India allows 1,300 Buddhists from Myanmar’s Rakhine state to enter Mizoram
- In the term of the contradiction policy, the Indian government has allowed over 1,300 tribal Buddhist refugees from Myanmar’s Rakhine region to enter Mizoram. The refugee has been out of their home because of the war has been going between the Myanmarese Army and the Arakan Army, made up of Buddhist insurgents.
- According to sources in the Mizoram government, “The administration is struggling hard to bring down the rising tensions among the refugees and the residents of Laitlang, Dumzautlang, Hmawngbuchhuah and Zochachhuah villages.”
- “It’s been some six days since these refugees have arrived on Mizoram territory. They currently are in four villages of the Lawngtlai district and are put up at shelter homes, Buddhist homes, temples and many other places,” T. Arun, Deputy Commissioner of Lawngtlai, told IANS over the phone.
- “We basically have two rules — one relating to national security and other related to humanitarian assistance. Under the humanitarian rules we are providing food as we do not want any starvation deaths. We also have to guard against the outbreak of diseases,” said Arun.
- “We won’t call it a security threat at this juncture. They were alllowed into Indian territory due to the ongoing fighting in Myanmar. We are taking care of it and police forces are there. However, we are making sure there won’t be any problem for the villagers due to the refugees. They have been confined to the four villages,” Director General of Police Thianghlima Pachuau told IANS over the phone.
Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli becomes 23rd district to be included in National Capital Region
- Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli district was on Monday has been listed in the national capital region that has the total number of districts in the NCR to 23, according to an official statement.
- Cities that are under the NCR get funds at “attractive” interest rates from the National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB) for infrastructure development.
- “The Board considered the proposal of the Uttar Pradesh government for inclusion of Shamli district in the NCR and stated that with addition to the NCR, the provisions of the NCRPB Act will be applicable,” the statement read.
- “The forests should be identified as per the order of the Supreme Court and the ‘Aravallis’ are to be delineated in the entire NCR, as per the earlier decisions of the Board,” it read.
Saudi Arabia, Qatar FMs attend round-table talks ahead of regional Gulf summit
- The Foreign Ministers of Saudi Arabia and Qatar has taken the meeting of the Gulf summit, in their first such encounter since Riyadh cut all ties with Doha.
- Oman’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Yussef bin Alawi sat between Qatar’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani and his Saudi counterpart Adel al-Jubeir. This meeting has been set for the set of the agenda of the GCC annual summit in Kuwait City today.
- Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, all Gulf Cooperation Council members, as well as Egypt on June 5 severed all political and economic relations with tiny gas-rich Qatar.
- They accused Qatar of backing extremist groups, a charge it denied. There have been no contacts between the two sides since then.
UAE to open new consular offices in India
- In the term of the bilateral joint with the India, the United Arab Emirates will open several new consular centres in India and invest $75 billion of its sovereign wealth fund in the country, its envoy said on Tuesday.
- “Under the present circumstances, if people from Chandigarh, Chennai and Hyderabad want a visa to the UAE, they have to travel to either Mumbai or Delhi or Kerala. So to prevent hardship for the people, we are soon going to open our consular and visa centres in these cities,” said Dr Ahmed Albanna, ambassador of UAE told the media here. Expansion of consular services of UAE will facilitates the Indians in the country who constitute one of the largest overseas Indian populations.
- “We denounce extremism, terrorism, and work closely with other countries to counter-attack organisations and individuals that have been listed or proscribed,” he said highlighting cooperation with India on that front.
- “$ 1 billion has already been invested in India,” said Dr Albanna, explaining that the fund will be utilised for infrastructure projects in India. The UAE sovereign wealth fund, known as Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA), has been a major issue that both sides have been trying to harness.
- The United Arab Emirates is an Arabian Peninsula nation settled mainly along the Persian (Arabian) Gulf
- The country is a federation of 7 emirates
- Abu Dhabi, the island capital, is home to Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, with crystal chandeliers and room for 40,000 worshipers
- Dubai is the site of ultramodern Burj Khalifa tower, enormous shopping centers and extravagant entertainment attractions
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- Dialing code: +971
- Currency: United Arab Emirates dirham
- Ethnic groups: 27.15% Indian; 12.53% Pakistani; 11.32% Emirati; 7.31% Bangladeshi; 3.13% Sri Lankan; 38.56% others
BANKING AND FINANCE
Fitch cuts full-year growth forecast to 6.7%
- The term India’s GDP growth as a “rebound that was weaker than expected”, Fitch Ratings has get the decreases the growth of the fiscal year ended March 31, 2018, to 6.7 per cent from 6.9 per cent.
