1st International Exhibition of Graphic Prints ‘Print Biennale India 2018’ Inaugurated
- In keeping with its role as the country’s National Academy of Art, the Lalit Kala Akademi is hosting the first-ever International Print Biennale in the country with a record number of 17 countries taking part in it. The first-ever International Exhibition of Graphic Prints ‘Print Biennale India 2018’ opened today, at the Rabindra Bhavan Galleries of the Lalit Kala Akademi in New Delhi.
- The eminent Artist-Printmaker, Shri Shakti Barman was the Chief Guest. The inaugural ceremony was graced with the presence of the Biennale Commissioner, Ms. Anupam Sud and its steering committee members Shri Ananda Moy Banerji, Shri Dattatraya Apte, Shri R.S. Sham Sunder, Ms. Paila Sen Gupta and Shri Vijay Bagodi.
- The message of the Minister of State Culture (Independent Charge) and Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr. Mahesh Sharma was read out on the occasion. Dr Mahesh Sharma said “The 1st Print Biennale India, 2018 is an endeavor that is a quest for discovering new artistic trends in printmaking Nationally & Internationally. Printmaking is a means of fine expression. The direct consequence of this was the definition of the role Printmaking was to play in society and the broader and more indirect consequence were the ideological reaction this imposed.”
- In his message, the Culture Minister further said, “The comprehensive vision laid out by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi builds on the heritage of India’s rich social and cultural diversity, its tradition, the strength of our human resource and the aspirations of the youth. I appreciate all the beautiful prints on display and the outstanding effort of the Academy to contribute towards and make us aware of the contemporary trends in art. I also extend my congratulations to Shri C S Krishna Setty, Administrator, Lalit Kala Akademi for supporting and encouraging contemporary artists through this exhibition and creating a unique legacy for the future.”
CCEA Approves Integrated Scheme for Development of Silk Industry
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has given its approval for Central Sector Scheme “Integrated Scheme for Development of Silk Industry” for the next three years from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
The Scheme has four components –
- Research & Development (R&D), Training, Transfer of Technology and IT Initiatives
- Seed Organizations and farmers extension centres
- Coordination and Market Development for seed, yarn and silk products and
- Quality Certification System (QCS) by creating amongst others a chain of Silk Testing facilities, Farm based & post-cocoon Technology Up-gradation, and Export Brand Promotion.
The scheme is expected to increase the silk production from the level of 30348 MTs during 2016-17 to 38500 MTs by end of 2019-20 with the following interventions:
- Production of import substitute bivoltine silk to the tune of 8500 MTs per annum by 2020.
- Research & Development to improve productivity from the present level of 100 Kgs to 111 kgs of silk per ha. of plantation by the end of 2019-20.
- Large scale propagation of improved reeling machines (Automatic Reeling Machine for mulberry; improved reeling/spinning machineries and Buniyad reeling machines for Vanya silk) under Make in India programme to produce quality silk to cater to the market demand.
The scheme has following improvement over the earlier scheme:
(i) The scheme aims to achieve self-sufficiency in silk production by 2022. To achieve this, production of high grade silk in India will reach 20,650 MTs by 2022 from the current level of 11,326 MTs thereby reducing imports to Zero.
(ii) For the first time, there is clear focus on improving production of highest grade quality of silk. It is proposed to increase 4A grade silk from the current level of 15% to 25 % of mulberry production by 2020.
(iii) The implementation strategy is clearly based on convergence at the State level with the schemes of other Ministers like MGNREGS of Rural Development, RKVY & PMKSY of Ministry of Agriculture, for maximizing benefits to the sericulturists.
(iv) The R&D projects pertaining to disease resistant silkworm, host plant improvements, productivity enhancing tools and implements for reeling and waving etc. will be done in cooperation with Ministries i.e. Science and Technology, Agriculture and Human Resource Development (HRD).
President Kovind Lays Foundation Stone of 5 National Highway Projects in Varanasi
- The President has going to take the lead of the more than the 5 projects of the National Highway Authority of India. In this, there has the construction of the 170-km- National Highway and four lining of Ring Road at a cost of about to the 3,473 crores.
- In the list that has presented there has also the link [up road of the Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh connecting Varanasi to Rewa. The president said that by this work there, will not be any of the increment on the term of the employment but by this there will be the growth of the country.
- The president itself has given the appointment letter to the Deendayal Handicraft Complex under The Skill Development Mission. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said that 6 lakh youth have been registered in the institutions under the Prime Minister Skill Development Scheme in the state.
- The CM has said, he is very happy in the announcement of the 1 lakh 40 thousand youths have already got placements in different companies. President Kovind also released the Sanskrit edition of Charavati-Charavati, a book written by the Governor of Uttar Pradesh, Ram Naik.
