Maneka Gandhi launches training program for Elected Women Representatives of Panchayats
- Union Minister of Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi has started the one of the most needed training program for Elected Women Representatives (EWRs) of Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) and Master Trainers here today.
- The capacity-building program has been headed by the National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD) of the WCD Ministry, which will ultimately train approximately 20,000 EWRs covering nearly 50 EWRs from each district by March 2018.
- “It is regrettable that not many women sarpanches and EWRs come forward to take up their responsibilities and mostly allow their husbands to take the lead. So, they remain ‘sarpanchanis’ in name only, the Minister added.
- She said, “Training two lakh women sarpanches across the country will help bring important changes”. “It will help to create model villages and help prepare women as political leaders of the future. The training program will include simple engineering skills and will give them an insight into women’s issues as well as focus on education and financial matters,” she added.
- “The capacity building of EWRs is critical to empowering women to participate effectively in the governance processes,” an official press release said.
- “This will help them assume the leadership roles expected of them and guide their villages towards a more prosperous future. About 150 master trainers and 450 EWRs attended the program,” the release added.
Two-day Korea Tourism Festival 2017 opens in Haryana
- There has been the two day of the show fest at the Korea’s rich art, culture and Korea Tourism Organisation (KTO) Executive Vice President Min Hong Min at the Ambience Mall here started heritage on Sunday along with Joint Secretary in the Ministry Of Tourism Suman Billa.
- This event has been organised by the tourism boards of South Korea and related organisations such as Gyeonggi Tourism Organization, Gimhae City, Busan Metropolitan City, Busan Tourism Organization, Jeollabuk Do, Gwangju Metropolitan City, Gwangju Convention and Visitors Bureau, Incheon International Airport Corporation and Visit Korea Committee were present at the event.
- Speaking on the inauguration, Min Hong Min said “We have organised the Korea Culture and Tourism Festival for Indians to feel and experience Korean traditional and modern culture represented by Korean Wave. I hope this two days’ event will help Indian people understand and feel Korean ethnicity. We hope that Indian audience enjoy the experiential activities and Korean performances at the festival”. “Besides, we have brought the leading airlines and travel bodies at the festival to promote Korea tour products & promotions so that our visitors can make the best of everything.”
- Jong Sool Kwon, Director Korea Tourism Organisation India (KTO) said “Korea Tourism Organization is entering a new dimension of tourism promotion in India with the festival. Travelling to Korea for Indians is getting more favourable with increased flight connectivity and competitive costs. With increased number of Indian travellers to Korea, we would get more adaptable to their travelling requirements.”
Odisha launches Fish Pond Yojana to increase fish production
- The State government has started the new scheme-‘Fish Pond Yojana’- in order to create additional 2,200 hectares of fresh water aquaculture farming. In the more term, the government aims to provide 50 per cent financial help to the farmers under this scheme.
- “The state plan scheme has been introduced with a budget provision of Rs 96 crore,” said Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, while attending a workshop on ‘Doubling of Farmers Income through Dairy and Allied Farming Practices’.
- “Various services in the fisheries sector are also being made online today. I would expect an active participation of women SHGs and Fisheries Cooperatives in taking advantages of various schemes launched by my government,” Patnaik said.
- “We are also dedicating Animal Ambulance Service in Berhampur and Cuttack urban areas with a budgetary provision of Rs 1 crore to provide emergency assistance to sick and injured animals,” he added.
- “As per the latest survey of Government of India, Odisha is the only State in the country to have doubled farmers’ income in real terms over a decade,” said Patnaik.
- He added, “Livestock and Fisheries sectors play an important role in the development of rural economy in the state. These sectors have a tremendous relevance for the livelihood of small and marginal farmers who derive a substantial part of their income from the sale of milk, meat, egg and fish,”
- “Due to persistent and novel initiatives taken by the state government, the annual fish production in the state has increased from 2.60 lakh tonnes to more than six lakh tonnes in the last 17 years. Similarly, per day milk production has seen a quantum jump from 24 lakh litres in 2000 to 54 lakh litres now,” he said.
