Punjab Government Yet To Come Up With Plan to Abolish DTOs
- Transferring the powers of DTOs to sub-divisional magistrates and Abolishing the post of DTOs and was one of the key decisions of Amarinder government in its first cabinet meeting on March 18.
- The present Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee president Congress leader Sunil Jakhar – Jakhar had said that posts of DTOs had become synonymous with “den of corruption” and that after being voted to power, the government would abolish the posts.
- the Amarinder-government had announced the abolition of posts of DTOs, a four-member team of transport department officials was tasked to study practices prevalent in the adjoining states, Himachal Pradesh and Haryana.
- Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee president Congress leader -Sunil Jakhar – Jakhar.
- Chief Minister of Punjab – Amarinder Singh.
- The capital of Panjab- Chandigarh.
- Governor of Panjab- V P Singh Badnore.
Three years of NDA govt: BJP to organise 125 Modifests, focus on PM’s ‘pro-poor image’
- BJP leader said that a major part of time and resources would be directed towards organising Modifest in at least 125 locations across the country from May 26 to June 15, Among the seven programmes the party is planning for the anniversary celebrations.
- On May 26, Modi will address a public rally in Guwahati the anniversary day and BJP chief Amit Shah is expected to address a press meet in the national capital.
- From the prime minister, office will be sent at least 26,000 letters from the Prime Minister addressing beneficiaries of government schemes.
- BJP leader said, “These letters will address beneficiaries of Ujjwala scheme and Mudra scheme, among others.”
- Establishment of NDA government- May 1998.
- Leader- Narendra Modi
- NDA was sworn in as Prime Minister of India on 26 May 2014.
- Full form of NDA- National Democratic Alliance.
State GST Bill tabled in Uttar Pradesh assembly
- From July 1 the session was convened especially for introduction and passage of the GST Bill with the Narendra Modi-led Central government keen on rolling out the indirect tax regime.
- In the opening session of the 17th Uttar Pradesh assembly the State GST Bill was tabled on Monday with Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath describing the new tax regime as a “welfare measure”.
- Adityanath said, “GST is an important step not only for traders but also for economic reforms in the country. ‘One Nation, One Tax’ is in the interest of the country and also of the state. Now the responsibility is on the Vidhan Sabha to pass the GST Bill.”
- Four key GST legislations — the Central GST Act, the Integrated GST Act, the GST Act and the Union Territory GST Act.
- From July 1 the four legislations, which have since got the president’s assent, aim to pave way for the roll-out of GST.
- Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh- Yogi Adityanath.
- Four legislations State GST bill will roll out- July 1.
- Capital of Uttar Pradesh- Lucknow
- Full form of GST- Goods and Service Tax.
- Governor of Uttar Pradesh- Shri Ram Naik.
Haryana CM Manohar Khattar to lead delegation to Singapore, Hong Kong
- From May 21 to 25 Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar will lead a delegation to Singapore and Hong Kong to promote the state as an investment destination.
- The Chief Minister said that investors there had evinced keen interest regarding investing in Haryana and referred to his visits to the USA, Canada, China and Japan.
- Chief Minister of Haryana – Manohar Lal Khattar.
- The capital of Haryana- Chandigarh.
- Governor of Haryana- Kaptan Singh Solanki.
India skips One Belt One Road Summit in Beijing
- Under its OBOR initiative for constructing railways and highways, China is investing billions.
- China wants that India will extremely attend the conference held by China but New Delhi has kept to make up its mind.
- India was disappointed at China’s move that was to block India’s membership of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) through the admission of not-NPT signatory nations and also by blocking UN sanctions on Pakistan-based terrorist Masood Azhar.
- India has moved toDalai Lama to reach Arunachal Pradesh and to allow a US Congressional delegation but it shows indications of New Delhi sending a clear message to Beijing that it is upset.
- OBR proposed by- China
- President of China- Xi Jinping.