World’s Oldest City Varanasi Goes ‘Wireless’
- In June in the year 2015, former Union Minister of State for Power and Coal, Piyush Goyal, has did the announcement of the pay of Rs 432-crore project to lay underground cable lines that will be more than the 16 square kilometres in Varanasi, catering to over 50,000 consumers. In September that year, PM Narendra Modi has started and launched the system that has the different Power Development Scheme (IPDS) for the country in Varanasi through Powergrid, a state-owned electric utilities company.
- Just like the two year there has been in the Varanasi that has been going to be the full of the wireless in the system that will be like the full underground of the wire of the electricitry and that get happend with help of the Piyush Goyal’s vision, according to a one of the report of the media, Turns out, for Powergrid, the proposal and the actual requirement to lay underground cables through the city’s congested markets and winding, and in that the street that are very low in the area that will be very easy that is tottaly underground. Eleven old substations have been modernised and two new ones built from scratch at Chowk and Kazzakpura areas.
- Because of the lane that are narrow, very small pedestal boxes had to be installed for switch boxes. Additionally, dealing with existing underground lines for sewage and water supply without any map of where they lie was also a big challenge. Powergrid workers often ended up damaging them since they were digging in the dark; work then had to be stopped till compensation was paid to the relevant agency.
India Becomes 4th Largest Auto Market in the World
- India has overtaken Germany and has become the forward in the automobile market in the world; it is by the latest global data show.
- Automobile sales, in which the passenger and commercial vehicles, in Asia’s third largest economy growth of the 9.5%, the fastest among major global markets, in the past of the year 4 million units, outpacing Germany’s 3.8-million vehicle sales, which rose by a modest 2.8% in the same period.
- Sales volumes for Maruti SuzukiBSE 0.92 % Vitara Brezza and Hyundai Creta remain strong, new launches in segment include Tata’s Nexon, Jeep Compass, and VW’s Tiguan & Skoda’s Kodiaq.
- The government has thrust on infrastructure, stricter tabs overloading ban, macroeconomic environment buoyancy expected to keep the momentum strong in 2018.
BANKING AND FINANCE
World’s Largest Cruise Ship ‘Symphony of the Seas’ Sets Sail
- The world’s biggest cruise-liner, Symphony of the Seas, has been get out from the shipyard of Saint-Nazaire in France to set the voyage of the sea in the Mediterranean.
- French shipbuilder STX has given the U.S. giant Royal Caribbean International on Friday. The ship, that has weight of the 228,000 tonnes, is 362 metres long just 20 metres shy of the length of the Empire State Building.
- It’s size if of the more bigger that the sister ship, the Harmony of the Seas, which STX France delivered to Royal Caribbean in the year 2016.
- In this, there has the ice rink, Water Park and full-size basketball court along with 2,700 cabins. “We said thank you in a fairly tangible way. We actually said it a billion times and each one was one euro,” joked Royal Caribbean boss Richard Fain, referring to the ship’s price tag.
ISA and India Sign Host Country Agreement
- There is the requirement of the Indian industry to set up infrastructure in low developed International Solar Alliance (ISA) member countries for renewable energy, power minister R.K. Singh said on Monday.
- ISA has the capacity to change the developmental paradigm in the world, he said. “There is need for our industry to go and set up infrastructure in these countries,” Singh said and talked about doing necessary de-risking in this regard.
- He was saying at the public who were ministry of external affairs (MEA) has signed the host country agreement in New Delhi. By this agreement there will be provide of the ISA a juridical personality and gives it power to contract, acquire and dispose of movable and immovable properties as well as to institute and defend legal proceedings.
- He has also said that the energy now will be developed tropical countries at affordable rates and in an easily deployable manner. He also said that many countries have shown interest to learn from India’s experience in renewable energy.
ISSF Junior World Cup- Anish Bhanwala Wins Gold
- India’s Anish Bhanwala has won the Mens 25m Rapid Fire Pistol title in the ongoing International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Junior World Cup here on Monday.
- The player has been getting the better of the China’s Zhipeng Cheng 29-27 in the 40-shot final.
- Anish has ranked at topped the qualification round before that by quite a distance. He shot the 585 and the second placed qualifier Jueming Zhang of China managed 579, a good six points behind.
- In the final round, Anish and Zhipeng has been at the ahead in the box shooting four in the first five-shot series.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
London Based Organisation SACF Wins Frederick Pincott Award
- South Asian Cinema Foundation (SACF), a city-based organisation has got the Frederick Pincott Award for the year 2017 from the Indian High Commissioner, Y K Sinha for promoting Hindi cinema in Britain from the 18 years.
- This institute has been working as the research and books on Indian films, and also has given the invitation to honoring filmmakers from India, along with documentary filmmaking and producing classic silent films with live music at the British Film Institute (BFI).
- On this occasion, the Minister for Coordination in the High Commission, A S Rajan has said that the SACF has been doing commendable work for nearly two decades to promote Hindi and regional Indian cinema in the UK and as a result has served the cause of dissemination of the Hindi language.
- It was inspiring to see Lalit Mohan Joshis recent production of Dadasaheb Phalkes “Raja Harishchandra” with live music at the British Film Institute (BFI), Rajan added.