SC to pronounce order on Aadhaar card requirements for filing IT return
- PAN card, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi earlier told the two-judge bench headed by Justice A K Sikri, “Today, anybody can get a PAN card with any name on it. A person can get several PAN cards — say, as Mukesh Gupta, then another as Mukesh Kumar Gupta, and a third as M K Gupta, so on and so forth”.
- Ajay Bhushan Pandey, CEO of had earlier said, “We have recently come out with new specifications and asked manufacturers and vendors to go for STQC certification as per the new standards. We have advised that from June 1, they should get devices on the new specifications and that the existing devices should be upgraded to the new norms”.
- Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha on Thursday said, “The government has constituted a technical committee that will prepare a white paper on this proposal in 30 days. Once a passenger books his tickets, the unique ID, along with PNR, will provide all their information and will also serve as a digital boarding pass”.
- The minister said, “There are various ways of securing the unique identification. Clearly, the best way of doing it is by using Aadhaar and other ways are by using a passport or PAN card. As an ‘incentive’, passengers will be able to avail a paperless and seamless travel experience.”
- Full form of UIDAI- Unique Identification Authority of India
- Country- India
- Ministry- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, India
- Key people- Nandan Nilekani,
- Ajay Bhushan Pandey CEO, UIDAI
- Launched- 28 January 2009
Navsari MP meets Suresh Prabhu, seeks more trains for Surat
- On Wednesday BJP MP from Navsari C R Patil met Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu for the installation and meets him to increase the number of trains between Surat and Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. Patil also met Minister of State for Railways Manoj Sinha.
- Patil demanded for the Minister for a special train from Surat to UP. He also requested for the Udhna- Danapur express which runs for two days in a week be made to run for three days and the number of coaches be increased from 17 to 20.
- The BJP MP of the Navsari further demanded that the Chandigarh Goa Sampark Kranti Express should be given a stoppage at Surat. “We have got good response from the ministers,” Patil said.
- Surat, is a port city previously known as Suryapur
- It is the economic capital and former princely state in the Indian state of Gujarat
- It is the eighth largest city and ninth largest urban agglomeration in India
Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani lays foundation stones for two irrigation projects in Dahod
- Chief Minister Vijay Rupani said on Thursday, “People of this region have to migrate to other cities in search of work and have to stay away from their families, but with the implementation of these two projects they will get enough water for irrigation and clean potable water at the doorstep… Dahod district will be free of hand pumps in coming days,”
- The Chief Minister used the opportunity to attack the Congress. “When Congress was in power, they did nothing for the development of the tribal areas. (Former PM) Rajiv Gandhi used to say that when Centre releases 1 rupee grant, only 15 paise reached the beneficiaries. Now, if one rupee is allocated for development work, we complete works worth Rs 1.25.”
- “Aji dam is main drinking water source for Rajkot’s 15 lakh population. However, it rarely gets enough rain water to store in monsoon to use it for drinking water purpose for the rest of the year, city remains dependent on Narmada water supply” Upadhyay said.
- Gujarat, India’s westernmost state, has varied terrain and numerous sacred sites
- In its urban center of Ahmedabad is the Calico Museum of Textiles, displaying antique and modern Indian fabrics
- Spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi’s base from 1917–1930 was Sabarmati Ashram, where his living quarters remain on view
- The Jama Masjid (Friday Mosque), built in the 15th century, has a huge courtyard and a columned design
- Capital: Gandhinagar
North Korea says missile launch a new type of ‘cruise rocket’
- The official KCNA news agency said the rocket was a “powerful attack means capable of striking any enemy group of battleships attempting at military attack on the DPRK (North Korea) from the ground at will”.
- KCNA added the missiles “accurately detected and hit the floating targets on the East Sea of Korea”.
- “This new-type cruise rocket is a powerful attack means capable of striking any enemy group of battleships” attempting to attack North Korea and can be used “at will,” the KCNA report said.
- North Korea, officially the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, is a country in East Asia constituting the northern part of the Korean Peninsula
- Pyongyang is the nation’s capital and largest city
- Supreme leader: Kim Jong-un
- Premier: Pak Pong-ju
- Government: Juche, Totalitarianism, Republic, Unitary state, Socialist state, One-party state
Narendra Modi and Nawaz Sharif meet after 17 months — mainly small talk at Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
- “We are not part of the discussions before the entry, so we cannot provide any input into the Astana declaration, nor put a veto on any element,” an India government source told.
