Skill India partners with Airbnb to Upskill Hospitality Entrepreneurs
- A tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Tourism and Hospitality Sector Skill Council (THSC) with Airbnb, the world’s leading community-driven hospitality company. This MoU will facilitates the trainning related to the hospitality skills training to hospitality micro-entrepreneurs in India.
- Speaking on the occasion, Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan said, “We believe that this partnership will help to augment Skill India Mission by bringing in global best practices for the training of small hospitality entrepreneurs. The domestic tourism has immense potential in India and this partnership will benefit the ecosystem by creating opportunities for women and youth. We will extend all possible cooperation to make India a tourism hotspot.”
- Regional Director of Policy for India, Southeast Asia and ANZ, Mr. Brent Thomas said, “This partnership will help to create more skilled, digitally-literate hospitality entrepreneurs – especially among the women and those in underserved areas – who can create a homestay in every home, offer authentic experiences in every Indian locality and help spread the benefits of tourism”.
Under the terms of the MoU, the parties agree to:
- ESTABLISH occupation standards and competency matrices for job roles and develop the courses for hospitality entrepreneurs offering homestay and facilities, other unique accommodations and local experiences for travellers;
- CREATE standards for certification and accreditation as per the requirements and global benchmarks of Tourism and Hospitality industry for hospitality entrepreneurs offering homestay facilities, other unique accommodations and local experiences for travellers;
- SET the framework for long-term Council-Industry partnership;
- STRENGTHEN the Skilled Labour Pool required by Tourism and Hospitality industry.
PM Modi inaugurates Hyderabad Metro Rail
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been going to start the Hyderabad Metro Rail project on Tuesday.
- At the time of the starting of this project, city’s first metro rail service will happen at 02:15 pm local time, the services will open for public on Wednesday.
- “The metro stretch of 30 km, to be thrown open for public, would be the longest in the country on the inauguration,” the Telangana minister KT Rama Rao said.
- PM Modi has been going to travell at the ‘Red Line’ along with Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao from Miyapur to Kukatpally, and back.
- Besides the chief minister of Telangana, Modi was accompanied by Governor of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana ESL Narasimhan, Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri, Telangana’s IT Minister K T Rama Rao and state BJP chief K Laxman in the much-awaited train’s inaugural run.
- “The trains would run from 6am to 10 pm initially and the timings would be rescheduled to 5.30 am to 11 pm, depending on the traffic and demand,” Telangana’s Information Technology Minister K T Rama Rao said last week.
Manipur CM Biren Singh inaugurates India-Myanmar media interaction programme
- Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh on Monday has started the two-day India-Myanmar media interaction programme here and said his government has been going to available the bus service between the two places to bring the people closer.
- The Chief Minister said such interaction programmes will help bring India and Myanmar closer. “We are doing our best to introduce a bus service for the benefit of Manipur and Myanmar people. One private company is already in touch with the government on the matter. Manipur State Transport buses have been plying between Imphal in Manipur and some cities in Myanmar,” he said.
- Biren has given the urge to the Myanmarese journalists for the done of some work that bus service between the two neighbours becomes operational. K. Nayar of the Press Council of India and Prakash Dubey of the Editors’ Guild of India were present in the programme.
- This event has been sponsored by the Manipur tourism department in collaboration with Information and Public Relations department and the state level committee of the Act East Policy.
First edition of INSPIRE 2017 kicked off in Jaipur
- The first edition of the International Symposium to Promote Innovation & Research in Energy Efficiency (INSPIRE 2017) has been get off to the Jaipur today. The five-day symposium has been going to organized by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) in partnership with The World Bank, and Alliance for an Energy Efficient Economy (AEEE).
- INSPIRE 2017 is an International Conference that has been going to take off with the many of the stakeholders such as policy makers, innovators, financiers, influencers to showcase best practices in the sector. This will available the platform for energy efficiency community to discuss energy efficiency policies, market transformation strategies, emerging technologies, delivery and business-model driven transformations.
- This event has been developed and designed for the global and national thought-leaders and implementers to expand perspectives on energy efficiency and spur ideas and solutions that will help leverage the full potential of energy efficiency and bring its multiple co-benefits to the fore.
- The highlight of the symposium is the high-level deliberations driven by policy makers and experts from Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), The World Bank Group, The Energy Institute (TERI), International Energy Agency (IEA), Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI), USA and representatives of the Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) – a high-level global forum to promote policies and programmes that advance clean energy technology.
