Cabinet introduces ‘Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra’
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs that is headed by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi that has been given the approval for the expansion of the schemes of Ministry of Women and Child Development under Umbrella Scheme “Mission for Protection and Empowerment for Women” for a period 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- CCEA has also approved the new scheme called ‘Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra’, which will empower rural women through community participation that will create the environment which will realize their full potential. In this event Beti Bachao Beti Padhao has also been approved based on the successful implementation in 161 districts.
- The financial outlay during 2017-18 to 2019-20 will be Rs.3,636.85 crore with a Central Share of approximately Rs.3,084.96 crore.
- In this approval, there are the some of the event that has been the social sector welfare schemes especially for care, protection and development of women. The aim of this event is to improvement in declining Child Sex Ratio; ensuring survival. & protection of the girl child; ensuring her education, and empowering her to fulfil her potential.
- This will give the idea to the rural women to approach the government for availing their entitlements and for empowering them through training and capacity building. Student volunteers will encourage the spirit of voluntary community service and gender equality. These students will serve “agents of change” and have a lasting impact on their communities and the nation.
PM Modi inaugurates largest-ever Global Conference On Cyber Space in New Delhi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has started the fifth edition of the Global Conference on Cyber Space or GCCS today in Delhi; it is get to know by the official statement. GCCS is one of the world’s largest conferences on cyber space.
- “This is a historic moment for all of us to host the Fifth edition of the Global Conference of Cyberspace in India. I believe it is a recognition of India’s emerging role as a massive cyber power, accelerated by the Digital India push, which has acquired international acknowledgment,” said Ravi Shankar Prasad, Electronics & IT and Law & Justice Minister.
- “The GCCS 2017 is certainly in accord with the Hon’ble Prime Minister’s vision to transform India into a digitally empowered country. GCCS 2017 will give the world’s cyber community a unique opportunity to learn from global experience and expert insight, and discover more about the technology led transformation being engineered in India,” he added.
- “The GCCS 2017 is going to be four times bigger than its previous edition in terms of its magnitude. The last conference held in The Netherlands saw about 1,800 delegates, and I am happy to announce that we have over 10,000 delegates who will participate in person. There will also be virtual participation from over 2,800 locations across the world will be connected in an interactive mode,” Mr Prasad said. This will make it the largest-ever GCCS event since its inception.
- “We have had over 40 Run-up events around the world since March 2017 to precede the main event that received an unprecedented response from the policy makers, industry, academia, civil society and think tanks. We look forward to cooperation and knowledge sharing among countries to implement and replicate successful initiatives as one of the major expected outcomes of this conference,” the minister added.
- “Thirty-three ministers from various nations dealing with the subject matter of cyber space (ICT or similar ministries in some countries and Foreign Ministry in others) have already confirmed. Prime Minister of Sri Lanka also is expected to come for the inaugural ceremony,” it added.
Centre initiates ‘safe city’ plan for women in 8 metro cities
- Union Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba on Wednesday has headed the meeting to kickstart the process of formulating comprehensive safe city plans for women in eight metropolitan cities including that was held in the Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.
- This plan of the sefty will be firstly held in the in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Lucknow and Hyderabad.
- “Independent analysis and feedback system should be institutionalised to assess the perception of women on ground regarding their safety issues. Their feedback and suggestions on various issues can also be incorporated after independent survey and our approach to women’s safety can thus be fine tuned,” the union home secretary said.
- In the event that has decided to implement in that there are the some of the 33 per cent reservation of women in the police, installation of CCTV cameras, deployment of women in police stations, emergency response system, police verified public transport, prevention of cyber crime, infrastructure issues, mapping of dark spots and crime-prone areas and involvement of educational institutions, among others.
Sangai Festival 2017 held in Manipur
- President of India Ram Nath Kovind with the company by Governor Dr Najma Heptulla, Chief Minister Pema Khandu of Arunachal Pradesh,Chief Minister N Biren of Manipur, Chief Minister TR Zeliang of Nagaland and Union tourism minister of state(Independent in charge) K Alphons has started the most awaited event that is the 8th edition of the Manipur Sangai Festival, an annual tourism event at the well attended colourful Bhagyachandra Open Air Theatre (BOAT) in Imphal on Tuesday evening.
