Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Launched in Delhi
- Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) scheme in Delhi and distributed new LPG connections and cylinders to beneficiaries here.
- “Nearly, 5 lakh women die every year from domestic pollution. We have gathered here to provide clean fuel to Delhi,” Pradhan said while addressing the gathering.
- “This Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana has transformed the lives of more than 3.5 crore women fulfilling the vision of Prime Minister to provide clean cooking fuel to them and eliminating the health hazards,” Pradhan added.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- Reducing the serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuel.
- Reducing the number of deaths in India due to unclean cooking fuel.
- Preventing young children from significant number of acute respiratory illnesses caused due to indoor air pollution by burning the fossil fuel.
Eligibility for PM Ujjwala Yojana
- The identification of eligible BPL families will be made on the basis of SECC-2011 data. However below is the basic eligibility criteria for the scheme.
- The applicant’s name should be in the list of SECC-2011 data.
- The applicant should be a women above the age of 18 years.
- The women applicant should belong to BPL (Below Poverty Line).
- The women applicant should have a saving bank account in any nationalized bank across the country.
- The applicant’s household should not already own a LPG connection in anyone’s name.
Assam’s Spring Festival Begins in Manas National Park
- There is the two day of the Assam Spring Festival has started at the Manas National Park on Saturday at there the visitors will get to experience the state’s local food, music, handloom and handicrafts.
- “The aim of the event is to promote the local food and culture of the fringe villagers. It is an attempt to create a model of alternative livelihood through food, handloom and culture,” Mitali from Food Sutra, one of the organisers, said.
- “We are expecting participation of over 300 domestic and foreign tourists in the two-day festival.”
- J. Sharma of the Indian Weavers’ Association said: “We have trained about 32 households about maintenance of hygiene and the basics of the service industry. We trained them on managing home stays and serving the guests homemade food.
- “When the locals start keeping guests in their home stays, it will not only provide then with an alternative livelihood but also direct market linkages to showcase and sell their products. Normally in Assam, the tourist season is for six months (April to November). However, with these initiatives, the locals can host interested travellers during the off season or all through the year.”
UAE and Malaysia Conclude Joint Military Exercise ‘Desert Tiger 5’
- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Malaysia concluded “Desert Tiger 5” joint military exercise with aim of the sharing and enhancing joint military actions, UAE state news agency WAM reported on Saturday.
- Brigadier Saeed Rashid Al Shehi, deputy commander of the UAE land forces, and General Dato’ Sri Zulkiple bin Hj Kassim, Malaysian chief of army, was present in this ceremony of the joint military drill.
- The military exercise was implemented within the framework of the UAE leadership’s continued desire “to support and create unique partnerships between both countries in all areas.”
- “The UAE land forces have been drafting strategic plans to develop the capabilities of their personnel,” WAM reported.
First India-Nordic summit to boost ties with 5 nations
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been going to meet the leader of Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark & Iceland for the first India-Nordic Summit in Stockholm on April 17.
- Swedish Ambassador to India Klas Molin told ET “Prime Minister Löfven was very happy to accept the proposal by PM Modi to hold an Indo-Nordic Summit in Stockholm. The two PMs have met and spoken often over the last few years and they have very good chemistry. They jointly invited the other Nordic prime ministers to Stockholm for the summit.
- “The Prime Ministers pledged to deepen cooperation between India and the Nordic countries and focused their discussions on key issues related to global security, economic growth, innovation and climate change,” a joint statement issued after the summit said. “They acknowledged that innovation and digital transformation drive growth in an interconnected world, which underpin a growing engagement between India and the Nordic countries,” it said.
- “They discussed global security, including cyber security, based on their shared values of human rights, democracy and the rule of law, and their commitment to uphold the rules-based international system. They also discussed export control and non-proliferation,” it said.
BANKING AND FINANCE
India’s Foreign Exchange Reserves Hit a Life-Time High
- The country’s foreign exchange reserves has hit the record of the highness $424.361 billion after the increment of the $1.828 billion in the week to March 30, helped by rise in foreign currency assets, the Reserve Bank said on that day.
