Day after Maoists kill 25 CRPF men in Chhattisgarh’s Sukma: Amid severe criticism, Modi govt vows action
- Maoist in Chhattisgarh massacred the 25 CRPF troopers, On Tuesday Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said that the strategy to root out left-wing extremism will be reviewed and a meeting of affected states has been convened on 8 May for the purpose.
- The Home Minister, who visited the state to pay gratitude to the 25 Central Reserve Police Force troopers killed at their camp, termed the massacre as a “cold blooded murder” and said that their sacrifice won’t go in vain.
- He also accused the Maoist of using tribals as cannon fodder.
- On Monday nearly 300 Maoist, including women, did a surprise attack a CRPF contingent in a forest patch in Chhattisgarh, Killing the troopers and escaping with their AK-47 assault rifles.
- “Both central and state governments “need to do serious introspection in the larger context and perspective” to find out why it has been “failing to handle the situation in the region,” said the CPI.
- CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) Formed – 27 July, 1939
- Annual Budget – US$2.8 billion
Diary Gate: CBI files FIR against its ex-chief Ranjit Sinha
- On Tuesday the CBI has registered an FIR against its former director Ranjit Sinha for enquiry the allegation that he influenced probe into the coal scam case.
- It was DNA that first reported on Sinha’s meetings with the accused in the coal block and 2G scams.
- According to report, the CBI has registered a case against Ranjit Sinha under section 13 which deal with “criminal misconduct” and section 13.
- The agency had registered 3 preliminary enquiries against unknown public servants, , inter alia, of the offences relating to allotment of coal blocks for the period from 1993 to 2005 and 2006 to 2009 and total 54 regular cases have also been files against public servants and private persons.
- Ranjit Sinha – 27 March 1953 (age 64)
- He was served as CBI.
- Years of service – 1974 – 2014
PM Modi Shimla visit: Clean-up drive in full swing as BJP leaders chip in
- The Visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Shimla, Senior BJP leaders, led by Union Health Minister J P Nadda and former Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, Tuesday joined the clean-up drive in Shimla, using brooms to sweep public places.
- State BJP of vice president said that the town which had witnessed deterioration of civic amenities, outbreak of jaundice and drinking water crisis”, Ganesh Dutt.
- Dhumla has also targeted the ruling congress government.
- He questioned that “When the Prime Minister had been giving much more than ever asked to the state, why go begging? The Congress government has done only two things increasing loans to push the state to debt trap and then blaming the Centre. Why can’t they learn to thank the PM?”
- Himachal Pradesh Capital – Shimla
- Governor – Acharya Dev Vrat
- Chief Minister – Virbhadra Singh
Significance of PM Modi’s Israel visit enormous: Israeli envoy
- On Tuesday Israel’s Ambassador to India Daniel Carmon called the coming visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Israel as enormously significant.
- On the importance of the bilateral defence relationship, the envoy said, “The defence relationship is there. It is not the only facet of our relation. In order to reflect the depth of our relation, we should be doing more in other areas.”
- Indiaand Israel are celebrating 25th year of their diplomatic relationship.
- On April 6 Israel Aeroscpace Industries declared the signing of Contracts worth $2 billion for the supply of medium-range surface-to-air missiles and the missile defence systems to the Indian Army.
- Israel Capital – Jerusalem
- President – Reuven Rivlin
- Currency – New Shekel
China launches first domestically-made aircraft carrier
- China has launched its first domestically build aircraft carrier, in a demonstration of the growing technical sophistication of its defence industries.
- On Wednesday Morning the 50,000 tonne carrier was towed from its dockyard following a ceremony in the northern port city of Dailan.
- The defence Ministry said that the main hull of the new carrier has been finished and its power supply put into place.
- Xinhua said that the ship launch “shows our country’s indigenous aircraft carrier design and construction has achieved major step by step results.
- China Capital – Beijing
- President – Xi Jinping
- Currency – Renminbi
EU to exclude financial services from post-Brexit deal
- The Reports of Media said that European Union (EU) reportedly intended to exclude the financial services sector from a trade deal withBritain after Brexit.
- On Tuesday the bloc’s new draft negotiating guidelines spelled out that anyfree trade deal that would allow the London continued access to EU markets would require that Britain continued to respect the EU’s regulatory and supervisory standards, according to Brussels-based online newspaper EUobserver.
