Supreme Court rules Right to Privacy as Fundamental Right
- A nine-judge Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court on August 24 has been stated that the there should be the right of the security “intrinsic to life and liberty” and that has been inherited by the some of the under the various fundamental freedoms enshrined under Part III of the Indian Constitution.
- Justice HR Khanna, said, “India’s brush with a regime of the suspension of life and personal liberty in the not too distant past is a grim reminder of how tenuous liberty can be, if the judiciary is not vigilant,”
- “The purpose of infusing a right with a constitutional element is precisely to provide it a sense of immunity from popular opinion and, as its reflection, from legislative annulment. Constitutionally protected rights embody the liberal belief that personal liberties of the individual are so sacrosanct that it is necessary to ensconce them in a protective shell that places them beyond the pale of ordinary legislation. To negate a constitutional right on the ground that there is an available statutory protection is to invert constitutional theory,” Justice Chandrachud said.
- “Privacy, even if assumed to be a fundamental right, consists of a large number of sub-species… It will be constitutionally impermissible to declare each and every instance of privacy a fundamental right. Privacy has varied connotations when examined from different aspects of liberties. If the SC wants to declare it a fundamental right, then it probably has to determine separately the various aspects of privacy and the extent of violation that could trigger a constitutional remedy,” Venugopal said.
Sushma Swaraj to inaugurate first Videsh Bhavan in Mumbai
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will opened the country’s first Videsh Bhavan, that facilitates with all the Regional Passport Offices in one section only, and that will be at the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) here on Sunday, an official said on Wednesday.
- In the first project and in this, four offices of MEA – Regional Passport Office (RPO), Protector of Emigrants (PoE) office, Branch Secretariat and Regional Office of ICCR – have been assimilated and brought under one roof at the state-of-art office, said Regional Passport Officer Swati Kulkarni.
- Minister of State for External Affairs Gen. (Retd) V.K. Singh, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, Administrator of Union Territories of Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Praful Patel and will also attend this event on this occasion, she said.
- The main project of this Videsh Bhavan of Mumbai is part of the Centre’s policy is for the braught of the many of the offices at ones MEA in the one place and work closely with states as more and more Indians are going abroad for employment, education, business and tourism.
Karnataka MOU with Microsoft to develop India’s first Farm Price Forecasting Model
- By the plan of the some of the IT sector like the software giant Microsoft will that has been going to come at the Karnataka farmers who constantly struggle with an unpredictable market.
- Karnataka Agriculture Department has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Microsoft India for the development of the different manner “farm price forecasting model” by using the latest of the IT tools in a bid to help farmers, administrators and other stakeholders to understand the market behavior in advance.
- The given plan of the system has been given by the some of the “multi-variate” in that there will be the some of the topic that will resolve equation while forecasting the prices for crops.
- T.N. Prakash Kammaradi, chairman of the Karnataka Agriculture Prices Commission, who is the best and the head of the project, the model would help provide real-time market data, besides helping analyses its implications on farm sector. “What we are trying to achieve is predictability as well as stability of farm incomes,” he said.
- Karnataka is a state in southwest India with Arabian Sea coastlines
- The capital, Bengaluru (formerly Bangalore), is a high-tech hub known for its shopping and nightlife
- To the southwest, Mysore is home to lavish temples including Mysore Palace, former seat of the region’s maharajas
- Hampi, once the medieval Vijayanagara empire’s capital, contains ruins of Hindu temples, elephant stables and a stone chariot
- Capital: Bengaluru (Executive Branch)
- Districts: 30
- Language: Kannada
Nepal launches world’s First Climate smart landscape management plan for snow leopard conservation
- The first time in the Nepal on Wednesday launched its new climate-smart snow leopard landscape management plan, and that is for the lead of the safe and the security of the animal, also found in India, and its habitat.
- “This Bishkek summit sets the stage for snow leopard range states to raise the bar and take strong action now to prevent permanent damage and build resilience for snow leopards and their habitats,” WWF International Director General Marco Lambertini said in a statement.
