Andhra Pradesh Cabinet Approves Pension for State’s Transgenders
- The Andhra Pradesh Cabinet on Saturday has given the approval for the scheme to provide a pension of Rs 1500 to transgenders above 18 years of age in the state.
- “It has been indentified that there are 26,000 eligible transgenders in the state and Cabinet nodded to pay pensions to them,” reads an official statement.
- Under this scheme, the transgender there will be the facility of the ration cards, plots and scholarships skill development for financial stability.
- In the ast month, chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu announced pension scheme for the transgender community in the state. After Kerala and Odisha, Andhra Pradesh becomes the next state to sanction pension scheme for the transgender community.
- Andhra Pradesh is a state bordering India’s southeastern coast
- Major cultural landmarks include Tirumala Venkateswara Temple, an ornate hilltop shrine to Hindu’s Vishnu, in the southern part of the state
- It’s visited by tens of millions of pilgrims annually
- The major northern port of Visakhapatnam has popular beaches like Ramakrishna and Rishikonda lining the Bay of Bengal, offering spots for swimming and surfing
- Largest city: Visakhapatnam
- Literacy rate: 67.41% (2011)
- Districts: 13
Dharmendra Pradhan Inaugurates Eastern India’s First CNG Stations
- Oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan has started the eastern India’s first compressed natural gas (CNG) stations for scooters in Bhubaneswar on Saturday.
- There has been the establishment of the two more station at the Khandagiri and Tamando area in Odisha’s state capital. In coming years, 25 CNG stations will be commissioned in the twin cities of Bhubaneswar and Cuttack to supply CNG to vehicles. “By use of CNG instead of petrol and diesel in two wheelers one can save up to 30 to 40 per cent of his oil expenses per month,” Pradhan told reporters after the inauguration.
- “The Centre will invest Rs 5,000 crore for pipeline project. From these Rs 5,000 crore, Rs 2,000 crore is estimated to be invested for development of human resources. In the first phase Rs 1,700 crore will be invested for Compressed Gas Distribution (CGD) 100-100 km Pipeline in Cuttack- Bhubaneswar,” Pradhan said.
- Pradhan said two more stations will be ready soon at Khandagiri and Tamando area. “We are planning to build 15 similar stations in Bhubaneswar and 10 others at Cuttack in a phased manner to promote the use of CNG,” he added.
Government Approves Dish TV Merger with Videocon d2h
- Dish TV India Limited (Dishtv), Asia Pacific’s largest direct-to-home (DTH) company and part of the Essel Group has given the final approval for the closing of the merger of Videocon d2h with DishTV.
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) had given the approval for the company for completion of the transaction for the creation of the largest listed media company in India taking into consideration the last reported revenue and EBITDA numbers of the two DTH players on a pro-forma basis, said a company statement.
- Commenting on the development, Mr. Jawahar Goel, CMD, DishTV India Limited, said, “It has been a long journey since the announcement of the agreement between the two companies a year back. We would like to thank the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, the National Company Law Tribunal, the Competition Commission of India, the Securities and Exchange Board of India, the Stock Exchanges and all other stakeholders for showing their trust in us. I would also like to express our gratitude to our shareholders for standing by us through the transaction and believing in us to take the combined entity to the next level going forward.”
- Anil Dua, Group CEO, Dish TV India Limited, said, “Together, Dish TV and Videocon d2h are going to write history as we embark on this journey of delighting our ‘29 million and growing’ customer base. It is an exciting way ahead as we get this opportunity to leverage the individual strengths of the two organisations. I feel reassured looking at the formidable combination of these two talented teams that are now going to be working together towards a shared vision and common goals.”
Sebastian Pinera Wins Chile’s Presidential Election
- Chile’s former President, the conservative billionaire Sebastian Pinera, has been chosen for the some of the serving for the country’s leader.
- Pinera, who has been govern himself as the South American nation from 2010 to 2014, defeated leftist candidate Alejandro Guillier during a second round of voting Sunday.
- “We receive this triumph with humility and hope,” Pinera said, according to CNN affiliate CNN Chile, while the crowd chanted “Chile has been saved!” and “Cecilia, Cecilia,” referring to his wife, Cecilia Morel.
- He said he’d seek the counsel of “those who have had the privilege and honor of being president in the past,” he said, likely referring to Bachelet and their predecessor, Ricardo Lagos.
