Goa CM to unveil India’s first mobile food testing lab
- India’s ‘first’ mobile food testing laboratory, that will facilitates the one of the on-the-spot food safety tests to be conducted in Goa, would be launched by Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Sunday.
- “This is the first ever ‘Food Safety on Wheel’ mobile laboratory in the country. The chief minister will officially unveil it on Sunday,” state Food and Drugs Administration minister Vishwajit Rane told reporters here yesterday.
- The vehicle is equipped to conduct on-the-spot tests to check the food quality. It will also check the hygiene level of water, he said adding that the results can be received within 15 minutes.
- “The mobile lab will do away with need to get the food samples to the FDA laboratory near Panaji for tests. It will cut the delays,” he said. “As the time would be reduced, action can be initiated immediately, if the food samples are found unsatisfactory,” the minister said. –
India declared free from Trachoma
- The achievement of the, Union Health and Family Welfare Minister J.P. Nadda on Friday has announced that the India free of Infective Trachoma, which has been a leading cause of infectious blindness among children.
- At the time of the announcement, senior Health Ministry officials and faculty from Opthalmology Department of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), the minister said that the survey findings indicate that the active trachoma infection has been eliminated among children in all the survey districts with overall prevalence of only 0.7 per cent.
- “This is much below the elimination criteria of infective trachoma as defined by the WHO. The survey findings indicate that the active trachoma infection has been eliminated among children in all the survey districts with overall prevalence of only 0.7 per cent,” said Nadda, who also launched the National Trachoma Survey Report (2014-17).
- “We have met the goal of trachoma elimination as specified by the WHO under its GET2020 program. This has been possible due to decades of inter-sectoral interventions and efforts that included provision of antibiotic eye drops, personal hygiene, availability of safe water, improved environmental sanitation, availability of surgical facilities for chronic trachoma, and a general improvement in the socio economic status in the country,” said Nadda.
Kacheguda Becomes India’s ‘First’ Energy-Efficient Railway Station
- Kacheguda has get the earning of the first energy-efficient ‘A1 Category’ railway station in the country, the South Central Railway (SCR) said.
- “Kacheguda railway station in Hyderabad division of the SCR, has achieved 100 per cent energy efficiency by replacing 1,312 conventional lights with light-emitting diode (LED) lighting, 370 ceiling fans with Brushless DC Electrical (BLDC) motors energy-efficient fans and 12 air conditioners with energy efficient inverter type ACs,” the SCR statement said.
- “With these initiatives, it will save about 1.76 lakh units and Rs. 14.08 lakh per annum with reduction of the connected load by 46.18 kW for Railways,” it said. SCR general manager, Vinod Kumar Yadav, complimented divisional railway manager of Hyderabad division, Arun Kumar Jain, on the achievement.
- The statement added that Kacheguda is a “historic and the most beautiful” railway station building on SCR and one of the landmarks of Hyderabad city.
Second vice president of Afghanistan arrives in India today for 5 day visit
- Afghanistan’s second vice president Mohammad Sarwar Danish who has been going for the five-day visit to India starting tomorrow, the external affairs ministry said today.
- Danish will meet vice-president M Venkaiah Naidu on December 12. During his visit, Danish will go to Mumbai to attend an international conference on ‘Harmony and Memorial of Mother Teresa’.
- He is also going to meet to the Maharashtra Governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao.
Facebook Co-founder Saverin becomes richest man in Singapore
- Billionaire Eduardo Saverin, the Facebook co-founder, has become the Singapore resident after renouncing his U.S. citizenship in 2012, is now the island-nation’s richest person.
- With an estimated net worth of $10.1 billion, Saverin, 35, edged past property siblings Robert & Philip Ng, who have occupied the top spot as Singapore’s richest since 2010 and have an estimated fortune of $10 billion.
- A Singapore resident since 2012 when he gave up his U.S. citizenship, Saverin has enjoyed a boost to his wealth from rising shares of Facebook, in which he continues to hold a minority stake.
