Who will stop the BJP? No one in sight
- After the enormous victories of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the UP assembly and Delhi municipal elections, the party increasingly appears to be politically invincible.
- The AIADMK has all but collapsed after former Chief Minister Jayalalitha’s death, the BJD has suffered serious reverses in the local polls and is feeling distinctly nervous while the Trinamool Congress has shot itself in the foot by its rather too soft a policy towards the Muslims, thereby alienating the Bengali middle-class Hindus, while several of its prominent personalities have become embroiled in scams.
- The prime minister, therefore, has been speaking more about a pro-poor thrust a la Indira Gandhi than about rapid growth.
- So, who will stop the BJP? Not only is there no one in sight, but there is little chance of the opposition parties being able to put together an anti-BJP combine because of their fractious internal relations.
- BJP (Bhartiya Janta Party) Founded – 6 April 1980 (37 years ago)
- Headquarters – 11 Ashoka Road, New Delhi
- President – Amit Shah
- Parliamentary Chairperson – Narendra Modi
India needs a security and privacy law: Nandan Nilekani, former chairman, UIDAI
- Demonetization has decreased the time, for digital migration from the years to month, according to the former chairman of UIDAI Nandan Nilekani, who believes India needs to provide an advance data protection, Security and Privacy law to deal with the data deluge.
- On Thursday the Nilekani, 61 told to ET in an interview that to also create a digital literacy the legislation is vital, so that the peoples of country are aware of what digitization means.
- On July the goods and services Tax came into force, has already seen more than 5 million businesses register on its platform, GST network.
- The demonetization move in November 2016 and the BHIM app have similarly pushed people to transact online.
- He said that “India is a unique opportunity to draft a very modern data protection and privacy Bill which can be superior to what is happening elsewhere in the world.”
- Nandan Born – 2 June 1955 (age 61)
- Political Party – INC
- Residence – Bangalore
No Talks with Separatists in Jammu and Kashmir, Centre Tells Supreme Court
- The Union government made is stand clear and repeated that there will not be any talks with separatists or those increasing slogans of “accession or Azadi” in Jammu and Kashmir.
- On Friday the Centre informed the supreme Court that a dialogue to restore normalcy only with the legally recognized stakeholders or political parties.
- The top court’s observation came after Mr Rohatgi said “the government would come to the negotiation table only if the legally recognized stakeholders participate in the dialogue and not with the separatist elements who rake up the issue of accession or Azadi in Kashmir.”
- The Jammu and Kashmir High Court had on September 22 rejected the plea attempt a ban on use of pellet guns on the ground that the Centre had already constituted a Committee of Experts through its memorandum of July 26, 2016 for exploring alternatives to pellet guns.
- Supreme Court of India Established – 1 October 1937 (79 years ago)
- Location – Tilak Marg, New Delhi, India
- Judge term length – 65 years of age
Judge Who Granted Bail to Rape-Accused Samajwadi Party Leader Gayatri Prajapati Suspended
- On Friday the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court suspended the additional sessions Judge Om prakash Mishra after he given a bail to rape accused Samajwadi Party leader Gayatri Prajapati.
- Earlier on Wednesday it’s released that the Prajapati was arrested for a case of an alleged assault of a minor girl from the district Jail in Lucknow.
- Sooner the Prajapati has given a bail. The court asked them to pay 1 lakh each and a personal bond of same amount as a condition of bail.
- In the Complaint the Woman has said that she was ganged-raped from October 2014 to July 2016. When the accused attempt to molest her daughter, she wrote a letter in October 2016 to the DGP demanding action.
- Two associates of Prajapati were also given bail. The court asked them to pay Rs 1 lakh each and a personal bond of same amount as a condition of bail.
- Gayatri Prasad Prajapatiis a leader of Samajwadi Party and was a cabinet minister in the government of Uttar Pradesh led by Akhilesh Yadav. He held the ministry of Transport.
Global Economy Week ahead: EU readies united Brexit front, bets on Macron
- European Union leaders may have feared the worst for 2017 but in the coming days they can demonstrate a united front on Brexit, watch the bloc’s economic recovery strengthen further and likely avoid an electoral earthquake in France.