- “I look forward to receiving your sound and valuable advice and I will present great proposals to my compatriots to face and resolve the problems affecting Chileans. … We can think differently. Long live our differences! We should never allow the pluralism of ideas to turn us into enemies.”
BANKING AND FINANCE
UIDAI Temporarily Bars Airtel from Conducting Aadhaar Linked e-KYC Certification
- On Saturday, UIDAI temporarily barred Bharti Airtel and Airtel Payments Bank that for the cunduction of the Aadhaar linked e-KYC verification of SIM cards and bank clients. That action has been taken for the Bharti Airtel using the Aadhaar-eKYC based SIM verification process to open payments bank accounts of its subscribers without their ‘informed consent’.
- “The lapses are serious in nature. Prima facie, it is a criminal breach of trust and contract, and there are violations of provisions of the Aadhaar Act,” a source, who did not wish to be identified, had told in the report.
- When contacted, an Airtel spokesperson said: “We can confirm that we have received interim order from the UIDAI regarding temporary suspension of Aadhaar linked e-KYC services till their satisfaction on certain processes relating to Airtel payment banks onboarding of customers.”
- “We are engaging with the authority and are hopeful of an early resolution. We are also undertaking to complete the said actions on priority and have commenced thorough checks of our process flows. “Being compliant to all guidelines is paramount to us. In the interim, any inconvenience to our customers is regretted,” the spokesperson said.
ED Freezes Assets worth Rs 245 crore in STC Fraud Case
- The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has set at the frozen assets worth Rs 245 crore in connection with its money-laundering probe in the alleged fraud of Rs 2,200 crore with the State Trading Corporation (STC).
- In the starting the company has early this year registered a criminal case under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) against Ms Global Steel Holding Limited, its chairman Pramod Kumar Mittal and others based on an FIR by the CBI.
- “Proportionate share of Mittal and Ms Global Steel Holding Ltd in Ms Balasore Alloys Limited which includes building, plant and machinery of Ms Balasore Alloys valued at about Rs 244.89 crore has been attached in lieu of the proceeds of crime,” the agency said in a statement.
GST Council Clears e-way Bill Mechanism
- In the term of the set, the distance in the term of the GST Council on Saturday has decided to implement the e-way bill mechanism in all over the country by June 1 after reviewing the readiness of the IT network.
- “The 24th meeting of the GST Council, held on Saturday through video conferencing under the chairmanship of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, discussed the implementation of the e-way bill system in the country after reviewing readiness of hardware and software for its launch,” an official statement said.
- “Till such time as the national e-way Bill is ready, the states were authorised to continue their own separate e-way Bill systems,” it added.
- “While the system for both inter-state and intra-state e-way Bill generation will be ready by January 16, the states may choose their own timings for implementation of e-way Bill for intra-state movement of goods on any date before June 1, 2018,” the statement said.
- “But in any case, the uniform system of e-way Bill for inter-State as well as intra-state movement will be implemented across the country by June 1,” it added.
Samsung, UNESCO Partner for Videos on Indian Heritage Sites
- Samsung India has join itself as a partnership with the UNESCO for the launch of virtual reality content and 360-degree videos on Indian heritage sites.
- “Samsung India has entered into a partnership with UNESCO MGIEP (Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development) to launch 360 video and virtual reality (VR) content of two magnificent Indian heritage sites, the Sun Temple in Konark, Odisha and Taj Mahal in Agra, Uttar Pradesh,” the company said in a statement.
- In this project, there will be the facility of the content related to the educational for the student.
- “The immersive content will also be available to students at Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNV), where Samsung Smart Classes have been set up in over 500 schools since 2013,” it added.
- There are 36 UNESCO heritage sites in India at present. Samsung India said it may take up more sites to develop 360 video and VR content in future.
- Samsung Group is a South Korean multinational conglomerate headquartered in Samsung Town, Seoul
- It comprises numerous affiliated businesses, most of them united under the Samsung brand, and is the largest South Korean chaebol
- Founder: Lee Byung-chul
- Founded: 1 March 1938, Daegu, South Korea
- Headquarters: Seoul, South Korea
- Revenue: 174 billion USD (2016)
- Number of employees: 4,89,000 (2014)
- Subsidiaries: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
RBI Imposes Rs 5 crore Penalty on Syndicate Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has praposed the penality of Rs 5 crore to Syndicate Bank for non-compliance with its directions on “Cheque Purchase or Discounting, Bill Discounting, and Know Your Customer (KYC)” norms.