- Daniyar Kosnazarov, analyst on SCO at the Narxoz University in Almaty, told The Indian Express, “President Xi will try to get support for the OBOR before the Chinese Communist Party Congress in September this year, so the SCO will be a platform for him to push that agenda.”
- Alexander Lukin, who is Director, Center for East Asian and SCO Studies, MGIMO-University, said, “OBOR is generally supported by the existing members, but there are also some apprehensions of China in several countries, especially Kazakhstan and Kyrgystan. It looks like India’s presence will give a good counter-balance to the growing Chinese influence in the region.”
- Iskander Akylbayev, senior research fellow at the Kazakhstan Institute for Strategic Studies in Astana, said, “Xi Jinping’s approach towards India will be pragmatic. Both India and China understand their positions well, and why they do not share common ground on issues such as the Belt and Road Initiative”.
- Shanghai, on China’s central coast, is the country’s biggest city and a global financial hub
- Its heart is the Bund, a famed waterfront promenade lined with colonial-era buildings
- Across the Huangpu River rises the Pudong district’s futuristic skyline, including 632m Shanghai Tower and the Oriental Pearl TV Tower, with distinctive pink spheres
- Sprawling Yu Garden has traditional pavilions, towers and ponds
BANKING & FINANCE
US, China, India to be top prospective destination for FDI-UNCTAD
- UNCTAD, however, added a note of caution: “Although new liberalization efforts continue to improve the investment climate in India, tax-related concerns remain a deterrent for some foreign investors.”
- “The new, more optimistic projections for 2017 are attributed to higher economic growth expectations across major regions, a resumption of growth in trade and a recovery in corporate profits,” it said.
- According to UNCTAD Secretary-General Mukhisa Kituyi, “Although this report projects a modest increase for 2017, other factors such as the elevation of geopolitical risks and policy uncertainty may impact the scale of the upturn.”
- Analysing FDI into India, the report said: “Foreign MNEs are increasingly relying on cross-border M&As (mergers and acquisitions) to penetrate the rapidly growing Indian market.”
- Full form of UNCTD- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
- Abbreviation- UNCTAD
- Formation- 1964
- Headquarters- Geneva, Switzerland
Fortune 500: Tesla and 19 Companies joined the list in 2017
- Drivers turn giddy at the chance for show-and-tell especially in China, when you climb into a Tesla as a first-time passenger, where Vanessa Zhu is playing host on this sunny spring day in Beijing.
- “It’s huge, isn’t it?” she says, pressing the double-size, iPad-like control screen in the center console until the stereo blasts Adele’s “Send My Love.” Then comes the ceremonial closing of the gull-wing doors on Zhu’s Model X. We peer through an expansive glass roof.
- “For electric vehicles in China, we have a new technology model every two years,” says Dong Yang, a high-ranking Communist Party official at the China Association of Automotive Manufacturers, the auto lobby.
- Tesla, Inc. is a major American automaker, energy storage company, and solar panel manufacturer based in Palo Alto, California
- CEO: Elon Musk
- Founded: 2003, San Carlos, California, United States
- Headquarters: Palo Alto, California, United States
- Revenue: 7 billion USD (2016)
- Subsidiaries: SolarCity, Grohmann Engineering, more
- Founders: Elon Musk, JB Straubel, Martin Eberhard, Ian Wright, Marc Tarpenning
India among top five consumer markets in Asia: BMI Research
- “Consumer spending in India will maintain strong levels of growth through to 2021, as the country’s positive economic outlook continues,” BMI Research said adding real consumer spending growth is expected to see an average of 6.1 per cent over this five-year period, with 2017 coming in at 6.2 per cent.
- “Due to limitations on the activity that overseas retailers are allowed to undertake, e-commerce has so far been dominated by local firms such as Flipkart and Snapdeal”.
- “However, Amazon is making a real push into the market and recently announced USD 500 mn investment to roll-out online food retailing in India. Bricks-and-mortar retailers are also beginning to enter the e/m-commerce segment, due to the high mobile penetration in the country,” it added.