- Speaking on the occasion, President of India Kovind said, “Manipur is India’s window to south east Asian countries to take up the Act East Policy. President also hoped that the centre and states partnership for development projects will bear fruits.”
- The event has been started from the Tuesday at the Seram Jeken Meitei (Khongman Zone IV), who caught first weighing 4.77 kg won the first prize that carried a cash prize of Rs 10000.Wang-kheirakpam Ranjit (Nongmei-bung), with 4.31 kg, got the second prize of Rs 7000.Moirangthem Simond (Sagol-band Salam Leikai) received the third prize of Rs 5000 after catching 3.80 kg of fish.
- In particular, this includes the exhibition matches of football between the Mandalay and Manipur women’s teams, sepak takraw between Thailand and Manipur, yubi laakpi, mukna, khong kangjei, thang ta, the international invitation kang tournament, muay thai and the various adventure sports.
- Manipur is a state in Northeast India, with the city of Imphal as its capital
- It is bounded by Nagaland to the north, Mizoram to the south, and Assam to the west; Burma lies to its east
- Formation: 21 January 1972†
- HDI rank: 5th (2005)
Latin America is World’s most violent region for Women: United Nations
- Latin America and the Caribbean has been noted in the most voilent reagion in all over the world, the United Nations said on Wednesday, highlighting Central America and Mexico as particularly dangerous.
- “The issue of violence against women in Latin America is critical. It’s the most violent region in the world against women outside of conflict contexts,” Eugenia Piza-Lopez, head of UNDP’s gender mission in Latin America, told AFP.
- “The rate of sexual violence against women outside of relationships is the highest in the world in the region, and the second-highest for those who are in, or were in, a couple,” the report stated.
- “Three of the 10 countries with the highest rates of rape of women and girls were in the Caribbean,” it said.
- “In some countries it has become a severe crisis. In the Northern Triangle (Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala) and Mexico the problem of femicide and violence against women has reached epidemic levels, in many cases with links to organized crime,” Piza-Lopez said.
World Trade Organization (WTO) sets up panel on Qatar-UAE crisis
- The World Trade Organization has developed the center that will connect the Qatar’s complaint against measures imposed on Doha by the United Arab Emirates for its alleged financial support for militant groups.
- Qatar insists UAE’s actions violate its rights and by many of the countries by denying freedom of transit to Qatar. The UAE told that there has been the many of the track has been taken by the exception under WTO rules for national security reasons.
- Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates in June had launched an economic boycott of Qatar and closed land, air and sea access to it. Qatar long has denied supporting extremists.
- There are many countries in which the United States, China and South Korea argued on Wednesday that the 22-year-old WTO is not the right place to resolve the matter.
- The World Trade Organization is an intergovernmental organization that regulates international trade
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Purpose: Regulate international trade
- Founded: 1 January 1995
- Membership: 164 member states
- Formation: 1 January 1995; 22 years ago
- Official language: English, French, Spanish
Facebook to help small businesses in India, train 5 lakh Indians by 2020
- Social networking biggest media, Facebook on Wednesday has said that it want to train about the some of the five lakh people in India on digital skills by 2020 and has unveiled two programmes designed for individuals and start-ups.
- “India is poised to have a digital economy worth $1 trillion by 2022. We believe the best way to prepare India for this digital economy is by providing tools, knowledge, and skills people need to succeed,” Facebook Head of Programmes, India and South Asia Ritesh Mehta told PTI.
- “Through all these initiatives, we hope to train more than half a million people in India by 2020,” he said adding that more than 51,700 small and medium businesses have been trained by Facebook in India, including 12,000 women entrepreneurs, through Boost and She Means Business.
- “The content, which has been kept light keeping in mind network conditions in the country, will be available in English and Hindi. We will continue to add lessons and content in the coming months, adapting the curriculum based on people’s feedback,” Mehta said.
- Speaking about the Facebook Startup Training Hubs programme, Facebook Head of Platform Partnerships India and South Asia said, “It will cover a range of subjects including how entrepreneurs can protect their ideas, how to hire, how to go about getting funding, regulations and legal hurdles an entrepreneur needs to consider, among others.”
