CRPF launches toll-free helpline madagaar to assist Kashmiri people
- The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has announced to launch the toll-free helpline no for the security purposes that are called “Madadgaar”. This announcement is done on Friday to help Kashmiri people in distress in a bid to regain the lost trust of the people in the security forces; it is said by the official report of media.
- Jammu and Kashmir Governor said, “Due to some ill-fated incidents, a sense of distrust has been created in Kashmir. This helpline will bring back the lost bond between uniform forces and the people. It will be used in case of medical emergency in winters when there are road blockades due to heavy snowfall in far-off areas. This new help line will also act as a bridge between sufferings of people and the government,”
- A CRPF statement said, “It will also help victims of drug addiction by referring them to counselors, provide important information on tourism, especially to pilgrims visiting Vaishno Devi and Amarnath shrines. It will also take action on women safety calls,”
- Jammu and Kashmir Governor N.N. Vohra said in the statement, “merely as villains of peace and perpetrators of violence and injustice but as well-wishers of the people of Kashmir who sincerely wish to witness peace, tranquility, and prosperity return to the Valley,”
- Full form of CRPF- Central Reserve Police Force
- Motto- Service and Loyalty
- Formed- 27 July 1939
- Minister responsible – Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- Agency executive- Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar, IPS, Director General, CRPF
Sushma Swaraj inaugurates KIP for young overseas Indians
- External Affairs Minister of India Mrs. Sushma Swaraj has installed and inaugurated ‘Know India Programme'(KIP), for young overseas Indians in the celebration of the function in the New Delhi on Sunday. Mrs. Swaraj said that the program is aimed at promoting awareness on different facets of life in India and the progress made by the country in various fields such as economic and education.
- The Know India Programme is having started from the three weeks of the month that orientation programme for the Indian diaspora. It gives the new and the unique to the students and young professionals of Indian origin to visit India, share their views, expectations and experiences and develop closer bonds with the contemporary India.
- The External Affairs Minister announced the opening of new 149 post office passport Seva Kendra in the country soon, on the occasion. The total number of such Kendras to 251, Mrs. Swaraj said this will take.
- She also said that government is making all out efforts that a person should not travel more than 50 kilometers to get his/her passport. Communications Minister Manoj Sinha was also present at the event.
- Sushma Swaraj is an Indian politician, former Supreme Court lawyer and the current Minister of External Affairs of India, in office since 26 May 2014
- Governor: Vijai Kapoor
Government announces 149 new post office passport Kendras in the second phase
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said, “When I started at the Ministry, we had only 77 PSKs to cater to the whole nation. I realized that distance was the biggest hurdle for people to get their passports. We planned to set a target and decided that no individual should have to travel more than 50 km for a passport,”
- Sushma Swaraj said, “With that criterion for selection, today I announce 149 new POPSKs,” she said.
- By this plan, one should not have to travel WSO for the making of the passport as the government has come up with a plan to open passport centers within a radius of 50 km.
- Arun Chatterjee, joint secretary (consular, passport and visa division), said 52 POPSKs have been opened in different post offices till now. On an average, these offices handle 3,500 appointments per week.
- External Affairs Minister- Sushma Swaraj
Atal Pension Yojana(APY) can now be subscribed digitally through [email protected]
- Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) has now announced and published, [email protected] which will help in the complete digital enrolment process. This initiative is the new start up of the government taken by PFRDA for expansion of outreach of Atal Pension Yojana (APY), to give the additional push to cover the as yet unreached population with greater ease.
- The government said in a statement, “This is the latest in the series of various initiatives taken by PFRDA for expansion of outreach of Atal Pension Yojana (APY), to give an additional push to cover the as yet un-reached population with greater ease.”
- In the regiment APY, in this plan, all the member of the plan will receive the minimum guaranteed pension of Rs. 1000 per month, Rs. 2000 per month, Rs. 3000 per month, Rs. 4000 per month, Rs. 5000 per month, at the age of 60 years, it will depend on their contributions, which itself would vary on the age of joining the APY.
- This plan was already having planned in the year 2015 Budget speech by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in February 2015.
- Full form of PFRDA- Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority
- Full form of APY- Atal Pension Yojana
- Key people- Arun Jaitley
- Launched- Original launch in 2010-11
- Relaunched on- 9 May 2015; 2 years ago
Arun Jaitely’s four visits to South Korea
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley going to launch the new business man for the different companies and institutional investors in the couple days of the visit of the South Korea which will start on Monday.