- In a year laden with potential risks, Europe has so far cleared an electoral hurdle in the Netherlands, produced a string of mainly positive economic news and put pressure on the European Central Bank to end its massive monetary stimulus.
- On Thursday Ministers in charge of the Brexit talks made no changes to draft guidelines indicating few major differences had emerged, at least for now, one month after Britain triggered the two-year divorce procedure.
- On Fridays Data is appeared to broadly back that up with weaker-than-expected gross domestic product expansion of 0.3 percent in France offset by booming 0.8 percent growth in Spain.
- “The U.S. central bank remains on course for monetary policy normalization,” Commerzbank Bernd Weidensteiner said, anticipating two more rate hikes this year.
- Global economy is an economy of the world, considered as the international interchange of goods and services that is expressed in monetary units of account.
Donald Trump to order review of trade agreements, WTO
- The U.S. President Donald Trump was set to sign an executive order issuing directions to review all international trade agreements inked by the US, including the WTO, in a bid to address trade “violations and abuses”.
- On Friday the US Commerce secretary Wibur Ross said that “It calls for a report within 180 days. It calls for not just outlining the problem or problems, but also proposing the alternative solutions to them.”
- In this evening, Mr.Trump was scheduled to sign the order on Establishment of Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy. ”The executive order will address specifically violations and abuses under existing trade agreements and that is what differentiates it from some of the earlier ones,” said Ross.
- Ross also said “That’s why the trade actions are being brought, there’s more and more dumping all over the place, but there’s an institutional bias on their part toward the exporters rather than toward people who are being beleaguered by inappropriate imports.”
- WTO (World Trade Organization) Formed – 1 January 1995; 22 years ago
- Headquarters – Centre William Rappard, Geneva, Switzerland
- Budget – 196 million Swiss francis
IB demands highest security cover for Turkish President Erdogan’s India visit in wake of ISIS threat
- On Sunday the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan arrives in New Delhi on a two-day visit, the intelligence bureau has directed security agencies to certify that he will be provide the highest security cover in the wake of threats from ISIS.
- The IB has even demanded that his aircraft be guarded at all times during his stay in the capital. For a special request to allow officer deployed of his personal security to carry weapons has also been placed.
- As there is a high security threat perception for President Erdogan, his personal security officers will be allowed to carry 20 highly-sophisticated weapons and communication equipment during his tour.
- The country also recently concluded its constitutional referendum and victory of President Erdogan may drive him to sharpen the action against Kurds and his opponents, hence making him prone to enhanced danger from Kurds.
- Intelligence Bureau is India’s internal intelligence agency.
- It was formed on 1887.
- Headquarters – New Delhi, India
- Annual budget – US$244.0 million
‘Peace alone is holy’: Pope Francis denounces violence during Egypt visit
- Pope Francis pleaded for peace in a visit to Egypt as he attended a service in solidarity with the embattled Coptic minority at a church bombed by the Islamic State group.
- The Pontiff walked has walked to the Saint Peter and Saint paul church has been bombed by the Islamic Country.
- IS claimed that the Security forces in the capital were on high alert under a state of emergency following a series of church bombings.
- In the last December, the Saint Peter and Saint Paul church itself been targeted by a suicide bomber attack that had killed 29 people.
- In a speech to a Muslim-Christian conference, the 80- year-old pontiff denounced violence and populism.
- A Francis said that “Peace alone… is holy and no act of violence can be perpetrated in the name of God, for it would profane his name.”
- Francis Born – 17 December 1936 (age 80)
- He is a current pope of the Roman Catholic Church, a title he holds ex officio as Bishop of Rome, and Sovereign of Vatican City.
Google CEO Sundar Pichai received nearly US $200 million salary last year
- The 44-year-old, Google CEO Sundar Pichai has received money around $200 million in Compensation last year, double the amount he got in 2015, for running the internet company that makes almost all the money for alphabet Inc.
- Pichai received a salary of US $650,000 last year, slightly less than the US $652,500 he earned in 2015.
- The Pay most consisted of alphabet stock that the company valued at $198.7 million in securities documents that filed on Friday. In January 2016 the Alphabet grant the award to Pichai, a few months after he succeeded Larry page as Google CEO.
