Modi asks taxmen to get GST ready, wants action on benami properties:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has questioned taxmen to take necessary steps against those with benami properties and focus on widening the tax net.
- On Tuesday in a meeting of review with officials of the tax departments, the PM sources said, also underlined the need to decrease human interface and adopt measures that do not lead to intimidation.
- On November 8, 2016, the government had demonetised Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes with a stated purpose of cracking down on black money.
- The Senior Government official, who did not has wish to be identified had said that “It was a good meeting and presentations were made on the actions taken after demonetization to address the issue of black money….the meeting was to take stock of the situation and review the overall functioning of the department.”
- In the last month the Income Tax department revealed a one-page income tax return form unveiled by the government on Friday includes a separate section for cash deposits of Rs 2 lakh and more between November 9 and December 30.
- The Arun Jaitley a Finance Minister, along with Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia and other senior revenue officials, were present in the meeting with the Prime Minister by the Sources.
- GST (Goods and Services Tax) is an indirect taxation in India combining most of the existing into single system of taxation.
Aadhaar mandatory: Citizens don’t have absolute right on their body, privacy argument bogus, govt tells SC
- On Tuesday the Government contend in the Supreme Court that Aadhaar was build mandatory for PAN card to weed out fake PAN cards which were used for terror financing and circulation of blackmoney, while terming the concerns over privacy as “bogus”.
- It said to bringing the idea of the Aadhaar card id to have secure and robust system” to guarantee that the identity of a person cannot be faked.
- Countering the petitioners’ objections, Rohatgi also said their “arguments on so-called privacy and bodily intrusion is bogus”.
- The Attorney General claimed that due to Aadhaar, the Centre has saved over Rs 50,000 crore on the benefit schemes for the poor as well as pension schemes as it has helped in ensuring that the funds from government-run welfare schemes reached the persons who were entitled for it.
- The Attorney General had also clarified that nowhere in section 139AA of IT Act, was it mentioned that it would be effective with retrospective effect.
- Aadhaar launched – 28 January 2009
- Budget – US$1.3 billion
- Key People – Nandan Nilekani and Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey CEO, UIDAI
Triple Talaq: Supreme Court Allows Salman Khurshid to Assist As Amicus Curiae
- On Wednesday the Supreme Court permitted the former Union minister Salman Khurshid to assist it in hearing of a batch of pleas challenging constitutional validity of triple talaq,nikah halala and polygamy among Muslims.
- A bench comprising Chief Justice J.S. Khehar and Justices D.Y. Chandrachud and S.K. Kaul also permitted Khurshid, who is a senior advocate to act as an amicus curiae and file his written submissions in the case.
- “We will take it on record. It’s not an issue,” the bench said when the Congress leader said that the time for filing written submission in the matter has already expired and he intended to file certain pleadings in the case.
- A five-judge constitution bench would commence hearing from 11 May to decide a batch of petitions challenging triple talaq,nikah halala and polygamy among Muslims.
- The apex court had earlier said it would decide the issues pertaining to the legal aspects of ‘triple talaq’, ‘nikah halala’ and polygamy among Muslims but would not deal with the question whether divorce under Muslim law needs to be supervised by courts as it fell under the legislative domain.
- Under the Constitution of India the Supreme Court is a highest judicial forum and final court appeal of India.
- Established – 1 October 1937 (79 years ago)
(Federal Court of India) (former)
28 January 1950
(67 years ago) (present)
- Location – Tilak Marg, New Delhi, India
PM Narendra Modi in Haridwar: ‘Blessings of the people of India are the source of my energy’
- Today the Prime Minister Narendra Modi initiates the Patanjali Research Institute at Patanjali Yogpeeth in Haridwar after visiting the Kedarnath temple earlier in the day.
- In an Inauguration programme, PM Modi said that “I have complete faith in the blessings of the people of India. They are a source of my energy.”
- While talking about Indian heritage, he said, “I can say it confidently, we will not ignore or forget the heritage that we have been historically proud of. We must never forget the innovative spirit that our ancestors were blessed with.” He further said, “Let us try to integrate as many people as possible when we are marking the International Day of Yoga.”
