Mahatma Gandhi’s Sabarmati Ashram celebrates 100 years
- Sabarmati Ashram Preservation and Memorial Trust director Tridip Suhrud said on Friday, “The Ashram which came into existence on June 17, 1917, will complete 100 years tomorrow. We have invited Gopalkrishna Gandhi to grace the centenary celebrations to be held at the Ashram tomorrow,”
- Filmmaker Rana said, “While celebrating 100 years of Gandhi’s Sabarmati Ashram, this small film is an attempt, in this age of social media when attention span is increasingly fractured, to retell Gandhi’s story with some interesting visual elements to the Internet generation,”
- “‘My Life is My Message’ gallery will have various exhibits depicting Mahatma’s entire life. ‘Charkha’ gallery will showcase various models of charkha (spinning wheels) from across the country,” Suhrud added.
- Senior NRI journalist Vijay Rana said, “A hundred years ago, Gandhi was thinking of mobilizing the poor, virtually naked and starving, to fight the world’s mightiest Empire without arms. Look at the sheer ingenuity, courage and perhaps the craziness of the man”
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule
- Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world
- Born: October 2, 1869, Porbandar, India
- Full name: Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
- Assassinated: January 30, 1948, New Delhi, India
- Spouse: Kasturba Gandhi (m. 1883–1944)
‘Not enough fighter jets is akin to playing cricket with just 7 players’: Air Chief Marshal B S Dhanoa flags concern
- Air Chief Marshal B S Dhanoa has said “Dominating a two-front conflict. It is akin to a cricket team playing with seven players instead of 11”.
- Air Chief Marshal Dhanoa said, “The reduced numbers place a severe handicap akin to a cricket team playing with 7 players instead of 11. Though we are operating under challenging conditions, we have devised mitigating strategies,”
- B S Dhanoa has said, “IAF’s plans of prosecuting a two-front scenario with available resources are based on a judicious force employment philosophy. Once the strengths and capabilities are augmented, we would be in a better position to overcome our combat differential and be in a position to dominate the air space,”
- Air Chief Marshal Dhanoa said, “Our roles are restricted to providing intelligence and surveillance to the forces on the ground. We use the RPAs [remotely piloted aircraft] extensively in these operations for intelligence collection, as well as helicopters, mainly for speedy movement of forces between the area of operations, and casualty evacuation. As far as terrorist threats are concerned, we do not envisage carrying out air attacks on our territory, to prevent any sliver of possibility for collateral damage”
- The Indian Air Force is the air arm of the Indian armed forces
- It is the world’s fourth largest air force in terms of both personnel and aircraft
- Helicopter: Dhruv, Chetak, Cheetah, Mi-8, Mi-17, Mi-26, Mi-25/35, HAL Light Combat Helicopter, HAL Rudra
- Motto: नभः स्पृशं दीप्तम् (Sanskrit); IAST: Nabhaḥ Spr̥śaṁ Dīptam; (Touch the Sky with Glory)
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Tanker: Ilyushin Il-78
- Fighters: Sukhoi Su-30MKI, Dassault Mirage 2000, Mikoyan MiG-29, HAL Tejas, Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21
Veg Capsules: J P Nadda sets up panel after Maneka push
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi said, “In a country where there are millions of vegetarians, this hurts religious sentiments and many people avoid medicines that are in capsule form. Representations received from the Jain community have also requested that since there is an option available in the country, consumers must not be forced to use capsules made from animal tissue.”
- The minutes of the DTAB meeting held on May 13 said, “The members (of the board) opined that unlike food, drugs are not taken for choice but are prescribed by the doctors to save lives and marking them as vegetarian or non-vegetarian origin is not desirable,”
- Health Ministry, listing three advantages of HPMC or plant-based capsules, “Vegetable capsule for vegetarian society. Suitable for the moisture-sensitive product. Unlike gelatin-based capsule, no cross-linking reaction.”
- Hypromellose, short for hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, is a semisynthetic, inert, viscoelastic polymer used as eye drops, as well as an excipient and controlled-delivery component in oral medicaments, found in a variety of commercial products
- Formula: C56H108O30
- Soluble in: Water
- Molar mass: variable
- ATC code: S01KA02 (WHO)
- UNII: 36SFW2JZ0W
- ChemSpider: 21241863
India makes pitch to fight terror as BRICS foreign ministers meet in Beijing
- On Monday India has to get signed with the countries for various discussion of the nation, with BRICS nations which have steadily expanded its agenda from financial matters to security and counter-terrorism issues facing the international community.
- Singh said, “The BRICS agenda has witnessed steady expansion. The joint working group on counter-terror concluded its meeting in May. Our NSAs are scheduled to meet next month. In their meeting last year, they reached the significant understanding to enhance BRICS cooperation in security and counter-terrorism”.
