PM Modi bats for simultaneous elections, changing fiscal to January-December
- Today, The Prime Minister Narendra Modi Pitched for conducting simultaneous elections to the Lok Sabha and the state assemblies and shifting to January-December fiscal year.
- India has suffered from political and mismanagement and due to poor time management, many good initiatives and schemes had failed to deliver the anticipated results, said Modi.
- Modi has asked the states to makes legislative arrangement “without delay”for the roll out of the indirect tax regime from July 1.”
- ” New India” can only be realized through the combined efforts and cooperation of all the state,” said modi.
- Modi Born – 17 september 1950 (age 66)
- Political party – BJP
- Residence – 7, Lok Kalyan Marg, New Delhi
Tamil Nadu farmers call off protest, serving a grim reminder of how far removed state has become from India
- Mahatma Gandhi failed. Farmers from Tamil Nadu calling off their 100-day protest at Jantar Mantar is proof, if you needed one, that Gandhigiri doesn’t work in India anymore.
- The last 6 weeks, 100-odd farmers from Tamil Nadu, wrapping themselves with no more than a loincloth, had decrease themselves to a spectacle, compromising their sense of dignity.
- They tried to drink their own urine, ran naked in front of the prime minister’s residence, carried the skulls of their loved ones who had died or committed suicide since October last year, ate food served on the road, clutched live rats and dead snakes in their mouth.
- Pawan Kalyan has tweeted that “To keep Indian integrity intact, National parties #BJP, #Congress should stop their UP, Bihar and Delhi centric politics.” He again tweeted “Delhi alone is not India.”
- Capital – Chennai
- Governor – C. Vidyasagar Rao
- Chief Minister – Thiru Edappadi K. Palaniswami
Ruling party leaders resorting to violence, claims Vijay Sampla
- Coming out of the shock of worst-ever performance in the last 20 years, PunjabBJP is now trying to be offensive against the Congress
- Time has started to assess the performance of Amarinder Singh Government said the Union Minister of State and Punjab Chief Vijay Sampla in a chat with IP singh.
TRS expects huge crowd for public meet in Warangal on April 27
- On April 27 at Warangal Public meeting, the tractors with protective covering from the heat will transport the public to the TRS party’s foundation day celebrations.
- On Sunday if one were to go by transport minister Mahendra Reddy statement at party workers meeting, the public meeting is something that the nation would never seen before.
- At Jadcherla in Mahbunagar, health minister Laxma Reddy inspected tractors that would ferry party workers and the public to Warangal.
- A few thousand people are expected to travel in the tractors to Warangal.
- According to home Minister N Narasimha Reddy, Nearly 50,000 people from Hyderabad will attend the public meeting.
- TRS founded – 27 April 2001 (15 years ago)
- Founder – K. Chandrashekar
- Headquarters – Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, Telangana
Trump to insist on border wall funds as budget deadline looms
- On Sunday, the President of USA Donald trump is pressing for funding of a Mexico border as a looming appending showdown in congress threatens to close down the US government on the president’s 100th day in office.
- Building the wall was his sign campaign promise, and the white house visible determined to get Congress to accept a down payment as part of a bigger bill to keep the U.S. government funded.
- On Sunday Mr. Mulvaney said on Fox news that “don’t know yet.” And “We are asking for our priorities and importantly we are offering to give Democrats some of their priorities as well.”
- White House budget chief Mick Mulvaney said the administration is prepared to make concessions to Democrats on health care reform in order to get the wall money.
- Trump Born – June 14, 1946
- Political party – Republican
- Residence – White House
BEL, ECIL to make VVPAT machines
- The Union Cabinet fund allocations, the Election Commission has issued a letter of goal for buying 16.15 lakh voter-vertible paper audit trail machines.
- The machines will be procured in 2017-18 and 2018-19 at an estimated cost of ₹3,173.47 crore from the public sector undertakings Bharat Electronics Ltd. and Electronics Corporation of India Ltd.
- EC note said that “In its letter sent to the CMDs of ECIL and BEL on Friday, the commission has communicated its intent for purchase of 8,07,500 VVPATs from each of the PSUs by September 2018.”