- In 2016, Google released new smartphones, a virtual reality headset, a router, and a voice controlled smart speaker. These efforts have begun to pay off for the company. Google’s “other revenues”, a category that includes hardware and cloud services, hit around $3.1 billion in the most recent quarter, a receive of about 50% from the same quarter a year earlier.
- In a report it said that the Alphabet’s stock has soared this year, pushing it above a $600 billion market cap this week for the first time.
- Google Founded – September 4, 1998; 18 years ago
- Founders – Larry page, Sergey Brin
- Headquarters – Googleplex, Mountain View California
- Google is a multinational technology company specializing in Internet related services and Products.
Tata-Docomo case: Here’s how Delhi HC order will help similar stalled deals
- The Delhi High Court’s Friday judgment clearing theDoCoMo transaction will have a far-reaching bump on similar cases where foreign investors are focusing to exit Indian joint ventures the cases where an overseas arbitration court has granted an award in favor of a foreign investor.
- Many private equity firms and insurance majors were focusing to exit their investments in India and had signed similar agreements with agreed valuations but due to the Foreign interchange Management Act, which bars predetermined valuations, they were attached with their investments in India, said the Corporate lawyers.
- According to the 2009 contract between Tata Sons and Docomo, the Tatas were to buy back Docomo’s shares at a minimum of 50% of the value thatDocomo was paying while buying share in Tatas services.
- Lawyers said the fact that under a new leadership, the Tatas agreed to settle the issue with Docomo, which helped the clearance of the $1.2 billion damages to
- Tata DoCoMo Founded – November 2008
- Headquarters – New Delhi, NCT, India
- Tata DoCoMo is an Indian mobile network operator, which is a joint venture between Tata Teleservices and NTT DoCoMo.
Challenge for GST: How to process 3.5 billion invoices every month
- India is scrambling to finalize technology to process as many as 3.5 billion invoices each month as it moves to roll out a landmark nationwide sales tax from July 1.
- The success of one of the world’s largest and most complex tax reforms depends on the glitch-free performance of the goods and services tax network
- The system is expected to process 3.5 billion invoices every month, with the country’s 8 million direct taxpayers required to file up to 37 tax returns in a year.
- Kumar said that “India’s GST is the most complex of all the countries which have implemented GST.”
- GST is an indirect taxation in India combining most of the existing taxes into single system of Taxation.
Arun Jaitley calls for expeditious use of penalising power by ED
- On Saturday the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley advocated expeditious use of penalizing power by the Enforcement Directorate to deal with any non-compliance of the laid-down rules.
- Speaking at the Enforcement Directorate Day, he said the interest of the larger public takes a hit when people indulge in non-compliance and hence, the revenue department and the ED have a key role to play to catch offenders.
- Jaitley said that “there is an expectation of compliance and in the event of non-compliance, there is this power of penalizing that the ED has this power has to be expeditiously used whenever violations are detected”.
- Arun jaitley Born – 28 December 1952
- Political Party – Bharatiya Janata Party
Oscar-Winning director Jonathan Demme dies at 73
- The Oscar Winning director, Jonathan has passes away On Wednesday morning in New York. He was 73 year old.
- According to Indiewire, Jonathan Demme cause a cancer and a heart disease.
- A personable man with the curiosity gene and the what-comes-next instinct of someone who likes to both hear and tell stories, Mr. Demme had a good one of his own, a Mr. Deeds kind of tale in which he wandered into good fortune and took advantage of it.
- Until his death the director was worked well and good. He was recently directed an episode of the Fox drama Shots Fired, and directed two films in the last 2 years.
- Born – 22 February, 1944
- Education – Southwest Miami High School
SpaceX set to launch US spy satellite on Sunday
- On Sunday the SpaceX is going to Launch a classified mission for the US National Reconnaissance office.
- SpaceXFalcon 9 rocket will deliver the spy satellite, known as NROL-76, to orbit from historic Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
- On Sunday at 7 a.m. the 2 hours window launch open EDT. In a statement the SpaceX said that a backup launch window opens on Monday EDT.