Russia to help India set up crisis management center
- Russia has been going to assist the India to set up a national crisis management center in the country to handle disaster and other emergency situations. This agreement has been done at the time of the meeting between Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Russian Minister for Emergency Situations Vladimir Puchkov in Moscow today.
- In that there has been the both of the sided has been agreed for the EMERCOM of Russia would cooperate with India in the establishment of the National Crisis Management Centre (NCMC) in India, an official statement said.
- Mr Singh has did the full of the discussion with Mr Puchkov on cooperation in disaster management. In that they has given the talk of progress made on the agreement on disaster management signed in 2010.
- Mr Singh has also did the meeting with the Nikolai Patrushev, secretary, Security Council of Russian Federation yesterday. During the meeting, both sides reinforced their determination to further strengthen their cooperation in the sectors of security and counter-terrorism.
- Russia, the world’s largest nation, borders European and Asian countries as well as the Pacific and Arctic oceans
- Its landscape ranges from tundra and forests to subtropical beaches
- It’s famous for Moscow’s Bolshoi and St. Petersburg’s Mariinsky ballet companies
- Petersburg, founded by Russian leader Peter the Great, has the baroque Winter Palace, now housing part of the State Hermitage Museum’s art collection
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian ruble
- President: Vladimir Putin
India to assist in strengthening transport system in Kabul
- India has been going to provide the USD 2.87 million to Afghanistan for refurbishment of 350 buses that will help in strengthening the public transport system of Kabul.
- “An MoU in this regard was signed by Manpreet Vohra, Indian ambassador to Afghanistan, and Afghan Transport Minister Hameed Tahmasi,” the Indian Embassy in Kabul said in a statement.
- “The 350 buses are expected to be operational by end of 2018,” the statement, tweeted by the Ministry of External Affairs, said.
India becomes biggest consumer of Ukraine agriculture exports
- India was the biggest market for Ukrainian agriculture products in the starting of the 10 month of 2017, importing 11.3 percent of exports in cash terms, Ukraine’s Agriculture Ministry said on Tuesday.
- “Ukrainian agriculture exports were worth $14.7 billion in the 10 months to October, about 23 percent more than in the same period last year,” the ministry said in a statement.
- The ministry said, “Sunflower oil dominated Ukrainian agriculture exports in January-October, worth $3.6 billion. Ukraine also exported 15.6 million tonnes of maize for $2.4 billion and 14.2 million tonnes of wheat for $2.2 billion.”
- Agriculture consultancy UkrAgroConsult said, “Ukrainian sunflower oil available for export was expected to fall 4 percent to 5.58 million tonnes in the 2017/18 season due to a smaller sunflower harvest.”
- UkrAgroConsult said, “334,000 tonnes of sunflower oil was exported to India in September-October against 206,000 tonnes in the same two months of 2016. Ukraine’s share of the Indian market rose by 10 percentage points to 39.4 percent.”
BANKING AND FINANCE
Asian Development Bank to provide $20 billion loan to India over five years
- Multi-lateral funding agency Asian Development Bank (ADB) on Monday has announce that it has going to raise its funding of annual to India up to $4 billion from existing $2.7 billion, from next year.
- “To accelerate inclusive economic transformation of India, ADB has decided to provide loans up to $4 billion on annual basis including non-sovereign debt during 2018-22,” said Kenichi Yokoyama, ADB Country Director in India.
- “So cumulatively, India, the largest recipient of ADB, will get about $20 billion over a period of 5 years. As part of the country strategy 2018-22, annual sovereign funding will increase from $2 billion to $3 billion while private sector funding would be doubled to $1 billion,” he said.
- “The other priority pillars include increasing annual funding to low income states and climate change,” he said.
- ADB said, “Infrastructure continues to be a major bottleneck”. The agency said it has identified an investment shortfall of $230 billion a year in infrastructure sector. On GDP growth, he said, “India is expected to grow at 7% in the current fiscal and will accelerate to 7.4% next fiscal.” “Although the first quarter growth was muted, it is expected to pick up in the remaining quarters and average growth would be 7%,” he said.
- Indian economy expanded by 5.7% in the first quarter of the current fiscal, the lowest in the three years. On job creation, Yokoyama said, it is a challenge for India. “Looking at past performance, India’s poverty reduction record has been quite substantial. We saw rural wages growing faster than economic growth rate. It has led to reduction of agriculture labour,” he said. Skill development is an area that would help in employability, he said.