- The EC also said that the commission shall closely monitor the production of VVPATs for timely delivery well before the Lok Sabha general elections in 2019.”
- “It will enhance transparency and uphold the voters’ right to know which party he or she has voted,” said the Chief Election Commissioner Nasim Zaidi, by Explaining the importance of this step.
- The VVPAT is a method of giving feedback to voters using a ballotess voting system.
Restored Saudi state perks may avert recession, help economic reforms
- The Decision by the Salman Saudi’s Arabia King to restore cuts to financial allowances for civil servants and military personnel is being seen as helping the kingdom avoid recession this year while smoothing the path toward economic improve.
- Last September, the government sharply decreased financial perks for employees in the public sector, where most Saudis work, in one of its most radical steps yet to curb a massive budget deficit caused by low oil prices.
- Riyadh cancelled that step On Saturday the first time it has restrained a major austerity policy since its budget crisis erupted 2 years ago.
- A 1.4% increase in the Saudi stock index today, led by retailing companies, showed investors expect a boost to consumer spending.
- Capital – Riyadh
- King – Salman bin Abdulaziz
- Currency – Saudi riyal
India is now world’s fifth largest defence spender
- On Monday the Stockholm International peace Research Institute revealed India’s military expenditure grew around 8.5% in 2016, making it the world’s fifth largest spender at $55.9 billion, figures released.
- The US remains the world’s largest military spender registering a growth of 1.7 per cent between 2015 and 2016 to $611 billion, as per the figure.
- Russia raised its spending by 5.9% to $69.8billion, making it the world largest spender.
- The third largest spender in 2015 is Saudi Arabia, dropped to the fourth position in 2016 with its spending dropping by 30% in 2016 to $63.7 billion, despite its continued involvement in regional wars
BANKING AND FINANCE
PM Narendra Modi’s push to make kitchens safer makes India No. 2 LPG importer
- India toppled Japan as the world’s second-largest importer of liquefied petroleum gas as Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s pledge to provide cooking gas cylinders to the poor and wean them off polluting fuels, drove up consumption.
- According to data from oil ministry’s Petroleum Planning & Analysis Cell, Imports of LPG, mostly used as cooking fuel, and soared 23% during the financial year that ended March 31 to 11 million tons.
- According to its Finance Minister, Japan’s import has slipped 3.2% during the identical period to 10.6 million tons.
- In May 2016 Modi’s government embarked on a drive to give free cooking gas connections to women from especially poor households, aimed at decreasing the use of polluting fuels such as wood and dried cow dung that, according to the World Health Organization, causes 1.3 million premature deaths in India every year.
- Liquefied Petroleum Gas, also referred to as simplypropane or butane, are flammable mixtures of hydrocarbon gases used as fuel in heating appliances, cooking equipment, and vehicles.
Special double-decker overnight AC chair car trains to be launched in July
- The senior Railway minister officer said, In July the Indian railways will launch a special double-decker, air-conditioned train service for overnight journeys on high-demand routes such as New Delhi-Lucknow.
- Dubbed the Utkrisht Double-Decker AC Yatri Express, or Uday Express, the train will not have sleeper berths but only comfortable reclining chairs. Each of the coaches in the train will seat 120 people and will have hot food and beverage vending machines.
- The Uday services will serve high- density routes like Delhi-Lucknow and the fare will be lower than that of the 3AC class in regular mail and express trains despite giving more and better amenities, said the official.
- The seat going to have sufficient leg space, and the interiors will be aesthetically designed to give a modern look. The Train declared in rail budget 2016-17 is designed to run at 110 Kms per hour.
- Indian Railways Founded – 16 April 1853 (164 years ago)
- Headquarters – New Delhi, India
- Owner – Govt. of India
- Net Income – $1.6 billion
MobiKwik, FreeCharge explore merger
- Between Flipkart and Snapdeal the Amid merger talks, Freecharge’s fate will also be decided soon.
- One person aware of the development told to VCCircle that the struggling digital payments arm of Snapdeal has been approached by a rival wallet company for a merger.
- Last week, the person said while requesting anonymity that Gurgaon-based mobile wallet firm MobiKwik had approached FreeCharge for a merger in an all-stock deal.”