- Unveiled- September and October 2013
Mahmoud Abbas’s visit signifies India’s desire to maintain cordial ties with both Israel, Palestine
- In the power of BJP, the first visit of Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas landed in New Delhi on late Sunday night.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the first Indian prime minister to visit Israel, now he has set to break this tradition.
- Abbas had already travelled to Washington to meet with Trump.
- India wants to extend the footprints in that region and to be excellent ties with Israel and Palestine if one more such request comes in from Abbas, Modi may think it differently.
- Mahmoud Abbas- The President of the State of Palestine and Palestinian National Authority.
- The capital of Palestine- East Jerusalem.
North Korea missile launch will test Donald Trump’s China strategy
- On Tuesday the UN Security Council is decided to discuss with North Korea’s latest provocation. Including on oil imports, the US Ambassador Nikki Haley has raised the possibility of a new set of global economic restrictions for the North.
- The longer-range missiles of North Korea show the advances in its technological capabilities and it offers the sternest test still the President Donald Trump’s strategy to work with China to combat the threat.
- On Monday the White House spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters “We are calling on all those folks in the region, particularly China and Russia, to do everything they can in terms of sanctions to help resolve this situation and bring stability to the peninsula.”
- President of North Korea- Kim Jong-un
- President of United Nation- Donald Trump
Nepal votes in local elections for the first time in 20 years
- Nepal was suffering from political instability from a decade-long Maoist insurgency, Nepal is voting in the local elections for the first time in 20 years.
- Over six thousand polling stations have situated in Nepal in the first phase of this elections. Nepal has started the major step in the young republic’s transition to democracy in local elections which running for the first time in 20 years.
- By the analysis, the reason of delayed development work is the absence of local-level election but this has boosted corruption and undermined efforts in 2015 the devasted areas by two earthquakes will rebuild. In this earthquakes the killed nearly 9,000 people and displaced three million.
- From the survey, Fourteen million Nepalis are eligible for the vote.
- President of Nepal- Bidhya Devi Bhandari.
- Prime minister of Nepal- Pushpa Kamal Dahal
- Capital of Nepal- Kathmandu
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Bank, HDFC to cut home loan rate to match SBI in boost for Housing for All schemes
- On Monday to cut the interest rate by up to 0.3 percent for loans of up to Rs 30 lakh the private lenders bank ICICI Bank and HDFC Ltd have promoted affordable housing. This move is in the keeping of government’s vision to provide homes for all by 2022.
- According to the two lenders bank ICICI and the HDFC the new home loans rates for women on up to 30 lakh will be 8.35 percent and for other, 8.40 percent, the HDFC Ltd have told in a statement.
- The country’s largest private sector lender said that With this cuts of the lender’s bank the salaried borrowers can from the home loans at among the lowest rates in the industry. The employed women borrowers will get home loans at 8.35 percent and others at 8.40 percent
- The ICICI MD Chanda Kochhar said, “In line with this commitment, we have reduced the home loan interest rates for the affordable housing segment. With this announcement, customers of Economically Weaker Section (EWS) and Low Income Group (LIG) can avail the dual benefit of low-interest rates from us and the Credit-Linked Subsidy under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.”
- According to Union Minister for Urban Development, Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation Venkaiah Naidu, the government has until this time has given approval for financial aid for 17.73 lakh affordable houses.
- MD of ICICI bank- Chanda Kochhar
- Director of HDFC bank- Aditya Puri
- Chairman of SBI bank- Arundhati Bhattacharya
Vedanta posts a profit of Rs. 2988 crore for Jan-March quarter
- Diversified natural resources company Vedanta is the one of the world’s largest company have posted a profit of Rs 2,988 crore for the quarter ending March 31, it has done after the loss of Rs 21,104 crore in the corresponding quarter last year that it had claimed due to a non-cash impairment charge of Rs 12,304 crore.