- At the term of the RBI, the penalty was imposed on December 12, 2017 after “considering the bank’s reply and oral submissions made in the personal hearing”.
- “This action is based on deficiencies in regulatory compliance and is not intended to pronounce upon the validity of any transaction or agreement entered into by the bank with its customers,” the RBI said in a statement on Friday.
Science and Technology
WHO Certifies Gabon as Polio Free
- The health company that is the World health Organisation- WHO has given the statement by the AFP on Saturday, the UN health agency nonetheless recommended taking the necessary steps to continue monitoring for possible signs of the disease.
- Gabon’s Health Minister Denise Mekam’ne Edzidzie also urged families on Saturday to “continue to immunise children and prevent a resurgence of this disease”.
- Polio is a highly-infectious viral disease which mainly affects young children and can result in permanent paralysis. This disease has no cure and it can only prevented by the prevent of the immunisation. Cases of polio have decreased by 99 percent since 1988, when polio was endemic in 125 countries and 350,000 cases were recorded worldwide.
- Now the disease is endemic only in Afghanistan and Pakistan, where the WHO recorded four cases this year — two in each country. Last year, there were 37 cases globally.
- The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health
- It was established on 22 July 1946 headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 7 April 1948
- Head: Tedros Adhanom
- Customer service: 011 6656 4800
- Formation: 22 July 1946; 71 years ago
- Founders: India, United States of America, Venezuela, Turkey
Sushil Kumar Clinches Gold at Commonwealth Wrestling Championships
- Two times Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar on Sunday has clinched one more fame and returns himself as the international arena by clinching a gold as India won an impressive 59 medals at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- The freestyle wrestling team has won 10 gold, seven silver and two mronze medals today as India returned with a total of 29 gold, 24 silver and 6 bronze medals from the championships. Besides Sushil, Another Olympic medallist, Sakshi Malik, who won a bronze in the 2016 Rio Games, also clinched a gold medal in the championships.
- The other gold medals winners in the freestyle category for India today were Utkarsh Kale (57kg), Sharvan (61kg), Bajrang (65kg), Amit Dhankar (70kg), Jitender (79kg), Deepak (86kg), Somveer (92kg), Rubaljeet Singh (97kg) and Hitender (125kg).
- Rahul Aware (61kg), Arun Kumar (70kg), Praveen Rana (74kg), Veer Dev Gulia (79kg), Pawan Kumar (86kg), Mausam Khatri (97kg) and Sumit (125kg) won silver medals, while the bronze medals went to Sonu (65kg) and Azrudeen (92kg).
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Satheesh Reddy Conferred with National Design Award
- Scientific Advisor to the Defense Minister G Satheesh Reddy has given the one of the most prestigious National Design Award for his contributions for the most convenient design and development of diversified missile systems.
- “Reddy, also the Director General, Missiles and Strategic Systems will be conferred with the prestigious National Design Award for his significant national contributions towards indigenous design and development of diversified missile systems, guided weapons, avionics technologies and for his sustained efforts leading to the advancement of aerospace technologies and industries in India,” an official release said.
- Reddy spearheads Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex, ‘the Missiles hub of India’, who is heading the design and development of wide variety of tactical and strategic missile systems.
- He has given the many of his contribution in the technology map as well as on the defence preparedness of the country and paved the way for Self Sufficiency in Missile Systems and Technologies.
K-pop fans ‘devastated’ after Shinee singer Jonghyun dies in possible suicide
- A member of popular South Korean boyband SHINee has died at the age of 27 years on Monday in a possible suicide, leaving K-pop fans devastated by the tragic, sudden loss. Kim Jong-hyun, who was popular with name of the Jonghyun, was found unconscious at his apartment in Seoul, police told Korean media.
- “We’re sorry to deliver such heart-aching, unfortunate news. On December 18, SHINee member Jonghyun left our side unexpectedly,” the company said.
- “The deep sorrow cannot be compared to ones of his family who had to let go of their loving son and brother but the employees and artists of SM Entertainment, also in deep shock and sorrow, are offering condolences,” the statement added.
International Human Solidarity Day
- The United Nations Regional Information Centre (UNRIC) has been made up of the 63 United Nations Information Centres (UNICs) around the world.
- The main aim of this is to provide the UN message, raise awareness and create understanding of issues relating to the United Nations’ objectives. UNRIC serves the Western European Region by providing and disseminating UN information material, UN reports and documents, press kits, posters, fact sheets and brochures.