- Minister of State for External Affairs Gen. (retd) VK Singh, said, “India attaches utmost importance to engagement with BRICS countries. The Prime Minister has repeatedly underscored the role of BRICS in the international arena and stressed the importance of fostering intra-BRICS cooperation”.
- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi. He said “India looks forward to strengthening and deepening its strategic partnership and mutual dialogue with China. external Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj wanted to come but then health and other restrictions on her did not permit her. But she was looking forward to meeting you”
- BRICS is the acronym for an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
- Originally the first four were grouped as “BRIC”, before the induction of South Africa in 2010
Iraqi forces successfully storm Mosul, last stronghold of Islamic State: US reports
- Iraqi forces have started for the Islamic State-held Old City of Mosul that was began from the Sunday, at the movement they have hoped that they will be the last in the eight-month campaign to seize the militants’ stronghold.
- At there are about the 100,000 civilians have trapped in the condition of the half dead at there, with little food, water and medicine and limited access to hospitals, according to the United Nations. “This will be a terrifying time for around 100,000 people still trapped in Mosul’s Old City … now at risk of getting caught up in the fierce street fighting to come,” the International Rescue Committee (IRC) said in a statement. “This is the final chapter” in the offensive to take Mosul, said Lieutenant General Abdul Ghani al-Assadi, commander of the Counter-Terrorism Service (CTS) elite units spearheading the assault.
- “We are trying to be very careful, using only light and medium weapons … to avoid casualties among civilians,” CTS commander Major General Maan Saadi told Iraqi state TV.
- “We expect thousands of families to escape from the Old City. We made all preparations to evacuate them from the frontlines,” Army Colonel Salam Faraj told in the report of the media.
- Iraq, officially known as the Republic of Iraq is a country in Western Asia, bordered by Turkey to the north, Iran to the east, Kuwait to the southeast, Saudi Arabia to the south, Jordan to the southwest, and Syria to the west
- Capital: Baghdad
- Currency: Iraqi Dinar
- President: Fuad Masum
Far-right leader Marine Le Pen wins seat in French parliament: party
- French navigated leader Marine Le Pen has elected to parliament on Sunday and this election was get won by the seven other National Front candidates, this result of the election that beat worse-case scenarios for the party but will not be enough to paper over deep divisions.
- “We shall fight with all our strength the harmful projects of the government, which is only in place to implement the roadmap sent by Brussels,” she said in a televised address in her northern fiefdom of Henin-Beaumont.
- Gilbert Collard, an outgoing lawmaker who won his seat by a mere 123 votes said, “We should not claim victory because we suffered quite a blow. We are going to need to think seriously about … how we are organized.”
- Nice university researcher Gilles Ivaldi, a specialist of the FN said, “There are turbulent times ahead for the FN. The FN managed to minimize its losses, which wasn’t a given but there are a lot of difficulties ahead … the party is divided ideologically.”
- French is a Romance language of the Indo-European family
- It descended from the Vulgar Latin of the Roman Empire, as did all Romance languages
- French has evolved from Gallo-Romance, the spoken Latin in Gaul, and more specifically in Northern Gaul
- Writing system: Latin (French alphabet); French Braille
- Native speakers: 80 million (2016); An estimated 274 million total speakers (L1 plus L2) (2014)
- Native to: France, now worldwide; (See geographical distribution below)
- Language family: Indo-European: Italic > Romance > Western Romance > Gallo-Romance > Oïl > French
- Early forms: Old French: Middle French
- Signed forms: Signed French; (français signé)
- Pronunciation: fʁɑ̃sɛ
BANKING & FINANCE
Adani Group set up 50-MW solar PV plant in Mahoba district of Uttar Pradesh
- A globally integrated infrastructure conglomerate that is the Adani Group, on Tuesday it is announced to commissioning of a 50-megawatt solar PV plant in Mahoba district of the Uttar Pradesh, under the National Solar Mission Scheme.
- Jayant Parimal, chief executive officer (CEO), Renewable Energy Business, Adani Group said, “We are moving closer to our aim of revolutionizing the renewable energy sector in India. We would like to extend our heartiest gratitude to the UP government officials for their support and playing a huge role in helping us achieve the smooth commissioning of this plant,”
- “Till now we have generated 1472 Gw hours of solar energy from above plants, which have reduced CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) emission by 6,50,590 MT (million tons),” Adani Group stated in an official communique.
- The power that will be generated at there that will be of 21.5 kilometers (km) 132 kilovolts (kV) transmission line connecting with UP Power Transmission Corporation’s (UPTCL) Mahoba Substation, under the agreement signed with NTPC.