- The Revenue of this is increased by last year 41% from Rs 16,865 crore to Rs 23,691 crore this year. This revenue is added by higher volumes of Zinc India which was supported by a ramp-up in the aluminium and power business and improved metal and oil prices.
- The CEO, Vedanta Tom Albanese said, “I am happy to report that Vedanta has posted strong financial and operational results in FY2016-17. Our strategic focus to ramp up production across the portfolio namely in Zinc, Aluminium, Power and Iron Ore businesses throughout the year, has supplemented revenue growth. In particular, record production levels at Zinc and Aluminium were well-timed in an environment of strong supply side pressures on both commodities. Our cost management initiatives have helped us deliver strong returns for all our shareholders.
- On account of higher volumes of zinc and aluminiumBITDA increased by 109% y-o-y to Rs 7,275 crore.
- CEO of VEDANTA- Tom Albanese
- VEDANTA – Diversified natural resources company
Mumbai airport gets nod for Rs 3.5k crore facelift
- By the government of India, the Mumbai airport has received environmental clearance economic of a Rs 3,500-crore expansion plan and for the shifting of the iconic air traffic control tower to Kalina as much as possible areas to keep term security strategy.
- By the year of 2020, the changes seem to take place for the increasing the passenger at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA) expands to accommodate 50 million passengers. By luckily the chief minister Devendra Fadnavis had announced that the first flight from the proposed Navi Mumbai airport will take off by 2019.
- MIAL have given the award-winning Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT), permission to shift they said that to relocate it there is no recent plans are going. This was constructed around four years ago at a cost of Rs 125 crore.
- senior MIAL official said, “The current ATCT location is highly accessible from all sides. In view of threat perceptions of security agencies, MIAL is considering shifting the ATCT to a more secure location in the southern part of the airport as a long-term strategy. This project will be taken up for implementation only if advised by the security agencies after careful consideration of all aspects.”
- Rank- 14th busiest airport in Asia and 29th busiest airport in the world.
- Established in the year- 1942
Up $63 billion, forex reserves record faster growth under Modi government
- By the analysis of RBI data when Narendra Modi was sworn in as Prime Minister then India’s foreign exchange reserves have grown by $63 billion between May 24, 2014, and May 5, 2017, amazingly growth of the $52 billion increase between May 22, 2009, and May 23, 2014, under the rule of UPA Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
- The Chief Economist Saugata Bhattacharya said,“The accumulation of forex reserves by RBI since early 2014, net of the foreign currency non-repatriable (FCNR) outflows, is in line with large foreign capital inflows, particularly foreign direct investment, reflecting India’s status as a very attractive investment destination.“
- RBI is using the multiple instruments, spot, forwards and futures, for the management of these flows in a situation of surplus domestic liquidity.
- Governor of RBI bank- Urjit Patel.
- Establishment of RBI bank- 1 April 1935 in Kolkata
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Pawan Kumar Chamling conferred with first BS Shekhawat award by President
- By the President Pranab Mukherjee, Sikkim minister Pawan Kumar Chamling get awarded by the first Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Life Time Achievement Award.
- Shekhawat was the Vice President of India from 2002 to 2007.
- The Pawan Kumar Chamling comes in power to first elected in the year 1994 and has continued to be chief minister for 22 years.
- Pawan Kumar is known for the Land of Flowers with a population of around six lakhs, by this Sikkim is gaining popularity as a fully organic state in India.
- Mukherjee said about Chamlings contribution to Sikkim and said it is emerging as a role model for other states.
- President of India- Pranab Mukherjee
- Chief Minister of Sikkim- Pawan Kumar Chamling
- Capital of Sikkim- Gangtok
Mumbai crowned world’s busiest single-runway airport with 1 flight in 65 seconds
- The GVK group of Mumbai airport has announced as the world’s busiest in the single-runway. It gives facilities by handling 837 flights a day means one in 65 seconds by the average fiscal 2017.Before this the London’s Gatwick airport that had 757 flights a day.