IMMSAREX-17 begins in Cox’s Bazar
- The Indian Ocean Naval Symposium Multilateral Maritime Search and Rescue Exercise-2017 (IMMSAREX-17) has been ready to start the Bay of Bengal for the first time on Monday, November 27.
- Bangladesh President Md Abdul Hamid will start this exercise at the Hotel Royal Tulip, adjacent Inani Beach at Cox’s Bazar, on Monday. He will also visit the fleet review by helicopter and later inaugurate the beach carnival.
- The exercise has been decided to start at the Bay of Bengal on November 28 and 29, where participating naval warships will conduct drills related to fire fighting, sea accidents and rescue, deep sea searches for missing ships, emergency rescue operations, and searches for missing aircraft.
- The 23 IONS members are: Bangladesh, France, India, Indonesia, Iran, Kania, Maldives, Morisash, Mozambic, Myanmar, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Cicilis, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Timur Leseth, United Arab Emirates and United Kingdom.
- Meanwhile, the nine observer nations are: China, Germany, Italy, Japan, Madagascar, Malaysia, Netherlands, Russia and Spain.
WHO for first time releases guidelines on child sex abuse
- There is in the first term of the World Health Organisation has formulated clinical guidelines on responding to children and adolescents that has been get at the sexually abused. The guideline that has been going to provide has been get at the some of the health care providers general practitioners, gynaecologists, paediatricians, nurses and others who may directly receive a victim of sexual abuse or may identify sexual abuse during the course of diagnosis and treatment.
- “We welcome the WHO guidelines. These should be followed with ground training of all first line respondents,” said Dr. Samir Dalwai, president of Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP), Mumbai chapter.
- “The victims and their families face the worse in terms of investigation and its outcome. It is not adequate to pass on the burden on the healthcare sector. The government needs to adopt a policy that will streamline all the other aspects as well,” he said, adding that in 2010, the IAP released similar guidelines on ‘recommendations on recognition and response to child abuse and neglect in the Indian setting.
- “One of the most commonly seen mistakes in handling child sexual abuse cases is re-traumatising the child as well as his parents with questions. Such mistakes can be avoided if those dealing with such cases are well trained,” Dr. Mohite said, adding that the staff at his centre undergoes regular trainings.
- The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health
- It was established on 22 July 1946 headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 7 April 1948
- Head: Tedros Adhanom
- Customer service: 011 6656 4800
- Formation: 22 July 1946; 71 years ago
- Founders: India, United States of America, Turkey, Venezuela,
Miss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters is crowned Miss Universe 2017
- Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters, who was the representative of the South Africa, has won the Miss Universe crown Sunday.
- The 22-year-old, who is getting use the reign as the champion HIV/AIDS and self-defense causes, was crowned at The AXIS Theater at Planet Hollywood casino-resort on the Las Vegas Strip.
- “HIV/AIDS is a very big problem in my country South Africa, so I hope to stand as an advocate for that,” she said before reporters after the event.
- “In some places, women get paid 75 percent of what men earn for doing the same job, working the same hours, and I do not believe that is right,” said Nel-Peters, who recently earned a business management degree. “I think we should have equal work for equal pay for women all over the world.”
- “You feel so empowered because you are on a stage with 91 other women that are strong, that are independent, that have worked really hard,” she said. “They are all winners; they are winners of their own countries, and to me, that was so empowering. That just showed me that if women take hands and stand together, we are unbreakable and we can say no to the things that are wrong in the workplace, at home or wherever you might go.”
- “Sexual harassment is a form of abuse and no abuse should be tolerated whether in the workplace or in society,” Bennett said. “I believe that men and women should come together and be professional.”
BANKING AND FINANCE
BillDesk launches cryptocurrency exchange Coinome in India
- Cryptocurrencies’ has been getting spread in all over world fastly. In the other term in the US-based derivative exchange CME Group has announced plans to launch Bitcoin futures, there has been the Indian payment gateways Billdesk-owned Hatio Innovations has recently launched a cryptocurrency exchange Coinome in India.