- Uttar Pradesh is a state in northern India
- Its city of Agra is home to the iconic Taj Mahal monument, a colossal, domed, white-marble mausoleum honoring the wife of 17th-century Mughal emperor Shah Jahan
- Nearby are the red-brick walls of Agra Fort, a fortified palace dating to the 16th and 17th centuries
- Capital Lucknow has Muslim memorial shrines Bara Imambara and calligraphy-adorned Chota Imambara
- Districts: 75
- Capitals: Lucknow, Allahabad (Judiciary)
General Atlantic in talks to buy 74 per cent stake in Karvy Computershare
- Global private equity fund General Atlantic is planning for the regaining of the new stock of the price of the 74% in India’s largest share registry company Karvy Computershare for roughly Rs 1,500 crore, it is said by the source of the person who has told this before.
- “General Atlantic has signed an exclusivity agreement with the promoters of the company after it emerged as the highest bidder for the controlling stake, beating its global peer Blackstone,” said one of the persons.
- “It will sell its 50% stake through this transaction while C Parthasarathy will cede a significant minority stake to give the incoming investor a larger stake and control of the board,” said one of the persons cited above.
- Australian have shared to the company of the registry, Computershare, which owns half the company, will sell its entire stake while Indian partner and Karvy Group owner C Parthasarathy will sell around 24%, the people said.
- Karvy Computershare Founded: 2003
- Parent organizations: Computershare, Karvy Consultants Limited
Science and Technology
NASA reveals the first target for James Web Megatelescope
- Scientists of the NASA have selected that some object should be observed with the James Webb Space Telescope; this telescope is the colossal instrument that will allow the researchers to inspect about the 13.5 billion years back in time.
- Eric Smith, James Webb Space Telescope Director at NASA Headquarters in Washington said, “From the very first galaxies after the Big Bang to searching for chemical fingerprints of life on Enceladus, Europa, and exoplanets like Trappist-1e, Webb will be looking at some incredible things in our universe,”
- The new objects that have to be observed by the James Webb Space Telescope that will be Guaranteed Time Observations, which dedicated time to the scientists involved in the planning and building of the telescope’s four instruments, it is imagined by the NASA.
- Dr. Ken Sembach, director of the Space Telescope Science Institute said, “The definition of observations to be conducted by the Webb Guaranteed Time Observers is a major milestone along the timeline for producing revolutionary science with this incredibly powerful observatory,”
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Formed- July 29, 1958; 58 years ago
- Robert M. Lightfoot, Jr. – Administrator
- Lesa Roe – Deputy Administrator
China sets new record for quantum entanglement en route to build new communication network
- In the term of the completion the portion to renew of the new kind of internet completely that is secure and impervious to hackers, for this, the China has pulled off a major feat in particle physics.
- Professor Ping Koy Lam from the ANU’s Department of Quantum Science told the media last year, before China launched its first quantum satellite, “In physics we are trying, and we have demonstrated some encryption techniques that rely on the law of physics rather than the mathematical complexity and we call this quantum key distribution,”
- Prof Lam said, “For that, to work you need to send laser beams that carry certain information, quantum information, and then you need the senders and the receivers to get together to find a protocol to secure the communication. We can show that this kind of quantum encryption works in a city radius or at most between two nearby cities,”
- China has launched its first quantum satellite in the August that is last year and in this if the all the things will happen by the plan then to create a system of communication which relies on entanglement.
- China is a populous nation in East Asia whose vast landscape encompasses grassland, desert, mountains, lakes, rivers and more than 14,000km of coastline
- Capital Beijing mixes modern architecture with historic sites such as the Forbidden City palace complex and Tiananmen Square
- Shanghai is a skyscraper-studded global financial center
- The iconic Great Wall of China runs east-west across the country’s north
- Capital: Beijing
- Currency: Renminbi
- President: Xi Jinping
In another corner of London, India record biggest win over Pakistan
- On the Sunday match of the Hockey the India defeated the Pakistan by 7-1 badly, and by this, India has registered his third victory of the consecutive, and secure the place in the quarter-finals of the Hockey World League Semi-Final that is on Sunday.
- In this the Dragflicker Harmanpreet Singh (13th minute, 33rd), Talwinder Singh (21st, 24th), Akashdeep Singh (47th, 59th) and Pradeep Mor (49th) scored for India at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre, while Pakistan’s consolation goal came from the stick of Muhammad Umar Bhutta (57th).
- Oltman’s have said like the Shoiab Akhtar’s summation of Pakistan’s cricket team’s who has said this against the India. That is the paceman of the India who has created the event like the ICC events.
- By the win of 7-1 was India’s biggest win and for Pakistan, it is a bad defeat, by boarding the 7-4 effort against arch-rivals in 2003 Champions Trophy and 2010 Commonwealth Games.
