Bilateral Annual Haj 2018 Agreement between India and Saudi Arabia Signed
- UnionMinister for Minority Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on Monday has announced that the Saudi Arabia has given the green signal for Indias decision to revive the option of sending Haj pilgrims through sea route also and officials from both the countries will discuss on all the necessary formalities and technicalities so that Haj pilgrimage through sea route can be started in the coming years.
- Shri Naqvi said that for the first time Muslim women from India will go to Haj without Mehram” (male companion). Separate accommodation and transport has been arranged for these women Haj pilgrims in Saudi Arabia and women Haj Assistant” will be deployed for their assistance.
- “We are confident that under the dynamic and visionary leadership of His Excellency Saudi Arabia King Salman bin Abdul Aziz al Saud, the excellent relationship between India and Saudi Arabia will be further strengthened and reach new heights”, he said
- “We are tied together with strong civilizational, cultural, economic and political links. The regular visits by the leaders and senior-level officials of the two nations have further strengthened the relationship between the two nations”, the Minister stated. The visit of the Prime Minister,ShriNarendraModi, to Saudi Arabia during April 2016has added new dimensions to our vibrant relationship”, he added.
Indian Navy Signs MoU with Cochin Port Trust
- The Indian Navy and Cochin Port Trust (CPT) has signed one of the Memorandum of Understanding for utilising the Port’s berthing facility at Mattancherry wharf for Naval ships.
- “In view of the national interest involved, Cochin Port examined the request and decided that Cochin Port’s oldest wharf, Mattacherry Wharf can be spared, since those are not suitable any longer for berthing of big cargo ships due to limitation of draft and displacement”, a CPT release said.
- “This is a landmark decision in the history of Cochin Port and would go a long way in the combined efforts of the Port and Navy for ensuring the safety of the nation,” it added.
- “The MoU was signed yesterday on behalf of Cochin Port Trust by Goutam Gupta, Traffic Manager and Commodore Deepak Kumar, Chief Staff Officer (Ops), Southern Naval Command for Indian Navy,” a Port Trust release said here today.
- The Indian Navy is the naval branch of the Indian Armed Forces
- The President of India is the Supreme Commander of the Indian Navy
- The Chief of Naval Staff, a four-star Admiral, commands the navy
- Motto: शं नो वरुणः (Sanskrit); Sham No Varunaḥ (IAST); May the Lord of the Water be auspicious unto us (English)
- Garrison/HQ: Integrated Headquarters, Ministry of Defence (Navy)
- Founded: 5 September 1612
- Fighter: Mikoyan MiG-29K
- Size: 67,228
- Engagements: World War II, World War I,
Haryana Becomes First State to Launch High-Risk Pregnancy Portal
- Haryana has comes in the first state in the country to launch high-risk pregnancy (HRP) portal. This portal has been not only comes in the high-risk pregnancy cases up to the grass-roots level but also ensures their timely referral to the civil hospitals for further management and delivery by specialists.
- This initiative will definitely increase the pace of decline in maternal mortality rate (MMR), infant mortality rate (IMR) and still birth incidence as morbidity and mortality is quite high in high risk pregnant cases, if not managed timely,” Vij said.
- Principal Secretary of health department Amit Jha said, “This innovative web application has been designed to track every high risk pregnant woman till 42 days after delivery, so that she receives adequate treatment during the ante-natal period for healthy outcome of pregnancy.”
- “Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and NITI Aayog have acknowledged the portal as a good practice to be implemented at the conference held under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Delhi,” she added.
- She said, “Haryana had also implemented birth companion strategy under which one female attendant would be allowed during delivery in the labour room”. “The presence of a female birth companion during delivery is a step towards improving the quality of care in labour rooms for improving the maternal and neo-natal outcome and for respectful maternity care,” she added.
India’s Second FTII to be set up in Arunachal Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh has been going to get it first of the Film and Television Institute, that is going to install by the union government as part of tapping the potential of the North Eastern region, Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh said today.
- “We are coming out with the first ever film and television institute in Arunachal Pradesh after Pune”, Singh, also Minister of State for Prime Minister’s Office and Development of the North Eastern region, said.
- Singh said, “He learnt that only two film shootings had taken place in Arunachal Pradesh in the last few decades as the requisite infrastructure for film shootings and storing the equipment was not there in that state.”
- “We did not have Bollywood or Tollywood at that time. We had (famous film studios) AVM, Gemini, L V Prasad dominating Bombay. All our leading film actors and actresses were from from the South”, he said.
