Aadhaar-PAN linkage move panned by Supreme Court
- Less than a month after it said nothing prohibited the government from making Aadhaar mandatory for non-welfare purposes, on Friday the Supreme Court has questioned the Centre for creating the unique biometric identity card a must for filing of tax returns and obtaining PAN.
- Rohatgi had earlier said that mandatory seeding of PAN numbers with Aadhaar done through the latest Finance Bill which inserted Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act was a “legislative mandate”. He also remember that the apex court had made Aadhaar mandatory for procuring SIM cards to check abused and protect national security.
- On April 25, the bench headed by Sikri said it would hear dispute on the plea challenging the government’s move making Aadhaar mandatory for PAN cards.
- Aadhaar was not necessary for availing essential services and, in August 2015, while asserting this, restricted its use to PDS and LPG schemes, said the Apex court in September 2013.
- Established – 1 October 1937 (79 years ago)
- Location – Tilak Marg, New Delhi
- Authorized by – Constitution of India
Yogi Adityanath removes Uttar Pradesh DGP
- On Friday Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath removed the general of Police Javeed Ahmed, replacing hm with 1980 batch IPS officer Sulkan Singh.
- In September Singh is likely to have a brief stint as the state police head as his Superannuation.
- After Yogi Adityanath assumed office, the ADG Daljit Singh Chowdhary and ADG Economic offence wing and logistic Aditya Mishra exchange places in the transfer which came a month.
- Besides 12 IPS officers, the Chief Minister also shifted seven IAS officers including Himanshu Kumar, S.V.S. Rangarao, Alok Kumar III, Ajay Kumar Shukla, Anurag Yadav, Santosh Kumar Yadav and Amit Mohan Prasad.
- Capital – Lucknow
- Governor – Ram Naik
- Chief Minister – Yogi Adityanath
Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad launches Pro bono Services, Legal Aid Schemes, Nyaya Mitra
- Today Minister of Law and Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad begin three welfare initiative of the Department of Justice.
- The services launched are ‘Pro-bono legal services’, ‘Tele-law service’ andNyaya Mitra.
- The Law Minister called for the legal fraternity to be more proactive in providing probono services, and highlighted the importance of giving identification to those who do so.
- Today another enterprise launched is Tele-law service, which aims to connect marginalized groups with lawyers through video conferencing facilities, to be set up at Common Service Centre’s.
- Pro bono legal counsel may assist an individual or group on a legal case by filing government applications or petitions.
EU foreign policy chief holds talks with Sushma Swaraj
- On Friday European Union foreign policy chief Fedeerica Mogherina held talks with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on a range of issues including on preparations for the annual India-EU summit scheduled to be held here later this year.
- Mogherini also held delegation-level talks with Minister of State for External Affairs M J Akbar during which they discussed progress on decisions taken during the annual summit in Brussels last year. Mogherina here on a two day Visit.
- The EU has been maintaining that expiry of the formal agreement will make it difficult for European countries to go for fresh investments in India. The body wants India to first give the extension to the pacts and then move ahead with BTIA.
- In Brussels the last EU-India summit the two sides had failed to make any declaration on resumption of the negotiations as many bottlenecks still remained.
- According to the EU, the country is among nations not considered data secure. The matter is critical as it will have a bearing on Indian IT companies wanting market access.
- Mogherina Born – 16 June 1973 (age 43)
- Political Party – Democratic Party
China wants India to be part of its new Silk Road project
- Today China said that it would like India to be part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) that seeks to link Asia with Europe, adding if a concern of sovereignty over the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor was a hurdle, they would be “resolved.”
- Liu Jinsong, minister at the Embassy of China said that “India is an important partner of the Belt and Road Initiative. It was remains and will be so in the future.”
- Liu also said that “Without hesitation, the Chinese side sincerely invites the Indian side to join many BRI forums, including the Forum to be held next month.”
- He was addressing a conference on “The Belt and Road Initiative: India’s perspectives on China’s aspiring plan for infrastructural connectivity in Asia, Africa and Europe,” organized by Observer Research Foundation here.