- Since Forbes Asia’s compilation of Singapore’s 50 Richest in August, when the Brazilian-born entrepreneur was ranked at No.2 with $9.3 billion, Facebook’s stock is up by close to 13%.
Diddy Tops Forbes Highest Paid Musicians of 2017 List
- “I’m the average person,” Diddy told Forbes, rather hilariously, earlier this year. While he might have started out that way — “I started looking at business at the age of 12, delivering newspapers to working in gas station bathrooms, or even doing things like being a background dancer or a stylist,” he continued — he’s anything but average today, as his status at the top of Forbes’ annual world’s highest-paid musician list shows. In the top 5, Diddy (who raked in $130 million) is followed by Beyonce, Drake, The Weeknd and Coldplay.
- Diddy ($130 M)
- (Cash cows: Bad Boy Family Reunion Tour, Ciroc vodka deal, estimated $70 million sale of one-third of Sean John fashion line)
- Beyoncé ($105 M)
- (Cash cow: Formation tour)
- Drake ($94 M)
- (Cash cows: The world’s most-streamed artist, Boy Meets World tour, deals with Apple, Sprite and Nike)
- The Weeknd ($92 M)
- (Cash cows: 5.5 billion streams in two years, touring)
- Coldplay ($88 M)
- (Cash cow: Head Full of Dreams tour)
- Guns N’ Roses ($84 M)
- (Cash cow: Not in This Lifetime tour)
- Justin Bieber ($83.5 M)
- (Cash cows: One billion-plus streams, Purpose tour, Calvin Klein endorsement)
- Bruce Springsteen ($75 M)
- (Cash cows: The River tour, “Born to Run” memoir)
- Adele ($69 M)
- (Cash cow: “25” album and tour)
- Metallica ($66.5 M)
- (Cash cows: WorldWired tour, “Hardwired… To Self-Destruct” album)
- Garth Brooks ($60 M, tie)
- (Cash cows: Touring, “The Anthology Part 1” book and boxed set)
- Elton John ($60 M, tie)
- (Cash cow: Touring, Las Vegas residency)
- Paul McCartney ($54 M, tie)
- (Cash cows: Touring, Beatles and solo catalogs)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers ($54 M, tie)
- (Cash cows: Touring, “Getaway” album)
- Jimmy Buffett ($50.5 M)
- (Cash cows: Margaritaville franchises, including hotels, restaurants, merch)
- Calvin Harris ($48.5 M)
- (Cash cows: Touring, “Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1” album)
- Taylor Swift ($44 M)
- (Cash cows: Endorsements, catalog)
- Kenny Chesney ($42.5 M)
- (Cash cows: Touring, “Cosmic Hallelujah” album, Corona and Apple deals)
- Luke Bryan ($42 M)
- (Cash cows: Touring, Outdoor Channel reality show Buck Commander, Cabela’s and Miller Lite endorsements)
- Celine Dion ($42 M)
- (Cash cows: Touring, Las Vegas residency)
- Jay-Z ($42 M)
- (Cash cows: $200 million Live Nation deal)
- Bruno Mars ($39 M)
- (Cash cow: Touring, “24K Magic” album)
- Tiësto ($39 M)
- (Cash cow: Touring)
- The Chainsmokers ($38 M)
- (Cash cows: Touring, “Memories… Do Not Open” album, streaming)
- Jennifer Lopez ($38 M)
- (Cash cows: Las Vegas residency, “World of Dance” TV show)
BANKING AND FINANCE
Wassenaar Arrangement admits India as its 42nd Member
- In the term of the development, elite export control regime Wassenaar Arrangement (WA) on Thursday decided to admit India as its new member, which is expected to raise New Delhi’s stature in the field of non-proliferation besides helping it acquire critical technologies.
- “Wassenaar Arrangement participating states reviewed the progress of a number of current membership applications and agreed at the plenary meeting to admit India which will become the Arrangement’s 42nd participating state as soon as the necessary procedural arrangements for joining the WA are completed,” the grouping said in a statement.
- French Ambassador to India Alexandre Ziegler congratulated India on “joining” the Wassenaar Arrangement. “One more recognition, after MTCR, of the growing role India plays in today’s world,” he said.
