With 41.7 million followers, Modi becomes most followed world leader on Facebook
- According to a report which was published by the Burson-Marsteller said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has become the most followed world leader on Facebook with over 40 million people following his personal account. After the Modi in the next place, is the US President Donald Trump with 20 million followers on his personal page.
- Besides Modi other Indians leader are also popular on the social media in the following term. There’s the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee is at rank number 9 and the Union Minister for Foreign Affairs, Sushma Swaraj at number 16.
- The study done by the Burson- Marsteller is the reporter, has analyzed the activity of 590 Facebook pages of heads of state and government and foreign ministers from the year 2016 using aggregate data from Facebook’s Crowdtangle tool.
- Ankhi Das, Public Policy Director, Facebook India, South & Central Asia said, “This is the new form of public governance. He is reinforcing the importance of internet platforms as an input factor, tool for better productivity, higher output creating brand recognition, and accessing global markets. This is the rise and rise of the Prime Minister. His approval ratings continue to be high his and it all validates what you are seeing in terms of the popularity and the (election) wins”.
- 1st rank in the most Follower leader- Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- 2nd rank- US President Donald Trump
- President of India, Pranab Mukherjee- 9th rank
- Union Minister for Foreign Affairs, Sushma Swaraj- 16th rank
RTI made government institutions accountable to people: CUK V-C
- On Friday, the CENTRAL UNIVERSITY of Kashmir (CUK) Vice-Chancellor Prof Mehraj ud Din Mir said that the Right to Information (RTI) Act is a landmark legislation of the state, that has made all government institutions accountable to the people.
- CENTRAL UNIVERSITY of Kashmir (CUK) Vice-Chancellor Prof Mehraj ud Din Mir said, “This Act has created a sense of responsibility and accountability among key functionaries of the government departments and other institutions, which come under its (RTI Act’s) purview. There have been several instances wherein the purchase orders, allotment of works and recruitment processes have been quashed after RTI revealed discrepancies”.
- Mehraj ud Din Mir said that the RTI has kept the decisions regarding to the recruitment process of the professor that is taken by any of the government officials, purchases, allotment of works and other similar activities open to any scrutiny.
- Dean Students Welfare, Dr. Fayaz A Nikka, said that the main aim and objective of holding the awareness programme was to sensitize the administrative staff and the students about the Act at the time of welcoming the experts. He said that the in near future DSW would hold more such sensitization programmes so that the students would be well acquainted and aware with the usage of RTI Act.
- Vice-Chancellor of Central University of Kashmir- Mehraj Uddin Mir
- Chancellor: Srikumar Banerjee
- Founded: March 2009, Ganderbal
- Motto: Knowledge is Power
Modi opens India’s longest river bridge in Assam, names it after Bhupen Hazarika
- India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi today launched and opens the country’s longest river bridge and named it The Dhola-Sadiya Bridge over the Brahmaputra river in Assam. Celebrating the third anniversary of the NDA government at the Centre, he celebrated his anniversary as the prime minister dedicated the bridge to the nation.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, “The Bridge will open gates for economic growth in the region and bring an economic revolution. We are confident that Eastern and North Eastern India have great aptitude to take the nation to new heights. The bridge will open gates for economic growth in the region and bring economic revolution. We are confident that Eastern and North Eastern India has great aptitude to take nation to new heights”.
- Dhola-Sadiya bridge built on at the cost of ₹2,056 crore and it is 3.55 km longer than the Bandra-Worli sea link. The total length of the bridge, including the side roads of the bridge, is 9.15 km with a 7.3 km approach road from the Dhola side and 12.5 km from Sadia side modi said it will connect and bring closer the people of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- With dedicating to the nation the 9.15 km-long bridge, Dhola-Sadiya Bridge is named after Dadasaheb Phalke awardee and legendary lyricist-singer Bhupen Hazarika who was the resident from Sadiya, he said it will serve as the foundation for a new economic revolution and to become a superpower it will help India in its efforts.