- Facebook is an American for-profit corporation and an online social media and social networking service based in Menlo Park, California
- Founded: February 2004, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
- Headquarters: Menlo Park, California, United States
- Number of employees: 17,048 (31 December 2016)
- Subsidiaries: Oculus VR, Onavo, Atlas Solutions, WhatsApp Inc., MORE
- Founders: Mark Zuckerberg, Dustin Moskovitz, Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Chris Hughes
BANKING AND FINANCE
Royal Bank of Canada joins the global ranks of banks deemed ‘too big to fail’
- The Royal Bank of Canada is the first Canadian lender that has been going to connect the Financial Stability Board’s list of global systemically important banks, which are deemed too big to fail.
- Over the years, there has been “rampant speculation” that RBC would be included in this list and this “should not come as a big surprise to markets,” said Cormark Securities analyst Meny Grauman in a note to clients.
- “The question is what does that mean for investors, and in our view the likely answer is not much…. the G-SIB buffer will not be additive to its D-SIB buffer, but rather is already included.”
- “It is not a stretch to suggest this bank has always been systemically important to the global financial system (at least a little),” Sedran said in a note to clients.
- “More important to us is the fact that management (in its language), the Board (as evidenced by the buyback activity) and the regulator (with its formal pronouncements) are comfortable that the domestic buffer can absorb the first level of the required global buffer and that the capital position is strong.”
- The Royal Bank of Canada is a Canadian multinational financial services company and the largest bank in Canada
- The bank serves over 16 million clients and has 80,000 employees worldwide
- Headquarters: Montreal, Canada
- CEO: David I. McKay (1 Aug 2014–)
- Revenue: 35.28 billion USD (2016)
- Subsidiaries: RBC Capital Markets, RBC Dominion Securities
UBI gets SEBI approval for Rs 1,000 crore equity issue via QIP
- State-owned lender United Bank of India (UBI) on Wednesday said that it has get the market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) approval for issue of equity shares worth Rs1,000 crore by way of institutional placement.
- The Kolkata-headquartered bank has said in the January that the it has going to spend the Rs1,500 crore through qualified institutional placement (QIP), rights or public issue.
- The lender had raised Rs127.49 crore through sale of shares to qualified institutional investors in May. The bank has given the approval for over 5.49 crore shares to qualified institutional buyers at issue price of Rs23.22 per share, it had said in a regulatory filing.
- UBI had earlier said, “It plans to raise up to Rs500 crore of Basel III-compliant listed additional tier-I debt instruments in the nature of bonds. The lender would seek approval for this amount from its board, which is scheduled to meet on 6 December. At the same meeting, the bank also proposes to get the board’s nod for issue of five crore equity shares in the form of employee stock ownership plan (ESOPs) in one or more tranches.”
- Union Bank of India is one of the largest government-owned banks of India
- It is listed on the Forbes 2000, and has assets of USD 13.45 billion
- All the bank’s branches have been networked with its 6909 ATMs as on 30 September 2015
- Customer service: 1800 22 2244
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Rajkiran Rai G. (1 Jul 2017–)
- Capital ratio: 10.56% (2016)
- Founded: 11 November 1919
- Subsidiaries: Union Asset Management Company Private Limited,
Samsung partners with UP govt to set up 20 healthcare centres
- Samsung India, which is the company of the South Korea-based electronics major, today announced that it had collaborated with the Uttar Pradesh government to set-up 20 new smart healthcare centres across the state to provide healthcare equipment.
- “Since 2015, Samsung has collaborated with 18 government hospitals across the country for the programme and over three lakh patients from the economically and socially deprived sections of society have benefitted from this,” it said in a statement.
- “We are committed to offer affordable healthcare facilities for the people of Uttar Pradesh and welcome the support from Samsung India in helping hospitals cater to the community’s needs for quality healthcare,” Uttar Pradesh Minister of Medical and Health Siddharth Nath Singh said in a release.
- “This is one of the largest initiatives of Samsung under its smart healthcare programme,” the company said.
- “Through this collaboration, we aspire to provide many more people in the state easy access to advanced healthcare facilities,” Samsung India Vice President Deepak Bhardwaj said.