- The Xinhua news agency reported that an earlier version of the guidelines only said that future trade agreement should “not endanger financial stability in the Union and encompass safeguards against unfair competitive advantages.
- On Thursday the New draft of guidelines will be discussed at a political level by European affairs minister, before being endorsed in Saturday’s summit.
- EU capital – Brussels
- President of the European Commission – Jean-Claude juncker
- Currency – Euro
Trump Is Expected to Sign Orders That Could Expand Access to Fossil Fuels
- After moving last month against Barrack Obama’s attempt to limit fossil fuel’s exploration and combat climate change.
- The US current President Donald Trump will finish his attempt to overturn environmental policy this week, signing two executives’ orders to enlarge the offshore drilling and roll back conservation on public lands.
- Trump, on Wednesday will going to sign an executive order directing his interior secretary, Ryan Zinke, to examination national monuments designated by previous presidents under the Antiquities Act of 1906, aiming to roll back the borders of protected lands and open them to drilling, mining and logging.
- The review of those monuments will include only designation made since 1996, stretching around 100,000 acres, said Mr. zinke.
- US capital – Washington, D.C.
- President – Donald Trump
- Vice president – Mike Pence
- Currency – US dollar
Donald Trump picks trade fight with Canada
- On Tuesday a Trade tensions spiked between Washington and Ottawa as President Donald Trump accused Canada of being “very rough” on its southern neighbor and threatened to retaliate against new restrictions on US dairy products.
- Trump has also touted his administration’s surprise decision late Monday to relight an old trade dispute with America’s second-largest trading partner by slapping new tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber.
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau responded to the unpredicted burst of tough rhetoric by vowing his government would be “very firm in defending Canada’s interests.”
- Ross said that “The problem with dairy isn’t that they’re dumping dairy products in the US. The problem is worse. They are prohibiting US dairy producers from selling their products in Canada.”
- It will behave a thorough investigation and confirm its position on the lumber tariffs by September 27, said the US Commerce department. If confirmed, the tariffs would then have to be accepted by the US International Trade Commission.
- Capital – Ottawa
- Prime Minister – Justin Trudeau
- Monarch – Elizabeth II
- Currency – Canadian Dollar
BANKING & FINANCE
IDFC Bank to expand mass retail share in 2-3 years, steer clear of infra: Chief
- The IDFC Bank is set up its banking operations in 2015, is aggressively betting on he “Bharat” banking segment for the next 2-3 years.
- The bank’s listing of the medium term aims, Rajiv Lall, MD and CEO of IDFC bank said that they have planned “to systematically build a mass retail bank in the next 24-36 months”.
- Last year in July, the bank bought the Tamil nadu-based Grama Vidiyal microfance business and has now named it IDFC Bharat which is managing as the bank’s wholly-owned subsidiary.
- “This does not rule out corporate growth but the bank will be cautious in keeping away from the currently troubled infrastructure sector,” said the Rajiv Lall.
- Its whole sale and corporate book has goes down to 54% from the 72% a year ago.
- The bank is expects its employee base to rise by about 2,000-3,000 to up to 10,000 this year.
- IDFC Founded – October, 2015
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Key People – Mr. Vikram Limaye (Managing Director & CEO), Mr.Vinod Rai (non – executive independent Chairman)
For the first time ever, Modi government plans to draw agricultural income into tax net
- Agricultural income should be taxed at the same threshold as personal income, the government thinktank, Niti aayog has proposed in its draft 3 year action plan.
- On Tuesday Niti Aayog member Bibek Debroy at a press briefing said that a Farm income could be evaluate for tax as a three-year average, making a case for widening the taxpayer base.
- The government plans to do away with personal income tax exception, an exercise that’s already under way for corporate income. However, taxing agricultural income would require an amendment to the Income Tax Act and cannot be purely an executive decision.
- In Between 2007-08 and 2015-16, an approximate 2,746 entities and individuals each announced agriculture income of at least Rs 1 crore.
- Narendra Modi the current prime Minister of India was born in 17 September 1950 (age 66).
- Political Party – BJP
- Residence – 7, Lok Kalyan Marg, New Delhi
Imported smartphones may get costlier by 5-10% as govt. plans to levy customs duty
- The move is targeted at giving teeth to local manufacturing and encourages companies like Apple to built phones in a country.
- This may lead to increase in prices of imported smartphones by 5-10%.
- The Economic Times has reported that the government is now contemplating to levy customs duty on imported mobile phones after the roll-out of Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- The Domestic handset is already enjoying a few exceptions like no countervailing duty on imported electronic components but they will not remain in the image once GST is executed.