- The Silk Road was an ancient network of trade routes that were for centuries central to cultural interaction through regions of the Asian continent connecting the East and West and stretching from the Korean peninsula and Japan to the Mediterranean Sea.
BANKING & FINANCE
Capital first to raise $50 million from IFC
- Mumbai-based non-banking finance company Capital first is seeing to increase $50 million from International Finance Corporation.
- In a disclosure the IFC said that the funding will be used for lending to women-owned small and medium enterprises.
- Also the World Bank lending arm said that “This investment is part of IFC’s strategic target to reach 10 million MSMEs during FY17-21.”
- The companies said on Friday that the IFC and CFL are discussing a potential IFC advisory services project, which would help CFL strengthen its value proposition and business case for the women entrepreneurs.
- The company other shareholders include Financial investors such as Goldman Sachs Asset Management, GIC — the Sovereign Wealth Fund of the Government of Singapore, HDFC Standard Life, Government Pension Fund Global (Norges Bank Investment Management), Birla Asset Management, Ashburton, Ashmore and other global and local institutional investors.
- IFC Formation – July 20, 1956
- Headquarters – Washington D.C.
- Purpose – Private Sector Development, Poverty reduction
HDFC Bank headcount falls for 2nd quarter, down by 6,100 in Q4
- For the 2nd quarter in a row there was a huge drop in HDFC Bank’s headcount that came down by over 6,000 to 84,325 owing to raised digitalization in the March quarter and it anticipate the trend to continue.
- The 2nd largest private lenders senior management hinted this trend of falling staff strength may continue as greater efficiencies set in.
- In Mumbai the deputy managing director Paresh Sukthankar told to reporters that “This is really a function of…what is happening on the digital side. We do believe that with increased digitization, certain lines of transaction like counters, etc. actually reduce.”
- In fiscal 2017, the banks headcount declined by 3,230 to 84,325, while the same raised by 10,729 in the previous fiscal.
- HDFC founded – August 1994
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Key people – Aditya Puri
KKR sells 5.6% stake in Dalmia Bharat for Rs575 crore
- On Friday the global private giant equity sold a 5.6% stake in Dalmia Bharat for an approximately Rs 575 cr through an open market Transaction.
- The shares were purchased by a host of entities, including Kuwait Investment Authority, Birla Mutual Fund and Franklin Templeton Investment Funds.
- KKR Mauritius Cement Investments Ltd offloaded a total of 49,65,270 shares, amounting to 5.58 per cent stake, of Dalmia Bharat, according to the block deal data available with stock interchange.
- The deal had earned the private equity player a return of 2.4 times on its investment of Rs 500 crore it made in September 2010.Today the stock of Dalmia Bharat closed at Rs 2,048.95 on BSE, down 1.74% from the previous close.
- KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & co.) founded – 1976; 41 years ago
- Founder – Henry Kravis, George R. Roberts, Jerome Kohlberg, Jr.
- Headquarters – New York City, US
AWARD & RECOGNITION
Aamir Khan and Kapil Dev to get Dinanath Mangeshkar Award
- On April 24 ceremony, the Cricket Icon Kapil Dev and Actor Aamir Khan will going to receive the 75th Master Dinanath Mangeshkar Awards.
- The Aamir Khan will be honored with the Vishesh Purashkar for Best Film Dangal, while Kapil Dev for his great contribution to Indian Cricket.
- Apart from this two, other awardees include legendary actress Vyjayanthimala Bali, who will be honored with Master Dinanath Vishesh Puraskar for her achievements in Hindi cinema.
- Master Dinanath Smruti Pratishthan and Hridayesh Arts will going to be organized this event.
- Dinanath Mangeshkar Born – 29 December 1900
- Died – 24 April 1942
- He was a well-known Marathi Theatre Actor, a renowned Natya Sangeet musician and a Hindustani classical vocalist.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
B.N. Mohapatra appointed as Railway Financial Commissioner
- On Tuesday the Ministry said that the senior railway official B.N. Mohapatra has been appointed as the new financial Commissioner.