- Narendra Modi Born – 17 September 1950 (age 66)
- Political Party – Bharatiya Janata party
- Residence – 7, Lok Kalyan Marg, New Delhi
China to launch own encyclopaedia to rival Wikipedia
- China plans to launch its own online encyclopaedia next year, hoping to build a “cultural Great Wall” that can rival Wikipedia as a go-to information source for Chinese Internet users who Beijing fears are being corrupted by foreign influences.
- China is under pressure to write its own encyclopaedia so it can guide public thought, according to a statement by the project’s executive editor Yang Muzhi published last month on the website of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- China has over 700 million internet users but a 2015 report by US think tank Freedom House found that the country had the most restrictive online use policies of 65 nations it studied, ranking below Iran and Syria.
- Sites blocked due to their content or sensitivity, among them Facebook and Twitter, cannot be accessed in China without special software that allows users to bypass the strict controls.
- Beijing issued a new restriction for online freedoms, requiring Chinese Internet users to provide their real names when accessing online news sources.
- Wikipedia Owner – Wikimedia Foundation
- Created by – Jimmy Wales, Larry Sanger
- Launched – January 15, 2001; 16 years ago
- Wikipedia is a most popular general reference work on the Internet and is ranked among the ten most popular websites.
EU’s Brexit negotiator to unveil Britain talk plans
- On Wednesday the European Union’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier will reveal suggestion for forthcoming talks with Britain, despite raising rancor over how the split will ultimately unfold.
- The Barnier’s has commented four days after leaders of 27 EU nations met–without British Prime Minister Theresa May–and unanimously agreed on a tough overall strategy.
- Barnier, a French former European commissioner and government minister will be presenting his formal recommendations for the talks based on guidelines agreed on at Saturday’s EU 27 summit.
- The EU says London must guarantee the rights of three million citizens living in Britain who are currently able to live, work and claim benefits there.
- Michel Barnier was born on 9 January 1951.
- He is a French Republican politician who has been serving as European Chief Negotiator for Brexit since December 2016.
An FBI agent fled to Syria to marry ISIS jihadi
- A former FBI interpreter reportedly ran away to marry an IS Terrorist before realizing her mistake and is coming back to US to turn herself in.
- The Daniela Greene travelled to Syria where she was wed to German nationalDenis Cuspert, who knocked under the moniker Deso Dog in his homeland, before changing his name to Abu Talha al-Almani in Syria.
- People familiar with Greene said that they hadn’t seen anything that would lead them to think she would defect from the FBI.
- But after joining him in Syria, she quickly determined she had made a mistake.
- FBI formed – July 26, 1908; 108 years ago
- Headquarters – J. Edgar Hoover Building Northwest, Washington, D.C.
- The FBI is a domestic intelligence and security service of the United States, which simultaneously serves as the nation’s prime federal law enforcement agency.
Godrej Properties sells 1000 apartments across 3 new projects
- On Wednesday the Godrej properties, part of Godrej group said that it has sold over 1,000 apartments across three new project launches – Godrej Origins at The Trees in Mumbai, The Suites at Godrej Golf Links in Greater Noida, and Godrej 24 at Hinjawadi, Pune – since March 2017.
- The Godrej origins at the Trees in Mumbai witnessed sales of 130 apartments within the first week of launch. The Suites at Godrej Golf Links in Greater Noida received a tremendous response with 500 apartments being sold within the first month of its launch.
- Godrej 24 is located in the heart of Phase 1 of Hinjawadi IT Park, Pune, and has excellent connectivity to the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
- The project has obtained a fabulous response, with 450 apartments, with an area in excess of 500,000 sq ft, was sold on a launched week.
- Pirojsha Godrej, executive chairman, Godrej Properties, said, “We are very pleased with this strong response to our new launches across the country. We look forward to building on this momentum in the months ahead.”
- Godrej Founded – 1897; 120 years ago
- Founder – Ardeshir Godrej and Pirojsha Burjorji Godrej
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Revenue – US$4.1 billion
2 months after layoffs, Snapdeal initiates payouts to affected employees
- The 2 month after the Snapdeal undertook a huge cost-cutting drive, which observed it laying off significant portions of workforce across its major business units, the commerce firm has started initiating payouts to the affected employees.