- After many discussions for collaboration with Apple, India gave a go ahead to the i-Phone maker to assemble phones in India in February. This makes India the third country globally to produce Apple phones.
- GST is an indirect taxation in India combining most of the existing taxes into single system of taxation.
- The GST Council is governed the GST and its chairman is Union Finance Minister of India Arun Jaitley.
New Investment Avenue for the HNI’s as 1st InvIT gets launched
- There is a new investment avenue in the market which goes by the name of infrastructure investment trust fund, InvIT Fund in short.
- The IRB Infrastructure was launched the first InvIT Fund through an initial public offering which opens on May 3 and close on May 5.
- The Specialist is confident on InvIT as an investment option in general and IRB InvIT fund IPO in particular.
- Prem Khurana Said that “the investors are looking for stable revenue stream businesses or yield story can subscribe to this IPO.”
- IRB is plans to increase 4,300 crore through its InvIT Fund IPO. The effect is targeted at HNIs since the minimum application size is 10 lakh. Plus the investors in InvIT will be different from those in traditional equity markets and contain of those seeking regular cash-flow.
- IRB Founded – 1938
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Revenue – US$270 million
- IPO (Initial Public Offering) is a type of a public offering in which shares of a company usually are sold to institutional investors.
- Initial public offerings are mostly used by companies to increase the expansion of capital, possibly tomonetize the investments of early private investors, and to become publicly traded enterprise.
AWARD & RECOGNITION
Legendary filmmaker and actor Kasinathuni Viswanath conferred prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- On Monday it was declared that the eminent film director and actor Kasinathuni Viswanath will be granted the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, the country’s highest award in cinema.
- The award consists of a Swarn Kamal (Golden Lotus), cash prize of Rs. 10 lakhs and a shawl will be given by President Pranab Mukherjee on May 3 in the national capital.
- He was awarded as 5 national Awards, 20 Nandi Awards, and 10 Filmfare Awards. Viswanath has directed 50 films, known for their strong content, endearing narrative, honest handling and cultural authenticity.
- “Swati Mutyam” was his national award movie and also was India’s official entry to the academy awards in the Best Foreign category in 1987.
- Some of his major Hindi films include ‘Sargam‘, ‘Kaamchor‘, ‘Sanjog‘, ‘Jaag Utha Insan‘ and ‘Eeshwar‘.
- Dadasaheb Phalke Award was first awarded in 1969.
- Dadasaheb Phalke Award is an India’s highest award in Cinema.
- Dadasaheb Phalke was an Indian producer-director-screenwriter, known as the Father of Indian Cinema.
ISRO Solar Calculator App Launched to Calculate Solar Energy Potential of Your City
- ISRO the Ahmedabad based space Applications Centre has built an Android app, named solar calculator, for engaging the solar energy potential of any location.
- It said that the ISRO Solar Calculator app is considered to be a “very useful” tool for installation of photovoltaic (PV) solar panels that is used for tapping solar energy.
- The ISRO solar calculator app provides monthly and yearly solar potential in kWh/m2 and the maximum and the minimum temperature at any location.
- Using the Digital Elevation Model, the solar Calculator app can calculate the obstruction of sunlight and can be also recommend optimum tilt angle for the solar PV installation. The data given by the new ISRO app can be saved in PDF format.
- ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) Owner – Government of India
- Established – 15 August 1969
- Headquarters – Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Budget – US$1.4 billion
Discovery of plastic-eating caterpillar could prove a boon in waste disposal
- A Coincidental discovery of a caterpillar that eats plastic could one day this lead to the elimination of plastic waste, hope a researcher.
- Galleria mellonella who is the fast eating-caterpillar, a wax-worm, is sometimes used as a fish bait. The caterpillars also known to beekeeper as parasitic pests that lay eggs in hives where the offspring grow and feed on beeswax.
- “I said, ‘I was thinking perhaps you should use plastic bags that are not biodegradable,’ and then we just laughed about it,” he told CBC News. “One year later, she got in touch with me again and said, ‘Listen we’re having the same problem, but this time I’m sure they’re not biodegradable plastic.”
- But it’s known the caterpillars are able to break the extremely stable molecular chain in the polyethylene plastic, transforming the polyethylene to ethylene glycol, essentially breaking the bonded molecules. It’s the chain’s stability that makes plastic so difficult to break down in nature.