- Speaking to Inc42, Vivek Steve Francis, CEO of Coinome says, “The aim is to bolster blockchain technology in India. We have had a soft launch of Coinome (β) on October 10, this year; and, after the successful run of β-Coinome, we have now officially launched Coinome exchange. Currently, offering the trading of Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash, the plan is to launch five-six more leading cryptocurrencies by next month.”
- “Coinome is also the first Cryptocurrency exchange to introduce e-KYC process using Aadhaar numbers. Unlike other major cryptocurrency exchanges, we have planned to introduce the trading of leading 20 cryptocurrencies by 2018,” adds Vivek.
- Speaking about the same, Vivek Steve Francis, CEO of Coinome said, “At Coinome, we are excited to bring crypto-currencies to the masses. India, with a limited number of exchanges supporting multiple crypto-currencies, offers immense opportunities. We would fundamentally like to provide Indian users with a secure and convenient means for buying or selling Bitcoins, and other crypto-currencies. In the next one year, our target is to support up to 20 popular crypto-currencies and promoting the same within Indian masses as commercially viable alternatives for building their digital assets.”
- Commenting on this initiative, Srinivasu MN, Cofounder & Director of BillDesk said, “Advancements in Blockchain as well as crypto-currency space are happening at a rapid pace. We are making the long-term bet that digital currencies are going to be powering transactions in the future and change the way consumers and organisations interact and transact with one another.”
- BillDesk is an Indian online payments company based in Mumbai, India
- As of 2015, the company is worth USD 1 billion
- Founded: 2000
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Area served: India
- Founders: Karthik Ganapathy, M.N. Srinivasu, Ajay Kaushal
Bank of Baroda launches digital Supply Chain Finance solution
- State-run lender Bank of BarodaBSE -0.26 % has today launched digital Supply Chain Finance solution that have the aim to boost the working capital loan opportunities for the small and medium enterprises and large corporate clients. By this there will be the supply chain finance products which covers pre- and post-shipment products like dealer and vendor finance.
- “With this latest state-of-art digitized supply chain finance product, we are now live with few large corporates and many more in pipeline,” said P.S.Jayakumar, MD, Bank of Baroda. “This product will empower the Bank and give us competitive positioning in the market, highlighting our intent as a leader in the field of Supply Chain Finance.”
- “We have kept the design & framework of the technology & processes for the Supply Chain Finance product such that it will augment the growth drivers for both Large Corporates and MSME clients,” said Mayank Mehta, ED, Bank of Baroda. “It has been our endeavour to support our client’s Eco-System partners and leveraging their trade relationship to augment their business.”
- PS Jayakumar, Managing Director & CEO, Bank of Baroda says, “With this latest state-of-art digitised SCF product, we are now live with few large corporates and many more in pipeline. With this product we will be augmenting our relationship with Large Corporate Customers and SME clients. This product will help us enter new Large Corporate Relationship and MSME clients.” Mayank Mehta, Executive Director, Bank of Baroda, adds: “We have kept the design and framework of the technology and processes for the Supply Chain Finance product such that it will augment the growth drivers for both Large Corporates and MSME clients.”
- Bank of Baroda is an Indian state-owned International banking and financial services company headquartered in Vadodara in Gujarat, India
- It has a corporate office in Mumbai. Based on 2017 data, it is ranked 1145 on Forbes Global 2000 list
- Customer service: 1800 102 4455
- Headquarters: Vadodara
- CEO: P. S. Jayakumar (13 Oct 2015–)
- Founder: Sayajirao Gaekwad III
- Founded: 20 July 1908
- Subsidiaries: Nainital Bank, Bobcards
Aegon Life Insurance appoints Vineet Arora as MD & CEO
- Aegon Life Insurance has appoint the Vineet Arora as the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, effective January 2018.