- Unlike a commercial launches, SpaceX did not said how long it would take the satellite to deploy or to what orbit it will travel, the Los Angeles Times.
- SpaceX Founded – May 6, 2002; 14 years ago
- Headquarters – Hawthorne, California, U.S.
- Owner – Elon Musk Trust
No skeletal remains, but scientists retrieve DNA of human ancestors from caves
- The DNA of extinct human the scientist has successfully retrieved, ancestors from the cave with no skeletal remains, an advance that could shed new light into human evolution and history.
- From sediment samples gathered at seven archaeological sites, the researchers “fished out” tiny DNA fragments that had once belonged to a variety of mammals, including our extinct human relatives.
- The PhD student at the Max Planck Institute, name Viviane Slon said that “From the preliminary results, we suspected that in most of our samples, DNA from other mammals was too abundant to detect small traces of human DNA.”
- The samples are mostly originated from archaeological layers or sites where no Neanderthal bones or teeth were previously found.
Time travel is ‘possible’ — mathematically anyway
- Pull just out your list of regrets, mistakes and runs of just plain bad luck, because it turns out you can go back.
- The Math and Physics instructor Ben Tippett said that “People think of time travel as something fictional.”
- Tippett created a formula based on Albert Einstein’s theory of general relativity, which states that huge cosmic objects like stars and black holes distort space and time.
- So we can say they are progressing quite nicely toward making a time travel a reality, but it sure would be nice if someone from a future where they’ve already found out come back to in present time to help us.
- Time Travel is a concept of moment between certain points in time, analogous to movement between different points in space, typically using a hypothetical device known as a Time Machine, in the form of a portal connectivity distant point in time.
Sultan Azlan Shah Cup 2017: Indian Hockey Team Aim to Begin New Season On A High
- The new tactics and youngsters in the fold, theIndian senior men’s hockey team will hope to begin a new season on a high note.
- The first challenge is Sultan Azlan Shah Cup 2017, in Malaysia, which is the first major event in this year calendar for the Indian hockey team and getting off to a good start here will be critical in the lead-up to an all-important year where India play the Asia Cup and Odisha Men’s Hockey World League Final Bhubaneswar 2017.
- Manpreet Singh will be Sreejesh’s deputy and he will be joined by the experienced Sardar Singh, Chinglensana Singh Kangujam, Harjeet Singh, Sumit and Manpreet in the midfield.
- Hockey is a family sports in which two teams play against each other by trying to maneuver a ball or a puck in to opponents’ goal by using a hockey stick.
Ashish Nehra Turns 38, Wishes Galore On Social Media
- Ashish Nehra the Indian team fast bowler on Saturday turned 38 and was inundated with best wishes from the cricketing fraternity across the globe.
- Virender Sehwag led the pack in wishing the veteran pacer on the occasion, while former Australian all-rounder and current coach of Sunrisers Hyderabad, Tom Moody, too wished him in his own style.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) posted a picture of him with Harbhajan Singh and hash-tagged the birthday message with #HappyBirthdayNehraJi, which eventually Harbhajan retweeted.
- Aashish Nehra Born – 29 April 1979
- Bowling style – Left Arm medium-fast
- He is particularly effective with the new ball and at the death overs.
Stuttgart Open: Karolina Pliskova crashes out, Kristina Mladenovic to face Maria Sharapova in semis
- Last year’s runner up and home favorite, Laura Siegemund, upset second-seeded Karolina Pliskova 7-6 (3), 5-7, 6-3 at the Porsche Grand Prix in a match that lasted over three hours.
- Maria Sharapova won again to move into semi-finals after beating Anett Kontaveit of Estonia 6-3, 6-4 on Friday.
- Kontaveit had only five unforced errors in the first set, but Sharapova broke for 4-3 and won the next two games. The Russian broke early in the second set, too, and then again for 4-2.
- The Sharapova who won the indoor clay event three times from 2012-14 said that “I didn’t back off, I didn’t back down and those are kind of the moments that I like putting myself into.”
- Tennis First played – Between 1859 and 1865
- Tennis is a racket sport that can be played individually against a single opponent or also between two teams of two players each.