- Mohapatra, an officer of Indian Railway Accounts Service of 1980 batch, took over the charge on Monday.
- A statement of Railway Ministry said that prior to his posting; Mohapatra has served as additional member since November 1 2016.
- It added that “During his career, Mohapatra has worked on various higher and middle level management posts on the Indian Railways.”
- Indian Railway Founded – 16 April 1853 (164 years Ago)
- Headquarters – New Delhi, India
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Mobile subscriber base reaches 895.25 mn in March
- According to industry data, the mobile subscriber base seven telecom operators including Bharti Airtel and Vodafone, raised by 5.86 million in March to reach 895.25 million.
- The numbers include those of the latest entrant, Reliance Jio Infocomm as of December 2016. Excluding the data of the Mukesh Ambani-led firm, at the end of the March 2017 the total subscriber stood at 823.10 million.
- In a statement the cellular Operators Association said “the number of mobile phone subscribers showed an increase to 895.258 million in March 2017. The net increase in subscriber base is 5.68 million in the month of March.”
- In March The Maximum number of subscriber at o.86 million is added by the West Bengal and Andaman and Nicobr, hile UP East circle had the highest number of subscribers at 75.10 million.
Governments can no longer ignore climate change: UNFCCC Executive Secretary
- Mexican diplomat Patricia Espinosa took over the reins at the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) after the triumphant moment of 194 UN member nations coming cooperatively to accept the Paris Agreement in 2015 had handed.
- Since November eight final 1year, when weather skeptic Donald Trump ascended to the position of U.S. President, the temper in global climate coverage circles has turned sombre.
- Final month, the U.S. administration set out to undo Obama-era climate policies incentivizing clear strenght and curbing coal production, reviving fears that the Settlement may be fail to maintain world warming ranges under management as initially envisaged (U.S. is the second largest emitter of greenhouse gases on the earth).
- In a unique influence withThe Hindu, throughout her two-days go to India from April 18-19 in New Delhi, the seasoned diplomat spoke about why governments can longer ignore the matter.
- The UNFCCC executive secretary name is Karen Christiana Figueres.
- political Party – National Liberation Party
- Born – 7 August 1956 (age 60)
BCCI office-bearers overriding administrative panel in ICC revenue battle
- On Friday the committee of Administrators necessarily suggesting BCCI office against flatly opposing the International Cricket Council’s plan to roll back the controversial Big 3 revenue and administrative model initiated by India in 2014.
- During a meeting with BCCI joint secretary Amitabh Chaudhary, the CoA is said to convey to discuss the stand the national board should take in the crucial ICC board meeting to hold in Dubai on April 27-28.
- The upcoming meeting has increased some confusion over who is the decision-making authority in the BCCI.
- “We will also have meetings with all the Boards before the ICC meeting,” said Chaudhary.
- The CoA feels that “It’s about looking after our interest and defusing the situation as well. It doesn’t mean money only.”
- BCCI founded – 1926
- Headquarters – Wankhede stadium, Churchgate, Mumbai
- President secretary – Amitabh Choudhary
As Mizoram awaits Aizawl FC’s big I-League day, feast for local team’s win
- This I-League is big for small Mizoram, especially with home team Aizawl FC in title contention.
- Nearly everyone in the Mizoram capital was preoccupied with football – on Saturday for the I-league title the Aizawl FC’s chances of defeating Mohan Bagan.
- Some of people around 4,000 of Chinga Veng had football in mind too. But all their focus is on Friday was on Celebrating the victory of their locality club in the inter-village (includes urban localities) football championship.
- Sawmi, vice-chairman of Chinga Veng local council told to HT that the championship, held in each of Mizoram’s eight districts for 35-40 days, can at times involve 200 teams per district. “Tomorrow might belong to Aizawl FC, but today belongs to Chinga Veng FC.”
- The fan club is headed by David Zohmangaiha, a mountaineer who scaled Mt Everest some time ago.
- I-league Founded – 2007
- Country – India
- of teams – 10
- I-league officially known as Hero League due to sponsorship reasons is an Indian professional’s league for men’s association football club.