way of additional insurance cover, the state government has implemented the Senior Citizen Health Insurance Scheme (SCHIS) in the state.
- A Spokesperson of the state government said here today, “The targeted beneficiaries of this scheme, notified recently, are RSBY enrolled persons aged 60 years and above. The senior citizens of those families that are eligible for RSBY but not currently rolled in this scheme will not get benefit of SCHIS.”
- He said, “The scheme will provide an additional coverage of Rs.30,000 per senior citizen per year in the eligible RSBY beneficiary family. This package will be over and above the annual package of Rs.30,000 per family provided under RSBY. Exclusively senior citizen of the family enrolled in RSBY will be able to take additional benefit. If in any RSBY rolled family, there are more than senior citizen, then additional cover will be multiples of Rs.30,000 per senior citizen and will be provided on a floater basis among the senior citizens of the RSBY enrolled family. Therefore, if in a family there are two senior citizens, then an additional cover of Rs.60,000 would be available on a floater basis to both the senior citizens.”
- The Spokesperson said, “Various packages have been offered under SCHIS. A separate list of surgical packages that cost more than Rs.30,000 have been prepared by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare through a technical committee, including representatives from the Ministry, State governments and technical experts by covering Cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cardiovascular Surgery, Neurosurgery, Poly-Trauma and repair, Burns, Surgical Oncology and Medical Oncology. Since the Government of India has included the tertiary care packages under SCHIS, treatment can be provided up to Rs.30,000 where only one senior citizen is in a family and up to Rs.60,000 where two senior citizens are in a family on family floater basis, hence additional over and above of Rs.30,000 or Rs. 60,000 as the case may be, will be compensated from existing top up of RSBY critical care up to Rs.1.75 lakh (for cancer it is up to Rs. 2.25 lakh).’
- Himachal Pradesh is a northern Indian state in the Himalayas
- It’s home to scenic mountain towns and resorts such as Dalhousie
- Host to the Dalai Lama, Himachal Pradesh has a strong Tibetan presence
- This is reflected in its Buddhist temples and monasteries, as well as its vibrant Tibetan New Year celebrations
- The region is also well known for its trekking, climbing and skiing areas
- Capital: Shimla
Maharashtra is top Indian tourist source market for Australia
- Maharashtra has come in the head like the top on the market for Australia with over 59,000 tourists from the state visiting the land of kangaroos in the year ended June 2017.
- “The state of Maharashtra ranks as the leading source market for Australia. For the year ended June 2017, over 59,000 tourists from Maharashtra visited Australia spending AUD 310 million (about Rs 1,550 crore) on their holiday in the land of kangaroos,” according to data compiled by Tourism Australia.
- “Over the years, we have undertaken several focused campaigns as part of our consumer outreach efforts. Our collaboration with television over the past two years has definitely helped us to not only build awareness, but also drive visitation from our number one state (Maharashtra),” said Tourism Australia Country Manager, India and Gulf, Nishant Kashikar.
- He said Tourism Australia has also worked closely with key specialist agents and airline partners to present attractive offers to travellers to choose Australia as their next holiday destination.
- “Visitors from Maharashtra were looking forward to a range of experiences, including aquatic and coastal (beaches), self-drive, nature, wildlife and adventure on their Australian sojourn. With a growing penchant for travel, we expect growth from our top metro cities to continue over the years to follow,” he added
- Australia is a country and continent surrounded by the Indian and Pacific oceans. Its major cities – Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide – are coastal
- Its capital, Canberra, is inland
- The country is known for its Sydney Opera House, the Great Barrier Reef, a vast interior desert wilderness called the Outback, and unique animal species like kangaroos and duck-billed platypuses
- Capital: Canberra
- Dialing code: +61
- Date format: dd/mm/yyyy
- Currency: Australian dollar
Banking and Finance
RBI panel headed by Janak Raj reveals ad hoc, arbitrary practices by banks to inflate interest rates
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI)’s study group, which has given in the recent its one of the external benchmark rate for banks, has revealed several startling and “disconcerting” banking practices, including violation of the RBI guidelines, inflating of base rate and arbitrary adjustment of spreads.
- “A few banks made little effort to migrate small and retail customers from the base rate system to the MCLR regime, as there was no proper dissemination of switch-over option through the branches of the banks or their websites. A number of banks levied a one-time switch-over fee on migration of advances from the base rate to the MCLR regime,” the RBI’s panel on new benchmark said.