- It is said in the statement, “With this, Republic of Korea became one of the first on G-7 countries to become an ODA contributor in India,”
- Ficci said in a statement, “Indo-Korean relations have been growing over the past few years and this visit shall further strengthen mutually beneficial trade and investment relations between the two countries. They also agreed to establish a mechanism at senior official levels, to identify good infrastructure projects in India, to draw upon these funds,”
- It is said in the statement, “With the earlier signing of an Inter-Governmental Agreement on Strategic Partnership in Defence Production, and the finalization of a Make-in-India Project to manufacture 155mm Self-Propelled. Artillery Guns in India, the two Ministers expressed satisfaction at the rapid growth of ties since the last meeting of Defence Ministers in April 2015,”
- Full form of ODA- Official development assistance
- DAC first used the term in 1969
India-Afgan air freight corridor to open soon
- The Ministry of External Affairs’ official spokesperson Gopal Bagley said, “The first flight (under the dedicated India-Afghan air freight corridor) is likely to operate in next couple of days and will carry Indian goods to Afghanistan and their products to India.”
- “The flight will take Indian products to Afghanistan and will bring Afghan products to India. The first flight will be from Delhi to Kabul and will start this weekend or next week,” Baglay said.
- “The freight corridor between India and Afghanistan is on the verge of becoming a reality,” External Affairs Ministry spokesman Gopal Baglay told the weekly media briefing here.
- “During Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s visit to India last year, we had discussions on establishing an air freight corridor between the two countries and we are happy to announce that first flight is likely to operate in the weekend or early next week. We are working out the details of the first flight,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Gopal Baglay said on Friday.
- Afghanistan, officially the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, is a landlocked country located in South Asia and Central Asia
- It has a population of 33 million, making it the 42nd most populous country in the world
- Capital: Kabul
- Capital and largest city: Kabul; 34°32′N 69°08′E / 34.533°N 69.133°E
- President: Ashraf Ghani
- Population: 32.53 million (2015) World Bank
- Official languages: Pashto, Dari
Bahrain orders Qatar troops to leave: Source
- The soldiers, of the US Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT) who are likely more important for the nation and which is headquartered in Bahrain, they had said for the leave the coalition and may depart within the next 48 hours, the source told AFP.
- It is said by the source, “The Bahrainis told the US general in command of the base that Qatari soldiers must leave. They are still in the base but likely to leave within the next two days.”
- President Donald Trump has signed with the with Saudi Arabia and its allies, including Bahrain, the UAE, and Egypt, claiming Doha had “historically been a founder of terrorism at a very high level”.
- Qatar’s Ministry of Defense said on Wednesday, that the country had signed a $12-billion deal with the United States to buy F-15 fighter jets from Washington.
- Bahrain, a nation comprising more than 30 islands in the Persian Gulf, has been at the center of major trade routes since antiquity
- In its modern capital, Manama, the acclaimed Bahrain National Museum showcases artifacts from the ancient Dilmun civilization that flourished in the region for millennia
- The city’s thriving Bab al-Bahrain bazaar offers wares ranging from colorful handwoven fabrics and spices to pearls
- Capital: Manama
- Currency: Bahraini dinar
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI initiates Prompt Corrective Action against Bank of Maharashtra as NPA mounts
- The India’s main lending banks of the banks that is Reserve Bank of India have started new structure for the corrective action on Bank of MaharashtraBSE -2.76 % that will put restrictions on the banking activities. This RBI has also mentioned in his report that the action is taken on the bank in view of the high level of bad loans.
- The net NPAs of the bank rose to 11.76 per cent in the March-end 2017, while return on assets declined to (-) 1.09 per cent. By this changing of the assets, the bank reported a loss of Rs 455.4 crore for the fourth quarter, while for entire fiscal 2016-17 booked loss of Rs 1,372 crore.
- “This action will not have any material impact on the performance of the bank and will contribute to improving the internal controls of the bank and improvement of its asset quality, profitability, and efficiency,” NPA, BoM said.
- Rating agency the ICRA has said in the statement that the 16 government owned banks out of 21 (excluding SBI associates) and two out of 16 private banks might come under the PCA framework
- The Reserve Bank of India is India’s central banking institution, which controls the monetary policy of the Indian rupee
- Founded: April 1, 1935, Kolkata, India
- Governor: Urjit Patel
Connaught place is ninth most expensive office market in world; Mumbai lags
- CBRE India & Southeast Asia chairman Anshuman Magazine said: “Despite Connaught Place having limited supply of prime office space, its location in the heart of the national Capital, coupled with great infrastructure and connectivity to other parts of the city, makes it be an ideal location for any business to be in.”
- “With India’s commercial real estate segment continuing to do well, prime locations across the country, including Connaught Place in Delhi and Bandra Kurla Complex and Nariman Point in Mumbai, continue to witness demand for prime office space from occupiers,” said Anshuman Magazine, chairman-India & Southeast Asia, CBRE.