- The Pakistan cricket team, also known as The Green Shirts or The Shaheens is the national cricket team of Pakistan
- Captain: Sarfraz Ahmed
- Coach: Mickey Arthur (Head coach)
- Location: Pakistan
Brooks Koepka wins 117th US Open Championship
- Brooks Koepka has shown his back-nine birdie blitz by winning the US Open that was played on Sunday, by becoming the seventh consecutive first-time winner have created the new record-equalling victory at Erin Hills by four strokes.
- Brooks Koepka said, “That’s probably one of the coolest things I’ve ever experienced and to do it on Father’s Day it’s pretty neat. I felt confident all week. So to feel as confident as I did on a Sunday of a major and coming down the stretch was pretty neat. I didn’t exactly get my dad a card, so this works.”
- Harman said, “It bites a little bit right now. But Brooks played so well today. The conditions were so tough. That was kind of lights out. I mean, you’ve got to tip your cap. He went and won the golf tournament on the back nine. I’ve done it before, but he did it today.”
- Koepka was the first player to strike, and make the birdie on the first to go to 12 under and take a share of the lead. Then he started his feet by the straightforward birdie to move to 13 under.
- Highest governing body- R&A, USGA, International Golf Federation
- First played- 15th century, Scotland
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
64th Filmfare Awards South 2017: NTR’s Nannaku Prematho, Irudhi Suttru win top honors
- It was the memorable night of the 64th Filmfare Awards! because of the first time in the history of the Filmfare awards the awards is given to the for Best Film were given to the most critically acclaimed films of 2016 across all the South Indian languages with Pellichoopulu (Telugu), Joker (Tamil), Thithi (Kannada) and Maheshinte Prathikaram (Malayalam) winning the top award in respective languages.
- “I began my acting career at the age of seven and went on to act in nearly 200 films. I’ve also had the privilege of working with some of the biggest stars in Malayalam cinema like Prem Nazir and Tamil cinema. Once I started directing films, I had no clue that I’ll end up making 44 films. With all your love and blessings, I hope I get to direct 50 films in near future,” Vijaya Nirmala said when she got a standing ovation from the audience.
- Speaking at the event, NTR said, “Nannaku Prematho will always be a special film in my career. The film released within a year after my son was born and I learned so much from the film about the relationship between a father and his son. I’ll always be thankful to Sukumar for giving me this film.” a
- Tharun Bhascker, the director of Pellichoopulu, said, “This award is for all the short-filmmakers out there who have big dreams in their eyes. I’ve never gotten awards when I played a good guy. I guess I’ll have to continue being the villain in my films now.”
- Awarded for- Excellence in cinematic achievements
- Country- India
- Presented by- Filmfare
- First awarded- 21 March 1954
- Last awarded- 14 January 2017
Award-winning matador dies after being gored in bullfight
- An award-winning Spanish matador who has created the great name in the Matador has died after the gored in the lungs at the time of the bullfight that was held in the small French town of Mont de Marsan. Ivan Fandino was the professional matador, and was at the age of 36, accidentally trapped by the bull caught and the bull’s horns at the Aire-sur-l’Adour bullfighting festival that was held on Saturday.s
- Juan del Alamo, the matador who killed the bull which gored Mr. Fandiño, told to the media, “I have no words; I can’t believe it. He was in a lot of pain from the goring, but nobody expected it to end up like this. None of us understand how it could have happened; it was all so fast. The bull knocked him down with its hindquarters and he fell face down.”
- The 36-year-old, Ivan Fandino the professional matador, was the originally from Orduña in the Basque Country, he was doing the matador for 12 years, and from this has won the number of awards.
- Before this, the Fandino was seriously injured at least twice. In 2014, he got injured and had to get unconscious by a bull in France and after the one year, he had thrown in the air by the bull in Pamplona, bullfight festival of Spain.
- Iván Fandiño Barros was a Spanish bullfighter
- Fandiño died of injuries he sustained after being gored by a bull on June 17, 2017, in Aire-sur-l’Adour, France
- Fandiño stumbled after he tripped on a cape used to engage and distract the bull
World Refugee Day
- World Refugee Day, which is the world observance day and it, is observed in the June 20 every year, the main aim of the World Refugee day is to raising awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world.
- On the date of 4th December 2000, the United Nations General Assembly in Resolution 55/76 decided that, from 2001, on 20 June will be celebrated as World Refugee Day.
- To see this day of celebration, General Assembly has marked and established 2001 as the 50th anniversary of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees.
- In the Roman Catholic Church of the Christens, the World Day of Migrants and Refugees is celebrated in the month of the January every year, having been instituted in 1914 by Pope Pius X.
- First celebrated on – June 20, 2001
- Aim of celebrating- To raising awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world