- “This is the first climate-smart landscape management plan for snow leopard conservation in the world and is evidence of the government of Nepal’s high level of commitment to this goal,” said Nepal’s Forests and Soil Conservation Secretary Prakash Mathema in a statement.
- “The plan addresses even the toughest challenges, including tackling the complex impacts of climate change. Nepal has once again established itself as a leader in conservation, showing much-needed ambition despite facing some of the toughest environmental, economic and political conditions,” WWF-Nepal Conservation Director Ghana S. Gurung said.
- Nepal, officially the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, is a landlocked central Himalayan country in South Asia
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Nepalese rupee
- Prime minister: Sher Bahadur Deuba
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
Indian Navy Band to Participate in International Military Music Festival in Moscow
- The International Military Music Festival “Spasskaya Tower” is the music of the military parade that is held in the russia and the many other parts of the country at the Red Square in Moscow. This Music Festival at where all the musician of the military musicians represents the variety of national, artistic and military traditions of the world.
- In every year there are about the 1500 musicians, military men and other artists from the 40 countries all over the world “Spasskaya Tower”. The Festival is celebrated as it is the largest international events in Russia and attracts tremendous response of the general public.
- “Spasskaya Tower” has been chosen for this event that is on the 24 Aug to 03 Sep 17. A Tri-Services band from the Indian Armed Forces has also been invited to participate and perform in the prestigious event. The participation of the Tri- Services Band will be the help of th bonding with the Armed Forces of the two countries and is also a befitting acknowledgment of the professional skills of the Indian Armed Forces bands.
- Moscow, on the Moskva River in western Russia, is the nation’s cosmopolitan capital
- In its historic core is the Kremlin, a complex that’s home to the president and tsarist treasures in the Armoury
- Outside its walls is Red Square, Russia’s symbolic center
- It’s home to Lenin’s Mausoleum, the State Historical Museum’s comprehensive collection and St. Basil’s Cathedral, known for its colorful, onion-shaped domes
- Area: 2,511 km²
9th meeting of Heads of Governments of SCO dealing with the prevention and elimination of emergency situation
- India on Thursday has given the statement for the help to the rescue team of the earthquake to the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) member nations, including China and Pakistan.
- Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh at Cholpon- Ata in Kyrgyz Republic said, “India warmly congratulates Mr Almazbek Atambayev, the President of Kyrgyz Republic and Minister Boronov for the excellent arrangements for this ninth meeting. I am told that the Experts Group meeting yesterday was also held with a great sense of camaraderie and purpose to develop a comprehensive agenda for prevention and elimination of emergencies.”
- “Over the period 1996 to 2015, the SCO countries have lost 300,000 lives to natural disasters. The economic losses from disasters are also extremely high and cascading. We are all exposed to a range of natural and man-made hazards. Natural events like earthquakes, floods, storms, landslides, epidemics etc are the major killers. The frequency and intensity of hydro-meteorological hazards is likely to rise in view of the climate change. If we do not make our communities, our capital assets, our economic activities resilient, disaster losses will continue to rise. For us in SCO nations, mitigating these risks is central to ensuring that our economic growth, our human development is sustainable.”
- We have invested heavily in developing international collaborative initiatives:
- “We have established the Tsunami Early Warning System for the Indian Ocean Rim Countries
- We have deployed our National Disaster Response Force in other affected countries for response operations
- We have hosted joint bilateral exercises with SAARC and BIMSTEC countries
- Last year we hosted the Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction
- And in May this year we launched the South Asia Geostationary Communication Satellite that will improve communication, weather forecasting, etc. among the South Asian countries”
BANKING & FINANCE
Airports Authority of India ties up with Ola, Uber
- Airports Authority of India (AAI) with the largest travveler company that is with the Ola and Uber to allow for cab bookings from airport kiosks.
- “This alliance with Ola and Uber shall also facilitate air passengers to book a cab through the booking kiosks located at the airports itself. This will reduce the hassle of waiting or moving out for such app based cabs,” AAI said in a Wednesday statement.