- Samsung Group is a South Korean multinational conglomerate headquartered in Samsung Town, Seoul
- It comprises numerous affiliated businesses, most of them united under the Samsung brand, and is the largest South Korean chaebol
- Headquarters: Seoul, South Korea
- Founder: Lee Byung-chul
- Founded: 1 March 1938, Daegu, South Korea
- Revenue: 174 billion USD (2016)
- Number of employees: 4,89,000 (2014)
- Subsidiaries: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Wiko
Science and Technology
PM Modi launches UMANG app for government services
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday has launched a new mobile app that is the UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) which will give the facility to the citizen the use of the government services on a single platform.
- “Today, we launched the Umang Mobile App, which will provide over a hundred citizen-centric services. At the back-end, these services will be catered for by many different departments of the Union and State Governments. This integrated approach will add an automatic layer of ‘peer performance pressure’, in the working of these departments,” Prime Minister Modi said while addressing the audience at GCCS.
- The Umang app bundles a list of Digital India services, including Aadhaar, DigiLocker, and PayGov. Additionally, the app provides citizens with all the major government services provided through app, web, SMS, and IVR channels. In terms of e-governance, citizens can use the Umang app to access their income tax filing, LPG cylinder bookings, and Provident Fund account.
- “Apart from more than 150 government services, you can use #Umang for payment of various utility bills as well. Please download Umang and share your feedback with us,” notes Law & Justice, Information Technology Minister of India Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- He said, “The quest for an open and accessible Internet often leads to vulnerabilities like cyber attacks, and a major focus area should be training of well-equipped professionals to counter cyber threats.”
- “Stories of hacking and defacement of websites are the tip of an iceberg. They suggest that cyber attacks are a significant threat, especially in the democratic world. We need to ensure that vulnerable sections of our society do not fall prey to the evil designs of cyber criminals,” he said.
Basel to become first city to jointly host Badminton and Para Badminton World Championships in 2019
- Basel has been going to become the first city to jointly host the Badminton and Para Badminton World Championships after it was awarded the 2019 edition of the Para event.
- BWF President Poul-Erik Høyer said, “This is a momentous occasion for BWF and Swiss Badminton – and indeed for the development of our sport and our athletes; bringing able-bodied athletes and athletes with impairments together to showcase their talents under the same roof with their World Championships being held at the same time,”
- “The spectacle of two World Championships being jointly staged, will propel this philosophy to a unique level. It will be something special and amazing to see and we must congratulate Swiss Badminton on their innovative and ambitious thinking,” said Høyer.
- “They have convinced us – the BWF Council – that they can deliver these tournaments, to world-class standards together, and we look forward to this historic occasion. It will surely raise the bar for hosting premier sporting events.”
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Pondicherry University library bags the Highest Profile Registration category award
- Pondicherry University library has get the Highest Profile Registration category award for effective utilisation of the [email protected] platform.
- University librarian R. Samyuktha has get the award at the first [email protected] Forum and Information and Library Network Centers (INFLIBNET) meet jointly organised by INFLIBNET and Informatics Publishing Ltd, held at Gandhi Nagar recently.
- A two-week Faculty Development Program (FDP) sponsored by AICTE on the topic “nano technology for energy and agricultural sectors” was inaugurated at IFET college of Engineering on Monday.
- Pugazhandi Sugumaran from Anna University, Chennai, inaugurated the programme. Professors and scientists from reputed universities will take part in the technical sessions.
Sudip Datta Bhowmik, the noted journalist of Tripura shot dead
- A senior journalist has been get died because of the shot that has get by head battalion headquarters of Tripura State Rifles (TSR) near Agartala on Tuesday. Sudip Datta Bhowmik, 49, was working for a vernacular daily Syandan Patrika and was also contributing to local television channel News Vanguard.
- On November 23, the Editors Guild of India, in the statement he has given the command killing of Bhowmik and demanded that the “culprits be brought to book” by the state government. The Guild pointed out that it “is not an isolated incident in Tripura”.
- “Subal Kumar Dey, Editor of Syandan Patrika, alleged that the killing was an act of vengeance by TSR officials as the slain journalist recently exposed gross financial irregularities in the paramilitary force. The investigative journalist went to the battalion headquarters for want of news when he faced a targeted attack,” he added.
- Reports said, “A TSR trooper shot dead Sudip Datta Bhowmik from point-blank range just outside the office of Commandant Tapan Debbarma at around 11.30 a.m. Surprisingly, the journalist was taken to GB Pant Hospital here at around 2.30 p.m where doctors declared him brought dead.”