- The company, whose largest stakeholder, SoftBank, is in the midst of engineering its sale to rival ecommerce platform Flipkart, is believed to be on course to meet the timeline it had set for the payouts.
- While Snapdeal has declined to specify the exact number of employees affected by the layoffs, it is believed to range between 1,000 and 1,500 across its three major units: online marketplace Snapdeal, digital payments platform FreeCharge and logistics arm Vulcan Express.
- At its peak, Snapdeal was valued at $6.5 billion, having raised over $1.7 billion in funding from a multitude of investors, including Soft-Bank, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, PremjiInvest and BlackRock.
- In May 2015, Snapdeal had enhanced the pool of its Esop holders and made several senior hires with the promise of heavy chunks of Esops.
- Snapdeal Founded – 2010; 7 years ago
- Headquarters – New Delhi, India
- Founder – Kunal Bahl and Rohit Bansal
SAT admits RIL plea against Sebi ban; next hearing on Aug 8
- Today the securities Appellate Tribunal has admitted Reliance Industries plea against a Sebi order banning it from equity derivatives markets and will hear the matter next on August 8, with the firm saying it should be allowed to invest its surplus funds, including through mutual funds.
- Reliance Industries counsel Harish Salve requested the tribunal to allow it to at least invest its surplus funds in established mutual funds till the time an order is passed.
- With respect to Sebi direction asking theMukesh Ambani- led firm to disgorge “unlawful gains”, the Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT) said, “Please extend it to a later date.”
- In almost 10-year-old case, Sebi on March 24 had banned Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) and 12 others from equity derivatives trading for one year, while accusing the company of making “unlawful gains”.
- The RIL was asked to disgorge Rs 447 crore, along with an annual interest of 12% since November 29, 2007, which itself would be over Rs 500 crore, taking the total disgorgement amount to around Rs 1,000 crore.
- Reliance Founded – 1966; 51 years ago
- Founder – Dhirubhai Ambani
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Key people – Mukesh Ambani
Solar system 2.0 found 10 light-years away
- The Scientist have found that the planetary system located just 10.5 light-years away is just similar to our solar system.
- The researcher said that the system is a prime location to research how planets from around like our sun.
- Previous studies indicate that eps Eri has a debris disk, which is the name astronomers give to leftover material still orbiting a star after planetary construction has completed.
- Debris disks can be broad, continuous disks or concentrated into belts of debris, similar to our solar system’s asteroid belt and the Kuiper Belt – the region beyond Neptune where hundreds of thousands of icy-rocky objects reside.
- One model indicates that warm material is in two narrow rings of debris, which would correspond respectively to the positions of the asteroid belt and the orbit of Uranus in our solar system.
- By using the SOFIA, Kate Su of the University of Arizona and her research team ascertained that the warm material around eps Eri is in fact arranged like the first model recommend, it is in almost one narrow belt rather than in a wide continuous disk.
- The Su said that “The high spatial resolution of SOFIA combined with the unique wavelength coverage and impressive dynamic range of the FORCAST camera allowed us to resolve the warm emission around eps Eri, confirming the model that located the warm material near the Jovian planet’s orbit.
- A scientist is a person attractive in a systematic activity to obtain knowledge that describes and predicts the natural world.
- The person who may be expert in one or more areas of science.
Stephen Hawking says we must leave Earth within 100 year
- The Prof. Stephen has warned the people of earth to leave Earth within 100 years if we want to survive.
- As far as Stephen Hawking is concerned, everyone had better start making preparations for leaving the earth.
- The renowned theoretical physicist believes that life on Earth is at an ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as asteroid strikes, epidemics, over-population and climate change.
- In the documentary, airing on BBC 2, he will claim that time is running out for human existence on Earth and we must carve our future elsewhere.
- According to the Hawking, life on earth is very risky though it can be wiped out by a disaster, such as a sudden nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus, or from many other dangers.
- Hawking said that he and fellow scientist James Hartle believed that the big bang and beginning of time could be thought of as the South Pole on the globe, where the latitudinal line were akin to an widening universe, but with every point including the south pole, obeying the same laws of nature.
- Stephen Hawkins Born – 8 January 1942
- Hawkins is an Englishtheoretical physicist, cosmologist, author and Director of Research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology within the University of Cambridge.
