Rajnath Singh releases NCRB Publication Crime in India 2016- Statistics
- Union Home Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh released the ‘Crime in India – 2016’ that is introduced by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), Ministry of Home Affairs here today. In the first of it, for 19 Metropolitan cities (having population above 2 million) also, chapters on “Violent Crimes”,” Crime Against Women”,” Crime Against Children”, “Juveniles in conflict with law”, “Crime Against SC/STs”, “Economic Crimes”,” Cyber Crimes”,” Crime Against Senior Citizens” and “Disposal of Cases by Police and Court” have been included in the report.
- Murder cases decreased by 5.2% in 2015-16, from 32,127 cases in 2015 to 30,450 cases in 2016. Cases under Rioting have decreased by 5% in 2015-16 i.e. 61,974 cases in 2016 as compared to 65,255 cases in the year 2015. Cases under Robbery have decreased by 11.8% in 2015-16. Cases under Dacoity have decreased by 4.5% in 2015-16, i.e. 3,795 cases in 2016 as compared to 3,972 in 2015.
- Cases under ‘Crime Against Women’ have reported a marginal decrease in the year 2016 (3,38,954) compared to the year 2014 (3,39,457), however for 2016, it is a marginal increase compared to 2015 (3,29,243). Cases reported under “Juveniles in Conflict with Law” have also shown a decreasing trend too, in the year 2016, there were 35,849 cases against 38,455 cases in the year 2014, but a increase in comparison to year 2015 (33,433). Atrocities/Crime Against Scheduled Castes have increased by 5.5% in 2016 (40,801) over 2015 (38,670), while Atrocities/Crime Against Scheduled Tribes have increased by 4.7% in 2016 (6,568) over 2015 (6,276), though the Atrocities/Crime Against Scheduled Tribes has decreased in 2016 compared to year 2014 (6,827).
- A total of 48,31,515 cognizable crimes comprising 29,75,711 Indian Penal Code (IPC) crimes and 18,55,804 Special and Local Laws (SLL) crimes were reported in 2016,showing a nominal increase of 2.6 percent over the year 2015 (47,10,676 cases). IPC Crimes have increased marginally by 0.9% (from 29,49,400 in 2015 to 29,75,711 in 2016). For States perspective, Uttar Pradesh accounted for 9.5% of total IPC crime reported in the country followed by Madhya Pradesh (8.9%), Maharashtra (8.8%) and Kerala (8.7). Delhi City accounted for 38.8% of total IPC crime reported in the cities followed by Bengaluru (8.9%) and Mumbai (7.7%).
- The National Crime Records Bureau, abbreviated to NCRB, is an Indian government agency responsible for collecting and analysing crime data as defined by the Indian Penal Code
- Founded: 11 March 1986
- Motto: Empowering Indian Police with Information Technology
- Agency executive: Ish Kumar, Director;
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Parent department: Ministry of Home Affairs
HUA approves construction of over 1 lakh more houses for urban Poor
- The Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry has given the approval for the construction of 1.12 lakh that is most affordable houses for urban poor under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban), an official release said today.
- In this plan there will be the total investment of the Rs 8,105 crore for construction of these houses. The Centre will give the help of the of Rs 1,681 crore for their construction, it said.
- The approval has been permitted in the 28th meeting of the Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee (CSMC) held here yesterday.
- With this, the total number of houses sanctioned so far under the scheme would be over 30.52 lakh, it said.
- In the recent approvals, Madhya Pradesh got the highest sanction of 34,680 houses, followed by Haryana 24,221 houses, Maharashtra 11,523 houses, Jharkhand 28,477 houses, Kerala 9836 houses and Mizoram 3,270 houses.
- Under PMAY(U), the government targets to provide houses to all urban poor by 2022. Currently, the shortage of houses is pegged at 1.2 crore.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, is the apex body for formulation and administration of the rules and regulations and laws relating to the housing and urban development in India
- Website: moud.gov.in
- Jurisdiction: India
- Headquarters: Maulana Azad Road, Nirman Bhawan, New Delhi – 110 011
- Cabinet minister: Narendra Singh Tomar
- Minister of state: Rao Inderjit Singh
- Programs: Smart Cities Mission,
Indian Coast Guard conducts Marine Oil Pollution Response Exercise “Clean Sea-2017”
- The Regional Level Marine Oil Pollution Response Exercise that has given the title of the ‘Clean Sea – 2017’, has going to conducted at the sea off Port Blair on 29 Nov 17.
- “Indian Coast Guard is responsible for marine environment protection in the maritime zones of India and is the coordinating authority for response to oil spills in Indian waters. The Force has drawn up a National Oil Spill Disaster Contingency Plan (NOSDCP) and has established three pollution response centres at Mumbai, Chennai and Port Blair,” Commandant Dalip Singh, Public Relations Officer, Coast Guard Region (A&N) to reporters today.