- “Existing controls were further clarified regarding ground stations for spacecraft, submarine diesel engines, technology related to intrusion software, software for testing gas turbine engines, analogue-to-digital converters, non- volatile memories and information security,” the grouping said in the statement at the end of the two-day meeting.
UNESCO released Global Education Monitoring Report 2017-18
- In 2017, the next report has been outed Global Education Monitoring (GEM) Report series continues its assessment of progress towards the Sustainable Development Goal on education (SDG4) and its 10 targets, as well as other related education targets in the SDG agenda.
- It also investigates accountability in education, analyzing how all relevant stakeholders can provide education more effectively, efficiently and equitably. By this report different accountability mechanisms that are used to hold governments, schools, teachers, parents, the international community, and the private sector accountable for inclusive, equitable and quality education.
- By analysing which policies make accountability work or fail, and which external factors impact on their success, the 2017/8 GEM Report concludes with concrete recommendations that will help build stronger education systems.
Science and Technology
UAE launches its first astronaut programme
- Dubai’s ruler on Wednesday has announced the United Arab Emirates’ first space program aimed at sending four Emirati astronauts to the International Space Station within five years.
- “On this day, a new chapter in our history begins with the launch of the first UAE Astronaut Program,” within the next five years, Sheikh Mohamd bin Rashed al-Maktoum, the UAE’s vice president and prime minister, said in a statement.
- “The people of the UAE will break barriers,” he said. The oil-rich Persian Gulf nation has already announced ambitious plans to become the first Arab country to send an unmanned probe to orbit Mars by 2021, naming it “Hope.”
- The astronaut program would make it one of only a handful of states in the Middle East to have sent a person into space as it looks to make good on a pledge “to become global leader in space exploration over the next 50 years.”
Sarvesh Tiwari appointed as President Para Sports Foundation
- On the occasion of International Day of Persons with Disabilities, a renowned communication expert, Sarvesh Kumar Tiwari, has been appointed as the President of Para-Sports Foundation (PSF), India. This event has been announced on the National Award for Divyangjan 2017 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- Commenting on the appointment Pradeep Raj, General Secretary, Para Sports Foundation said: “We are glad at the appointment of Sarvesh Tiwari ji and I am sure he will take Para Sports Foundation to newer heights.”
- Expressing his gratitude over appointment the newly appointed President of Para-Sports Foundation Sarvesh Tiwari said, “I am thankful to Para Sports Foundation for believing in me and giving me this opportunity. It’s an absolute honor to work towards such a noble cause. I hope that our combined efforts will make the society more inclusive and empower differently – abled by creating better opportunities for them.”
- A communication expert, he also runs an integrated communication consultancy firm, PR Professionals headquartered in Gurgaon. PR Professionals is one of the fastest growing communication consultancy firms in India with offices pan India.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Shah Rukh Khan named top Indian actor of 2017 by IMDb
- There has been the Shah Rukh Khan’s position has been getting lower as the market, IMDb has declared him the number one star of the Indian cinema in 2017. There has been the two release of him, Raees and Jab Harry Met Sejal, King Khan ruled the IMDb (Internet Movie Data Base) STAR Meter week after week.
- IMDb based its list of top 10 stars of 2017 in Hindi film industry on their StarMeter stats and pageviews, and took into consideration which actor stayed at the top and for how long.
- He was closely followed by Aamir Khan who was seen in Secret Superstar and whose Dangal was a breakout hit in China after winning the box office in India in 2016. He had a guest appearance in Secret Superstar and also produced the movie.
Human Rights Day
- Human Rights Day has been celebrated every year on 10 December every year.
- This date has been selected to give the honor to the United Nations General Assembly’s adoption and proclamation, on 10 December in the year 1948, of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), the first global enunciation of human rights and one of the first major achievements of the new United Nations.
- The formal establishment of Human Rights Day occurred at the 317th Plenary Meeting of the General Assembly on 4 December 1950, when the General Assembly declared resolution 423(V), inviting all member states and any other interested organizations to celebrate the day as they saw fit.