Vice President inaugurates Centenary Celebrations of Yoga Institute in Mumbai
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said in the term of the event celebrations of Yoga Institute at the public side, in Mumbai today said that a combination of Work, Knowledge and Devotion yield extraordinary results.
- “The Vice President said that proponents of yogic science have gone deeper into the interconnectedness in human life an emphasized the importance of ‘concentration’ and being able to think, reflect and meditate quietly on the events happening around us. In those quiet moments, they visualized that all of us can make sound ethical decisions,” he added.
- “The Vice President said that this world view has ethics as the underlying bedrock of a harmonious, sustainable lifestyle. The components of this yogic philosophy form the ethical principles that are so universal: Non-Violence, truthfullness, non-stealing, fidelity toone’s partner and not being avaricious,” he added.
- He again said that among its other facets are the posture, breathing exercises, abstraction, concentration, meditation and liberation. “Clearly these aspects of the yogic philosophy cover both the physical as well as the metaphysical and the spiritual and the vision is so uniquely comprehensive and eminently practical,” he added.
UP state assembly passes bill for death penalty for illicit liquor trade
- The Uttar Pradesh assembly on Friday has passed a bill to provide the award to the death penalty and life imprisonment for the public who has some of the liquor if its consumption leads to any death.
- The UP Excise (Amendment) Bill 2017, that has been created at the House on Thursday by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Suresh Khanna has been repel it by the term of the brought by the government in September in this regard was passed by a voice vote.
- This bill has been passed for the death penalty, life sentence and fine to the tune of Rs 10 lakh and not less than Rs five lakh in case of death caused due to consumption of spurious liquor.
- This has been also provide by the rigorous imprisonment up to 10 years and not less than six years in case of disability caused by consumption of spurious liquor and fine to the tune of Rs five lakh and not less than Rs three lakh.
Jairam Thakur Will Be Chief Minister In Himachal Pradesh
- Five-time legislator Jairam Thakur has been going to sworn as the new Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, BJP lawmakers has decided today after a meeting to pick their chief, attended by the party’s Central observers Nirmala Sitharaman and Narendra Singh Tomar. He will take the sworn on December 27, the BJP has announced.
- The legislators’ decision has been decided after the Prem Kumar Dhumal whom the BJP had named as its prospective Chief Minister 10 days before the elections – pulled out of the race. The 73-year-old had lost the election to his Congress opponent and one-time protege Rajendra Rana, even though his party won 44 of the state’s 68 seats. But he remained in the race as several loyalists offered him their fresh-won seats.
- Speaking to News18 from Shimla, she said, “It is a great honour for us. I am extremely happy that my husband has made it to the highest post in the state. We are from a humble background and we still lead a normal life. I am sure that my husband will do well as the chief minister of HP. I thank the voters and the BJP for this.”
- “We will deliver the promises made and will work round the clock to ensure progress and development of Himachal Pradesh,” said Mr Thakur, who has been seen as a Chief Minister-in-waiting for a long time.
Ganga Gram Project launched to make 4,470 Ganga Villages Swachh
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MDWS) has launched on Saturday the ‘Ganga Gram’ that is a project for sanitation based integrated development of all 4470 villages along the River Ganga, at a multi-stakeholder sammelan held at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi today.
- The Ganga Gram Swachhta Sammelan that has been comes by the 1400 delegates including 500 village sarpanches from all five Ganga States (Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal), State and District government officials, NMCG Members and Ganga Swachhta Manch volunteers.
- Speaking on the occasion, “Shri Nitin Gadkari, Minister for Water Resources, Ganga Rejuvenation and River Development appealed to the village sarpanches to pledge unconditional support to making River Ganga and Ganga Grams ‘swachh’. Highlighting the various Government interventions towards making the Ganga ‘Nirmal’ Shri Gadkari, announced that funds will be generated from NRIs to support the various Ganga projects.”
- Speaking on the occasion, “Sushri Uma Bharti, Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation advised to let development take place only if adequate care and precaution is taken in the project to protect the environment of the Ganga. Highlighting the commitment of the Government towards the Ganga, she informed that Evaluation and Monitoring Systems and Process feature prominently in all Ganga rejuvenation projects. She highlighted that the Ganga Gram project depends upon the commitment and resolve of the people living on its banks.”