- The city airport did tops with 45.2 million people flying in terms of a number of passenger in and out by the average of fiscal 2017 in the appose of 44 million at Gatwick airport. No any other airport in the world which did the soo much flight in the limited second as the Mumbai airport.
- The ATC (air traffic controller) used to manage two arrivals every 130 seconds and one departure in between these two landings
- Before this, the Delhi airport used to handle the much number of passenger it was about 45.2 million, besides this Mumbai handled only 18.6 percent of the total air traffic in the country while the Delhi airport handles the 21.6 per cent of the total air traffic in the country by the report of fiscal 2017.
- The spokesperson of the Mumbai airport said, From around 453 aircraft movements a day in 2006, we have grown to handle over 800 movements daily, handling over 45.2 million last financial year. In terms of cargo shipments, we have grown from 5,32,000 tonnes in fiscal 2008 to 78,29,000 tonnes in fiscal 2017.”
- Establishment of Mumbai airport- 1942
- Name of Mumbai airport- Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
Adiyogi bust’ declared world’s largest by Guinness Book of World Records
- At the Isha Yoga Foundation has been declared the world’s largest bust to the 112 feet tall bust of ‘Adiyogi’ Lord Shiva by the Guinness Book of World Records.
- On February 24 this year the bust at the Isha Yoga Foundation was unveiled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the outskirts of Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu.
- They said,”It is 112.4 feet high, 24.99 meters wide and 147 feet long, as verified on March 11, 2017.”
- Height- 112.4 feet high and 24.99 meters wide and 147 feet long.
- Establishment- 2014 on Guru Purnima
Former Puducherry CM Ramaswamy passes away
- The former Puducherry CM Ramaswamy has passed away at the age of 80 due to the brief illness.
- Narayanasamy was Home Minister in the DMK-CPI coalition ministry from 1969 to 1973.
- Narayanasamy became chief minister in 1974 heading the AIADMK-CPI coalition ministry for a brief period.
- Narayanasamy was also the Chief Minister in the AIADMK government in 1977, which lasted in office for a little over one year.
- Narayanasamy successfully contested as Independent from Karaikal in 1985 and 1990.
- Ramasamy joined Congress in 1992.
- Chief Minister of Pondicherry- Subrahmanyan Ramaswamy
- Work- March 6, 1974 – March 28, 1974
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Book titled “India’s Indira: A Centennial Tribute” launched
- Pranab Mukherjee made his remark at the launch of a book titled ‘India’s Indira – A Centennial Tribute’, which was released by vice-president M Hamid Ansari. This book was edited by the Senior leader Anand Sharma.
- President Pranab Mukherjee said on Saturday that Indira Gandhi remains the “most acceptable Prime Minister to the people of India till today.”
- Indira Gandhi recalled her decisions after the second split while restructuring the Congress in January 1978 – the first divide happened in 1969 —that helped the party make a strong comeback in state polls despite a huge setback in 1977.
- Pranab Mukherjee said,“On 2 January 1978, she was elected Congress president and by January 20, she completed the formation of the working committee, central parliamentary board and prepared the party for elections in Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Assam and NEFA.”
- Former PM Manmohan Singh also had come in the event.
- First female prime minister of India- Indira Gandhi
- Daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru.
Science and Technology
World’s most polluted island revealed
- An uninhabited Pacific island which is thousands of miles away from civilisation has become the most polluted place on Earth.
- In the south Pacific Henderson Island, a coral atoll is just 14.5 square miles (37.5 square km), and the nearest cities are about 3,000 miles (4,800 km) away.
- This island, a territory of the UK, is a sanctuary to a host of threatened species including the Henderson Petrel and Henderson Crake, and its beaches are a nesting site for the endangered green turtle.
- On its shores More than 37 million bits of plastic junk – weighing some 17 tonnes – have washed up, threatening the island’s wildlife.