- Arora has get the place of the K S Gopalakrishnan who had left the company on November 17, 2017, a company press release said.
- Chief People Officer of Aegon Life Insurance, Saba Adil, will serve as the interim In-charge and Principal Officer.
- “Arora has had a long association with the ICICI Group, working with ICICI Prudential Life and later helped build a profitable multi-channel distribution business as the Senior General Manager and Head of Product, Distribution, Marketing and Wealth Management at ICICI Securities,” the press release added.
- Aegon Life Insurance Company is an Indian life insurance provider founded in 2008 with headquarters in Mumbai, offering individual and group insurance online and offline
- CEO: K. S. Gopalakrishnan (14 Jan 2014–)
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Founded: 2008
- Area served: India
- Type of business: Privately held company
India wins 10 medals in Para-Badminton World Championships
- India has get won the 10 medals, in that there have two golds, at the BWF Para-Badminton World Championships here today.
- India’s Parul Parmar get beated the Thailand’s Wannaphatdee Kamtam 21-8 21-17 in the finals of the women’s singles Standing Lower (SL3) to clinch the gold medal.
- Terminology – SL (Standing Lower); SU (Standing Upper); SS (Short Stature)
- Gold: Parul Parmar (WS SL 3)
- Gold: Parul Parmar with Japan’s Akiko Sugino (WD SL 3-4)
- Silver: Tarun Dhillon (MS SL 4)
- Silver: Manoj Sarkar (MS SL 3)
- Bronze: Raj Kumar/Rakesh Pandey (MD SU 5)
- Bronze: Raja Magotra/Ruhi Satish Shingade (XD SS 6)
- Bronze: Umesh Vikram Kumar with Thailand’s Chawarat K (MD SL 3-4)
- Bronze: Raja Magotra/ Mark Joseph Dharmai (MD SS 6)
- Bronze: Manasi Joshi (WS SL 3)
- Bronze: Pramod Bhagat (MS SL 3).
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Health Ministry wins Bronze Medal at the India International Trade Fair 2017
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has been given the award of the Bronze Medal for its creative and informative display at the 37th India International Trade Fair 2017 being held at Pragati Maidan, here today.
- The Shri C R Chaudhary, Minister of State (Commerce and Industry), has given this award at a function organized to award the winners. Smt. Vandana Gurnani, Joint Secretary (RCH, IEC) at the Health Ministry received the award on behalf of the Ministry. Shri L C Goyal, CMD, ITPO and senior officers of the Ministry were also present at the function.
- The Health Ministry has been given the highlight to the main aim that of the Health Ministry such as Mission Indradhnaush for expanding full immunization coverage, introduction of new vaccines, Pradhan Mantri Matritva Suraksha Yojana (PMSMA), Mother’s Absolute Affection (MAA) for encouraging breastfeeding, Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) for strengthening the tertiary health sector.
Jazz singer Jon Hendricks passes away
- Jon Hendricks, the pioneering jazz singer and lyricist with the vocal ensemble Lambert, Hendricks & Ross who was the creator of the amazing music of the jazz vocal technique called “vocalese,” has died at the age of 96 years.
- Singer and pianist Carmen McRae called Hendricks “the greatest lyricist in the world” and Al Jarreau said he was “pound for pound the best jazz singer on the planet.” Joni Mitchell, who rarely recorded songs other than her own, featured Hendricks’ songs on both “Court and Spark” and “The Hissing of Summer Lawns”
- “In a way I’ve always considered that album to be my Beatles, because I learned every song off it,” she said. “I don’t think there’s another album that I know every song on, including my own!”
- Time magazine labeled Hendricks “the James Joyce of jazz” and Times jazz critic Leonard Feather called Hendricks “the poet laureate of jazz.”
International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People
- The International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People that is the UN-organized observance.
- On this day there has been the event has been done at the United Nations headquarters in New York, as well as at the United Nations offices at Geneva and Vienna.
- This event held on the November 29 each year to mark the anniversary of resolution 181. In the year 2003, it was observed on December 1.