- “Bringing in leading cab service aggregators like Ola and Uber is a step in the direction of ensuring minimum hassle and better services to air travelers in India,” Guruprasad Mohapatra, chairman, AAI said in a statement.
- “We are encouraged by the collaborative step from the AAI… With a first of its kind partnership in India with mass air transit infrastructure, we expect to cater to (needs of) visitors from over 70 countries that use Uber in India,” Global Head of Business and Corporate Development at Uber David Richter said.
- Uber Technologies Inc. is an American technology company headquartered in San Francisco, California, United States, operating in 633 cities worldwide
- It develops, markets and operates the Uber car transportation and food delivery mobile apps
- Founded: March 2009, San Francisco, California, United States
- Headquarters: San Francisco, California, United States
- Revenue: 6.5 billion USD (2016)
- Number of employees: More than 12,000
- Founders: Travis Kalanick, Garrett Camp
- Subsidiaries: UberEATS, Otto, Geometric Intelligence Inc.
Andhra Pradesh first to implement Bharat QR digital payments to make Vizag less-cash city
- Andhra Pradesh’s Eastern Power Distribution Company Ltd (EPDCL) and the Southern Power Distribution Corporation of AP Ltd (SPDCL) has been become the first company that has the self stateown in the India to accept payments through Bharat QR, the world’s first interoperable quick response code acceptance solution launched by the Reserve Bank of India.
- Nara Lokesh, Minister of IT and Rural Development said, “We are proud to have EPDCL and SPDCL as the flagbearers of Chief Minister Naidu’s vision to make Vizag, India’s first less–cash city and the FinTech Valley of India. Andhra Pradesh power distribution companies are setting an impressive example for discoms across India to adopt similar systems. Further, in keeping with the promotion of digital payments, we are exploring the possibility of abolishing surcharge levied to consumers on digital payments. Digitization of transactions will ultimately lead to a reduction of costs for all stakeholders involved,”
- T R Ramachandran, Group Country Manager, Visa, India and South Asia, said, “Visa got a good opportunity to steer the launch of BharatQR, that can help achieve India’s less-cash vision. A low cost acceptance solution, BharatQR has the potential to drive payment digitization at scale, and be a convenient way to pay and get paid for both consumers and merchants alike. Further, digitization of such citizen to government payments at scale, would significantly help reduce India’s net cost of cash estimated to be 1.7% of its GDP, while accelerating the country’s economic growth.”
- Andhra Pradesh is a state bordering India’s southeastern coast
- Major cultural landmarks include Tirumala Venkateswara Temple, an ornate hilltop shrine to Hindu’s Vishnu, in the southern part of the state
- It’s visited by tens of millions of pilgrims annually
- The major northern port of Visakhapatnam has popular beaches like Ramakrishna and Rishikonda lining the Bay of Bengal, offering spots for swimming and surfing
- Largest city: Visakhapatnam
- Literacy rate: 67.41% (2011)
- Districts: 13
- Capitals: Hyderabad, Amaravati
- Points of interest: Venkateswara Temple, Tirumala, Belum Caves
Science and Technology
Tata Power synchronises its 186 MW hydro project in Georgia
- Tata Power has announced that it has get the agreement with the company, Adjaristsqali Georgia LLC (AGL) that will have developed some of the 186 MW Shuakhevi Hydro Project in Georgia. AGL is a Tata Power joint venture with Norway’s Clean Energy Invest AS Norway (Clean Energy) and IFC InfraVentures (IFC), a member of the World Bank group.
- “Tata Power, through Adjaristsqali Georgia LLC (AGL), its joint venture with Norway’s Clean Energy Invest AS Norway (Clean Energy) and IFC InfraVentures (IFC), a member of the World Bank group, have synchronised its 186 MW Shuakhevi Hydro Power Project (HPP) in Georgia. Tata Power has also commenced stabilisation procedures to ensure smooth operations for the project, which commenced construction activity in 2013, ” the company said in a statement.