- “In case of any spill due to tanker accident, the likelihood of it reaching the shores of eco-sensitive islands is very high and this may cause irreversible harm to the flora & fauna causing imbalance to the bio diversity which includes endangering marine species, damaging virgin beaches, coastline, mangroves, corals, fishery and marine protected areas. Besides tanker traffic through six-degree channel, ten degree and coco channel also see significant daily traffic of large merchant vessels passing through. Preservation and protection of the sensitive ecology and marine environment of these pristine A&N Islands is a collective responsibility of all of us. We are duty bound to preserve and protect marine environment from the risk of oil pollution at sea,” the PRO added.
- “The exercise evolutions included mobilisation of pollution response resources by various stakeholders in Andaman Region, exercising reporting procedures, testing of communication links and threat assessment, recovery of distressed crew from sea, fire fighting assistance by OPVs to disabled merchant tanker, deployment of pollution response equipment for containment and recovery of spilled oil, transfer of recovered oil to barges for transportation to port/ shore reception facility coordinated by Pollution Control Board and demonstration of Dispersant Spray capabilities by the Coast Guard Interceptor Boats, Fast Patrol Vessels, Pollution Control Vessels, Chetak Helicopter and Dornier,” Commandant Dalip Singh added.
- “Exercise ‘Clean Sea’ validated and reinforced response mechanism for Oil Pollution incidents and enabled Indian Coast Guard to fine tune the actions required in such eventualities by improving coordination and communication with different agencies. All out efforts are being made with the synergy of stakeholders through such exercises to extend GoI policy of “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” to Maritime Zones of India through “Swachh Sagar Abhiyan” also, as 64% of world oil trade pass through the Andaman Sea,” the PRO added.
- The Indian Coast Guard protects India’s maritime interests and enforces maritime law, with jurisdiction over the territorial waters of India, including its contiguous zone and exclusive economic zone
- Director General: Director General Rajendra Singh, PTM, TM
- Additional Director General: Additional Director General V. S. R. Murthy, PTM, TM
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Motto: वयम् रक्षामः (Sanskrit: We Protect)
- Founded: 18 August 1978
- Anniversaries: Coast Guard Day: 1 February
Indo – UK Joint Army Exercise Ajeya Warrior 2017 begins in Bikaner
- Joint Indo-United Kingdom army training exercise ‘Ajeya Warrior 2017’ has been going to conducted between the Indian and United Kingdom armies from December 1 to 14 at Mahajan Field Firing Ranges, Bikaner. This exercise will be the third joint military exercise between the two countries, which have a history of extensive cooperation in the defense area. The first exercise had been conducted in 2013 at Belgaum, whereas for the second exercise in 2015, Indian Army contingent had visited the United Kingdom.
- Indian Army is has been going to joint exercises with friendly foreign countries like Russia, USA, UK, France, Thailand and Kazakhstan. In this regard, exercise ‘Ajeya Warrior 2017’ is the latest planned Indo-UK joint military exercise involving mechanised forces, which is scheduled to be conducted at Mahajan Field Firing Ranges.
- Defense representative Lt Col Manish Ojha said, “The participating troops for the exercise from Indian Army are from 20th Battalion The Rajputana Rifles, while the troops of 1st Battalion, the Royal Anglican Regiment will participate from the Royal British Army.”
- He said, “Both the sides have prepared themselves well for the aforesaid training activity with a view to extract maximum from it in terms of best practices and joint action. The 14-day exercise with Royal British Army is scheduled to be conducted in multiple modes nodules in order to achieve complete integration between the two contingents at every stage. The exercise will provide field commanders and troops and opportunity to interact with each other in matters professional, social and cultural.”
Sushma Swaraj attends SCO summit in Russia
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has reached at the Russian city of Sochi on Friday to attend the annual Shanghai Cooperation Organisation summit.
- The summit has been held from November 30 and December 1 and in the summit there will be the topic related to the regional security scenario, including situations in the Gulf and Afghanistan are likely to be discussed. In the month of June, India and Pakistan had become full-fledged members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), a China-dominated security grouping increasingly seen as a counterweight to NATO.
- “EAM @SushmaSwaraj arrives in the picturesque town of #Sochi to attend the SCO Council Heads of Government Meeting on 30 November & 1 December. #EAMatSCO,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar tweeted.
- India had been an observer at the SCO since 2005. It has generally participated in the ministerial-level meetings of the grouping which focus mainly on security and economic cooperation in the Eurasian region.