- “The calculation methodology followed by banks raises some concerns: Some banks had inflated the return on networth (RoNW), which was neither in tune with market conditions nor with their track record,” it said.
- “The definition of operating cost followed by some banks was not in accordance with the guidelines prescribed by the Reserve Bank,” the panel said.
- “Some banks considered a lower part of saving deposits as core deposits for computation of marginal cost of funds. Some banks determined tenor premia/ discounts subjectively in the absence of any method/market benchmarks. Some banks have not reviewed tenor premia/ discounts determined since March 2016,” it said.
- “This happened in the case of housing loans and unsecured personal loans, among others. Some banks did not have a board approved policy for working out the components of the spread charged to a customer,” the RBI panel said.
- “Some banks defined risk premium such that the variable component of the business strategy premium was added to the credit risk premium. This allowed them to vary the spread in a range of about 475 basis points for advances to various sectors,” the RBI group said.
- “Another major public sector bank kept the base rate unchanged between September 2016 and March 2017 even as its cost of deposits declined by around 40 bps. The bank, however, increased its return on net worth by almost 45 bps; as a result, the base rate remained unchanged,” it said.
ICICI Bank commits Rs 10 cr for welfare of armed forces
- ICICI Bank, the country’s largest private sector bank with the update plan, on Monday committed financial account of the of Rs. 10 crore to the Indian armed forces.
- “The contribution, payable in two equal tranches this year and next year, will be utilised towards welfare activities and betterment of the families of ex-servicemen, who lost their lives guarding the nation,” the bank said in a statement.
- Chanda Kochhar, MD & CEO, ICICI Bank, today handed over a cheque for Rs. 5 crore to Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman at a function in the Raksha Mantralaya.
- Speaking on the occasion, Kochhar said, “The Indian Armed Forces bravely guard our borders and protect us. Many of these men have fought valiantly and made the ultimate sacrifice of laying down their lives for our country. While no amount of assistance is enough to fill the loss for the families, this gesture is our humble endeavour to contribute towards their betterment”.
- “Our assistance will aid the young children and widows of the soldiers to get an education, thereby, enabling them to gain knowledge, get jobs and earn a sustainable livelihood. This is our small contribution to these daughters of the nation and our thoughts and best wishes will always remain with the families,” she added.
- ICICI Bank, stands for Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India, is an Indian multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, with its registered office in Vadodara
- CEO: Chanda Kochhar (1 May 2009–)
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founder: Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India
- Founded: June 1994, Vadodara
- Profit: US$1.5 billion (2017)
- Subsidiaries: ICICI Lombard, ICICI Prudential Life Insurance
Science and Technology
SpaceX launches 10 satellites for Iridium mobile network
- SpaceX on Monday has launched the Falcon 9 rocket, which has carried with it 10 satellites to bolster the global data communications network for Virginia-based company Iridium.
- “A successful landing of the first stage,” SpaceX commentator John Innsbrucker said on the company’s live webcast, as applause erupted at SpaceX mission control in Hawthorne, California.
- In total, SpaceX, which is headed by billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk, is launching a series of 75 satellites for Iridium’s satellite constellation, Iridium NEXT, by 2018.
- The landing of the stellites has been done at the SpaceX’s ongoing effort to re-use expensive rocket parts instead of jettisoning them into the ocean after launch.
- Space Exploration Technologies Corp., doing business as SpaceX, is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company headquartered in Hawthorne, California
- Founder: Elon Musk
- Founded: 2002
- CEO: Elon Musk (2002–)
- Headquarters: Hawthorne, California, United States
- Number of employees: 6,000
- Type of business: Privately held company
Indian pair win gold at World Archery Youth Championship 2017
- Mixed pair of Jemson Ningthoujam and Ankita Bhakat has won the gold medal as India returned with three medals from the World Archery Youth Championship in Rosario. Thistitle is the India’s first world title at the youth championships since Deepika Kumari’s victories in the year 2009 and in the year 2011. India has also won the one silver and one bronze in a promising show by the youngsters.
- Ningthoujam and Bhakat, seeded ninth, had upset top-seed Korea in the quarterfinals, before beating their Russian opponents by the 6-2 in the final on Sunday. “I was initially feeling a little shaky but I shot very well and we won the gold. Now I’m happy,” said Bhakat. “Our coach tried to encourage us both; he was shouting ‘we have to win’, ‘we have to win’, ‘we have to win’,” Ningthoujam said. “The hard work has paid off and now we’ll hear our national anthem.”