- Mobikwik and Freecharge are both worth $300 million, each, and would get about 45-50% stake in the merged entity.
- Mobikwik Founded – April 2009
- Founder – Bipin Preet Singh, Upasana Taku
- Headquarters – Gurgaon
- Freecharge Founded – August 2010
- Founder – Kunal Shah, Sandeep Tandon
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
7th Pay Commission: Final report on allowances in next few days, maximum HRA likely to be Rs 60000
- People expected the Narendra Modi Government to be likely bring some good news or over 47 lakh central government employees and 53 lakh pensioners by making a formal declaration on the reassess structure for allowance under the seventh pay commission in next few days.
- On Thursday the committee on allowance will submit its final report, when the Finance minister Arun Jaitley returns to the country after his visit to Russia and US, as per the report of the Media.
- The Commission had also suggested that the rate of HRA will be revised to 27%, 18% and 9% when DA crosses 50%, and further revised to 30%, 20% and 10% when DA crosses 100%.
- After the revised pay scale, the new basic pay is Rs 2.5 lakh, for which the HRA would be Rs 60,000, meaning a hike of 122 percent.
NC leader Ali Mohammad Naik passes away
- Ali Mohammad Naik, the Senior National Conference leader and former speaker of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly was passes away on Friday evening. And He was 87 year.
- Naik, from Tral in south Kashmir’s Pulwana district, while being taken to the hospital he breathed his final breath and his relatives said that he was suffering from a Chest disease.
- Under the NC founder Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah, he was served as general secretary of plebiscite Front.
- In 2006 Naik was miserably injured in a militant attack in bus stand Tral.
- From Aligrah Muslim University Naik has finishes his BA and later LLB. Before joining politics Naik was worked as an Advocate for some years.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Venus mission: Isro invites proposals for space experiments
- This week,India’s mission to Venus moved a one step closer to reality with Isro inviting proposals for space-based experiments from scientists across the country.
- The payload capability of the Venus-bound satellite is anticipate to be 175 kg with 500W of power, according to the isro.
- Around Venus the orbit will be 500 X 60,000Km, which would gradually decrease over several months.
- The focus of the mission will be atmospheric and surface studies, Sun-Venus interaction, biology experiments and technology demonstration.
- Though it is an approved mission, the date of the launch is yet to be firmed up, an Isro official told TOI.
- Isro stated that “it is believed that both planet were formed at the same time around .5 billion years ago.”
- ISRO Established – 15 August 1969
- Owner – Government of India
- Headquarters – Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
- Budget – US$1.4 billion
Scientists stunned by huge discovery in Antarctica
- In Antarctica Scientist have just stumbled upon a major discovery, and an incredibly alarming one at that.
- Researchers at Columbia University’s Earth institute have found that melting is occurring at a much faster than had previously been thought, and it’s only likely to raised.
- The findings, which were published in the journal Nature, stated that there was a huge amount of meltwater drainage that was flowing in parts of Antarctica where they didn’t expect it.
- The lead author Jonathan Kingslake, a glaciologist at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory said that “ this is not in the future-this is widespread now, and has been for decades.”
- The authors found out by systematically cataloging images of surface water in photos taken from military aircraft from 1947 onward, and satellite imagery from 1973 on.
- Antarctica Population – 5,ooo temporary residents
- Area – 14,000,000km2
- About 98% of Antarctica is covered by ice that averages 1.9km (1.2 mi; 6,200 ft) in thickness, which extends to all but the northernmost reaches of the Antarcti peninsula.
NASA astronaut Peggy Whitson breaks US spaceflight record, surpasses Jeff Williams’ record
- On Monday, the Commander of the International Space Station’s Expedition 51 crew, Peggy Whitson officially set the US record for most accumulative days in space breaking the record of NASA astronaut Jeff Williams of 534 days.
- NASA’s page for updates from the International Space station said in a tweet that “At 1:27 a.m. ET on April 24, @AstroPeggy has officially broken @Astro_Jeff’s record of 534 days in space.”
- On her Twitter page Whitson wrote that “It is one of those rides that you hope never ends. I am so grateful for all those who helped me on each of my missions!”
