Cabinet Approves Protection of Human Rights (Amendments) Bill, 2018
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given the approval for the Protection of Human Rights (Amendments) Bill, 2018 for better protection and promotion of human rights in the country.
- It proposes to include “National Commission for Protection of Child Rights” as deemed Member of the Commission;
- It proposes to add a woman Member in the composition of the Commission;
- It proposes to enlarge the scope of eligibility and scope of selection of Chairperson, National Human Rights Commission as well as the State Human Rights Commission; and
- It proposes to incorporate a mechanism to look after the cases of human rights violation in the Union Territories.
- It proposes to amend the term of office of Chairperson and Members of National Human Rights Commission and State Human Rights Commission to make it in consonance with the terms of Chairperson and Members of other Commissions.
The Amendment will give the strengthen the Human Rights Institutions of India further for effective discharge of their mandates, roles and responsibilities. Moreover, the amended Act will be in perfect sync with the agreed global standards and benchmarks towards ensuring the rights relating to life, liberty, equality and dignity of the individual in the country.
Piyush Goyal Launches UTTAM APP for Coal Quality Monitoring
The Union Minister for Railways and Coal Shri Piyush Goyal today launched UTTAM App for Coal Quality Monitoring. UTTAM stands for – Unlocking Transparency by Third Party Assessment of Mined Coal (uttam.coalindia.in).Specific benefits of the UTTAM App would be
- For Subsidiary structure : The information about subsidiary wise declared GCV will help citizens and coal consumers to compare and assess the coal quality coming from a particular mine. It will provide a proper mapping of declared grade of coal dispatch to the consumers.
- For Coal consumer portal – The portal would give detailed information for coal consumers regarding the Third Party Sampling parameters. The App will give access for monitoring coal quality to individual coal consumers.
The salient features of UTTAM APP are:
- Sampling Coverage – The App provides coverage of Third Party Sampling which includes information on production, dispatch and quantity sampled of coal.
- Subsidiary wise quality parameters – An interactive map based view provides holistic coverage of coal quality across subsidiaries, along with subsidiary details on quality parameters (Declared Gross Calorific Value [GCV], Analysed GCV) and coverage parameters (Locations, Quantity sampled).
- Declared Vs Analysed GCV – With CIL’s aim of having minimum variation between declared and analysed GCV of coal, an accurate representation of the same is incorporated in the App.
- Complaints pertaining to quality of Coal – Complaints are reflection of coal quality and transparency in the coal ecosystem. The App reflects the trend of complaints, which validates CIL’s efforts for quality improvement through Third Party Sampling.
- With the reduction in imports and gap minimising between analysed and declared grade, the reduction of complaints have been observed.
- Sampled volume – The App presents the latest quantity sampled in the power and non-power sector, bringing transparency in the coal quality assessment system.
- Imports of coal – The amount of coal imported is a clear reflection of the quality of coal that is produced within the country. The trend of coal imports over the last years is presented in the App.
EAM Sushma Swaraj on 3-Day Visit to Azerbaijan
- External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj on Wednesday has set the three days visit at the Azerbaijan’s capital city Baku to participate in Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Ministerial Conference.
- The NAM Mid-Term Ministerial conference has been going to held on the two day that is the 5-6 April under the theme of “Promoting international peace and security for sustainable development”.
- At the time of the visit, EAM will take the bilateral consultations with her Azerbaijani counterpart Elmar Mammadyarov on April 4, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said in a statement.
- Both of the country has been going to talk on the bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest.
Russia Starts Building Turkey’s 1st Nuclear Power Plant
- The Turkish Atomic Energy Authority (TAEK) on Thursday has awarded a construction licence for Akkuyu NPP, Turkey’s first nuclear power plant that has been constructed in Mersin province, in southern Turkey.
- The USD20 billion project that will construct the, 4800 MWe plant is part of Erdogan’s ‘2023 Vision’ marking 100 years from the founding of modern Turkey and is intended to reduce the country’s dependence on energy imports. The first unit has been set the time to start operations that year, with the other three units following by the year 2025. The plant is expected to meet some of the 10% of Turkey’s electricity needs.
- Erdogan has said that between the year 2003 and the year 2017, the Turkish economy had grown on average by 5.8% and in the last year alone by 7.4%. As the country has get growth and has become the ten richest countries in the world, energy supplies will be “crucial” and the new nuclear power plant “of great importance”, he added.
- “Currently, 31 countries produce a significant amount of electricity from 450 nuclear power plants. In addition, in 16 countries, 55 nuclear power plants are under construction. And today we can say that the Akkuyu power station, the foundation of which we are laying today, is the 56th,” he said.
BANKING AND FINANCE
1st Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement Released by RBI
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Thursday has been come in the term of key rates citing uncertainties over inflation, that would be in the fueled by rising crude oil prices, fiscal slippages and higher prices of food grain.
- The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) that is headed by RBI Governor Urjit Patel expects the growth rate has been increases to 7.4 percent in the year 2018-19, up from 6.6 percent last fiscal, ended the month of March 31, that is on the term of the investment activity.
- In term of the values, the MPC lowered retail inflation target for the first half of current fiscal to 4.7-5.1 percent on sharp moderation in food price rise.
- The status quo policy of RBI has been going to blank EMIs for housing and vehicle loan borrowers, but banks has full of the ability like the both deposit and lending rate depending on their asset liability position.
Flipkart Partners with MakeMyTrip to Offer Travel Services
- In term of the report that has revealed by the Flipkart was looking to foray into the online travel aggregator (OTA) space, the homegrown ecommerce unicorn has now forged a strategic partnership with MakeMyTrip.
- It is the part of the renowned, Flipkart will, henceforth, offer travel services on its platform. Additionally, under the tie-up, all offerings of three of MakeMyTrip’s brands – MakeMyTrip, Goibibo and redBus – will now be available to Flipkart consumers.
- In term about the development, Kalyan Krishnamurthy, CEO of Flipkart said, “Flipkart and MakeMyTrip have played a defining role in shaping the consumer internet ecosystem in India and bringing millions of people online. This strategic partnership helps us make travel booking a seamless experience for customers, even those in the farthest regions, while also furthering our goal of being a one-stop destination for all digital transactions online.”
CWG 2018: Mirabai Chanu Wins India’s First Gold Medal
- Weightlifter Khumukcham Sanjita Chanu has clinched the second of the gold medal of the year 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast City, Australia by dominating the women’s 53kg event at the Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre on Friday.
- She get won in that at where in the last year she won gold in the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships, she is 24-year-old and hails from the Manipur broke the existing CWG record with a lift of 84kg in the snatch category and then lifted 108 in the clean & jerk to finish with a combined effort of 192kg.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Himanta Biswa Sarma Elected BAI President
- Himanta Biswa Sarma was on Tuesday has chosen for the president of Badminton Association of India during its elective yearly general body meeting in Calangute.
- Sarma, a Cabinet Minister in Assam, has been chosen for the time of the four years. He has taken the charge as the interim President of BAI last year after the demise of Akhilesh Das Gupta.
- Ajay Singhania of Haryana Badminton Association was chosen as General Secretary after defeating K K Sharma of Rajasthan Badminton Association.
Malayalam actor Ajith passes away
- Malayalam actor Kollam Ajith has been died at the age of 56 years on Thursday morning.
- Kollam Ajith has created his fame with the Padmarajan’s 1983 film Parannu Parannu Parannu. This actor has been seen in the role of the villain and the supporting actor; he played the lead role in 1989 film Agnipravesham.