- Asia is Earth’s largest and most populous continent, located primarily in the eastern and northern hemispheres and sharing the continental landmass of Eurasia with the continent of Europe and shares.
IDBI Bank sets up dept to manage bad loans
- “At the head office level, we have set up a separate department what we call it a NPA management and credit monitoring group. It consists of experienced people from both corporate and retail. They are giving focused attention on each case (of NPA),” IDBI Bank Executive Director Pothukuchi Sitaram told reporters here.
- “We would rather show our performance for the next six months or nine months. By then, we are hopeful of getting better interest rate (for bonds). So accordingly, we will plan for that. By that time, we will be getting some divestment gains (of non-core assets) and also capital infusion from the government which will also improve the investor confidence.
- “So, the prudent time (for all the activities) will be Q3 or Q4 (of the current fiscal),” Sitaram said.
- IDBI Bank is an Indian government-owned financial service company, formerly known as Industrial Development Bank of India, headquartered in Mumbai, India.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Mahesh Kumar Jain (20 Mar 2017–)
- Founded: 1964
- Subsidiaries: IDBI Capital, IDBI Intech Ltd
Science and Technology
India’s 4G LTE availability improves thanks Reliance Jio: OpenSignal Report
- In the starting of the case in India’s case the country has just gone up in the “LTE availability rankings.” In fact, India comes in at number 15 in the list of LTE availability in the world, and OpenSignal notes, this is a “rare instance in which a single operator can have an outsized impact on a mobile market in just a short time.”
- According to OpenSignal, Jio’s entry resulted 4G being made “far more accessible” in the country. However, the report also notes this come at the cost of “lower average speeds,”
- On Costa Rica and India, OpenSignal notes, “as these countries ramp up their 4G services they’re bringing hundreds of millions of new LTE subscriptions online. That’s one of the reasons we saw a drop off in average global LTE speed.”
- Reliance Communications Ltd. is an Indian Internet access and telecommunications company headquartered in Navi Mumbai, Indiat provides GSM mobile services, fixed line broadband and voice services, DTH depending upon the areas of operation
- CEO: Gurdeep Singh (30 Sep 2016–)
- Headquarters: Navi Mumbai
- Founded: 27 December 2002
- Parent organization: Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group
- Subsidiaries: Reliance Digital TV, Global Cloud Xchange
- Founders: Anil Ambani, Mukesh Ambani, Dhirubhai Ambani
Genetically modified crops: Taking fear-mongering to new height
- Pollinators such as honeybees plays their important role in our agricultural production systems. Nearly it said that the quarter of the world’s food is estimated to come from transfer of pollen, from the male to female organs of the flowers of plants, by bees.
- India is the only country as a home to four major species of honeybees Apis mellifera (European bee), Apis cerana indica (Indian bee), Apis florea (dwarf floral) and Apis dorsata (rock bee) of which the two have been domesticated, whereas the others are wildly-occurring and found mainly in forests.
- To unsubstantiated fear-mongering by so-called environmentalists and NGOs claiming to speak for farmer, honeybees are in the news today for an entirely different reason related.
- By the theory of the ancient, they surface whenever any new GM crop is ready for environmental release. Take But cotton. Many anti-GM activists claimed that the widespread cultivation of cotton hybrids containing gene(s) derived from the Bacillus thuringiensis soil bacterium would hugely reduce pollinator populations, at the time of its commercial approval in 2002.
- Full form of NGO- Non-governmental organization
Meghana finishes fourth in women’s Air Rifle at Gabala World Cup
- On Thursday the India’s Meghana Sajjanar and Pooja Ghatkar getlost out on medals by whisker as they finished fourth and fifth match in the women’s 10m air rifle final at the fifth and final stage of the ISSF World Cup (Rifle/Pistol) series, which was held at Gabala, Aerbaijan.
- Meghana who is the 22-year old, she was from Bengaluru, competing in only her third World Cup after making her debut in the first New Delhi leg earlier in the year, shot an excellent 419.6 to qualify for the final in top spot among the eight women.
- Pooja, who was the seasoned shooter, she creates the match by her second final of the year, after her bronze medal winning performance at the New Delhi World Cup, which was also her first-ever World Cup medal.