- The Asian Development Bank is a regional development bank established on 19 December 1966, which is headquartered in the Ortigas Center located in Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Takehiko Nakao
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Membership: 67 countries
- Purpose: Economic development
- Subsidiaries: Asian Development Bank Institute
DBS Bank lowers India’s FY18 GDP growth to 6.6%
- Singapore’s DBS Bank has decreases the India’s GDP growth forecast for current fiscal to 6.6 percent from the previous 6.8 percent, citing that businesses were “still adjusting” to the new GST regime and there was “limited room” for fiscal support.
- The Bank, has thinking that there has been the changes in the economy of the India in the fiscal 2019 and achieve a growth rate of 7.2 percent.
- “With businesses still adjusting to the goods-and-services tax (GST) regime, slow progress in corporate deleveraging, and limited room for fiscal support, we have nudged down our FY18 GDP forecast to 6.6 per cent YoY from 6.8 percent previously,” it said.
- “These will test the economy’s resilience against any unexpected event shocks, at a time when global tailwinds (oil and liquidity) look set to reverse,” said the bank.
- “We expect the economy to recover to 7.2 percent Year-on-Year (YoY) in FY19, from a likely 6.6 percent in FY18. Consumption is expected to drive this revival as households benefit from higher wages and allowances, along with benign inflation and wide real rates,” it said.
- “We expect the INR to depreciate towards 67 and 68 against the USD in 2018 and 2019, respectively,” the DBS report said.
- DBS Bank is a multinational banking and financial services corporation headquartered in Marina Bay, Singapor
- Headquarters: Singapore
- CEO: Piyush Gupta (9 Nov 2009–)
- Revenue: 10.28 billion USD (2016)
- Subsidiaries: POSB Bank, DBS Bank (Hong Kong) Limited, MORE
- DBS Bank is the largest bank in Southeast Asia by total assets (333.5 US$ billion)
Science and Technology
Tata Power Solar commissions India’s first rooftop solar carport
- Tata Power Solar has announced today that it has commissioned India’s first solar carport on the rooftop of mall in the national capital.
- The company said it has get at the landmark at the peak of the commissioning an unprecedented rooftop project in India – a solar carport on the rooftop of the sprawling 70,000 sq mt Unity One mall in Rohini.
- It said in a statement it has said that the unique rooftop carport is estimated to set off 438 tonne of carbon emission annually. Tata Power Solar won the bid in the open tender process fielded by Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) for multi-level car parking.
- By this there will be the real value of the real value of the energy produced by earning on the unused and excess solar electricity produced. It also cuts down the need to install a second meter or an expensive battery storage system as it is directly connected to the local power grid.
Sathiyan wins gold in 2017 ITTF Challenge, Spanish Open
- Indian table tennis player G. Sathiyan has won the gold medal after defeating Japan’s Kazuhiro Yoshimura 4-2 (11-7, 3-11, 11-6, 6-11, 13-11, 11-7) in the game of the men’s singles final of the 2017 ITTF Challenge Spanish Open in Almeria.
- The ninth seeded Indian’s calculated game that will provide the one of the 11th seed, who displayed sheer power on Sunday night. By amazingly this was the Sathiyan’s second major title as he had won the singles gold two years ago in the ITTF World Tour Belgium Open.
- By led of the 2-1, Sathiyan led the fourth game 4-2 but Yoshimura won the next four points to go 6-4 up and from there he never surrendered.
- Sathiyan has given the best performance in the next and led 7-6 before calling timeout. On returning, the Indian moved ahead 9-7 but then lost the next three points when the score stood 2-2.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Water Resources Ministry pavilion bags gold medal in IITF
- The pavilion of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has won the gold medal in the in the Ministries/ Departments category for excellence that has shown in the India International Trade Fair- 2017 New Delhi.
- In this event there has been the many of the students and youths visited the pavilion and showed keen interest in the exhibits. In that many of the quiz competitions had been placed for the visitors to make them aware about various water resources related issues including water conservation, drip irrigation, inter linking of rivers etc.
- Shri Akhil Kumar, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation received the Gold Medal award from Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Shri CR Chaudhary at a ceremony in New Delhi yesterday.
Malayalam actor Thodupuzha Vasanthi passes away
- Popular Malayalam stage, movie and television actor Thodupuzha Vasanthi has been died at the age of 65 years, at a private hospital in Thodupuzha on Tuesdaymorning.
- She has started her career in the film industry in the year 1975, Vasanthi has acted in over 450 films and was mostly seen doing side roles and even negative ones.
- In the famous movies the some are the, Yavanika, Poochakkoru Mookkuthi — directed by Priyadarshan, Nirakootu and Godfather to name a few.