India Hosting 10 Asean Leaders on Republic Day 2018
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday has announced the Republic Day celebration in 2018 would be “remembered through the ages” because the government for the first time in India’s history has been going to host leaders of 10 Asean countries as chief guests on January 26.
- “On January 26, the arrival of great leaders of 10 nations of the world as a unit is a matter of pride for all Indians. January 26 is a historic festival for all Indians but “January 26, 2018, will especially be remembered through the ages” Modi said in this year’s last edition of his monthly radio programme “Mann ki Baat”.
- “The Republic Day will be celebrated with leaders of all 10 (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) Asean countries coming to India as chief guests. This time, not one but 10 chief guests would grace the Republic Day. This is unprecedented in India’s history,” the Prime Minister said.
- He said. “Cleanliness Survey 2018, the largest in the world, will be conducted from January 4, 2018 to March 10, 2018 to evaluate achievements in cleanliness level of our urban areas. This survey will cover a population of more than 40 crores in more than four thousand cities.”
- “During this survey, the matters to be surveyed include freedom from defecation in the open in cities, collection of garbage, transport facilities to lift garbage, processing of garbage using scientific methods, efforts to usher in behavioural changes, innovative steps taken for capacity building to maintain cleanliness and public participation in this campaign,” he added.
- Explaining the mechanism that will be adopted, Modi said, “Separate teams will go to cities for inspection. They will talk to the people there and gather their reactions. They will analyse the use of the Cleanliness App and also about bringing reforms and improvements in various kinds of service centres. It will also be observed whether the cities have created a system wherein cleanliness of cities will became public habit, or the city’s habit for that matter.”
Vikas Samiksha Yatra: Nitish Kumar Lays Foundation for Rs 700 crore Projects
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Mondy has laid foundation stones for more than 100 projects worth Rs 700 crore in Nalanda district as part of his statewide “Vikas Samiksha Yatra”.
- “At Chamera village in Ekangarsarai block, the Kumar dedicated to the public 132 projects worth Rs 97.63 crore in addition to the 114, worth Rs 698.65 crore, for which foundation stones were laid,” an official release said.
- Kumar also said, “Agriculture in the state was likely to receive a major boost as part of his government’s “third roadmap” for the period 2017-22 which was recently launched by President Ramnath Kovind.”
- He has also said to the people for whole-heartedly participate in a human chain, to be formed on January 21 next year, as a message against dowry and child marriage, exactly a year after a similar exercise was undertaken to galvanize public support in favor of prohibition.
Arunachal declared open defecation-free State
- Arunachal Pradesh on Sunday has ranked in the second State in the Northeast, after Sikkim, to be declared Open Defecation Free.
- “The three remaining districts – Upper Subansiri, Siang and Changlang — were declared Open Defecation Free (ODF) officially on Sunday,” an official release said.
- “I am personally overwhelmed to find people participating in construction of toilets even in remote villages along the international borders like Vijaynagar, Taksing, Pipsorang despite communication bottlenecks requiring strenuous trekking for days together carrying construction materials along with ration on head load,” Chief Minister Pema Khandu said while crediting the accomplishment to the people.
- “Today we attain freedom from open defecation. We have finally won the battle and liberated ourselves from the open defecation menace. The tiring and rigorous fight against open defecation was a herculean task but not impossible,” State Public Health Engineering & Water Supply Minister Bamang Felix said.
Cryptocurrencies are a Ponzi scheme, warns FinMin
- The government has decided to get partnership with the Reserve Bank of India in cautioning potential customers from investing in crypto-currencies such as Bitcoin, likening them to Ponzi schemes.
- “There has been a phenomenal increase in recent times in the price of virtual ‘currencies’ (VCs) including Bitcoin, in India and globally,” the Finance Ministry said in a statement on Friday. “VCs don’t have any intrinsic value and are not backed by any kind of assets. The price of Bitcoin and other VCs therefore is entirely a matter of mere speculation resulting in spurt and volatility in their prices.”
- “There is a real and heightened risk of investment bubble of the type seen in ponzi schemes which can result in sudden and prolonged crash exposing investors, especially retail consumers losing their hard-earned money,” the statement added. “Consumers need to be alert and extremely cautious as to avoid getting trapped in such Ponzi schemes.”
- “As transactions of VCs are encrypted they are also likely being used to carry out illegal/subversive activities, such as, terror-funding, smuggling, drug trafficking and other money-laundering acts,” the statement said.
Nepal Bans Solo Climbing on Mount Everest
- Nepal has banned the climbers who climbs alon from scaling its mountains, including Mount Everest, this is because to reduce accidents, an official said Saturday.