- Length of the Dhola-Sadiya bridge- 9.15 km
- Total cost to built- ₹2,056 crore
- Opened on- May 26, 2017
Govt launches e-Sanad for digital attestation of document
- On Wednesday the government launched the service to do the digitalization the process of attestation of documents for those going abroad, so that they are away from the trouble of visiting government offices for the purpose. ‘e-Sanad’ is a digitaisation planning of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), in association with two other ministries will initially be hosting school leaving certificates with the help of Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
- The program of the e-Sanad has been designed and developed by the National Informatics Corporation (NIC) and it will be implemented in phases. The first initialisation phase of the implementation of eSanad has been started in five passport offices and it is in the process of being implemented in the Apostille or the Attestation Cell of the Ministry.
- For the implementation of eSanad in the states, it is implemented and planned with theGeneral Administration (NRI) Department of the Government of Telangana as the main project. General Administration Department of the Government of Telangana is going to start the online processing of application for attestation of documents.
- e-Sanad is integrated with the the online digital repository of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), Parinam Manjusha, which was launched in November 2016. Parinam Manjusha is the chairhead who allows students to access their marksheets and certificates online.
- e-Sanad- It is the online processing of application for attestation of documents
- Full form of MEA- Ministry of External Affairs
- E- Sanad is Launched by- Ministry of External Affairs
- E- Sanad is designed and developed by- National Informatics Corporation (NIC)
Jared Kushner wanted secret communication channel with Russia:report
1. The son-in-law of US President Donald Trump, Jared Kushner, who is the one of the senior advisers in the Trump administration, was comes in the seeking of private communications channel with the Kremlin, it is said by the report of The Washington Post.
2. Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak has given the report to his superiors in Moscow that Kushner, son-in-law and confidant to then-President-elect Trump, made the proposal with the Kremlin during a meeting on Dec. 1 or 2 at Trump Tower, according to intercepts of Russian communications that meetings of the proposals were reviewed by U.S. officials. Kislyak said Kushner suggested for the communications, he is using Russian diplomatic facilities in the United States.
3. Kislyak told to his bosses in Moscow that Kushner the son-in-law of US President made the proposal on Dec. 1 or Dec. 2 at Trump Tower. Also at the meeting was Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security advisor, who was forced to resign by the president for, among other things, taking money from Russia for making a speech and accepting payment from Turkey for doing public relations work.
1. Jared Corey Kushner is an American real estate investor and developer, newspaper owner, and senior advisor to President Donald Trump
2. Russian Ambassador – Sergey Kislyak
Pakistan hikes defence budget by 7 per cent to Rs 920 billion amid tensions with India
1. Nawaz Sharif the leader of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz government on the Friday had presented its fifth budget of the defence expenditure before the 2018 general elections alloting a total of Rs 4,757 billion expenditure for the next fiscal year.
2. Pakistan on Friday proposed to hike its fifth defence budget by nearly seven per cent to Rs 920 billion amid growing tension with India along the Line of Control said by the report on the friday. Finance Minister Ishaq Dar said as he presented the federal budget for 2017-18 fiscal in the National Assembly, “We have increased the defence budget to Rs 920 billion (from Rs 860 billion)”.
3. India had avoided to the Pakistan of supporting militants, who infiltrate from the Pakistan-administered-Kashmir (PaK) into the Valley and he has target Indian government forces. Last year in September in the attack of the valley there was something killed 18 Indian soldiers and India retaliated with “surgical strikes” which it said were conducted on militant launchpads” in PaK.
1. Capital of Pakistan- Islamabad
2. President- Mamnoon Hussain
3. Currency- Pakistani rupee
4. Prime minister- Nawaz Sharif
India willing to partner with Nepal for economy and infrastructural growth: Ambassador Manjeev Singh Puri
1. For the stability of the political support stability in Nepal, India wants to to partnership with that and is willing to partner with the Himalayan nation in its quest for infrastructure development and economic progress, the Indian government official said in Kathmandu on Friday.
2. Tell about the relationship of the Nepal-India relations as a special and important one, Ambassador Manjeev Singh Puri said the bilateral ties were deep-rooted and went beyond the realm of politics, economy and culture. “Even our Gods and Goddesses are closely linked,” Puri said talking to reporters in Kathmandu for the first time since he assumed office in March.