- Deepak created a score of 623.3 by shot, Satyendra 620.4 and Ravi 620.0. Ravi had earlier made it to two World Cup Finals in New Delhi and Munich without winning a medal.
- Gabala, also known as Qabala, is a city in Azerbaijan and the capital of the Qabala Rayon
- The municipality consists of the city of Gabala and the village of Küsnat
- Rayon: Qabala District
Anil Kumble likely to get one-tour extension as India coach
- “The acting president spoke to senior members and we are all of the opinion that the matter be placed before the SGM in Mumbai on June 26. Till such time, any recruitment process should be kept on hold. Majority of the members are of the same opinion,” senior board functionary Rajiv Shukla told in the report.
- A BCCI official contacted by The Indian Express reasoned, “BCCI president CK Khanna has suggested that as Champions Trophy is still on, it will be not feasible to take decision on Indian team coach now. The Champions Trophy final will get over on 18th whereas Indian team is leaving for West Indies on 20th. There is no time left at the same time if CAC picks a new coach he may not join Indian team. So, it’s better to extend Kumble contract for one more series.”
- “We told Mr Rai that during the domestic season when there are close to 30 teams playing Ranji Trophy, it is difficult to have only three selectors. He has heard our case and he will give it a thought,” the source added.
- Full form of BCCI- Board of Control for Cricket in India
- The board was formed in December 1928 as a society, registered under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act
- Chairman: Vinod Rai (interim)
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Secretary: Amitabh Choudhary
- Vice president: Rajeev Shukla
- Founded: December 1928
- Women’s coach: Purnima Rau
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
2017 NBA Awards: Monty Williams to receive inaugural Sager Strong Award
- “To an individual who has been a trailblazer while exemplifying courage, faith, compassion and grace,” according to a release from the NBA. Sager passed away in December 2016 after a long battle with cancer.
- “Craig Sager’s amazing attitude was truly inspirational. He was a champion during his battle, fighting every day with grace and humor. I have great respect for Craig, Stacy and the Sager family so it’s humbling to be the first recipient of the Sager Strong Award,” Williams said in a statement.
- Williams said, “In our case, my children and I couldn’t have made it through the tough times without the grace of God and the wonderful support we received from family and friends. For all of those who prayed for us, everyone who provided us with hope, love and support, it’s impossible to thank each of you enough. We are forever grateful.”
- The National Basketball Association is the major men’s professional basketball league in North America, and is widely considered to be the premier men’s professional basketball league in the world.
- Number of teams: 30
- Commissioner: Adam Silver
- Headquarters: New York City, New York, United States
- Subsidiaries: WNBA, Eastern Conference, Western Conference
- Tallest player: Gheorghe Mureșan
Atlanta Rapper Grip Plyaz Dies from Cancer
- Atlanta rapper the Grip Plyaz has died after fight the cancer from more than a year today, it is said by the report.
- A local staple with the nickname “King of Ratchet”, Plyaz launched a GoFundMe last year opening up about his illness. Throughout the last year of his life, Plyaz frequently updated fans on Facebook about his treatments, often maintaining a dark sense of humor.
- Plyaz was best remembered for his 2012 mixtape Purp, Wind & Fire, but was still releasing music until this year. His last appearance was on Pregnant Boy’s ‘Fun House’ from the new season of Silicon Valley.
- Atlanta is the capital of the U.S. state of Georgia
- It played an important part in both the Civil War and the 1960s Civil Rights Movement
- Atlanta History Center chronicles the city’s past, and the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site is dedicated to the African-American leader’s life and times
- Downtown, Centennial Olympic Park, built for the 1996 Olympics, encompasses the massive Georgia Aquarium
10 June 1955: Prakash Padukone, Indian badminton star, was born
- Prakash Padukone, was one of the India’s best-known badminton players, he was born on 10 June 1955 in Bangalore city. He did not think about the rising his rank of World number one, he became the All-England champion in 1980, thus putting Indian badminton on the world map.
- At the age of 15 he won his first National Men’s singles. He went on to win the Nationals for nine successive years from 1971-1979.
- In 1972, he won the Arjuna award.
- In 1978 Padukone won the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games held in Canada.