Cassini prepares for its ‘death dive’ into Saturn’s rings
- Currently the Cassini Spacecraft is falling steeply in to the gap between Saturn and its ring, a pioneering journey that could provide an unprecedented view of the planet.
- The first of the spaceship’s 22 deep dives between Saturn and its innermost ring begun today at 10am.
- On April 27, if a cassini will survive the trip, it could make a radio contact with earth as soon as possible 8:05 BST
- NASA said that ‘Images and other data are expected to begin flowing in shortly after communication is established.’
- On April 21 the spacecraft has made its 127th and final close approach to Titan passing at an altitude of about 608 miles above the moon’s surface.
- Cassini Mission Type – Saturn Orbiter
- Cassini operator – NASA/JPL
Fossil’ groundwater is not immune to modern-day pollution
- Groundwater that has lingered in Earth’s depths for more than 12,000 years is surprisingly vulnerable to modern pollution from human activities.
- Scott Jasechko said that “We can’t just drill deep and expect to run away from contaminants on the land surface.”
- Groundwater quenches the thirst of billions of people worldwide and accounts for roughly 40 percent of the water used in agriculture.
BCCI’s delay in announcement of Champions Trophy squad puts ICC’s new revenue scheme in trouble
- Is the Shashank Manohar formula which deprives BCCI and India of a substantial chunk of ICC revenue in trouble? The ICC meeting scheduled to be held in Dubai on Wednesday and Thursday would probably bury it, barring unforeseen backroom deals.
- The ICC revenue sharing model worked out in 2014 by N Srinivasan for the period 2015 to 2023 would have ensured that India got 570 million dollars of the 2.5 billion dollars.
- Australia, one of the Srinivasan-envisaged ‘big three’ nations did not gain or lose any money in Manohar’s plan of things while the other ‘big’, England, had its share decreased by a mere 25 million dollars.
- As the Dubai ICC meeting over the next 2 days goes beyond the mere revenue sharing.
- It could have lot of consequence which would influence cricket Worldwide. Even during this furious season of IPL all eyes are would naturally on it.
- ICC Champions Trophy First Tournament was held on 1998.
- Administrator – ICC (International Cricket Council)
- of teams – 8
Badminton Asia Championships: PV Sindhu moves into round 2, Saina bows out
- In Rio Olympic the silver medalist PV sindhu sail into the second round but compatriot saina Nehwal bowed out fighting in the Badminton Asia Champions On Wednesday.
- The world number three Indian defeated Dinar Dyah Ayustine of Indonesia 21-8, 21-18 in a lop-sided encounter that lasted just 31 minutes, while London Games bronze medallist lost to Japan’s Sayaka Sato 19-21, 21-16, 21-18 in the women’s singles after slogging it for more than an hour.
- Ajay Jayaram has defeated the Fifth seeded Houwei Tian of China 21-18 18-21 21-19 to progress to the second round of the men’s single event.
- In the mixed doubles event, Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Sikki N Reddy lost to Chinese top seeds Siwei Zheng and Qingchen Chen 15-21 21-14 16-21, getting knocked out in 50 minutes.
- Badminton First Played – 19th Century
- Badminton is a racquet sport played using racquets to strike the shuttlecock across the net.
Arsenal vs Leicester City Team News: Chamberlain to have late test, Morgan could start
- The gunners has been hoping to continue their recent run of 2 victories on the trot since the Arsene wager is decided to switch the position to a 3-4-3 to provide his side more stability, with the gunners’ new system allowing them to defeat the Manchester city 2-1 and progress to the FA cup final over the weekend.
- Arsenal team cannot manage any slip ups after a awful few months in which the gunners has looked lost at sea, existing the UEFA Champions League in humiliating fashion while also going through a poor run of form in the league, which has seen them to drop in the seventh position in the standings.
- Should Chamberlain be rested as a further precaution, Hector Bellerin could start in an unfamiliar right wing-back position. Wenger could also choose to rest Nacho Monreal and give Kieran Gibbs a run out; given how much football the Spaniard has been playing in recent weeks.
- Leicester City will be sweating on the fitness of Wes Morgan, who injured his hamstring during their quarter final exit to Atletico Madrid. Nampalys Mendy has also been ruled out for the season after a surgery, while Islam Slimani will also miss out with a groin injury.
- FA cup Founded – 1871; 146 years ago
- Region – England
- Organizing body – The Football Association