3. Indian Ambassador Manjeev Singh Puri said, “We always wish to see that it be happened in as much inclusive as possible manner. India wishes to be a partner in Nepal’s infrastructure development and economic progress. ”
4. In a question about India’s views on a Madhesi domestic forces’ perplexity to take partial on June 14 in a second provision of internal physique polls, Puri said in the report that India wanted polls to be hold in an thorough manner. India is a good friend, partner and good wisher of the Nepal that always wants to see domestic fortitude and wealth in Nepal, he said.
1. Capital: Kathmandu
2. Currency: Nepalese rupee
3. President of nepal- Bidhya Devi Bhandari
4. PM of nepal- Pushpa Kamal Dahal
Lady Justice Statue removed from Bangladesh Supreme Court premises
1. A statue called ‘Lady Justice’, which is the minorities of the justics as a symbol of justice, after an outcry from religious hardliners was removed today from Bangladesh’s Supreme Court complex. According to the hardliners, the statue of the lady justics is a variation on the Greek goddess Themis but in a saree, goes against Islam. In December 2016 the statue erected, holding a sword and the scales of justice in her hands, amounts to idolatry.
2. After the statue was erected Hefazat-e-Islam supporters protested in front of the main mosque in Dhaka several times. The group, if the government failed to remove the statue, which has a network of students from thousands of Islamic schools across the country, had threatened to launch a mass movement.
3. Bangladesh’s prime minister, Sheikh Hasina said, “Why would the statue of Greek Themis be set up in Bangladesh? The Greeks had a certain type of costume, but here a statue has been built and it is wearing a sari … I don’t know why such an incident happened.”
4. Bangladeshi attorney general, Mahbubey Alam, told, “He told us he did not want any untoward incident over the statue in front of the Supreme Court. It should be removed and placed in some other location so that there are no questions raised about it. We also advised him that it would be prudent to remove the statue from in front of the court”.
1. Capital of Bangladesh- Dhaka
2. Currency: Bangladeshi taka
3. President: Abdul Hamid
4. PM of Bangladesh- Sheikh Hasina
BANKING & FINANCE
Govt to talk with Softbank for funding 21 electric buses
1. The government is holding initial talks with Japanese investment firm SoftBank to promote electric vehicles on a mass scale, for low interest funding of 2 lakh electric buses for public transport, Union Minister Nitin Gadkari announced in a report today.
2. Road Transport and Highways Minister Gadkari said, “Promoting electric vehicles is priority of our government. We want electric buses, autorickshaws and other vehicles to ply in the country. We are engaged in initial talks with SoftBank for loans at low interest rate for a green project. We want to introduce 2 lakh electric buses for public transport”.
3. The estimate growth of the automobile industry, which is at Rs 4.5 lakh crore, is estimated to grow to Rs 25 lakh crore and this stress should be laid to promote environment-friendly vehicles that causes minimum pollution, said the Union Minister Nitin Gadkari.
4. Research is on to produce lithium and other advanced batteries at a cheaper rate which would be made easily available, the minister announced this also by adding in his report, India is now a coal and electricity surplus nation and must promote green fuel.
1. SoftBank is a Japanese multinational telecommunications and Internet corporation
2. CEO- Masayoshi Son
3. Founder- Masayoshi Son
4. Founded: September 3, 1981, Tokyo, Japan
5. Headquarters: Minato, Tokyo, Japan
Rakesh Sarna resigns as IHCL MD and CEO
1. Tata Group hospitality firm Indian Hotels Co. Ltd. said today that managing director Rakesh Sarna has resigned, by his personal reasons, ending a tenure that was dogged by the shadow of a two-year-old sexual harassment complaint.
2. Sarna is a hospitality industry veteran, he had spent his more than three decades with the Hyatt Hotels Corp. Sarna said in a statement, “It has been an honour to serve the Tata Group and I would like to thank my board members and colleagues for their support during my stint at IHCL”.
3. Chandrasekaran said, “The board respects his decision and has requested him to continue till 30 September 2017 which he has kindly agreed to”. The company said in a filing to BSE, “The board of directors has taken on record his resignation, and his resignation will be effective from close of business hours on 30 September 2017”.
