DARPAN-PLI App launched for total digitisation of postal operations
- With a view to achieve total digitisation of postal operations in the country, under the IT Modernisation Plan, Department of Posts has launched DIGITAL ADVANCEMENT OF RURAL POST OFFICE FOR A NEW INDIA (DARPAN) Project, which aims to connect all 1.29 lakh Rural Branch Post Offices in the country, to enable them to do online Postal and Financial Transactions.
- Hand held devices with SIM connectivity and solar power backup are being installed in all Branch Post Offices in the Country. The total Project cost is more than Rs.1300 crores. 61,941 Branch Post Offices have been rolled out under DARPAN Project.
- The DARPAN-PLI App, launched by Hon’ble Minister of State (I/C) for Communications and Minister of State for Railways today, will help in collection of premium for PLI and RPLI policies at Branch Post Offices anywhere in India, with online updating of the policies.
- Further, with launch of this App, indexing of maturity claims in respect of PLI and RPLI policies can be done at Branch Post Office itself, upon which the customer will immediately be provided with the request number for further references. These two initiatives will help Department of Posts in providing better after-sales service to customers of PLI and RPLI, particularly those living in rural areas of the country.
India – Wiesbaden Conference 2018 held in New Delhi
- The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in cooperation with Germany and the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) has been going to host the India-Wiesbaden Conference 2018 in the national capital on April 16-17.
- Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) has been going to be the partner of the industry.
- The heading and the title of this conference has been given as the ‘Securing Global Supply Chains through Government-Industry Partnerships towards Effective Implementation of UNSC Resolution 1540’.
- In this conference there will be the representative of the 39 countries will be present, as well as experts from the UNSC 1540 Committee and UN Office for Disarmament Affairs in New York, will be participating in the two-day conference.
1st Meeting of National Council on India’s Nutrition Challenges under POSHAN Abhiyaan Held
- The first meeting of National Council on India’s Nutrition Challenges under POSHAN Abhiyaan was held today in New Delhi. The meeting was chaired by Dr. Rajiv Kumar, Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog. The Council, which has been set up under POSHAN Abhiyaan, is the apex body to formulate overall policies, guide and monitor all nutrition based schemes. The mandate of the Council is:
- To provide policy directions to address India’s Nutrition Challenges through coordinated inter-sectoral action
- To coordinate and review convergence among ministries
- To review programmes for nutrition on a quarterly basis
- The Council will submit its report to the Prime Minister every six months.
- Ram Vilas Paswan, Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution , Sh.Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State(I/C) for Housing & Urban Affairs, State Ministers of WCD from the states of Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh, Secretaries of Central Government and District Collectors of eight districts attended the meeting and deliberated on the implementation of the Abhiyaan. Shri Ram Vilas Paswan stressed that mothers should be involved through Self Help groups for distribution of Take home ration in Anganwadi Centres.
The annual targets set under POSHAN Abhiyaan beginning 2017-18 are as under:
|1.||Prevent and reduce stunting in children (0-6years)||By 6% @ 2% p.a.|
|2||Prevent and reduce under-nutrition (underweight prevalence) in children (0-6 years)||By 6% @ 2% p.a.|
|3||Reduce the prevalence of anemia among young Children(6-59 months)||By 9% @ 3% p.a.|
|4||Reduce the prevalence of anemia among Women and Adolescent Girls in the age group of 15-49 years.||By 9% @ 3% p.a.|
|5||Reduce Low Birth Weight (LBW).||By 6% @ 2% p.a.|
BANKING AND FINANCE
SBI Allows Cash Withdrawal through PoS Machines
- In term to increase the cash mode, State Bank of India (SBI) has decided to give the permission in the depositors to withdraw cash from its point of sale (PoS) devices available with merchants.
- In term to give th more number of the facility for the users and convenient cash withdrawal, the bank has also decided to provide facilities of cash through ‘[email protected]’ initiative,” SBI said in a release. “Debit card holders of SBI and all other banks can withdraw cash from PoS machines installed by SBI across various merchant locations,” the release added.
- “SBI has a total of 6.08 lakh PoS machines of which 4.78 lakh PoS machines are enabled to dispense cash to the customers of SBI and the banks who have enabled this facility for their customers,” the release added.
India contributing to global growth in financial inclusion: World Bank report
- Young Indian has been doing the transaction more than the thoughts from the bank accounts and restricting the use of cash, a behavioral shift that could help improve the government’s tax revenues.
- Four-fifths of Indian adults have opened bank accounts in the last year that is the 2017, compared with just 53% in the year 2014, after the government comes in the power it has, show data from the Global Findex Report that highlighted New Delhi’s contribution to global growth in financial inclusion.
- The World Bank has published its report on late Thursday. Findex, has launched with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, tracks data on how adults save, borrow, make payments, and manage risk.
Para-athlete Shrimant Jha bags bronze at Asian Armwrestling C’ship
- Differently abled Indian arm wrestler Shrimant Jha has did the work that made the India, proud on Friday by winning the up a bronze medal at the Asian Armwrestling Championship, which is being held from April 16 to April 22 in Kazakhstan.
- The 25-year-old, Shrimant Jha , who is the resident of Naxal-hit Chhattisgarh finished behind Tajikistan’s Firuz and Magolia’s Munkhbold to settle for the bronze in the 80kg senior category.
- In term of the win, Shriman said he would continue to concentrate on his game and try to do better next time around.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
World’s Greatest Leaders in 2018: Mukesh Ambani ranks 24, thanks to Jio
- Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani and human rights lawyer Indira Jaising has been given the name by Fortune magazine as the World’s Greatest Leaders of 2018.
- Ambani, who turned 61 today, has “in less than two years, brought mobile data to the masses and completely upended the country’s telecom market”, Fortune said ranking him No.24 behind likes of South Korean President Mon Jae-in, Chinese vice premier Liu He and French President Emmanuel Macron.
- “Since Ambani, chief of the USD 47 billion conglomerate Reliance Industries, launched Jio — the first mobile network in the world to be entirely IP-based — in September 2016, the company has signed up a staggering 168 million subscribers.
- “The secret Offering dirt-cheap data and free calls (and plowing billions of dollars into the infrastructure that transmits them). The effect, dubbed ‘Jio-fication’, has driven India’s higher-price carriers to drop costs (if not run them out of business), and it fueled a 1,100 per cent rise in India’s monthly data consumption,” it said.
- “His designs include the Aranya low-cost housing project in Indore, a labyrinth of homes and courtyards that provide around 80,000 residents with a balance of open spaces and communal living, and the mixed-income Life Insurance Corporation Housing in Ahmedabad, where several generations of a family can occupy levels of the same building. Underlying all his work is the ideal that all economic classes deserve good housing,” it said.