- India has also bagged the one of the bronze medal in the compound cadet women’s event when Khushbu Dhayal, Sanchita Tiwari and Divya Dhawal defeated their opponents from Great Britain 212-206 in the play-off.
- The mixed team gold is India’s fourth World Archery Champion title across all disciplines. Deepika had won the recurve cadet title in 2009 and recurve junior crown in 2011; Palton Hansda, in 2006, was the first Indian archer to be crowned world champion, when she took gold in the compound junior women’s event.
Awards and Recognition
BET Hip Hop Awards 2017 Winners: The Complete List
- Breakout 2017 rapper Cardi B has shows his biggest rolls in the 2017 BET Hip Hop Awards, that has host by the several nominee and winner DJ Khaled. The “Bodak Yellow” star was nominated for a whopping nine awards, including Single of the Year, Best New Hip-Hop Artist and MVP of the Year and Hustler of the Year. She bagged the five awards- Single of the Year, Hustler of the Year, Best New Hip-Hop Artist, Best Mix Tape and Made-You-Look Award.
- Best Hip-Hop Video
Cardi B – “Bodak Yellow”
DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna and Bryson Tiller – “Wild Thoughts”
French Montana ft. Swae Lee – “Unforgettable”
Future – “Mask Off”
WINNER: Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
- Best Collabo, Duo or Group
WINNER: DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller – “Wild Thoughts”
French Montana ft. Swae Lee – “Unforgettable”
Migos ft. Lil Uzi Vert – “Bad And Boujee”
Rae Sremmurd ft. Gucci Mane – “Black Beatles”
Yo Gotti ft. Nicki Minaj – “Rake It Up”
- Hot Ticket Performer
Chance The Rapper
WINNER: Kendrick Lamar
- Lyricist of the Year
Chance The Rapper
WINNER: Kendrick Lamar
- Video Director of the Year
WINNER: Benny Boom
Dave Meyers & Missy Elliott
- DJ of the Year
WINNER: DJ Khaled
- Producer of the Year
DJ Khaled & Nasty Beatmakers
London On Da Track
WINNER: Metro Boomin
Mike Will Made-It
- MVP of the Year
Chance The Rapper
WINNER: DJ Khaled
- Single of the Year
“Bad And Boujee” – Produced By Metro Boomin (Migos Ft. Lil Uzi Vert)
WINNER: “Bodak Yellow” – Produced By J. White Did It (Cardi B)
“HUMBLE.” – Produced By Mike Will Made-It (Kendrick Lamar)
“Mask Off” – Produced By Metro Boomin (Future)
“Wild Thoughts” – Produced By DJ Khaled & Nasty Beatmakers (DJ Khaled Ft. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller)
- Album of the Year
DJ Khaled – Grateful
Future – FUTURE
Cole – 4 Your Eyez Only
Jay Z – 4:44
WINNER: Kendrick Lamar – DAMN.
Migos – Culture
- Best New Hip-Hop Artist
WINNER: Cardi B
- Hustler of the Year
WINNER: Cardi B
Chance The Rapper
- Made-You-Look Award (Best Hip-Hop Style)
WINNER: Cardi B
- Best Hip Hop Online Site/App
- Best Mixtape
WINNER: Cardi B – Gangsta Bitch Music Vol. 2
Gucci Mane – Droptopwop
Juicy J – Gas Face
Playboi Carti – Playboi Carti
Tee Grizzley – My Moment
Yo Gotti & Mike Will Made-It – Gotti Made-It
- Sweet 16: Best Featured Verse
Chance The Rapper – “I’m The One” (DJ Khaled Ft. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance The Rapper & Lil Wayne)
Gucci Mane – “Black Beatles” (Rae Sremmurd Ft. Gucci Mane)
Lil Uzi Vert – “Bad And Boujee” (Migos Ft. Lil Uzi Vert)
WINNER: Nicki Minaj – “Rake It Up” (Yo Gotti Ft. Nicki Minaj)
Ty Dolla $ign – “Ain’t Nothing” (Juicy J Ft. Wiz Khalifa & Ty Dolla $ign)
Wiz Khalifa – “Ain’t Nothing” (Juicy J Ft. Wiz Khalifa & Ty Dolla $ign)
- Impact Track
Cardi B – “Bodak Yellow”
WINNER: Jay Z – “Story of O.J.”
Kendrick Lamar – “HUMBLE.”
Kendrick Lamar – “DNA.”
Lecrae – “Blessings” ft. Ty Dolla $Ign
Tyler, The Creator – “Who Dat Boy” ft. A$AP Rocky