Uttar Pradesh ATS, Delhi Police arrest 3 ISIS suspects
- After a month of suspected ISIS terrorist Saifullah was killed by a police encounter in Lucknow.
- Arresting three suspects, the Uttar Pradesh Anti-terrorist Squad busted a module with ISIS links.
- After the UP ATS manage raids in a joint operation with the special cell of Delhi Police, the arrest was made.
- In a statement the UP ATS said that “The police have arrested three suspects from Mumbai, Jalandhar and Bijnor and six others are being questioned.”
- In April the government informed Rajya Sabha that nearly 80 people are suspected to have been guided by the ISIS ideology have been held across the country recently, but no input suggests that the radical organization has established a base in India.
- Rajnath Singh the home minister said that there is ‘no need to be worried’ about the radical Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) spreading in India.
- Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) Active – December 1990
- Branch – Respective Police Departments of different Indian states
- Nickname – Sarat-Kumar-Bhararti
Mamata Banerjee draws the line between Hinduism and BJP’s Hindutva
- On Wednesday, Minister Mamata Banerjee used the precincts of Puri’s Jaggannath Temple to pit her “inclusive” Hinduism against BJP’s “disruptive” Hindutva.
- The chief minister said that while the Hindu belief talks about the ideology of moving forward and taking everyone along, the saffron party is acting against the ideology.
- She also said “I strongly condemn such scandalous activities by the so-called Hindu zealots. These communal forces, with their political vendetta, are maligning people.”
- On Wednesday, though not a single priest has opposed her entry to the shrine but some BJP youth wing raised the slogans against her and were immediately detained.
- The police have denied permission to the CM to visit Swain Mohapatra’s. Another Police officer said that “she wanted to visit his house following his request. As it is in a narrow street, it was deemed a security hazard. We advised her to meet him at the Circuit House.”
- Born – 5 January 1955 (age 62)
- Political Party – All India Trinamool Congress
- Residence – Kolkata, West Bengal
No more ‘lal battis’: Every Indian is a VIP, declares PM Modi
- From May 1, no VIP, dignitary or official at Centre and states will be able to use any beacon – red or blue on their vehicles.
- Also for the PM, president and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court there will be no exception to use any beacon-red and blue on their Vehicles.
- Only the emergency service vehicles like ambulances, fire brigade and police cars will use blue and beacons-red.
- Gadkari told to TOI that “We will notify the new norms after inviting suggestions and objections. But I appeal to everyone to remove these beacons on their own.”
- In September 2013 the process of pruning the VIPs entitled for fitting beacons atop their vehicles had started following stinging observations of Supreme Court.
India, Nepal to deepen cooperation in security, trade, energy
- The Ministry of Affairs said that Nepal and India will further deepen cooperation in key areas like Security, Investment and energy.
- From April 17-21, Bhandari who is on a visit to India, held talks with her Indian Counterpart Pranab Mukherjee, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Minister for Home Affairs Rajnath Singh, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Finance and Defence Minister Arun Jaitley.
- The Indian leadership repeatedly its support to ongoing efforts of the Nepal government in moving constitution execution process forward through dialogue and taking all sections of its society on Board, said the statement by the MEA.
- The MEA added also that “The State visit of the President of Nepal provided the opportunity to the two sides to review all aspects of bilateral relations and to reiterate their commitments to take India-Nepal partnership to a new level across diverse sectors for mutual benefit.”
- Capital – Kathmandu
- Currency – Nepalese rupee
- Prime Minister – Pushpa Kamal Dahal
‘US must support Paris accord’
- Its Executive Secretary Patricia said here that the nodal climate agency of the United Nation, the UNFCCC, is seeking alternative sources of funding, in the face of likely budget cuts by the United States.
- On Wednesday her comments came a day after the U.S government postponed meeting to decide whether to remain in the Paris Agreement.
- Espinosa met the Union Ministers of Environment, Power and Railways, and interacted with industry representatives, during her visit.
- France Capital – Paris
- President – Francois Hollande
- Currency –Euro
EU toughens stance on Brexit negotiations
- European Union government strengthen their plans for the Brexit negotiation in a sign Theresa May the UK prime Minister won’t get an easier ride even if she strengthens her grip on power in the upcoming election.
- After meeting with May on Thursday speaking in London, European Parliament President Antonio Tajani welcomed the election because it meant the talks would gain some stability from beginning and ending with the same government.
- UN Capital – Brussels
- President of European Commission – Jean-Claude Juncker
- Currency – Euro
BANKING & FINANCE
Friendly advance ruling mechanism to smoother ride under GST regime
- Under the GST regime India is planning a noteworthy shift toward a litigation-free environment, creating a liberal mechanism that would allow all taxpayers to establish liabilities beforehand.
- On July 1, the government proposes to roll out the new tax regime, which seeks to replace multiple state and central taxes with a single levy.
- GST is an indirect taxation in India combining most of the existing taxes into single system of taxation.
Rupee opens 8 paise down at 64.64 against dollar
- On Friday the Rupee opened 8 paise down at 64.64 against dollar on account of selling of American Currency by banks and exporters.
- In the currency futures market, the most traded dollar-rupee April contract on the NSE ended at 64.60 on Thursday. The April contract open interest fell 3.54 per cent from the previous day.
- The benchmark 6.97% 2026 bond yield rose to 6.88 per cent from 6.86 per cent in the previous session.
US-Russian Crew Reaches Space Station with ‘Awesomeness’
- On Thurday the two man U.S. Russian crew has appear into the International Space Centre, Six hours after blasting off from the Baikonour Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
- On Wednesday the NASA said that she is expected to receive a congratulatory phone call on Monday from U.S. President Donald Trump.
- Whitson, who flew to the station in November along with Russian cosmonaut Oleg Novitskiy and French astronaut Thomas Pesquet, will remain aboard with Fischer and Yurchikhin until September.
- NASA Formed – July 29, 1958; 58 years Ago
- Headquarters – Washington, D.C.
Light-weight robotic cheetah developed
- Scientists have developed a light-weight robotic cheetah that efficiently uses its energy to copy the movements of the fastest land animal in the world.
- Folkertsma said “I wanted to create a robot that runs the same way, with the aim of applying this knowledge to the development of new robots.”
- The prototype weighs in at 2.5 kg and is 30 cm long – twenty times lighter than a real cheetah and four times smaller.
Supreme Court Quashes Criminal Case against MS Dhoni
- On Thursday Supreme Court quashed criminal proceedings against cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni pending at a trial court in Andhra Pradesh for allegedly hurting religious sentiments by posing as Lord Vishnu on a magazine cover.
- A bench headed by Justice Ranjan Gogoi granted relief to Dhoni after noting that the trial court in Karnataka erred in summoning the cricketer without following the due procedure of law.
- In 2013 Magazine Dhoni Posing as Vishnu, there are several cases were filed against Dhoni.
- Born – 7 July 1981 (age 35)
- Nickname – Mahi, MS, MSD, Captain Cool
- Batting Style – Right-Handed
Book Excerpt: Why Virat Kohli Is the CEO of Cricket
- If we saw Virat, the cricketer and the Man, we will find some extraordinary Characteristics, his leadership skills the ability to keep his cool under pressure, a fearless attitude and a desire to win every game — that have shaped him as he is today.
- Amidst the noise of the sixes and fours and the whistles from the crowd, this gladiator proves that if there is a CEO of cricket, he is rightfully the one.
- Virat focuses his entire game plan on factors that he can control. For instance, how an opposition player will bat or bowl is completely beyond his control but he can definitely have his strategy ready according to the opposition’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Born – 5 November 1988 (age 28)
- Batting Style – Right-handed