- “The top 10 list remains largely consistent, reflecting the ongoing strength of these global gateway cities in attracting and maintaining a successful occupier base,” said the report.
- “This was largely attributed to the slowdown in the year-on-year growth in Asia Pacific (1.2%) and the Middle East and Africa (0.8%). On the other hand, occupancy costs in the Americas increased by 3.6% year-on-year,” the report said.
- CBRE Group, Inc. is an American commercial real estate company with headquarters in Los Angeles, California
- As of its successful 2011 bid to acquire part of ING, CBRE was the world’s largest real estate investment manager
- Headquarters: Los Angeles, California, United States
- CEO: Robert E. Sulentic (Dec 1, 2012–)
- Founded: August 27, 1906
Science and Technology
Electric propulsion to usher in new era of satellite launches
- Dr. K Sivan, director of Thiruvananthapuram-based Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre said, “With the new system, we can reduce the quantity of chemical propellant carried on a satellite and thus carry a heavier payload to space. The EP system, also being used by Nasa and Russia, has the capability to eventually lower the cost of launches and can also be used for deep-space and interplanetary missions,”
- “The EP system gives small but accurate thrust to a satellite in its orbit. It can be used for course correction of a satellite during its life duration,” said a top source in Isro.
- “The EP system basically converts solar energy into electrical energy and then kinetic energy by generating thrust that propels a satellite. The system just needs a solar panel and components for charging ions,” he said.
- “However, a G-series satellite will be launched from the spaceport in French Guiana, Kourou, as this communication satellite weighs 5.6 tons. Another satellite Gsat-20, which is five times more powerful than the one that will be launched from French Guiana, is based on a new technology that reduces its weight to just 3.5 tons.
- This satellite will be launched by our ‘Baahubali’ GSLV Mk III,” says Tapan Misra, director of Ahmedabad-based Space Applications Centre.
- The Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre is a major space research center of the Indian Space Research Organisation, focusing on rocket and space vehicles for India’s satellite program
- It is located in Thiruvananthapuram, in the Indian state of Kerala
- Employees: Unknown (2008)
- Founded: November 21, 1963
- Agency executive: K. Sivan, Director
- Parent Organization: Indian Space Research Organisation
NASA’s Orion spacecraft passes key safety test
- Nasa’s Orion spacecraft, have designed to take astronauts to deep space destinations such as the Moon and Mars, has successfully completed its test for the location set for its critical safety systems.
- This milestone brings Nasa’s Orion spacecraft, is slightly just a back and before from the first flight atop NASA’s Space Launch System, Exploration Mission-1 (scheduled for 2019), and to eventually enable humans to explore beyond the Moon, Mars and other destinations beyond low-Earth orbit.
- “The launch abort system is an important part of making sure our crew members stay safe on the launch pad and on their way to space,” said manager for Orion’s launch abort system.
- Robert Decoursey, manager for Orion’s launch abort system said, “The launch abort system is an important part of making sure our crew members stay safe on the launch pad and on their way to space. It takes us another step closer to proving the safety of our spacecraft as we prepare for missions beyond the moon,”
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Formed- July 29, 1958; 58 years ago
- Robert M. Lightfoot, Jr.- Administrator
- Lesa Roe- Deputy Administrator
No ICC World T20 in 2018, next edition in 2020
- In the next year that is in 2018, the ICC will host the Under-19 World Cup and the 50-over World Cup qualifiers in that tourname[nt there will be the last four teams in the ICC ODI rankings will get a chance to qualify for the 2019 championship in the UK. In the next World Cup that will be of the 10-team event.
- “Yes, it is true that we are skipping with World T20 edition in 2018. Look, no venue was decided. The primary reason is there are too many bilateral series happening between member nations. It was not possible to schedule the tournament in 2018,” an influential ICC source told PTI about the development.
- “Yes, the tournament will return in 2020. It could be South Africa or Australia. The other reason apart from the bilateral series was that with too many ICC events on the anvil, the member nations were also of the view that it needed to be spaced out,” the source said.
- England had to be offered USD 143 million, Zimbabwe Cricket USD 94 million and the remaining seven Full Members USD 132 million each.
- Full form od ICC- International Cricket Council
- President: Zaheer Abbas
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- CEO: Dave Richardson (Jun 28, 2012–)
- Founded: June 15, 1909
- Motto: Great Sports Great Spirit
India vs Pakistan, ICC Champions Trophy 2017 Final: Sunday belonged to Pakistan
- It was his chasing moment for the India with a run of 339 and with a chase, there are the wickets also started to tumble, leaving the team tottering at 54/5, it was the best movement for the India for all the time in the Cricket history with the Ind-Pak match.