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation is a Eurasian political, economic, and security organisation, the creation of which was announced on 15 June 2001 in Shanghai, China by the leaders of China
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Deputy Secretaries General: Sabyr Imandosov; Wang Kaiwen; Aziz Nosirov; Vladimir Potapenko
- Secretary General: Rashid Alimov
- Founded: 26 April 1996
- Formation: 15 June 2001 (superseded Shanghai Five group, founded on 26 April 1996)
- Founders: China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan
USAID launches `Rajasthan Development Impact Bond
- The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has started the event of a health-impact bond to reduce maternal and neo-natal deaths in Rajasthan by improving the quality of services at private healthcare facilities.
- “We are launching this facility for the first time across the globe. Through this public-private partnership, private capital will front the cost to improve the quality of health services in private health facilities in Rajasthan and USAID will payback the investment only if the providers achieve certain concrete results,” Green said.
- “This `Utkrisht Impact Bond’ — Utkrisht is Hindi for excellent — is the world’s first health impact bond, developed by partners including USAID, Merck for Mothers, the UBS Optimus Foundation, HLFPPT and PSI,” a statement on USAID website said.
- “As outcome payers, USAID and Merck for Mothers would pay back the investment only if certain targets were met. The effort has the potential to reach up to 600,000 pregnant women,” USAID said.
- The United States Agency for International Development is the United States Government agency which is primarily responsible for administering civilian foreign aid
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Agency executive: Mark Andrew Green, Administrator
- Founder: John F. Kennedy
- Founded: 3 November 1961
- Annual budget: 27.2 billion USD (FY 2016 Budgetary Resources)
- Motto: “From the American people”
BANKING AND FINANCE
Market regulator SEBI enhances governance for Mutual Funds
- To give the strong base to the governance in the term of the mutual funds, markets regulator Sebi today has been get in the face for the framework for the tenure of independent trustees as well as directors.
- “An independent trustee and independent director will hold office for a maximum of two terms, with each term not exceeding a period of five consecutive years,” the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) said in a circular.
- “The independent trustee or director will not hold office for more than two consecutive terms. However, such individuals will be eligible for re-appointment after a cooling-off period of three years,” it said.
- “During the cooling-off period, such individuals should not be associated with the concerned MF (mutual fund), AMC (asset Management Company) and its subsidiaries and/ or sponsor of AMC in any manner whatsoever,” the regulator noted.
- At the time of the cooling-off period of five years, the incoming auditor will not include any firm that has common partner(s) with the outgoing audit firm and any associate of the outgoing audit firm which are under the “same network” of audit firms.
NSE group firm launches Nifty LargeMidcap 250 index
- NSE group firm India Index Services and Products Ltd (IISL) on Thursday has launched the Nifty LargeMidcap 250 Index, which will track the performance of 100 large-cap and 150 mid-cap companies listed on the exchange.
- “Nifty LargeMidcap 250 is a well-diversified index with equal aggregate weight to large and midcap stocks ensuring balanced exposure to both the segments.
- “The Index represents the investable universe of stocks for funds that invest in both large and mid-cap categories and is thus expected to strongly appeal to the investment community as an ideal benchmark for such funds,” Mukesh Agarwal, CEO, IISL, said in a statement.
- “All Nifty indices follow a well-defined, market relevant and rules-based framework that helps IISL provide transparent, replicable and market representative indices,” the statement added.
- The National Stock Exchange of India Limited is the leading stock exchange of India, located in Mumbai
- The NSE was established in 1992 as the first demutualized electronic exchange in the country
- Market cap: US$1.41 trillion (March 2016)
- of listings: 1,696
- CEO: Vikram Limaye (17 Jul 2017–)
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Customer service: 1800 22 0051
- Currency: Indian rupee (₹)
Rs 1 currency note completes 100 years
- On Friday the one-rupee note has turns 100 years in age. The first Re1 note printed in England that was issued on November 30, in the year 1917 in India, with an image of King George V, the then British monarch, imprinted on the left corner. The government of India since 1861 has presented another currency notes, the Re1 note was launched in 1917 because the silver used for the Re1 coin was melted for making weaponry components during World War I.
- Sushilkumar Agrawal, CEO, mintageworld.com, an online museum for coins, currency notes and stamps, said during festivals, a bundle of 100 Re1 notes is bought for as much as Rs15,000. “Re1 note is considered prestigious because people add Re1 when they are gifting someone, and notes are always preferred over coins in such cases,” he said.
- Girish Veera, owner, Oswal Antiques, had a different view: “Re1 note of 1917 may not fetch higher values in auction, but it has historical importance.”
- Rezwan Razack, an author from Bengaluru, has around 100 notes of Re1. “It is because of my hobby that I have learnt history,” said Razack.