4. By selling some of its assets IHCL have been looking to pare its debt. Last year the firm sold its Taj Boston property for Rs839 crore to a consortium of US-based investors. As of 31 March, its consolidated net debt stood at Rs3, 151 crore.
1. Full form of IHCL- Indian Hotels Company Limited
Demonetization effect: Digital payments India’s new currency; debit card transactions surge to over 1 billion
1. It is shown that the ongoing challenge of the on the benefits of demonetization, according to Reserve Bank of India data, there’s been a strong growth in digital payments and transactions in this months since the currency swap was announced on November 8.
2. Digital transactions have trebled and quadrupled in volume and value across various modes from wallets to cards and interbank transfers from last few years. Reflecting a positive for the economy as more people start using their debit cards for payments for the card transactions at point of sale (PoS) terminals at merchant locations have surged, rather than for withdrawing cash at ATMs.
3. From the January the Debit card transactions rose to more than 1billion it raises from the 817 million last year. While ATM transactions have remained constant at around 700 million, the incremental growth has been driven mostly by card swipes at PoS terminals.
1. RBI Founded on- April 1, 1935, Kolkata, India
2. Governor: Urjit Patel
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Energy tech start-up wins National Enterprise Award
1. Energy technology startup company Acutrace was announced as the winner of this year’s National Enterprise Awards. The Dublin-based company develops software and hardware solutions for energy measurement and lighting control systems in commercial and industrial buildings in both Ireland and the UK.
2. Minister Mitchell O’ Connor said, “I am delighted to join An Taoiseach, Minister Breen and the Local Enterprise Offices to celebrate the outstanding entrepreneurial achievements of Ireland’s micro and small businesses at the National Enterprise Awards. My priority as Minister is to ensure that an environment exists that nurtures entrepreneurship, innovation and job creation in every part of Ireland. The Local Enterprise Offices are a key element of that supportive environment and I would like to pay tribute to their vision and hard work”.
3. The Taoiseach, Mr. Enda Kenny T.D. speaking at the Awards said, “Congratulations to all the micro-enterprises and small businesses that are being honoured and celebrated through the National Enterprise Awards this year. The winners here tonight are examples of the confidence, ambition and creative talent at Ireland’s core.”
1. National Enterprise Award is given for the new achievement in the energy field
Science and Technology
Tech giant ask NSA to reform surveillance laws
1. The companies write that the letter is meant “to express our support for reforms to Section 702 that would maintain its utility to the U.S. intelligence community while increasing the program’s privacy protections and transparency.”
2. This reform would “correct deficiencies that implicate the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens. Foreign intelligence information’ under FISA to reduce the likelihood of collecting information about non-US persons who are not suspected of wrongdoing.”
3. The group wrote, “Finally, there should be greater transparency around how the communications of US persons that are incidentally collected under Section 702 are searched and used, including how often 702 databases are queried using identifiers that are tied to US persons”.
1. Full form of NSA- National Security Agency
2. Headquarters: Maryland, United States
3. Founder: Harry S. Truman
4. Founded: November 4, 1952
5. Motto: “Defending Our Nation. Securing the Future.”
Scientists discover how most antimatter forms in the Milky Way
1. By the proposed theory of the antimatter: ‘Antimatter is the material composed of the antiparticle partners of ordinary matter, when antimatter meets with matter, they quickly annihilate each other to form a burst of energy in the form of gamma-rays’.
2. Since the early 1970s, within in the way of the Milky Way Galaxy, many astronomers have tried to pinpoint the source of vast deposits of antimatter.
3. The Milky Way is the home of as many as 400 billion stars and 100 billion planets, including our sun and Earth.
4. ANU researcher Roland Crocker said, “Our research provides new insight into a part of the Milky Way where we find some of the oldest stars in our galaxy. The binary system is granted one final moment of extreme drama: as the white dwarfs orbit each other, the system loses energy to gravitational waves causing them to spiral closer and closer to each other”.