- Pakistan skipper Sarfraz Ahmed said after the momentous victory, “After the India match (in the group stage), one thing I said to my boys was the tournament hasn’t finished yet. It’s a very important boost for us to win this. When we arrived here, we just played like we have nothing to lose.”
- Imran Khan, Pakistan cricket legend, was in mourning tweeted on June 4 after India cantered to a 124-run win in their first match of the tournament, “It’s painful to watch Pak being thrashed by India without putting up a fight,”
- Virat Kohli has tweeted on his blog, “I want to congratulate Pakistan and their supporters. They had an amazing tournament. The way they turned things round speaks volumes for the talent they have. It’s disappointing for us but I have a smile on my face because I’m very proud of how we’ve played in this tournament. They outplayed us, they were more intense and passionate on the day.”
- Full form od ICC- International Cricket Council
- President: Zaheer Abbas
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- CEO: Dave Richardson (Jun 28, 2012–)
- Founded: June 15, 1909
- Motto: Great Sports Great Spirit
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Queen of Dhwayah, Kerala’s first beauty pageant for transgender women
- Kerala is going to set the new era for the transgender beauty pageant, for this contest the audition of the beauty was held in the Kochi, that held in the recently. In the audition, there were about 40 transgenders had participated, out of which nine were selected.
- Celebrity makeup artist and one of the organizers of the beauty pageant Renju Renjimar tells us, “The idea is to give transpeople more confidence, to be active in the mainstream. Though Kerala has become more trans-friendly on paper, we are still discriminated against. We hope this pageant will help transpeople come out of their shells. I’m happy to say that more than 40 transpeople turned up just for the first audition.”
- Sheethal Shyam, a transgender activist said, “Compared to women, men harass transgender persons more, so I would like to adopt a boy and teach him how to respect transgender persons, and how they are equal to others. Let him grow up by learning to respect all equally,”
- Speaking to TNM, state Health Minister KK Shailaja said, “Transgender persons are still not fully included in the society. There are engineering graduates who were denied jobs just because of their identity. The Kerala government has done many things for transgender persons. We have launched a lot of schemes for them. And we will continue to develop a lot of schemes so that transgender persons can come into the mainstream fully.”
- Kerala, a state on India’s tropical Malabar Coast, has nearly 600km of Arabian Sea shoreline
- It’s known for its palm-lined beaches and backwaters, a network of canals. Inland are the Western Ghats, mountains whose slopes support tea, coffee and spice plantations as well as wildlife
- National parks like Eravikulam and Periyar, plus Wayanad and other sanctuaries, are home to elephants, langur monkeys, and tigers
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
Harry Potter’s actor Sam Beazley dies at 10
- British actor Sam Beazley, who had played the role of the Professor Everard in 2007’s Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, has died today at the age of 101 years. Beazley passed away in his sleep on the morning June 12, according to London newspaper The Times.
- Beazley has started his acting career on the stage show as a teenager in the early 1930s, he has appeared with the John Gielgud in productions of Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet.
- He has also served in the World War II, Beazley owned an antique shop for several decades before returning to acting at the age of 75. In addition to the Harry Potter role, his other film credits include 2004’s Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason and Johnny English (2003).
- On television, he appeared in Pride and Prejudice (1995) as Vicar Longbourn, Midsommer Murders, and Doctors. He most recently appeared in guest roles in Foyle’s War, Kingdom, and Casualty, all in 2007.
- Harry Potter
- Author: J. K. Rowling
- Number of books: 7
- First book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Characters: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, More
- Genres: Fantasy Fiction, Drama, Young Adult fiction, Mystery, Thriller, Bildungsroman
- Publishers: Bloomsbury Publishing (UK), Scholastic Corporation (US)
World Sauntering Day
- World Sauntering Day is celebrated on the June 19 in every year. The main aim of this day is to take aware to the people to slow down and enjoy life as opposed to rushing through it. Sometimes it is also called as the International Sauntering Day.
- World Sauntering Day firstly celebrated in the year 1979 by W.T. Rabe in response to the growing popularity of jogging. It is believed to have begun at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in Michigan, USA.
- The Grand Hotel has the world’s longest porch of the height 660 feet (200 m). The idea behind the day was to encourage people to slow down and appreciate the world around them.
- In some countries, World Sauntering Day is celebrated on August 28.
- Firstly celebrated in the year 1979 by W.T. Rabe
- The main aim of this day is to take aware to the people to slow down and enjoy life as opposed to rushing through it