- According to the agency, “Growth has repeatedly been disappointing in recent quarters, although this has partly reflected one-off factors, including the demonetisation programme of November 2016, and disruptions related to the implementation of GST in July 2017.”
- “First, a two-year large bank recapitalisation plan [worth ₹2.1 lakh crore or 1.4 per cent of GDP] for State banks was announced. The details are not clear yet, but the package is likely to help address the capital shortages that have hindered the banks’ lending capacity. “Second, the government unveiled a substantial road construction plan [worth ₹6.9 lakh crore, or 4.5 per cent of the GDP, over a five-year horizon]. This may encourage the investment growth outlook,” the agency said.
- “The rupee has also appreciated quite sharply against the dollar since the beginning of this year despite a narrowing interest rate differential between the US Fed policy rate and the Reserve Bank of India’s. These developments give headroom for the RBI to keep interest rates quite low in order to help lift the economy,” said the agency.
Paytm rolls out FASTag across India
- Paytm Payments Bank has been get in the term of the get for the Paytm FASTag across the India, with the government mandating the use of FASTag on every new vehicle sold from December 1.
- “We are currently working with leading car and commercial vehicle manufacturers and dealers, including Maruti, Hyundai, Tata, Mercedes, Renault, BMW, Volkswagen, Volvo, among others, to make Paytm FASTag available for customers purchasing new vehicles across India. If you already own a vehicle, you can buy FASTag online on Paytm app. Paytm FASTag customers will get 7.5% cashback on every toll transaction,” said Paytm in a statement.
- Renu Satti, MD & CEO — Paytm Payments Bank, said: “Cash payments at toll plazas result in precious man hours and fuel being unnecessarily spent, as attendants and motorists are left grappling with the hassles of dealing in exact change. The Paytm FASTag will facilitate non-stop movement of vehicles through toll plazas and bring the benefits of cashless payments to every toll in India. Besides offering convenience to commuters, this will also improve transparency and overall efficiency of the country’s toll network.”
- Paytm is an Indian electronic payment and e-commerce brand based out of Delhi NCR, India
- Launched in August 2010, it is a consumer brand of parent company One97 Communications
- The name is an acronym for “Payment Through Mobile
- Customer service: 12038883888
- Founder: Vijay Shekhar Sharma
- Founded: 2010
- CEO: Vijay Shekhar Sharma (Dec 2010–)
- Headquarters: Noida
- Parent organization: One97 Communications
Ajay Kumar Reddy to lead Indian team at ODI World Cup for the Blind
- Ajay Kumar Reddy of Andhra Pradesh has been going to lead the 17-member Indian squad at the 5th ODI World Cup Cricket Tournament for the Blind that is going to organise in January.
- The squad was today announced by Samarthanam and the Cricket Association for the Blind in India (CABI). The World Cup has been going to organise in the Pakistan and Dubai from January 7 to 21.
- Apart from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Australia and South Africa will also play in the tournament, a media release issued here said today.
- Prior to selecting the World Cup squad, zonal and national tournaments were conducted in different parts of the country from October 8 to November 3.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Indian-American senator Kamala Harris tops global thinkers list
- Indian-American California senator Kamala Harris has get in the top at the one of the famous Foreign Policy magazine’s 2017 list of ‘50 Leading Global Thinkers’ which also features US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley.
- “Her professional bona fides and two decades as a prosecutor, her commitment to social justice (she has made immigrants’ rights and bail reform the focus of her first year in office), and her personal ‘firsts’ make her appealing to voters still smarting from (Hillary) Clinton’s loss and hungry for a charismatic non-white, non-male presidential candidate,” the magazine said.
- “The final comedian to be hired by The Daily Show during Jon Stewart’s tenure as host, Minhaj has since joined an elite cadre of popular news satirists — including Stewart, Trevor Noah, Stephen Colbert, Samantha Bee, and John Oliver — whose joyful embrace of ‘fake news’ often gets at fundamental truths at which the mainstream media can only gesture,” it said.
- “The US foreign policy that Haley has spent just over 10 months defending smacks more of traditional Republican (and, arguably, traditional US) policies more closely in line with Ronald Reagan than with the current president,” it said.