- Trump will be joined by daughter Ivanka Trump and NASA astronaut Kate Rubins for the 20-minute call which will air live on NASA Television and stream on the agency’s website and Facebook page.
- Whitson Born – February 9, 1960 (age 57)
- Other occupation – Biochemist
- Her first mission was in 2002, with an extended stay aboard the International Space Station as a member of Expedition 5.
NASA’s Cassini Spacecraft to Take Slingshot Dive inside Saturn’s Rings
- News agency reported on Saturday that For the Last time on Saturday NASA’s cassini spacecraft soared past saturn’s biggest moon, tapping its gravity to slingshot into a series of exploratory dives inside the planet’s rings, followed by a final fatal plunge into the gas giant.
- After around 20 years of travelling in space Cassini used the gravitational tug of Titan, a moon resembling primordial Earth, to hurl itself into a new orbit that will pass through an unexplored region between Saturn’s cloud tops and its rings.
- In a statement NASA said that “Titan’s gravity will bend Cassini’s orbit around Saturn, shrinking it slightly, so that instead of passing just outside the rings, the spacecraft will begin its finale dives which pass just inside the rings.”
- By destroying the spacecraft, NASA will secure that any hitchhiking Earth microbes still alive on Cassini will not contaminate the moons for future study.
- Mission type – Saturn orbiter
- Operator – NASA/ JPL
- Launch date – October 15, 1997; 08:43:00 UTC
Lionel Messi overshadows Cristiano Ronaldo in El Clasico once again
- On Sunday night at the Santiago Bernabeu victory over 3-2 against Real Madrid inspire the Catalans, and Barcelona talisman Lionel Messi once again lived up to his reputation as the greatest footballer of his generation.
- Madrid captain Sergio Ramos was sent off for a two-footed lunge on Messi in the 77th minute and that left Barcelona in a strong position, until Rodriguez fired home at the near post.
- Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane said his teams were still in control and the result would not upset their title charge.
- Barca founded – 29 November 1899; 117 years ago
- President – Josep Maria Bartomeu
- Coach – Luis Erique
Happy Birthday Sachin Tendulkar: Memorable knocks from Master Blaster’s willow
- Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar the Father of Cricket hammering with the bar has been faced by all the team against who he has played.
- Starting his Test and ODI career against Pakistan, Sachin who made his international debut in 1989 became a household name at very younger age.
- Sachin scored his first hundred against England but his maiden ton against Pakistan took a bit of time. Tendulkar smashed 100 runs in 1996 in Singer Cup against Pakistan after opening the innings with Navjot Singh Sidhu. His hundred though went in vain as India lost the match by 8 wickets when Pakistan chased a revised target of 187 runs in 28 overs.
- Sachin has the most run in History of cricket until now.
- India was seeking a World cup win after 28 years in the 2011 edition and they met arch rivals Pakistan in the semi-final in Mohali. Opening the innings Sachin scored 85 runs during the course of 260 runs in 50 overs. The innings though wasn’t a confident one from the Master Blaster as he was dropped four times but it eventually proved costly for Pakistan who lost the match by 29 runs. India later won the final and lifted the ultimate achievement.
- Cricket Highest Governing Body is International Cricket Council (ICC).
- First played – 18th Century
101-year-old Man Kaur wins gold in 100 metres sprint
- On Monday at the World Masters Games in Auckland 101 year old Man Kaur celebrated the winning the 100 meters sprint, the 17th gold medal in the Indian athlete’s remarkable late-blooming career.
- Kaur clocked one minute 14 seconds as a small crowd cheered her on ending a mere 64.42 seconds off Usain Bolt’s 100m world record set in 2009.
- Participation, not racing the clock, is the priority for Kaur, who has been dubbed the “miracle from Chandigarh” in New Zealand media.
- Only eight years ago Kaur has took up athletics, at the tender of age of 93. She had no prior sporting experience before her son Gurdev Singh recommend that she join him in competing on the international masters games circuit.
- The World Masters Games is an international multi-sport event held every 4 years which, in terms of competitor numbers, has developed into the largest of its kind.