US President Signs $1.5 Trillion Tax Overhaul Law
- President Donald Trump has signed the $1.5 trillion tax that has been the law of the Friday, has spend his last moment that has been used at the White House before flying to Florida for the holidays to celebrate a much-needed political win.
- Trump, meanwhile, continued to send mixed messages about his desire to work across the aisle. In the Oval Office, he contended anew that Democrats “don’t like tax cuts, they want to raise your taxes.”
- But that came just hours after he tweeted a pitch for bipartisanship: “At some point, and for the good of the country, I predict we will start working with the Democrats in a bipartisan fashion. Infrastructure would be a perfect place to start. … It is time to start rebuilding our country!”
- Starting next year, families making between $50,000 and $75,000 will get average tax cuts of $890, according to an analysis by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center. Families making between $100,000 and $200,000 would get average tax cuts of $2,260, while families making more than $1 million would get average tax cuts of nearly $70,000, according to the analysis.
Cuban President Raul Castro step down in April 2018
- Cuban President Raul Castro, has decided to lose the one time before that is the leave office in February, will remain at the head of the Caribbean island’s government two months longer than expected, it has been reported.
- “When the National Assembly is constituted (in April), my second and last term as head of state and the government will be concluded, and Cuba will have a new president,” Castro said when closing the parliamentary session on Thursday.
- Still operating the helms of Cuba’s revolutionary government, Castro took aim at the current U.S. administration this week, describing its policies as a “serious and irrational regression in Cuba-US relations.”
- He cited the “intensification of the embargo, the return of aggressive and disrespectful rhetoric, and the arbitrary application of unjust measures that greatly affect ties between the two countries” as evidence of increased hostilities toward the small island of 11.5 million people.
- Nevertheless, he recalled that the Cuban revolution has “withstood the onslaught of 11 (U.S.) administrations and here we are; we shall remain free, sovereign and independent.”
Amnesty International appoints Kumi Naidoo as next Secretary General
- Amnesty International has appoint the Kumi Naidoo as the next Secretary General of the global human rights movement. From August in next year that is in the 2018 Kumi will succeed Salil Shetty, who served two terms as Secretary General from 2010.
- “We are delighted to be welcoming Kumi as our new Secretary General. His vision and passion for a just and peaceful world make him an outstanding leader for our global movement, as we strengthen our resolve for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all,” said Mwikali Muthiani, Chair of the Board of Amnesty International.
- “I have been an activist and campaigner all my life, so I am excited to be joining the world’s largest people movement for human rights at a time when we need to counter increasing attacks on basic freedoms and on civil society around the globe. This means adapting to a fluid fast-changing global environment with urgency, passion and with courage,” said Kumi Naidoo.
- “Amnesty International’s campaigns for justice and equality today are more urgent than ever, and I am humbled and honored to be leading the organization in these challenging times.”
- “The world is at an exciting moment when people across the world are mobilising in large numbers to fight against injustice and hold leaders in governments and corporations to account for human rights abuses. I can’t think of anybody better than Kumi Naidoo to build on Amnesty International’s mission to become a truly global people’s movement for human rights,” said Salil Shetty.
- “I am delighted to hand over the reins when for the first time in Amnesty’s history, we have both the Secretary General and Board Chair from Africa.”
BANKING AND FINANCE
Yes Bank sets up MTN programme to raise $1 bn
- Private sector lender Yes Bank on Saturday has said it has established a Medium Term Note (MTN) programme to increase the USD 1 billion (over 6,400 crore) by issuing debt securities on private placement basis.
- “The Bank has, on December 22, 2017, established a Medium Term Note programme for an amount of USD 1 billion, in order to enable the bank to issue debt instruments in the international capital markets, to eligible investors, from time to time, in one or more tranches and/or series,” Yes Bank said in a regulatory filing.
- In the last month that is in the November 29, the Capital Raising Committee of the board of the bank had approved its proposal to set up the MTN programme. The bank can raise money, in Indian or foreign currency through various means, including issuance of debt securities such as non-convertible debentures, MTNs, tier I/II bonds, as well as long-term infrastructure bonds.