- The cabinet on Thursday has said the amount of the Himalayan nation’s mountaineering regulations, banning solo climbers from its mountains — one of a string of measures being flagged ahead of the 2018 spring climbing season.
- “The changes have barred solo expeditions, which were allowed before,” Maheshwor Neupane, secretary at the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, told AFP.
- “If the cabinet passes, this is #Discrimination against disable people, breaking #HumanRights,” Magar said in a Facebook post after the decision was proposed early this month.
BANKING AND FINANCE
Bank of India gets Rs. 2,257 cr From Govt
- Public sector lender Bank of India on Saturday has announced that it has received a capital infusion Rs 2,257 crore from the government.
- “The bank has on December 29 received an infusion of Rs 2,257 crore from Government of India in form of common equity tier-1 capital, which is being kept as share application money and would be alloted after due procedure/conditions for allotment,” the bank said in a regulatory filing to the BSE.
- On October 24, the government had given the approval for the recapitalisation plan for strengthening NPA-hit state-run banks to a tune of Rs 2.11 lakh crore.
- “The infusion is in terms of the Ministry of Finance, Department of Financial Services, Government of India,” the BSE filing added.
- Bank of India is commercial bank with headquarters at Bandra Kurla complex, Mumbai
- Founded in 1906, it has been government-owned since nationalisation in 1969
- Customer service: 1800 22 0229
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Dinabandhu Mohapatra (5 May 2017–)
- Subsidiaries: Bank Of India Indonesia Tbk PT
GAIL Awards Major Contracts for Pradhan Mantri Urja Ganga
- State-run gas utility GAIL India on Monday has announced that it has placed orders for another 400-km of pipeline of the ambitious Pradhan Mantri Urja Ganga natural gas pipeline project that will take the fuel to eastern India
- With these awards, pipe supply orders for 2,100 km of the Jagdishpur-Haldia & Bokaro-Dhamra Natural Gas Pipeline (JHBDPL) project have been placed. In addition, 1,700 km of line laying orders have been placed.
- The project, it said, “Will usher Industrial development in East India by supplying environmentally clean natural gas to fertilizer and power plant, refineries, steel plants and other industries.”
- GAIL said, “City gas network, laying activity in Varanasi and Bhubaneswar, has already commenced and the same in other cities like Patna, Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Cuttack and Kolkata will start by next month.”
Allahabad Bank Ties up With NeSL
- Allahabad Bank on Monday has signed the agreement with state-run National e-Governance Services Limited (NeSL) for utilizing the latter’s Information Utility Services envisaged under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- “MD and CEO of Allahabad Bank Usha Ananthasubramanian stressed on the need for Information Utility Services in the present context when most banks are reeling under NPA pressure, especially in large value accounts, and looking for quick resolutions,” the bank said in a statement.
- “She emphasized the role it can play in minimizing the resolution period in NCLT referred cases. Also, in the future, the services can be utilized by the banks in paperless documentation process,” she added.
- S Ramann, MD & CEO, NeSL, said, “The Information Utility Services would serve as a storehouse of authenticated financial information which can be accessed by any concerned party to specific accounts as well as by Resolution Professionals and NCLT.”
Vidarbha Defeats Delhi to win Ranji Trophy for the First
- Quite fittingly, Wasim Jaffer put the final changes in the historic win of the Vidarbha’s tryst with destiny in this year’s Ranji Trophy.
- The former India and Mumbai opener, playing as a professional for Vidarbha, slipped into the background even as the younger members of the team were part of the joyous scenes here.
- “No body thought I could be part of a Ranji Trophy winning team one more time,” said the genial 39-year old with record 17,824 runs in first-class cricket.
- “It is very pleasing to be part of this unit. I don’t know how many more years I have as a cricketer. Honestly, I don’t know anything other than playing cricket. I am enjoying it thoroughly. This campaign could not have ended in a better way.”
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
TimeShahzar Rizvi Wins Men’s 10m Air Pistol Gold
- Meerut’s Shahzar Rizvi has get the end with the best end of the winning the mens 10m air pistol gold at the 61st National Shooting Championship, which concluded here today.
- Representing the Air Force, Shahzar won with a new finals national record score of 241.7, leaving the Armys Yashwant Singh in silver medal position with 237.7. Yashwants teammate Omprakash Mitherwal won bronze, shooting 218.0 in the finals.
- In the starting of the year Shahzar won gold at the Commonwealth Shooting Championships and team gold at the 10th Asian Airgun Championship in Japan as well.
- In the Nationals, he beat a 568 strong field, including the likes of Jitu Rai, who finished sixth in the final. Jitu however won the team event for his third gold of the tournament. His teammates were Mitherwal and Dharmendra Singh.