- Under 10cm (4 inches) of sand Sixty-eight per cent of the plastic was buried.
- Island of pacific ocean
- Its area is about 10000 square kilometres.
NASA, ISRO Team Up To Inspect ‘Oldest Civilization’ Site In Haryana
- The Teams of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) of the United States and the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) would inspect the excavation being carried out at an archaeological site in Haryana’s Fatehabad district to verify claims of it being the oldest civilisation in the world.
- Haryana Archaeology and Museums Minister Ram Bilas Sharma said on Monday in October this year, 2017 NASA and ISRO inspection are likely to be done.
- The Haryana government is considering to establish international-level museums at Kunal and Rakhigarhi.
- Establishment of NASA- 1958
- Establishment of ISRO – 1969
SpaceX launches Inmarsat communications satellite atop Falcon 9 rocket
- On Monday night a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, carrying a huge commercial communications satellite, did settle into the beautiful blue sky.
- The Inmarsat-5 F4 satellite, built by Boeing, lifted off atop a Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida at 7.21 PM (2321 GMT) Monday, May 15.
- “We’ve had confirmation of spacecraft separation, We’ve had good orbits, good separation, all you can ask for today,” said a SpaceX commentator.
- A company statement said,”Inmarsat, the only operator of a global Ka-band network, created the GX platform to enable communities across the world to benefit from the emerging digital society.”
- SpaceX CEO- Elon Musk (2002–)
- Founder- Elon Musk
- Established in – 2002
India’s Performance at Asian Wrestling Championship, New Delhi
- The wrestling championship held on may 14 in the Delhi. The Indian champions get 10 medals in that 1 is gold 5 is silver and 4 is bronze.
- The list of medals winners are as follows:
- Gold Medal Winner (Men Wrestler) – Bajrang Punia
- Silver Medal Winners (Female Wrestlers) – Sakshi Malik, Vinesh Phogat, Divya Kakran and Sarita
- Silver Medal Winner (Men Wrestler) – Sumit
- Bronze Medal Winners (Female Wrestlers) – Jyoti and Ritu Phogat,
- Bronze Medal Winner (Men Wrestler) – Harpreet Singh and Anil Kumar
- Anil, Jyoti won bronze for India in Asian Wrestling
- Bajrang Punia won Gold at Asian Wrestling Championship
- Sakshi Malik, Vinesh Phogat & Divya Kakran won silver in Asian Wrestling Championship
India v Ireland: Indian women in record 320-run stand
- The Indian women’s cricket team player Deepti Sharma and Poonam Raut create a world-record 320-run opening stand during a mammoth 249-run victory over Ireland in the women’s quadrangular series ODI match in Senwes Park, Potchefstroom.
- Deepti scored 188 runs in 160 balls it is the second-highest individual score of all time in women’s cricket while Poonam scored 109 during their record stand, which lasted 45.3 overs.
- Captain of the team- Mithali Raj
- Coach of team-Tushar are the
World Cup winner Carles Puyol honours Indian football icon
- On Monday Former footballer World Cup champion Carles Puyol handed over the first tickets of the upcoming U-17 World Cup to the grand daughter-in-law of 1911 IFA Shield winning Mohun Bagan captain Shibdas Bhaduri.
- In the final of a major tournament, Bhaduri had led the Mohun Bagan team that became the first Indian team to beat a British team they got the better of East Yorkshire Regiment 2-1 in the 1911 IFA Shield.
- Establishment of Indian Football- 1937
- Coach of Indian Football team- Stephen Constantine
International Day of Families – May 15, 2017
- This day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993 with resolution A/RES/47/237 and it reflects the importance the international community attaches to families.
- This Day promotes awareness of issues relating to families and to increase knowledge of the social, economic and demographic processes affecting families.
- The theme of this International day of families is Families, education and well-being
- Establishment of this day – 1993
- Established in – UN General Assembly