- As per the approval from its board of directors and shareholders, the bank has permission to raise funds up to Rs. 20,000 crore in one or more tranches on private placement basis from time to time.
- Yes Bank is India’s fifth largest private sector bank, founded by Rana Kapoor and Ashok Kapur in 2004
- Yes Bank is the only Greenfield Bank licence awarded by the RBI in the last one decade
- Customer service: 1800 2000
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Rana Kapoor (2004–)
- Founder: Rana Kapoor
Govt Mint Launches First Home-Grown High Purity Gold Reference Standard
- India’s first homegrown high purity gold that is the refence standard of the Bharatiya Nirdeshak Dravya (BND-4201) has been launched on Saturday at the India Government Mint, Mumbai. “BND-4201, which is the reference material for gold of ‘9999’ fineness (gold that is 99.99 per cent pure), will be beneficial to the consumers and public at large to ensure purity of gold, said IGM, Mumbai,” in a statement.
- IGM said, “Once the BND’s of other purity gold are made available in the market, jewellers will move towards more instrumental methods rather than the conventional fire assay methods for testing, which are not only time consuming but also not environment friendly as poisonous gases are released.”
- The high purity gold reference standard has been developed through a collaboration between IGM, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre National Centre for Compositional Characterisation of Materials (Hyderabad), and Council of Scientific & Industrial Research-National Physical Laboratory (New Delhi).
- “The measurement of the high purity BND-4201 is traceable to SI units (International System of Units)….Therefore, the possibilities of exporting to other economies are very high,” said DK Aswal, Director, CSIR-NPL. R Haripanth, General Manager, IGM-Mumbai, said alongwith CSIR-NPL, IGM will soon take up the production of other morphologies of the gold BND’s as well as other precious materials. IGM, Mumbai, is a unit of the Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India Ltd.
Ranveer Singh is Premier League’s ambassador in India
- The English Premier League has created one of the official partnership with Indian film actor Ranveer Singh. The Bollywood star is the one of the most vigerous fan of the Football and will help promote the Premier League to fans in India and globally.
- Richard Masters, Premier League Managing Director, said: “Ranveer Singh is a passionate Premier League supporter who connects with fans across India and the world. His knowledge of the game and commitment to its development and growth, both domestically and internationally, is what has led to the creation of this partnership.
- “We look forward to working with Ranveer to encourage football fans in India to play, coach, referee and support the game.”
- Ranveer said, “It is an honour to take on an ambassadorial role with the Premier League. I look forward to sharing my passion for football and hope that I can help develop and grow the fan base for the sport in India.”
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Sushil Becomes PWL’s Most Expensive Wrestler at Rs.55 lakh
- There has been the any time before the PWL auctions got underway, there has been the some doubt that the Sushil Kumar can become the highest paid wrestler. There has been now the time the owners has been saving the money that how they lcan get the Sushil. With a base price of 25 lakh rupees, he was expected to be costlier than any other Indian wrestler was.
- But after the time that is on the Saturday, Sushil has got the place of the most expensive wrestler not just in this auction, but in the history of the league. Delhi Sultan got him for Rs 55 lakh after a tug-of-war with Veer Maratha team. Ironically, this was the same tournament from where Sushil’s career hit a roadblock two years ago. In the inaugural auctions, Sushil didn’t get a price he would have liked.
- No other wrestler, in the Indian or foreign, has ever got a price of even Rs 50 lakh. Vladimir Khinchegashvili was the previous highest sold wrestler for Rs 48 lakh last year. He remained unsold today.
Bob Givens Dies: Animator Refined The Look For ‘Bugs Bunny’ Cartoons
- The animator who has given the shape and look for the Bugs Bunny that brought laughter to millions of people, he has died at the age of
- He has spent over the 60 years as an animator during Hollywood’s golden era of cartooning, working for the Walt Disney Co., Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera. In addition to Bugs Bunny, he drew such characters as Daffy Duck, Tom & Jerry, Popeye and Alvin & The Chipmunks.
- The genesis of Bugs Bunny’s redesign began with a conversation with director Tex Avery. The original sketches of the character “looked like Daffy Duck,” said Mariana Givens, and was deemed “too cute” for the type of mischief that rascally rabbit Bugs would concoct.