- “Because entertainment without social message would be a hollow entertainment”, he said.
BANKING AND FINANCE
Nabard plans to almost double balancesheet to Rs 7 trillion in 5 years
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) has been seems as the double of the balance sheet to Rs 7 trillion over the next five year from Rs 3.9 trillion now.
- “Our asset size has grown from Rs 2 trillion a few years ago to Rs 3.9 trillion as of December 2017 and it will touch Rs 4 trillion by this March. We are targeting it take it to Rs 7 trillion in the next five years and the recent amendment to the Nabard Bill will help us in achieve this target,” Bhanwala told reporters here today.
- He said, “They would deploy the money raised in various agriculture projects such as irrigation, development of dairy infrastructure and market infrastructure and rural housing.”
- “There are various agriculture projects that require massive investments. Nabard has been identified to provide upfront money. There was a delay as every year some money used to be allocated in the Budget for such projects, but then government decided to give Nabard upfront money to be invested in these areas,” he said.
- “The increase in paid-up capital will help Nabard maintain its ratings and to also repose market confidence in it, which will in turn support in raising money at the lowest rates,” Bhanwala said.
Paytm Payments Bank customers can now avail high-return fixed deposits
- Digital payments platform Paytm Payments Bank on Monday has said that it has did the partnership with IndusIndBSE 0.24 % Bank to introduce a first-of-its kind facility to create a fixed deposit when the balance of a customer’s account exceeds Rs one lakh, at the end of the day.
- “We are confident our customers would appreciate our efforts to simplify investments while providing assured returns,” said MD and CEO, Paytm Payments Bank, Renu Satti.
- The bank recently also unveiled ‘Paytm Ka ATM’ outlets that allow customers to open saving accounts and deposit/withdraw money. These specially branded outlets will play a key role in bringing banking access to smaller cities and towns by ensuring customers find it easy to locate an access point near them.
- Paytm is an Indian e-payments and e-commerce brand based out of Delhi NCR, India
- Launched in August 2010, it is a consumer brand of parent company One97 Communications
- The name is an acronym for “Payment Through Mobile”
- Customer service: 12038883888
- Founder: Vijay Shekhar Sharma
- Founded: 2010
- CEO: Vijay Shekhar Sharma (Dec 2010–)
- Headquarters: Noida
- Parent organization: One97 Communications
Science and Technology
Vijay Keshav Gokhale appointed as Foreign Secretary of India
- Senior diplomat Vijay Keshav Gokhale was on Monday has appointed for the foreign secretary for a two-year fixed term, succeeding S. Jaishankar who completes his tenure on 28 January, according to an official order.
- Gokhale, is the year 1981 batch officer of the Indian Foreign Service (IFS), was India’s envoy to China. He is at present secretary (economic relations) in the ministry of external affairs.
- The appointments committee of the cabinet has given the approval for the Gokhale’s appointment to the post, said the order issued by the department of personnel and training. Jaishankar was appointed foreign secretary on 29 January 2015, for two years. He was given a one-year extension in January last year.
Vidarbha clinch maiden Ranji Trophy title
- Vidarbha has got the win in the maiden Ranji Trophy cricket title crushing Delhi by nine wickets on the fourth and penultimate day of their final at the Holkar Stadium here on Monday.
- Vidarbha has showed up the on of the big affort that is by the inning of the 547, taking a commanding lead of 252 runs before bowling out Delhi for 280 in their second innings, getting a target of merely 29 runs.
- Maiden finalists Vidarbha lost only one wicket and took only five overs to chase down the target, which gave them their first Ranji Trophy, title.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Shahzar Rizvi Wins Men’s 10m Air Pistol Gold
- Shooter Shahzar Rizvi has ended his year 2017 by winning the Men’s 10m Air Pistol Gold at the 61st National Shooting Championship (NSCC), at the Karni Singh Shooting Range here on Sunday.
- Representing the Air Force, Shahzar won with a new finals national record score of 241.7, leaving Army’s Yashwant Singh in silver medal position with a score of 237.7. Yashwant’s teammate Omprakash Mitherwal won bronze, securing 218.0 in the finals.
- Earlier this year, the 23-year-old Meerut shooter won gold medals at the Commonwealth Shooting Championships and at the 10th Asian Airgun Championship in Japan as well.
- In NSCC, he beat a 568-strong field contingent, including the likes of Jitu Rai, who finished sixth in the final. Jitu, however, won the team event for his third gold of the tournament. His teammates were Mitherwal and Dharmendra Singh.