- At the time of issue in the year 1917, Re1 was equal to 10.7 gms of silver. Taking into consideration the present value of silver — Rs390 for 10 grams numismatists estimate that over its 100-year life, the value of Re1 has depreciated around 400 times.
Science and Technology
Google introduces ‘Datally’ app for quick data usage in real time
- Technology Giant Google has announced the launch Datally App that will help users to understand, control and save on their mobile data. This app will available on globaly on Google Play Store, Datally App will enable users to track their data usage in real time, and get personalized recommendations on saving data along with notifications of public Wi-Fi spots available nearby.
- “A bunch of us on the team spent a lot of time on long flights observing people in their homes, bus stations, classrooms, and kept seeing this airplane mode behavior,” exclaims Woodward.
- Talking about Datally, Caesar Sengupta, Vice President, Next Billion Users, Google says via a blog post, “Mobile data is expensive for many people around the world. And what’s worse, it’s hard to figure out where it all goes. That’s why we built Datally, an app that helps you to control, save more and do more with your data. We’ve been testing Datally in the Philippines for the past few months, and people are saving up to 30 percent on their data.”
- Google LLC is an American multinational technology company that specializes in Internet-related services and products
- These include online advertising technologies, search, cloud computing, software, and hardware
- CEO: Sundar Pichai (2 Oct 2015–)
- Founded: 4 September 1998, Menlo Park, California, United States
- Headquarters: Mountain View, California, United States
- Subsidiaries: YouTube, AdMob, Google Japan, DoubleClick, MORE
- Founders: Larry Page, Sergey Brin
- Parent organization: Alphabet Inc.
Ankushita wins the ‘Best Boxer’ title in AIBA Women’s Youth World Championship
- There has been the spectucal performance has been done by the Indian girl in the AIBA Women’s Youth World Championship to script history on Sunday at Nabin Chandra Bordoloi Indoor Stadium here. In the time of the evening the Ankushita Boro, Jyoti, Nitu, Sakshi and Shashi Chopra – won gold, which has never happened for India in this championship. In the process, Jyoti also qualified for the youth Olympics to be held in Buenos Aires next year.
- “It was not very difficult for me. Compared to the semifinal, it was an easy affair. Now, I’m focused at the youth Olympics,” an elated Nitu told reporters after the bout on Sunday in a packed stadium.
- “I didn’t realize that it would be an easy bout for me. It turned out to be easier than the semifinal. First two rounds went smoothly. Third round was a little difficult but I continued to punch,” Jyoti said.
- “I was a little selective. Both attack and defence was call of the day. Our coach had asked me not go for unnecessary punches and I just followed that. My opponent missed several punches that I capitalized on,” Shashi said.
- The International Boxing Association, originally the Association Internationale de Boxe Amateur and still referred to as the AIBA is a sport organization that sanctions amateur boxing matches and awards world and subordinate championships
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
- President: Wu Ching-kuo
- Founded: 1946
- Main organ: Congress
- Affiliations: International Olympic Committee, MORE
- Type of business: Sports Association
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Lipstick Under My Burkha wins tve’s Global Sustainability Film award in London
- “Lipstick Under My Burkha”, in which there has been the explores women’s sexuality, has won the top price in the Global Sustainability Film Awards here. The Founder’s Award for Sustainability on the Big Screen was introduced this year and sponsored by philanthropist Surina Narula.
- Judges for the Founder’s Award for Sustainability on the Big Screen were Richard Creasey, managing director of BFC Media Ltd, owner of Moscow’s first IMAX theatre; Denise Parkinson, entertainment director, global and UK for the Telegraph Media Group, and Surina Narula. This event was head by the award-winning cinematographer, director and screenwriter Steven Bernstein.
- “Lipstick Under My Burkha” is produced by Prakash Jha and directed by Alankrita Shrivastava and stars Konkona SenSharma and Ratna Pathak Shah among others. Actor Gabriella Wright, also a film producer and philanthropist working for women’s rights, received the award from Narula, on behalf of the filmmakers. She said she felt an emotional bond with the film as the issue was very close to her heart.
Freedom fighter Saraswati Tripathy passes away
- Prominent Gandhian and freedom fighter Saraswati Tripathy on Friday has been passed away at the age of 89, family sources said.
- Saraswati Tripathy had met to Mahatma Gandhi at Beraboi Ashram in Puri district and joined the freedom struggle.
- Saraswati Tripathy at the Thakar Bapa Ashram at Balipadia village in Jajpur district till her last breath.
- Odisha’s health minister Pratap Jena, OPCC president Prasad Harichandan, Government chief whip Amar Prasad Satpathy and many others condoled the demise of Saraswati Tripathy.