- “We continue to strengthen our international presence and look for viable business opportunities across select international geographies. We have also commenced stabilisation procedures that will ensure uninterrupted power supply,” said Tata Power CEO and Managing Director Anil Sardana.
- AGL Chief Executive Prashant Joshi said, “the Shuakhevi project will contribute significantly to the energy independence of Georgia.”
- Georgia, a country at the intersection of Europe and Asia, is a former Soviet republic that’s home to Caucasus Mountain villages and Black Sea beaches
- It’s famous for Vardzia, a sprawling cave monastery dating to the 12th century, and the ancient wine-growing region Kakheti
- The capital, Tbilisi, is known for the diverse architecture and mazelike, cobblestone streets of its old town
- Capital: Tbilisi
- Currency: Georgian lari
- Ethnic groups (2014): Georgians – 86.8%; Azerbaijanis – 6.2%; Armenians – 4.5%; Others – 2.8%
- Official language: Georgian
Former England captain Wayne Rooney retires from international football
- England’s the head of the goal scorer the Wayne Rooney has been retired from international football after he get turn at the chance of the squad for next month’s World Cup qualifiers.
- “It was great that Gareth Southgate called me this week to tell me he wanted me back in the England squad for the upcoming matches. I really appreciated that,” said Rooney in a statement sent to Press Association Sport.
- “Having already thought long and hard, I told [England manager] Gareth [Southgate] that I had now decided to retire for good from international football,” Rooney said in a statement on his website.
- “It is a really tough decision and one I have discussed with my family, my manager at Everton and those closest to me.”
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Buffon, Ramos, Modrić and Ronaldo win positional awards
- The winners of the UEFA has been announced on Thursday’s 2017/18 UEFA Champions League group stage draw in Monaco.
- By the report there were the Real Madrid dominate the honours list. In the last season Madrid has come at the first position to become the UEFA Champions League and the win the trophy, with captain Ramos, playmaker Modrić and top scorer Ronaldo all playing a key role in their campaign.
- The man Ronaldo has beaten the twice in the 4-1 final defeat of Juventus – Bianconeri keeper Buffon – picks up the other award.
Award winners’ 2016/17 UEFA Champions League stats
- Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
- Appearances: 12
- Minutes: 1080
- Clean sheets: 9
- Goals conceded: 7
- Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
- Appearances: 11
- Minutes: 1001
- Clean sheets: 1
- Goals conceded: 14
- Goals: 1
- Assists: 3
- Luka Modrić showreel
- Luka Modrić (Real Madrid)
- Appearances: 11
- Minutes: 983
- Goals: 0
- Assists: 1
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
- Appearances: 13
- Minutes: 1200
- Goals: 12
- Assists: 6
India’s oldest cinematographer Ramananda Sengupta dies at 101
- India’s oldest cinematographer Ramanda Sengupta, who has worked with the great actors like the Jean Renoir, Ritwik Ghatak, and Mrinal Sen, has died at the age of 101 in Kolkata on Wednesday, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said in a statement.
- Sengupta has been worked with the camera and behind the scene mostly in the 70 films, including Shilpi, Nishithe, Bindur Chhele, Personal Assistant, Headmaster and Teen Bhubaner Pare. He has worked with the great, French director Jean Renoir, Ritwik Ghatak, Mrinal Sen and Utpal Dutt, among others.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banjerjee said his death was an irreparable loss for the world of cinema. “I pray that his soul rests in peace,” she said. “I extend my sympathies to his bereaved family.”
Go Topless Day
- Go Topless Day which is also known as the National Go Topless Day and International Go Topless Day is celebrated annually and the main aim to support and courage the right of women to go topless in public on gender-equality grounds.
- On this day that is celebrated by being the topless freedom laws or are held protests in states where it is prohibited that women could walk, run or be topless like men can do.
- Date- Sunday nearest August 26 (Women’s Equality Day)
- Inaugurated- 2007; 10 years ago (established), 2008; 9 years ago (first observance)
- Organized by- GoTopless