MIT researchers develop wireless device to measure walking speeds
- A team of researchers at MIT’s Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Lab claimed to have developed a device capable of measuring the walking speeds with unprecedented accuracy, without requiring the individual to wear an on-body measurement device.
- ead study author and PhD candidate Chen-Yu Hsu said, “By using in-home sensors, we can see trends in how walking speed changes over longer periods of time. This can provide insight into whether someone should adjust their health regimens, whether that’s doing physical therapy or altering their medications.”
- Various researches suggest that how fast a person walks could signals a lot regarding a number of health issues, such as cognitive decline, falls and even pulmonary or cardiac diseases.
- The size of a small painting, the device can be placed on the wall of a person’s house. It builds on Katabi’s previous work that analyzes wireless signals reflected off people’s bodies to measure a range of behaviors, from breathing and falling to specific emotions.
- WiGait is also 85 to 99% accurate at measuring a person’s stride length, which could allow researchers to better understand conditions like Parkinson’s disease.
- MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) Established On April 10, 1861.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology(MIT) is a private research university in Cambridge, Massachusetts, often cited as one of the world’s most prestigious universities.
Cristiano Ronaldo and the art of taking time in your stride
- Throughout his career, Cristiano Ronaldo’s success has always been compared to someone else’s.
- For what came after that has polarised those who follow football for over a decade. Everything Ronaldo did was seen through the stencil of Lionel Messi’s achievement.
- For a while, Ronaldo was left behind as Messi went about scoring goals and winning trophies at will. Then, he came right back into reckoning, breaking Messi’s streak of winning four Ballon d’Or’s in 2013.
- “He never gets injured,” was one of the points that Sir Alex Ferguson used while trying to describe what makes Ronaldo one of the greatest of all time. Until a couple of years ago, finding Ronaldo missing from the Real Madrid squad due to injury, or any reason for that matter, was as rare as a Marvel movie getting an Oscar nomination in any category.
- Ronaldo was always at the right spot at the right time. If there was a cross coming in from any side of the box, the Portuguese would be rising majestically to do something with it.
- Ronaldo Born – 5 February 1985 (age 32)
- He made his international debut in August 2003, at the age of 18.
- He primarily plays as a forward, and also he is one of the best footballer.
CoA Will Move Supreme Court If BCCI Decision Is Against Interests Of Indian Cricket
- The Committee of Administrators (COA) will move theSupreme Court (SC) if the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) general body takes any decision which is “against the interest of Indian cricket” at its SGM on May 7, the COA has warned in a letter to the state units.
- The COA letter also intimated members that ICC may be ready to renegotiate but the Indian board’s demand for USD 570 million — stated as per 2014 revenue model — “will not be accepted” by the global body.
- The N. Srinivasan faction of the BCCI, which held a tele-conference on Tuesday trying to invoke Members’ Participation Agreement (MPA) which allows a pull-out, are bullish about original the revenue model.
- “TheICC and other cricket boards will certainly agree to an amount/share that is higher than what is envisaged under revised financial model.”
- “It is not in the interest of Indian cricket forBCCI to take any drastic step/measure which may result in breakdown of negotiations between BCCI, ICC and other cricket boards, especially since there is sufficient time between now and ICC conference to be held in June, 2017, for a negotiated outcome to be arrived at,” the COA
- BCCI Founded – 1926
- Headquarters – Wankhede Stadium
- Chief Executive – Rahul Johri
- The BCCI is the national governing body forcricket in India.
Diego Maradona to play charity football match versus Sourav Ganguly in September
- Argentine legend Diego Maradona is set to kick off the football carnival in India during his September 18-19 visit.
- This will be the 1986 World Cup winner’s second visit to the city after December 2008 when thousands of fans gathered to welcome him past midnight at the airport.
- The Diego Mardona said that “It is such an honour for me to be able to make this trip. Kolkata is a very special place and I have good memories from my trip there many years ago, the fans were fantastic.”
- The trip is sponsored by Dhulaiwala, an app-based laundry services as the Argentine legend will be seen inaugurating the Dhulaiwala palace.
- Diego Born – 30 October 1960 (age 56)
- The Diego Maradona is an Argentine retired professional’s footballer.