1. Full form of ANU- Australian National University
2. The Australian National University is a national research university located in Canberra, the capital of Australia.
3. Chancellor: Gareth Evans AC
4. Vice-chancellor: Brian Schmidt
Rahul Dravid one of the best candidates to coach India, says Ricky Ponting
1. Karun Nair, Rishabh Pant, Sanju Samon, Hardik Pandya, the Rahul Dravid has to be taken as the best out of all these future stars of Indian cricket. Rahul Dravid was coach of the U-19 Indian team and has undoubtedly strengthened the foundation of Indian cricket by guiding the young team.
2. Ponting reportedly, “I don’t think BCCI will find many better candidates than someone like him. If he’s interested in doing the job, he will do a good job. He’s got a lot of knowledge, is very experienced and understands all three formats”.
3. Virat Kohali said, “When you have results come your way, the contribution is from every part of the team. It’s not from a single source, to say the least. Everyone works hard equally, if not more than the other person”.
4. The BCCI has started looking for fresh and young applications for the post, Anil Kumble, the first full-time coach appointed by India at the time of the Kapil Dev in 2000, has got a direct entry.
1. Full form of BCCI- Board of Control for Cricket in India
2. President: Vinod Rai (interim president)
3. Secretary: Amitabh Choudhary
4. Vice president: Rajeev Shukla
5. Headquarters: Mumbai, India
6. Chief Exec: Rahul Johri
7. Men’s coach: Anil Kumble
India knocked out of Sudirman Cup after losing to China in quarter-final
1. Team India has been eliminated out of the Sudirman Cup after the first three matches itself as the mixed doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy-Ashwini Ponappa, Kidambi Srikanth and the men’s doubles pair Satwiksairaj Rankireddy-Chirag Shetty all have lost their respective games in the quarter-finals to give China has take the lead of 3-0 on Friday.
2. PV Sindhu’s women’s singles match was against the He Bingjiao and Ashwini Ponappa-N. Sikki Reddy’s women’s doubles against Bao Yixin-Tang Jinhua but that were later cancelled, depriving India of at least playing for pride.
3. The first match of the day was the mixed doubles encounter between India’s Rankireddy-Ponappa and Lu Kai and Huang Yaqiong and the Indian pair lost 21-16, 13-21, 16-21.Rankireddy and Ponappa displayed their athleticism and power in the first game which they won against the Chinese pair.
4. The strength of the Rankireddy-Ponappa pair lies in the former’s powerful smashes and Ponappa’s practise for the match and quick interventions but seemingly the Chinese pair were quick to find a formula against the Indians and comfortably took the next two games to win the match.
1. The Sudirman Cup is the world mixed team badminton championship which takes place every two years.
2. Founder: Badminton World Federation
3. Most recent champion: China (10th title)
4. Most titles: China (10 titles)
5. Founded on- 1989
KPS Gill dead: Prime Minister Narendra Modi posts condolences on Twitter, says ‘pained by his demise’
1. The most super cop of the Punjab known as the super administrator, KPS Gill passed away in the national capital on Friday. His death was come to know by the social media and one was from Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a Twitter message, “KPS Gill will be remembered for his service to our nation in the fields of policing and security. Pained by his demise. My condolences”.
3. KPS Gill had also served as president of the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) and had received Padma Shri in 1989. He was the Director General of Police from 1988 to 1990. And from 1991 to 1995 he served the Indian Police Service.
4. He suffered eight days for his life as he was admitted to the hospital on May 18 under the care of Dr D S Rana, Chairman, Department of Nephrology and Board of Management.
1. Kanwar Pal Singh Gill was an Indian police officer.
2. He served twice as Director General of Police for the state of Punjab, India
3. Padma Shri in 1989
Menstrual Hygiene Day- May 28
- Menstrual hygiene day is an annual awareness day, which is celebrated on 28 May, it aims to break taboos and raise awareness and the importance about the importance of good menstrual hygiene management (MHM) for women and adolescent girls worldwide.
- It was initiated by the German-based NGO WASH United in the year 2014. The initiative for Menstrual Hygiene Day has received the support of over 270 global partners who are committed to making good menstrual health and hygiene a priority worldwide.
- First celebrated on-2014
- Initiated buy – German-based NGO WASH