- In the last of the week, the reserves had increased by $1.197 billion to $422.532 billion.
- At that time, the reserves had touched a record high of $421.914 billion on February 9. It had growth higher than the $400-billion mark for the first time in the week to September 8, in the year 2017, but has since been fluctuating.
- In the week of reporting, the foreign currency assets, a major component of the overall reserves, rose by $1.823 billion to $399.118 billion.
Sebastian Vettel Wins Bahrain Grand Prix
BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX RESULTS
Sunday at tje 3.36-mile Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, Bahrain:
- Sebastian Vettel, Germany, Ferrari, 57 laps, 1:32:01.94.
- Valtteri Bottas, Finland, Mercedes, 57, +0.699 seconds behind.
- Lewis Hamilton, Britain, Mercedes, 57, +6.512.
- Pierre Gasly, France, Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda, 57, +62.234.
- Kevin Magnussen, Denmark, Haas Ferrari, 57, +75.046.
- Nico Hulkenberg, Germany, Renault, 57, +99.024.
- Fernando Alonso, Spain, McLaren Renault, 56, +1 lap.
- Stoffel Vandoorne, Belgium, McLaren Renault, 56, +1 lap.
- Marcus Ericsson, Sweden, Sauber Ferrari, 56, +1 lap.
- Esteban Ocon, France, Force India Mercedes, 56, +1 lap.
- Carlos Sainz, Spain, Renault, 56, +1 lap.
- Sergio Perez, Mexico, Force India Mercedes, 56, +1 lap.
- Brendon Hartley, New Zealand, Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda, 56, +1 lap.
- Charles Leclerc, Monaco, Sauber Ferrari, 56, +1 lap.
- Romain Grosjean, France, Haas Ferrari, 56, +1 lap.
- Lance Stroll, Canada, Williams Mercedes, 56, +1 lap.
- Sergey Sirotkin, Russia, Williams Mercedes, 56, +1 lap.
Kimi Raikkonen, Finland, Ferrari, 35.
Max Verstappen, Netherlands, Red Bull Racing Tag Heuer, 3.
Daniel Ricciardo, Australia, Red Bull Racing Tag Heuer, 1.
- Sebastian Vettel, Germany, Ferrari, 50 points.
- Lewis Hamilton, Britain, Mercedes, 33.
- Valtteri Bottas, Finland, Mercedes, 22.
- Fernando Alonso, Spain, McLaren Renault, 16.
- Kimi Raikkonen, Finland, Ferrari, 15.
- Nico Hulkenberg, Germany, Renault, 14.
- Daniel Ricciardo, Australia, Red Bull Racing Tag Heuer, 12.
- Pierre Gasly, France, Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda, 12.
- Kevin Magnussen, Denmark, Den Haas Ferrari, 10.
- Max Verstappen, Netherlands, Red Bull Racing Tag Heuer, 8.
- Stoffel Vandoorne, Belgium, McLaren Renault, 6.
- Marcus Ericsson, Sweden, Sauber Ferrari, 2.
- Carlos Sainz, Spain, Renault, 1.
- Esteban Ocon, France, Force India Mercedes, 1.
- Ferrari, 65.
- Mercedes, 55.
- McLaren Renault, 22.
- Red Bull Racing Tag Heuer, 20.
- Renault, 15.
- Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda, 12.
- Haas Ferrari, 10.
- Sauber Ferrari, 2.
- Force India Mercedes, 1.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
CII appoints Rakesh Bharti Mittal as new President
- Industry chamber Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) on Monday has announced that it has did the appointment to Rakesh Bharti Mittal, Vice Chairman, and Bharti Enterprises as its new President.
- “Mittal is also Chairman of Bharti AXA Life Insurance, Bharti AXA General Insurance, FieldFresh Foods and Centum Learning. He is also on the Board of Bharti Airtel and is Managing Director-Bharti Realty Holdings,” CII said in a statement.
- “Vikram Kirloskar takes over as CII Vice President for 2018-19. Kirloskar is the Chairman and Managing Director of Kirloskar Systems and Vice Chairman of Toyota Kirloskar Motor,” the statement added.